Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: EBNOM official discussion thread

Default Re: EB late campaign mod

Well, it is important to understand that the Suebi and the Suebi are not the same thing ;-)

As far as I can ascertain.

The Suebi was a Germanic tribe with subtribes.
    The Suebi at large was a tribal alliance/confederation... whatever, of many tribes listed as Suebi by ancient authors and many of them with common material culture. Both the marcommani, Goths and Cimbrii were listed as Suebi tribes.

I cannot say whether I will be able to help with the mod if one ever comes to be actually made, will PM you.

But yes, the situation in Germania was very interesting (and volatile) another idea could be to make a Germania TW mod dealing with that- barbarorum to the limit ;-)
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

I've taken the liberty to make a team sig.

It's just a test, I can always make the background look much better!

So what is the first thing to improve.

Well it is quite long..

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 04-11-2010 at 18:36.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    Well, it is important to understand that the Suebi and the Suebi are not the same thing ;-)

As far as I can ascertain.

The Suebi was a Germanic tribe with subtribes.
    The Suebi at large was a tribal alliance/confederation... whatever, of many tribes listed as Suebi by ancient authors and many of them with common material culture. Both the marcommani, Goths and Cimbrii were listed as Suebi tribes.

I cannot say whether I will be able to help with the mod if one ever comes to be actually made, will PM you.

But yes, the situation in Germania was very interesting (and volatile) another idea could be to make a Germania TW mod dealing with that- barbarorum to the limit ;-)
    I hope you will find it interesting to join in the mod if one starts, i think your knowledge could be indispensible.

P.S- could anyone give me a suggestion how to make a spoiler of the picture of my map? It's too large for a non - spoilered picture, so i have to have a link, but it's probably not as flashy
    Last edited by anubis88; 04-11-2010 at 18:49.
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

I suggest these:

Winter 218 BC

Banally, the dawn of the Second Punic War, the factions would be the same except for the Epeirotes... maybe Pergamon insted of the teal kingdom?

at around 190 BC

The struggle between Rome and the Seleucid empire for Greece, I'd really like to change history and conquer the Mediterranean basin with the grey death after Magnesia.
    Macedon is a nut between the hammer and the anvil, unless a skillful player should take advantage of the clash of these two super-powers.
    A long time ago defeated Carthage might take the opportunity to claim revenge for the Second Punic War, or try to survive the expansion of Rome.
    The Parthians should follow their historical path or even push their limits beyond the Euphrates.

Somewhere from 70 a.C. to 50 BC

This campaign should give to the player the possibility to replay the wars of Caesar in Gaul and Pompeius in the East, or try to change history with their rivals, maybe an outstanding Gaul that conquers central Europe or a victorious Pontus that unifies the Anatolian peninsula.
    We could even choose to create two allied roman factions and script the break of the civil war (well, you might think that it would be too Romano-centric... but in this period Rome is overwhelming the Mediterranean basin, so it is still the principal and most important power of those years).
    Qart'hadast, Lusotannan, Makedonia, Epeiros and Baktria might be replaced by the Belgae, the Kingdom of Judea, the Yuezhi and the suggested second Roman faction.
    Last edited by Connacht; 04-11-2010 at 19:51.
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

I've created a WIP map of 171 BC. It includes these factions

BARBARIAN
    1) Sweboz
    2) Arverni
    3) Aedui
    4) Cantabri
    5) Getai

ROMAN
    6) Senatus populusque Romanus

WESTERN_GREEK
    7) Makedonia
    8) Koinon tes Achaion (Achaean League of Thermon, Korinthos and Krete)
    9) Pergamon

EASTERN_GREEK
    10) Arche Seleukeia
    11) Ptolemaioi
    12) Baktria

EASTERN
    13) Pahlava
    14) Pontos
    15) Hayastan

NOMAD
    16) Yuezhi
    17) Sauromatae

SEMITIC
    18) Nabataea
    19) Kart-Hadast
    20) Massylia (Numidia)

21) Rebels

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    EDIT: Wrong map again?

