Thread: Unit Sizes

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Default Unit Sizes

I prefer to play with the unit sizes at maximum, but I don't like that it takes two turns to produce them. Is there any way to change the production time from two turns to one?
    Silence is beautiful

Default Re: Unit Sizes

Not that i know of Nerd. To be honest with you - for me the two turns training time is part of the attraction, but i understand that it may not be to everyone's taste.

The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Yay, gollum I've been waiting for your answer! Kind of a dissapointing one though. Two turns is a pain when you're in a rush to defend or mobilize an army for invasion, in my opinion. I like to have alot of soldiers on the field, especially those 2D samurai! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to play on normal unit sizes. Is this a hard-coding issue? STW is SO hard-coded as far as I know!
    Silence is beautiful

In STW there is no way to mod this. The two season training time adds to the depth of the game, like gollum says. Give it a go and see if you can get into it? Otherwise I'm afraid the only solution is to scale down to "large" units.

Last edited by caravel; 04-26-2010 at 20:31.

I'll give it a try. :( Also, how does STW run in Windows 7? I'm going to upgrade from XP (currently plays STW fine) and was wondering if playing is still possible.
    Silence is beautiful

generally try to play the diff. level that gives a reasonable challenge to your current skill. Once you feel you're too good for it, level up. The 120 men unit gives a tougher challenge, requires more purposeful play and planning. Little by little you'll get there. Blitzing is an art that is mastered little by little.

The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Personally I've always played the 120 man units from day one - so I've probably become accustomed to them. Admittedly I'm one of those people that fires a game up for the first time and goes straight to the options/settings.

Windows 7 may bring new problems and may not. There have been issues with the resolution being locked at 800*600 for some people, though I think that's only been reported in MTW so far.

I don't think I'll get into another campaing until I upgrade my OS, but when I do I will try out the larger unit sizes. On other TWs I always use huge unit sizes. I try the difficulty low to get a feel for it and up it from there. I always play XP on 800*600 and it looks just fine (I think that was the resolution I used when STW was new). It seems to help that flicker problem the game encounters on newer OSs at higher resolutions as well.
    Silence is beautiful