Thread: Carnyx

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Default Carnyx

Just wondering, having seen an Aedui warrior holding one in the Generals Prievew and Pritanoi warriors using them in the Pritanoi preview, whether the sound of the Carnyx will be heard in EBII battles or if the Carnyx playing unit will have some morale boosting quality?

Also in case anyone is interested or is daring to dismiss the Carnyx as "just another trumpet" here is a short sample of the sounds that a Carnyx could produce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVAWwWi0DbE
    Last edited by Brennus; 03-12-2011 at 12:04.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Default Re: Carnyx

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    Just wondering, having seen an Aedui warrior holding one in the Generals Prievew and Pritanoi warriors using them in the Pritanoi preview, whether the sound of the Carnyx will be heard in EBII battles or if the Carnyx playing unit will have some morale boosting quality?
    There is no Carnyx playing unit. The soldier holding the model is an officer.

There will be no morale boosting quality to the Carnyx. Nearly all armies used music and musicians to keep time and act as a method of communication across the battlefield. Either they would all have to have that morale boosting quality (nullifying the affect) or none will. The alternative is just a bit "gamey".

As for the sound, yes, I believe that the Carnyx (or suitable substitute) will eventually make it into the game. Most probably as apart of the sound played when the unit charges.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

This video sounds a lot like the "didgeridoo" sound you hear as barbarian campaign music. I always liked it but thought it was somewhat ahistorical. Now I like it even more!

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post

There will be no morale boosting quality to the Carnyx. Nearly all armies used music and musicians to keep time and act as a method of communication across the battlefield. Either they would all have to have that morale boosting quality (nullifying the affect) or none will. The alternative is just a bit "gamey".

As for the sound, yes, I believe that the Carnyx (or suitable substitute) will eventually make it into the game. Most probably as apart of the sound played when the unit charges.

Foot
    In fact the carnyx sound is already in the game When you give an order to a unit, the bearer plays his carnyx and if you zoom close enough you can hear it. We used sound samples from various videos including the one posted above.
    Last edited by Gustave; 03-12-2011 at 14:39.

was nice to hear the sound of carnyx

Member Member Leon the Batavian's Avatar

Great video.

I think they had 2 meter Beer in that pipe for long journey's.

"War makes thirsty"

-Leon the Batavian

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post

Foot
    Thanks Foot!

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    In fact the carnyx sound is already in the game When you give an order to a unit, the bearer plays his carnyx and if you zoom close enough you can hear it. We used sound samples from various videos including the one posted above.
    Glad to hear this! I've always liked it when factions have a variety of interesting (and accurate) horn sounds when they charge as opposed to the same horn every time.
    from Megas Methuselah, for some information on Greek colonies in Iberia.

I want to buy one of those things are they available to the general public?

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

very nice features foot!

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Awsome....thanks for sharing.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

I am sure drums were not so effective on demoralizing Romans in comparison to Parthian cataphracts who pulled out their leather camouflage, and shone in the middle of the desert.

I do not think war cries, naked ones, camels, elephants has no moralizing effect on a disciplined Legion.

P.S. BTW, I like drums when when I charge thanks to great contributions to sound mods of EB.
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 03-17-2011 at 15:39.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

As long as a victory seems sure, and the men have confidence in their general(s)/commanding officers, this might be very true. But once the battle odds turn bad, and those pro´s would see a horde of elephants charging their rear, i´m quite sure their thoughts would be like "that´s it..." ( same goes to a multiple ferocious charge of painted/naked dudes/cavalry while the pro´s have been weared down, trying to keep in formation, beeing on defensive ). Also, professional soldiers do not fight for glory, nor do they risk their lives if only to survive. They know when to duck, and to avoid dangers, no place for heroic deads, this guys fight for living, it´s their job, not their destiny. Elites, on the other side, would definetly fight to the end, no matter what, that´s why they are called so! Be it fanatism, devotion to lord/land/faith, be it their codex. Just my two cents ( been talking to some war veterans, this guys weren´t keen to throw their lives away, but to survive - if you don´t learn it, you won´t see the end of the fight/war.
    - 10 mov. points :P

I completely agree with you.
    I want to add something more, but it will kill the topic.
    Romans were soldiers celts, most greeks, most levy troops were warriors. But to discuss the difference between soldier and warrior we can write thousands of pages.

A good general, loyal and disciplined troops is key to victory no matter which circumstances they are in.

My Submods for EB
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished

Do you also include officers who are able and brave enough to make decisive decisions on their own. And act at the right place and time ?

Whermacht Soldiers did their "duty". Waffen SS fought till inevitable bitter end. Soldiers / Warriors ?

Interesting subject.

Just compare "Achilles" with "Leonidas" to sum up...

My Submods for EB

for a society to keep a soldier it comes somewhat cheap then to keep a warrior

a warrior is someone who stakes it´s land catle slaves wife sons honour the memory of his forefathers every time he enter an arena or a batlefield a soldier does his job and survives and if he dies he doesn´t get payed (the soldiers who died in the punic war meant their wifes would loose their lands to the rich landowners since they where needed back home to plough those lands)

also warriors are political liabilities for a goverment who wishes a more centralised state (i remembered the parnii becoming farmers and all of a sudden only the king could keep a strong and large enough heard to continue to fight on horseback) but warriors are the best ensurance that a society remains free or will be very hard to tackle down since you can defeat 1 2 3 4 5 armies but the warriors will never quit as i said lands catle prestige wifes slaves (durkheims work on social ascension can explain it better sociologically why it was better to die then to survive defeated)

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leon the Batavian View Post
    Wehrmacht Soldiers did their "duty". Waffen SS fought till inevitable bitter end. Soldiers / Warriors ?
    Interesting, do you have a source on taht?

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

This isn't the place for discussing WW2 infantry, take it to PM or the backroom.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    This isn't the place for discussing WW2 infantry, take it to PM or the backroom.
    Slight correction: the Backroom is for discussion of contemporary politics. WW2 questions are best asked in the Monastery.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by ziegenpeter View Post
    Interesting, do you have a source on taht?
    It was just a question a long the line of what is a soldier / warrior. I have no Idea just wondering about it if it applies to modern warfare as well as ancient times.

I think some just did their duty while others were fanatics etc..... Is a soldier someone who is doing a job and a warrior a fanatic I don't know was thinking out load. Maybe you can PM me about your thoughts thank you.

But as others said no WW2 talk here which is fair and clear.
    Last edited by Leon the Batavian; 03-23-2011 at 22:46.

Now I finally know what that didgeridoo sound was. Many thanks!

That wasn't a Carnyx, it would have been one of the horns found on the Prehistoric Music Ireland website (the people who made the music).
    Last edited by bobbin; 03-24-2011 at 13:08.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    That wasn't a Carnyx, it would have been one of the horns found on the Prehistoric Music Ireland website (the people who made the music).
    Oh okay, they sound quite similar.