Things I don't like:

- No Saba
    - No Boii
    - No (Indo-)Sakae

I think not having the Saba really isn't a problem. The only faction that would get there is Nabataea. We can set them as their faction creator. I would really love to see the Boii, perhaps we can switch the Getai for the Boii? And the lack of the Sakae really really bugs me. I had the Bosporan Kingdom in there as well, but I gave their provinces to Pontos, because of their continuous alliance. Tell me what you think.
    Last edited by Hax; 04-11-2010 at 21:55. Reason: Large pic, spoiler.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Get rid of the Koinon, as Spartans is no more!!! Made the Indo Saka available

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Check the map, Chen-man. Sparta is not a part of the Achaian league, Thermon, Korinthos and Kydonia are.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Klibanophoros Ton Rhomaioktono Member Duguntz's Avatar

and late in the game the Koinon Thrakon should appear, as it was historically, around the first century AD
    Opinions are like bacteries : we all have, but it's better to keep them for ourself... (By me!)

generously given by Nachtmeister
    generously given by Macilrille for Sweboz combat tactics
    Generously given by Brennus

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    I've created a WIP map of 171 BC. It includes these factions

BARBARIAN
    1) Sweboz
    2) Arverni
    3) Aedui
    4) Cantabri
    5) Getai

ROMAN
    6) Senatus populusque Romanus

WESTERN_GREEK
    7) Makedonia
    8) Koinon tes Achaion (Achaean League of Thermon, Korinthos and Krete)
    9) Pergamon

EASTERN_GREEK
    10) Arche Seleukeia
    11) Ptolemaioi
    12) Baktria

EASTERN
    13) Pahlava
    14) Pontos
    15) Hayastan

NOMAD
    16) Yuezhi
    17) Sauromatae

SEMITIC
    18) Nabataea
    19) Kart-Hadast
    20) Massylia (Numidia)

21) Rebels

EDIT: Wrong map again?

Things I don't like:

- No Saba
    - No Boii
    - No (Indo-)Sakae

I think not having the Saba really isn't a problem. The only faction that would get there is Nabataea. We can set them as their faction creator. I would really love to see the Boii, perhaps we can switch the Getai for the Boii? And the lack of the Sakae really really bugs me. I had the Bosporan Kingdom in there as well, but I gave their provinces to Pontos, because of their continuous alliance. Tell me what you think.
    Ok thanks for helping I however have some points:

Rome at this time does not rule the majority of Iberia. And from 154 to 133BC, the romans face the Lusitanian Viriathus, a cunning enemy of the Romans. This is exactly the time that EB's Lusotanian faction came into the spotlight of history. Lusotanians or Lusotanian confederacy would be a good factions here (the Lusitanians in this war were allied with the Celtiberians), So they should be used instead of the Cantabri.

I was busy with painting a map but I can only find maps of 200BC and 150 BC, in these years much changes, for examples in the easter part of the Seleukid empire.

I tried to continue my WIP map, but for some reason, which really makes me angry, paint suddenly won't use the paint bucket. It worked at first, a handy way to color the provinces, but now when I click to color a province, nothing happens. Edit: Something happened with the pixels, the paint bucket only colours per pixel instead of per area now, weird.

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 04-11-2010 at 22:46.
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    Ok thanks for helping I however have some points:

Rome at this time does not rule the majority of Iberia. And from 154 to 133BC, the romans face the Lusitanian Viriathus, a cunning enemy of the Romans. This is exactly the time that EB's Lusotanian faction came into the spotlight of history. Lusotanians or Lusotanian confederacy would be a good factions here (the Lusitanians in this war were allied with the Celtiberians), So they should be used instead of the Cantabri.

I was busy with painting a map but I can only find maps of 200BC and 150 BC, in these years much changes, for examples in the easter part of the Seleukid empire.

I tried to continue my WIP map, but for some reason, which really makes me angry, paint suddenly won't use the paint bucket. It worked at first, a handy way to color the provinces, but now when I click to color a province, nothing happens. Edit: Something happened with the pixels, the paint bucket only colours per pixel instead of per area now, weird.

~Fluvius
    I had the same problem with my map, once the map was at full size it "bucketed" nicely, but when i gave the size to a half, it gave me only a few pixels... still managed to do it.

Also for the map of Hax, i think Pergamon has too much teriotory... I think they never got pas the Taurus Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    I had the same problem with my map, once the map was at full size it "bucketed" nicely, but when i gave the size to a half, it gave me only a few pixels... still managed to do it.

Also for the map of Hax, i think Pergamon has too much teriotory... I think they never got pas the Taurus Mountains
    After Antiochos III Megas lost Magnesia, he was forced to leave all territory in Asia Minor past the Tauros. That means he may keep Kilikia, but the others were lost mainly to Pergamon.

EDIT: WIP MAP

Note that I have not yet included Casse, as they can be replaced by a faction who plays a more important role at the time (IMHO).

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 04-12-2010 at 10:55.

1x From Mulceber!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post

~Fluvius
    did you ude photoshop or gimp? if the former is the cause, it was because you set the anti alias on, and contingous area flling off.

Well he said he was using Paint, not Gimp or Photoshop :)

Anyways, i'm uploading the first 2 posts as we speak; trying to make an intro or something :D
    once Fluvius adds a map, i will put it in his suggestion as well

Well he said he was using Paint, not Gimp or Photoshop :)

Anyways, i'm uploading the first 2 posts as we speak; trying to make an intro or something :D
    once Fluvius adds a map, i will put it in his suggestion as well
    Open up your eyes, I edited it my previous post.

And yes I was using paint, I found no need to use the better image editors. I dont think there are any options in paint to turn such things on/off. Thanks anyway.

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

I have a few things to say, since we would still be bound to do a Historically accurate campaing in EB's spirit;)
    - I don't think the Romans conquered Ambrakia till much later on IIRC.
    - You've shown the Iberian tribes as a single power? That doens't look right...
    - Shouldn't Hecatompylos be under Parthian control by this time?
    - The Baleares fell to the Romans 50 years from this date

I'm sorry if it's complainign, but i believe we would want a clear picture of what was going on

I have a few things to say, since we would still be bound to do a Historically accurate campaing in EB's spirit;)

I'm sorry if it's complainign, but i believe we would want a clear picture of what was going on
    It's Work in Progress, but I'll answer your questions:

It was sacked according to my sources. I grabbed a few easy acces for you:

Macilrille's Roman time line
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...light=timeline

Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrakia

According to Wiki it should be a type IV or a rebel (with Roman allied status, like KH allied with Sinope). Open to discuss.

I need more sources of Iberia (just like the EB team). But my own work and this wiki talks of a Lusotannan and Celtiberian confederacy, it would make no sense presenting them as rebels, maybe a type IV.

IIRC the Gaelicians fougth at the Lusitanian side and Romans campaigned there after Viriathus was defeated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viriathus

You got me there, I was not sure exactly, since Mithridates I did not start his mass conquest of Eastern Seleucid territory yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithridates_I_of_Parthia
    Herat can be counted as the region of Aria (Alexandreia Ariana) and went together with Margiane (another mistake) in 167BC, four years after the start.

This one proves your right:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hekatompylos

I think you are right again!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...light=timeline

This map made me believe otherwise and thus, loses some crediblity:
    http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/ima...-Hem_200bc.jpg

Constructive criticism always welcome. And everything is better than no comments on the research.

Problems I face:
    I don't have any book on Seleukids, I don't know if anyone posesses From Samarkhand to Sardis but that would be a great help in mapping that part of the world.
    Ptolemy VI Philometor is only 15 years old, RTW engine wise, he cant be the Basileus and Epphanes is already dead.
    Also it will be VERY hard to make the civil wars look good:
    - Ptolemy VI Philemetor vs. Phtolemy VIII Euergetes II
    - The Seleukids after Demetrius I Soter.
    - Romani, slaves and Social.
    - Baktria

Suggestion B
    I am also considering to change my (still has to made) suggestion B to 146ish. That would be before the Jugurthine war and at the reign of Antiochos VII Sidetes. Or what about a Teutonic/CImbri faction, who leads a giant invasion and the rise of Marius.

- No more Makedonia, Qarthadast, which means 2 new faction slots and maybe even a new culture slot (changing Western Greek, Eastern Greek could be Asiatic Greek then, Ptolemaioi, Seleukid, Pergamene).

However this would also bring its own problems, Ptolemy VI Philometor vs. Euergetes II may take a rebel faction and Pergamon is near its end. Also in southern Hellas, some Western Greeks still exist, although they fullfill a minor role.

Far more, but I'll put that in when I have a more concrete idea of my suggestion B.

Feel free to comment!

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

Well, it seems we were moved... :D.. No matter;

I appreciate you like constructive critisim; it's definetly the way to go.

I thought about a late republican mod myself, but when i started thinkin about all the civil strife that was happening at the time :S... Jeez, it made me change my mind... But, putting aside the civil wars... a good date to start would be at the start of the Jugurthine war; in 113 BC, perhaps having the battle of Noreia as the first battle a player has to fight once he starts the campaign... But that would take someone who knows how to deal with this things.

Also i will add a new faction on my suggestion, actually 2 of which i've totaly forgoten about :)
    Last edited by anubis88; 04-12-2010 at 21:16.

Okay, i must bump this thread, just to have a response...

I will start helping with similar goals, so my work could actually be used by both, prehaps the 2 could merge or whatever... Will se how it goes...

I just want to know, if there's anyone willing to help me on the project of the game starting in 27/25 BC.
    I've already started with my historical research, so i just want to see if there is someone actually interested to help me

thanks

Blog Entries

well, maybe we can made some removal with Romaioi Camillan units, and replace them with more units for another faction

And not forget changing the reform condition in the script...

The romans would loose all of their Marian, Polybian and Cammilian units, that would indeed make a lot of space. My thought was to have the romans having their 28 starting legions, something like RS is doing instead of having the Romans all the reforms. The campaign would be basicaly sript free, at least at first.

I dare not to ask... Would you, actually could you help with the mod? I bet though that you must have your hands full with NTW :S

Blog Entries

The romans would loose all of their Marian, Polybian and Cammilian units, that would indeed make a lot of space. My thought was to have the romans having their 28 starting legions, something like RS is doing instead of having the Romans all the reforms. The campaign would be basicaly sript free, at least at first.

I dare not to ask... Would you, actually could you help with the mod? I bet though that you must have your hands full with NTW :S
    wait, so basically we started in imperial age??? hoo.... maybe we must indeed doing research on some new units then...
    if that was some map or script modification, I'm sure I'll help... as long it was only a little thing (not makin relocation and renaming half of the regions involved)

PS: and I greatly dislike RS Idea of getting such ridiculous ammount of identical units with identical stats and identical equipments that can't retrained in another regions because they are limited to some area or such, maybe we'll better use imperial cohort unchanged, as EB is making a new history, and not reenacting it with utmost care (maybe we can use "legion_name" instead of separate units)

Oh yeah, and about my hand.... if it was just minor correction in script and mapping, it will be ok... but you can't expect me to revise entire map area, or move copious ammount of map (such as adding china to our map )
    Last edited by Cute Wolf; 04-27-2010 at 16:41.

Yeah, it would require a few new units, however many factions could remain the same, or with some minor alterations:
    The Iceni,
    The Sarmatians
    The Indo-Scythians
    Parthia
    the Dacians
    The Cantabrians
    the Romans (adding more units of course)
    Saba
    Bosphorus (could have a lot of AOR from EB, + new ones...)
    Armenia
    Cappadocia (or commagane?) could use a lot of AOR units as well, since the area is full of them...

Also, the most important units of many of this factions already exist in EB....

It would be indeed great of you could help with the map a bit... Not by doing anything spectacular, perhaps just by renaiming a few cities...

for example, the cities that are now Roman would need a roman name - Carthago, Utica, Saguntum, Carthago nova etc...
    I think the map is as perfect as it can be even for such a mod...

If you could change the name of a few cities, it would be of really great help to me...

Also, if you would have time to do some reserch perhaps, would be great...
    As i see it, this modification would be that great.... for the firs release, perhaps we wouldn't use all the factions, just the old ones + a few new germanic tribes... and walla, a completly new game-play experience...

i'm hoping i would get help from some of you, but i'm really gonna do my best to get such a mod of the ground, even if i had to do it myself... Once i have a team, the fun may begin :)
    Last edited by anubis88; 04-27-2010 at 17:13.

Blog Entries

no, i can't be expected to do the research, as in the research field, I allready got a lot of headache in stitching the line of (mostly finished) nusantara TW research, and I know research is actually the most difficult things in a modding project, after modelling...

But if you present what should I rename, and what should I do with the map and script, that would be ok...

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    no, i can't be expected to do the research, as in the research field, I allready got a lot of headache in stitching the line of (mostly finished) nusantara TW research, and I know research is actually the most difficult things in a modding project, after modelling...

But if you present what should I rename, and what should I do with the map and script, that would be ok...
    Thanks, that would be of great help... Once i get a team, i will tell which settlements need to be renamed... That's practically everything i would need atm...

so, thanks again :)...

Any other help from you guys? :D

Thanks, that would be of great help... Once i get a team, i will tell which settlements need to be renamed... That's practically everything i would need atm...

so, thanks again :)...

Any other help from you guys? :D
    I would like to help, it would make sense if we only did one of the presented choices though... So shouldn't we decide what to pick, or work alongside each other. I have to disappoint you on my time, as I can be quite busy. I indeed have a lot of EB Bibliography books and my school is near a history library with even more info. Apart from research and basic modding things (editing some text files, changing colours, writing descriptions), I can barely do anything...

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 04-27-2010 at 20:29.

1x From Mulceber!

Hey Fluvius... Don't think i forgot about you... The thing is, that i'm 100% for the Principate mod. It's really a very interesting area for the mod to start, and finaly no CIVIL WARS, which is why i like it so much... If i did a mod like in 171 BC, and without civil wars, it would loose all the fun for myself, although i believe not all people are history fanatics like me, so this doesn't bother them as much...

If you would decide to assist in a Principate mod, i would be honored of your help, if however people would decide on a 171 mod, my assistance would be dubius. Not becouse i wouldn't want to, just because i wouldn't be motivated enough to do thorough reserch...

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

I'd be very interested to help out with this project.

Start Date: 80 BCE

-Post-Marian: Simplifies things for the Roman players
    -Gaius Marius has just recently died
    -Pompeii has just celebrated a triumph - he is an FM
    -Caesar is a young FM, just recently come to power
    -Social War has ended
    -Second Mithradatic War has just ended
    -Gallic Conquest has not yet happened
    -Mithradates is alive and well
    -Indo-Saka are just getting started
    -Seleucids are almost dead

--- Factions ---

Senatus Populusque Romanus (obviously)
    Boii
    Aedui
    Arverni
    Getai
    Suebi
    Lugiones
    Ptolemaioi
    Hasmoneans
    Nabatu
    Indo-Greeks
    Indo-Saka
    Pontus
    Hayasdan
    Parthia
    Sauromatae
    Yuezhi
    Himyarites
    Axum
    Meroe
    Eleutheroi
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Hey Gamegeek2, nice to hear from a EB team member...

I must admit i have lost a bit my all-out Principate wishes, and would love to help with a republican mod. 80 BC seems good, but it would be nice if we could find ways to script the Civil-wars that followed in Rome. Basically after the third Mithridatic war, Rome was the Alpha and the Omega, and there was nothing anyone could do... I just fear Rome would be to overpowered if there wasn't a Roman rebel faction:)...

Have you any idea what the map would look like?

P.S. And what about the Sertorians in Spain? I think they already had things going over there... And the 3 Serville war would be coming... I dunno. Without this events, the campaing would be dry
    Last edited by anubis88; 06-03-2010 at 10:37.

Blog Entries

you could give one faction slot for Ivlivs Caesar family, and let the rest will be SPQR I tought. so this mod will focus on the struggle of caesar. OR PERHAPS THE OPPOSITE WAY ARROUND, made the Ivlivs Caesar family either "spawn on revolt" or "shadowing" SPQR faction. so the Romans will have to defend the republics from within. We could made several hapiness penalty for the Romans to emulate that, and Caesar will have practically no loyalty to teh SPQR...

so basically it was "SPQR" and "Imperivm Ivlianum" faction

perhaps you could kick one less important Barbarian faction... any ideas?

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Hey Gamegeek2, nice to hear from a EB team member...

I must admit i have lost a bit my all-out Principate wishes, and would love to help with a republican mod. 80 BC seems good, but it would be nice if we could find ways to script the Civil-wars that followed in Rome. Basically after the third Mithridatic war, Rome was the Alpha and the Omega, and there was nothing anyone could do... I just fear Rome would be to overpowered if there wasn't a Roman rebel faction:)...

Have you any idea what the map would look like?

P.S. And what about the Sertorians in Spain? I think they already had things going over there... And the 3 Serville war would be coming... I dunno. Without this events, the campaing would be dry
    I'm a fan first and a team member second. I'm willing to put in significant effort into this project, and already have a map in the works (via Google Earth, to suggest settlements)

I missed out on the Numidians, but I think we'd best devote our attention to the real things that put Rome in trouble - Mithradates - as well as the threats from Germania.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast