Thread: Illyrian Pirates

Default Illyrian Pirates

In EB2 the Illyrian pirates should be emphasized. In EB1 the Northern seas around Germania, and Britania are swarming with full stacks of pirates, I dont see where thios has a basis in history during that time.

So, if possible, the EB2 team should have full stacks of pirates in the modern day Adriatic Sea on the Illyrian cost, Illyrian pirates where notorious during this time period and even made raids on roman ships and coasts. Pirates where also present around Crete and the coasts of Lycia.

So if u guys could implement this it make the gaming experience more realistic and enjoyable, thanks.

Default Re: Illyrian Pirates

Reason there are swarms of pirates in the northern seas is due to random pirate generation, and also the AI tends to move its things somewhat predictably undesirable- They could put large groups of Pirates in the mediterranean, but they have a limited ability to stop them from wandering out towards the Atlantic Ocean.

Didn't the Saxons become sea raiders because they decided to stop fighting each other and go raid other people instead?

In EB, Sweboz always takes over Denmark and southern Scandinavia. (unlike historically.) Assuming that under Sweboz rule the inhabitants would stop fighting each other, it's not beyond possibility that many of them would take to the seas instead where they can raid to their hearts' content.

Masses of pirates in the north seems fine to me. Actually I wish that each pirate ship would spawn with one unit of infantry on board, so pirate ships could actually land troops. That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Newstone View Post
    In EB2 the Illyrian pirates should be emphasized. In EB1 the Northern seas around Germania, and Britania are swarming with full stacks of pirates, I dont see where thios has a basis in history during that time.

So, if possible, the EB2 team should have full stacks of pirates in the modern day Adriatic Sea on the Illyrian cost, Illyrian pirates where notorious during this time period and even made raids on roman ships and coasts. Pirates where also present around Crete and the coasts of Lycia.

So if u guys could implement this it make the gaming experience more realistic and enjoyable, thanks.
    The swarms of pirates in the north were due to fact that there were a lot of rebel provinces there coupled with the poor naval capabilities of the barbarian factions, it wasn't anything intentional.

You set the pirate spawn rate from the regions bordering the oceans though right? At least in MTW2 I think that is how it works. So the northern regions could have a much lower spawn rate than the Adriatic and a few other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    You set the pirate spawn rate from the regions bordering the oceans though right? At least in MTW2 I think that is how it works. So the northern regions could have a much lower spawn rate than the Adriatic and a few other places.
    they will still become huge because there´s nobady to kill them and pirate ships depend on lawless seabordering regions so as the mediterranean becomes embroilled in wars on conquest the northern regions will keep pumping out fleets from the northern russian and gotland regions

maybe with the recruiment pool this might be modable by removing those regions hability to recruit navy´s but still

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Let's have the Ardiaioi faction instead! ^^
    About eleutheroi pirates, we'll have to see how EBII performs, recruitment pools and such might change a lot the situation...
    Random spawn will always be random spawn, that's the game engine, can tweak its rate, but when and where never I'm afraid...

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    No you can't, it is a map wide value.

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    maybe with the recruiment pool this might be modable by removing those regions hability to recruit navy´s but still
    I'm pretty sure we can't do that either.
    Last edited by bobbin; 07-22-2011 at 11:56.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Reason there are swarms of pirates in the northern seas is due to random pirate generation, and also the AI tends to move its things somewhat predictably undesirable- They could put large groups of Pirates in the mediterranean, but they have a limited ability to stop them from wandering out towards the Atlantic Ocean.

wouldn't the solution IMHO then, be to simply have multiple pirate "subfactions"?

looking at the descr_rebel thingy, I don't typically see more than one pirate entry. if you can have the pirates divided into 3-5 different types, with 1 in the north sea having limited spawning, perhaps that would take care of it?

EDIT: never mind: there's only one sea "province" in EB, so they'd just spawn all over the place
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

I think you can do shallow or deep sea... though usually mods do only 1 type so there are 199 regions not 198. Not that I am sure how that would help spawning pirates or not though.

Just have very low rates of spawn in the north with perhaps not every single area have much more than the lowest possible chance.