Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worth the money?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Worth the money?

Ok, so my super cheap Napoleon TW Imperial Edition version I had to give away as a present at the heavy pressures of my parents who bribed me eventually and gave me cash to buy it again, but this time I ask

Is Napoleon worth the money?

I played the demo, twice, and I had a blast, so I'm definitely inclined. I just want some more opinions.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Default Re: Worth the money?

Napoleon has already provided me with more personal enjoyment, than any other Total War game in the last ten years...

HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Every penny.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

It's definitely worth it. I've logged over several hundred hours at it now and haven't even played two of the main factions yet. Where else can you get that much gaming entertainment for only 40 bucks.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

It is a great game and I am like FO I have played hundreds of hours and have not touched 3 major factions yet.

It is immersive, it is smooth, and it is fun.

You are missing out on a lot by not having it.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Yeah well, I had it, the retail Imperial Edition, it's just that I had to give it away. Damn it...

Anyways, I'm gonna join soon. Imperial Edition on Steam, lock it to my account because I already have Empire there so I want to keep them in one basket.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

IMHO the game is not worth the current price. Why? First, some background to my opinion. I have played STW and MTW a lot (and I mean a lot). I have also played RTW but not as much: I got bored with the featureless battle maps, sieges and poor AI. Since I was disappointed with RTW I ignored MTW2 and ETW. NTW caught my attention, however, because of the idea of multiplayer campaign. Fortunately, a friend of mine has a copy so I had a chance to play instead of being forced to buy it blindly. I did not play much (maybe 20 or so hours) but what I saw was enough for me. The graphics are truly spectacular (at least compared to RTW not speaking of older titles), however the battle AI seems to be even dumber than in RTW. What really annoyed me, however, was the way the units responded to my commands. There seemed to be path finding problems in settlements. Also, as far as I could tell the units do not take into account friendly units and obstacles (including landscape) when firing. Cannons keep shooting into obvious obstacles and, unless you babysit them, massacre your own troops. In one siege battle my Chasseurs units tried to shoot straight through solid fort walls!! etc I really do not see point playing a game set in gunpowder era where units are unable to determine whether they have clear LoS. Multiplayer wont help against that.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Is Napoleon worth the money?
    You have Empire do you not? Did you enjoy it?

Napoleon is very like Empire but different and in many ways better, in my opinion, quite a lot of things have been looked at I would say if you enjoyed Empire you will probably enjoy Napoleon.

I enjoyed Empire, and I hope NTW will not dissapoint. The demo was a blast, I played it three times already, so I'm looking forward to the whole package.

My question is this - NTW or MW2? Probably the biggest dilemma I've ever had. I played the Steam Free Weekend and it was real fun, but im not too convinced of paying 60 euros + 15 for the extra DLC pack...

Proud

Been to:

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I watched some battle commentary of NTW and the AI seemed alittle dissapointing. The AI I face in ETW seemed more able. Perhaps they were bad examples. Has NTW been patched yet? What does it cost now? I'd rather get it thru Amazon than Steam.
    Silence is beautiful

The game is dirt cheap. Last I looked it was like 13.00 what ever.

It was patched, just minor stuff but they gave us free dlc with it also.

Mark Twain

Great, is that 13 USD? I was planning to buy it in June anyway.
    Silence is beautiful

$29.90 @ amazon.com.

13.98 pounds at amazon.uk

Mark Twain

Nice!
    Silence is beautiful

13 pounds?! And they sell it for 49 euros on Steam?! What a rip-off... Price discrimination of the highest degree.

Proud

Been to:

Steam probably thinks that the convienence of a download at home and perhaps the speed at which you recieve the game (depending on download speed) is worth the extra money. Personally, I'd rather wait and save getting the game on CD from amazon or some store like that. I've heared NTW also takes a long time to download and install via steam. I could be incorrect in that observation though.
    Silence is beautiful

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

umm, zeah
    I´ve trtied it, and it`s nice for 2.4 Ghz
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

That seems acceptable. I've heard horror stories that the download took hours to complete. I guess I misunderstood. Still, I think I would prefer to have a hard copy on a CD. I guess I'm just alittle old fashioned.
    Silence is beautiful

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i bought the game for 23 euros on amazon. i preordered. in the shops here it is sold for 55 euros. so thats more than 50% off. very nice. ive only played 55 hours but thats cuz im now hooked on AoE3

We do not sow.

Off topic...by AoE3 you mean age of empires? Is it good? I have it but have yet to play. Apologizes for off topic comment.
    Silence is beautiful

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    Off topic...by AoE3 you mean age of empires? Is it good? I have it but have yet to play. Apologizes for off topic comment.
    yes age of empires 3. i love that game man. the singleplayer campaign is fun (the skirmishes not so much, because hard is too easy and expert is too fake, they are too good). But what i love most is to play online. man awesome!

if you have it, install it and log in online, on eso. add me, my name is umeu. and we can play a few games. there are still like 2000 players on during peak hours, which is still very lively for a 5 year old game.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 04-28-2010 at 22:11.

We do not sow.

Sounds like fun! I'd need ALOT of practice first though. I am a complete MP virgin!
    Silence is beautiful

Got it off Amazon for 14 pounds, Imperial Edition...Might as well buy another one to have it as a collectible lol.
    Get it now, its half price I think. It's worth it considering its only 14 quid and you get the 5 extra units, compared to 49 euros on Steam!

Proud

Been to:

Good evaluation and I have to agree with you 100%. The preset battles are very boring and Waterloo especially was a big dissapointment. The number of units available are just so few. Twenty units just do not do justice to epic battles. Napoleon went into Russia with 165,000 troops hardly represented by a mere 20 units in NTW. Too bad I really liked the TW series and had hoped they would progress. The graphics are good but that's about it.

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Good evaluation and I have to agree with you 100%. The preset battles are very boring and Waterloo especially was a big dissapointment. The number of units available are just so few. Twenty units just do not do justice to epic battles. Napoleon went into Russia with 165,000 troops hardly represented by a mere 20 units in NTW. Too bad I really liked the TW series and had hoped they would progress. The graphics are good but that's about it.
    You should try playing multiplayer historical battles, or creating your own LAN server and filling all the empty slots with CPU opponents. 4v4, 80 units vs 80 units.

Hello!

I buy this game in Romania with 140 lei in 12 rates with a credit card.
    I buy after they said that is Romania in game. So for that i buy this game.
    In resurces is big eather and is very bad for an old PC.
    Graphics ok, story is Total War, so it is a taste thing if you buy or not.
    You can wait to be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Got it off Amazon for 14 pounds, Imperial Edition...Might as well buy another one to have it as a collectible lol.
    Get it now, its half price I think. It's worth it considering its only 14 quid and you get the 5 extra units, compared to 49 euros on Steam!

Awaiting the Rapture Member rotorgun's Avatar

I bought Napoleon Total War-Limited Edition at Wally World for $39.00. While it is not a perfect simulation of the Napoleonic era-and isn't meant to be, it is great fun IMHO. I have played it for many hours in the last few weeks and have more than made my money back in terms of entertainment. I like the way it captures the "feel" of the era. The music is one of my favorite features that adds this flavor. The battles are fun, even if you are limited to twenty units per army. The campaigns at least put you into the strategic shoes of the great figures of the day, with many of the same problems they had to solve-logistics, strategy, tactics, politics, diplomacy etc.

Well worth $40.00
    Rotorgun
    ...the general must neither be so undecided that he entirely distrusts himself, nor so obstinate as not to think that anyone can have a better idea...for such a man...is bound to make many costly mistakes
    Onasander

Editing my posts due to poor typing and grammer is a way of life.

i think its the best tw title since rome :) i havent had this much fun playing vanilla in a long time

Rome was a bit of a disaster, I liked M2TW more...

But I'm definitely looking forward to NTW! It's on its way!

Proud

Been to:

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I smell bias.

edyzmedieval
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast