Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Historically Accurate Films/Documentaries/Video

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Most Historically Accurate Films/Documentaries/Video

Since all the old X is historically inaccurate topics where X is some movie/tv series are popping up again. Why not have a list of alternatives?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Default Re: Most Historically Accurate Films/Documentaries/Video

Inaccurate (and I don't necessarily mean this as a bad thing):
    Ben Hur
    Troy
    Clash of the Titans (both of them)
    Spartacus: Blood and Sand (or at least, so I've heard - haven't watched it)
    Any of Shakespeare's three Roman plays

Accurate (or at least, as accurate as a movie is likely to get):
    Rome (HBO)
    Passion of the Christ (I haven't seen it, and don't want to, but from what I've heard, it's portrayal of those days is pretty accurate, even down to the torture)
    King Arthur (the one from the early 2000's that flopped - it's based on a lot of research about Roman Britain. Granted, it does get some dates wrong)
    I, Claudius (some bad costumes, but on the whole a rather accurate portrait of the Julio-Claudian dynasty)

Those are all that come to mind at the moment.
    Last edited by Mulceber; 04-08-2010 at 03:38.
    My Balloons:

(...)at least, as accurate as a movie is likely to get
    - that's exactly the issue. Hollywood simply isn't likely to endorse historical accuracy and a realistic portrayal of ancient history - neither today nor in the near future. Why hire qualified advisors, spend years researching details and risk an embarrassing box office failure, when you can churn out lucrative run-of-the-mill sword-and-sandal movies, nicely garnished with blood and guts?

True - there were/are notably exceptions - 'I, Claudius' and HBO's 'Rome' - who at least tried to fullfill higher standards, but on the whole...
    Last edited by Lvcretivs; 04-08-2010 at 04:33.

'...usque adeo res humanas vis abdita quaedam:opterit et pulchros fascis saevasque secures:proculcare ac ludibrio sibi habere videtur.' De rerum natura V, 1233ff.

What about Stanley Kubrick's Spartacus? Whilst I don't know nearly enough about that era to make an informed judgment on the movie's accuracy, it certainly seemed convincingly realistic to me.

Also, a question/point: Mulceber includes Troy and Clash of the Titans in one of his lists. If we're going to consider movies based on myth and/or legend, are we primarily concerned with their adherence to the source material or with their realism? I mean, the term "historical accuracy" doesn't even seem applicable to movies/shows based upon documents which are widely considered to be products of imagination more than than fact. Perhaps Mulceber simply meant that anything based upon the myth of Perseus or of the Trojan War are going to be historically inaccurate. But I thought I would ask just for clarification.

Sang Hulu Jurit Balamati Member plutoboyz's Avatar
    Near a dammed warlike tribe called "Indonesian"

don't expect Hollywood to make accurate movie. they just making profit, not historically accurate

@ B_Ray - When I talked about Clash of the Titans and Troy, I meant accurate to the source material, and also accurate to Olympian Theology and Mythology. Sorry about the lack of clarity.

@ Lucretius - I totally agree - that's why I, broadly speaking, avoid watching these movies as history (although I'll admit that I, Claudius formed a good basis for my knowledge of the Julio-Claudian dynasty). To me, they're mainly just drama and entertainment couched in an era I love.
    Last edited by Mulceber; 04-08-2010 at 04:53.
    My Balloons:

Probably you also meant an 'true to the spirit' approach combining 'historical realism' (eg. accurate Anatolian/Mycenaean Bronze Age equipment for Homers' heroes) and adherence to the 'source material'. But while (at least possibly) applicable to the Trojan War, this is bound to provoke endless controversies when more 'mythical' subjects are touched (Perseus, Titanomachy,...)

@Mulceber: You are perfectly right - but think of millions of people whose only contact whatsoever with classical history was watching 300...
    Last edited by Lvcretivs; 04-08-2010 at 05:03.

'...usque adeo res humanas vis abdita quaedam:opterit et pulchros fascis saevasque secures:proculcare ac ludibrio sibi habere videtur.' De rerum natura V, 1233ff.

agreed. It's a very difficult subject to broach, since if we wanted to be strict about it we would just have to throw all these shows out as inaccurate. But then, that wouldn't allow us to consider portrayals of ancient society in film on any deep level. -M
    My Balloons:

Sang Hulu Jurit Balamati Member plutoboyz's Avatar
    Near a dammed warlike tribe called "Indonesian"

Quote Originally Posted by Mulceber View Post
    you must put this on top of your list. my eyes bleed when watch this. really opposite.

Most accurate

I Claudius
    HBO Rome

Those really are the great ones, HBO Rome not only towers over things in historical accuracy, it does it in quality to. The characters are genuine, you feel what they feel and you learn about them and get to like them as the series goes on.

Less accurate but still good, and still a must see
    Gladiator (Ironically Cassius Dio agreed that Commodus killed his father because he was getting disinherited)
    Kirk Douglass Spartacus (has some anachronisms, but still presents a believable and realistic plot, and who cares that the real Spartacus wasn't an abolitionist and was born free?)

Innacurate trash, ahistorical, below low quality
    Spartacus Blood and Sand

Virtually ahistorical, do not see
    Slight imrpovement at least when compared to Blood and Sand.

Edit- I apologize for the very poor grammer and pathetic spelling in this post, I am unfortunately in a rush.
    Last edited by TancredTheNorman; 04-08-2010 at 05:28.

Also, I'd like to add the History Channel to the "inaccurate" list. -M
    My Balloons:

How about "The Divine Weapon", which is a movie about the Korean hwacha. I don't know that much about Korean history, so I can't say anything about its historical accuracy, but how can you not admire this:

This space intentionally left blank.

I can come up with no new adds for the period, but for others, films and TV-shows to see are

Band of Brothers (HBO again)
    Stalingrad, German, 1993
    Das Boot, German ??
    The Iron Cross, American or British, so-so in accuracy but the first film to not merely portray Germans as total villains but see things from their PoV and OK portrayal of life at the front
    The Duellists, 1997, Ridley Scott's first film (you have to search the cover to find his name). Napoleonic Era.
    All Kurosawa's films are good, whether or not they are accurate on all points they are in spirit.
    Battle for Algiers, propagandistic but in some ways pretty faithful in its portrayal of at least Les Paras.

1612 is best avoided by historically interested, except for the total badass mercenary Spaniard Alvar. My friend Jan writes a summary here if you scroll down a bit.

Avoid
    Ran (Korean)
    Mongol (Mongolian or Russian)
    Last edited by Macilrille; 04-08-2010 at 08:10.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Vercingétorix: La légende du druide roi (2001) has legionaries wearing LS, tut tut.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

@Macrille: 'Ran' is actually Kurosawa's last epic jidai-geki - certainly you must have confused it with one of these Korean 'historical romances'

Saving Private Ryan - is quite accurate, but I was laughing at the Mustang "bombers" at the end of the movie.
    The Pacific - is said to be good too, though I've not seen it yet, just read the critics about it.
    Enemy at the gates - seemed ok too for me, anyone?
    Alexander - isnt really accurate as they mix the battles and leave a lot of important events out of the movie.
    All Quiet on the Western Front - I like this movie, but I don't really know if it is accurate or not, I don't really like to study the WWs, someone?
    Last edited by Apázlinemjó; 04-08-2010 at 09:23.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apázlinemjó View Post
    Saving Private Ryan - is quite accurate, but I was laughing at the Mustang "bombers" at the end of the movie
    That is true, it can't be that difficult to find airworthy P-47s. My main objection to Saving Private Ryan is the fact it makes no mention of the contribution by British Commonwealth, Canadian or Polish forces, even the landing craft drivers (who were actually British) are replaced by Americans.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

SPR is in fact very inaccurate.
    Lvcretivs that is true. Damn... there was one really- really bad Korean spin-off of the Chinese "historical" fighting films (which are bad enough in itself, edit THEMselves).

Nothing new... is both quite accurate and, AFAICR, faithful to the book by and large. I forgot that :-( Baaaad Palle.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

From all movies about antiquity I like "Alexander" the most. It is not accurate, but it has at least some accuracy in it.

May I ask a question about "King Arthur"? Is it the movie about the Sarmatian riders who formed the Roman cavalry? If then I would like to know what was accurate and well searched in this movie? I watched it with less than possible interest after I get told that the Romans were still in Britain in the middle of the 5th c. AD and that the pope was the leader of the Roman empire...

"All Quiet on the Western Front" is fictitious but is quite accurate about the Trench War experience of individuals. The book after the movie is made ("Im Westen nichts Neues" by E.M. Remarque, 1928/29) is one of several well made novels about WWI. Because it was not so much patriotic it was forbidden and burned by the Nazis after 1933. Remarque had joined the war only for a short time, but he took much information from the reports of other soldiers.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

May I ask a question about "King Arthur"? Is it the movie about the Sarmatian riders who formed the Roman cavalry? If then I would like to know what was accurate and well searched in this movie? I watched it with less than possible interest after I get told that the Romans were still in Britain in the middle of the 5th c. AD and that the pope was the leader of the Roman empire
    I also was distinctly turned off from the film when it mentioned the dates at the beginning. But apart from that, the fact that there were sarmatians serving in the Roman army, the fact that they worked in Bishop Pelagius, who in fact did get excommunicated for his beliefs about free will. Looking back, I suppose you're right that it should be moved to the inaccurate column, as most of the weaponry and armor is inaccurate to the peoples/time period, but I give KA props for making use of the Sarmatian connection and some of the historical events that really were occurring in late antiquity, especially since so few movies are produced about this era. -M
    Last edited by Mulceber; 04-08-2010 at 13:26.
    My Balloons:

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mulceber View Post
    I also was distinctly turned off from the film when it mentioned the dates at the beginning. But apart from that, the fact that there were sarmatians serving in the Roman army, the fact that they worked in Bishop Pelagius, who in fact did get excommunicated for his beliefs about free will. Looking back, I suppose you're right that it should be moved to the inaccurate column, as most of the weaponry and armor is inaccurate to the peoples/time period, but I give KA props for making use of the Sarmatian connection and some of the historical events that really were occurring in late antiquity, especially since so few movies are produced about this era.
    I give them props for introducing the theory that the myth of Arthur and his knights has its basis in the Sarmatian auxiliaries, but my impression is that they were muddled about everything else. Lucius Artorius Castus fought off a Pictish rather than Germanic invasion: I can only assume that they made the Germans the enemy because that is what the public expects. That is presumably also the reason for placing the story a century or two after Castus lived, making him a Christian, giving him modern opinions on religion and society, etc. This wouldn't have bothered me very much if it was a typical Hollywood film, but they explicitly claimed to have found the historical Arthur. Especially since the story of Castus is, at best, only one element of the Arthur myth as we known it, and there's several lines of evidence that contradict Artorius playing a significant role in the historical events.

Edit:
    As for accurate/inaccurate films: how accurate is "Tora! Tora! Tora!" ? When I first watched it, I thought it was one of those role-played documentaries, but apparently it's a real film.

"The Last Samurai" is definitely inaccurate. Although the imagery of medieval samurai making a last death-or-glory charge against modernity (musket-armed line infantry) is very powerful, the reality was that both sides in the Satsuma Rebellion used muskets.
    Last edited by Ludens; 04-09-2010 at 09:48. Reason: response to trolling post removed
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Hush you, BAD LUDENS katanas can block bullets!

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Sovereign of all England! Member Donkey Kong Champion Arthur, king of the Britons's Avatar

Ah how nice of you all to talk about me while I'm gone.

King Arthur's Court at Camelot

Marble bust of Arthouros the Divider, first man to pass a Koinon Law since the foundation of the Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post

Edit:
    As for accurate/inaccurate films: how accurate is "Tora! Tora! Tora!" ? When I first watched it, I thought it was one of those role-played documentaries, but apparently it's a real film.

"The Last Samurai" is definitely inaccurate. Although the imagery of medieval samurai making a last death-or-glory charge against modernity (musket-armed line infantry) is very powerful, the reality was that both sides in the Satsuma Rebellion used muskets.
    I do not know about Tora x 3 as it is one of those I have not seen. However, the fighting in The Last Samurai is actually quite well done in contrast to most Hollywood movies. The various Achilleus Duels in Troy as well, the one with Hector is brilliant IMO.

I remember that Tora Tora Tora used real planes & ships, but so long since I watched the movie now.

HBO Rome. You can say it depicts ancient Rome very accurately, but Ptolemaic Egypt? Its been given the CA treatment there too. Cleopatra's bodyguards were Galatians for one. Second the court would have had a more Hellenistic look too. Plus Bithynia is depicted as Arabic, when at this time was Hellenized.

Alexander by Oliver Stone. Persians looking like and speaking Arab...Roxanne was also caucasian. At least Macedonian army seemed accurate enough.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

I still can't get it out of my head, the phalangitai and their drills.....the gayness is bad, but I liked the battles with the phalanx...

ALL HAIL MAKEDONIA!!!

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    May I ask a question about "King Arthur"? Is it the movie about the Sarmatian riders who formed the Roman cavalry? If then I would like to know what was accurate and well searched in this movie? I watched it with less than possible interest after I get told that the Romans were still in Britain in the middle of the 5th c. AD and that the pope was the leader of the Roman empire...
    Yes, and it got some scathing reviews, I hear. Probably because they confused the Saxons with the Chinese and had some "Warrior Chick" (Keira Knightley with a bow. Yeah right. I wonder how she managed to draw the thing) thrown in for fanservice.

"All Quiet on the Western Front" is fictitious but is quite accurate about the Trench War experience of individuals. The book after the movie is made ("Im Westen nichts Neues" by E.M. Remarque, 1928/29) is one of several well made novels about WWI. Because it was not so much patriotic it was forbidden and burned by the Nazis after 1933. Remarque had joined the war only for a short time, but he took much information from the reports of other soldiers.
    I remember reading that one as a kid. The novel is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusader View Post
    HBO Rome. You can say it depicts ancient Rome very accurately, but Ptolemaic Egypt? Its been given the CA treatment there too. Cleopatra's bodyguards were Galatians for one. Second the court would have had a more Hellenistic look too. Plus Bithynia is depicted as Arabic, when at this time was Hellenized.
    Yeah something of a wasted chance with those Ptolemaioi. Though some audiences (read: executives) probably never heard about Galatians or even Diadochs, so they would have claimed it "unhistorical" if the show had actually shown it the way it was.

Roxanne was also caucasian.
    By which you mean: was also Caucasian in Real Life? Because in the film, Rosario Dawson looked vaguely African (due to her mixed white/black ancestry). Well, at least she was pretty - and not as starved as most other Hollywood chicks.
    Last edited by athanaric; 04-08-2010 at 18:28.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

I wouldn't call The Passion of the Christ very historical. While it's true that the characters speak Latin and Aramaic (which is damned awesome), they speak Church Latin. Greek would have been more fitting anyway. And the legionaries all wear LS.
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadwalader View Post
    I wouldn't call The Passion of the Christ very historical. While it's true that the characters speak Latin and Aramaic (which is damned awesome), they speak Church Latin. Greek would have been more fitting anyway. And the legionaries all wear LS.
    Good point about the church latin, although that basically just means that their pronunciation was inaccurate. As for the LS, not sure how accurate or inaccurate that would be for the period: LS was at its height by the Flavian dynasty, but it's possible that it was already rather common by ~30 AD. Not saying it's right to have ALL the legionaries wearing it, but if those are the only problems with the Passion, it stands pretty well, historically speaking. Even shows like Rome had similar problems - the little Latin that is spoken in Rome is pronounced like Italian, and there's LS in season 2.
    Last edited by Ludens; 04-09-2010 at 09:48. Reason: response to trolling post removed
    My Balloons:

Kingdom of Heaven is actually quite accurate. The character Balien actually did exist, but was born in Holy Land, but this is likely due to Ridley Scott making a character so sympathetic, he wouldn't get in trouble for a "pro-crusader" movie, which is kind of a touchy subject these days. For the most part, the directors cut it otherwise pretty close to what happened, minus all the Muslim/Christians getting along thing. Reynald of Chatillion was very well portrayed and
    His death is generally excepted to have happened exactly like that, due to the Muslim tradition that you cannot kill a captive you have offered hospitality

The only other glaring flaw is King Guy was more of a bumbling goof who wanted everyone to like him, then a villainous jerk. Also
    Saladin didn't just let the people of Jerusalem leave.

Oh and
    Although perhaps the cheesiest part of the film, the real Balien really did knight about 50 men at arms during the siege of Jerusalem, although I'm sure in a slightly less dramatic fashion, although likely for the same reasons

Ridley Scott seems to at least due his research, and I prefer a researched film maker making my movies to a scholar making movies, which would end up being 7 hours long getting in every little thing that happened, and go way over budget making everything perfectly authentic.

Did no one else find Gladiator accurate, minus the actual storyline? I mean Commedus really was nuts, and did fight in the arena. Once again you can pick apart things, but for the most part he seems to have done a decent job representing Rome at the time.
    Last edited by Tenebrous; 04-08-2010 at 23:57. Reason: added last paragraph

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast