Thread: Trivial Script Idea

Default Trivial Script Idea

I don't know if the trivial script will be used for EB II like it was for EB I, but I was thinking about putting Indian music into EB for the Mauryans, which led me to thinking about the trivial script.

As we all know, the trivial script swaps out files such as the EDU and the modesty patch, and makes changes to text files and the shortcut. So what I'm thinking, and I'm wondering if this is even possible, is could the trivial script be used to overcome the culture limit by swapping UI's and editing the music file?

So lets say for example, and I'm speaking purely hypothetically, that Meroe is a faction. This hypothetical faction is part of the Semitic culture group, since that culture is the closest match (maybe not, but this just for example so bear with me). Before I load up EB, I already know that I'm going to be playing as Meroe because I started a campaign as them the day before. I use the trivial script to change the UI and music of the Semitic culture to something more appropriate for Meroe, so when I'm playing the game it's as if there is a Meroe culture group.

I'm also thinking that the trivial script could be used in this way to create separate UI's for the Celts, Germans, etc. rather than having a catch-all for the entire barbarian group.

I'm not a programmer or a modder, so I'm guessing there is some reason this wouldn't work or it would've been implemented already, but I thought I would put my thoughts out there just in case they could work and if not then I could at least find out why they wouldn't work and learn something in the process.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

Default Re: Trivial Script Idea

The problem with the culture limit is not the UI and music files as far as I know. The problem is that the same culture share the same buildings, appearence of cities etc. I could be wrong, though.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Yea, I thought about that. I figured since they have to be represented with inaccurate cities anyway, that could be overlooked.

That would be possible, but seeing as we already have a tonne of work to do, I don't think we would be able to handle separate uis for each individual faction that could be swapped out by a trivial script.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

And why would you want different UI's for factions like the Aedui and the Arveni anyway?
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 07-16-2011 at 12:04.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

i think a UI-swapper script is a very good idea, maybe for some interface submods or later releases
    at least judging by how well it works in the "third age" or "call of warhammer" ui submods
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

It's a nice idea but like Foot said, it is just too much work for us to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    And why would you want different UI's for factions like the Aedui and the Arveni anyway?
    I wasn't thinking separate UIs for each faction, but rather a Celtic UI, Germanic UI, etc. So you could show the differences between the different cultures that are represented by the "barbarian" culture group.

And by way of miracle a programmer for afar arrives on the scene, ready to do the EB team's bidding, preparing a very lovely concoction that deals out appropriate graphical interfaces for each of the factions.

Chuchip it's a possibility, certainly, and a very good one, but someone would have to write it. Now I am wondering if it will indeed be a later possibility from the team or instead up to fans to write as a sub-mod.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Heh well it's good to know it's at least doable, I was thinking there would be some reason I hadn't thought of that it wouldn't work.

Isn't it a matter of switching out files? The TS already does that for EDU, menu and map.rwm in original EB.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

this would be so great for cultures unfortunately too similar in their presentation, like Celts, Lusotanians and Germanics