Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worth the money?

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Worth the money?

It costs, like what? Dinner and a movie. And a cheap one at that. It lasts a lot longer than that.

If you play it on hard, some of the battles will take you days to learn how to win.

Then there are all those campaigns...

So what is the problem?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    So what is the problem?
    DLC uniforms instead of mod support?

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

There is nothing new about that you know.

DLC has only been around for a bit more than a year.

As far as mods go, CA has never done much to support them.

They have tossed us a bone a couple of times but that is all.

It has always been the community that worked it out. We are stuck on the maps for the last two games.

Most of the rest is modable.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Purchased, including all DLC, and the pre-order code I kept it for myself, so now I'm enjoying Napoleon TW.

The wow factor went away blindingly fast, after 2 hours of playing it I got bored. Will resume tonight, the main campaign with France.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Purchased, including all DLC, and the pre-order code I kept it for myself, so now I'm enjoying Napoleon TW.

The wow factor went away blindingly fast, after 2 hours of playing it I got bored. Will resume tonight, the main campaign with France.
    I'm hoping, hoping hoping to get what I want at this years E3, when they announce the new TW title. They say they're going back to basics.

ROME ANYONE?
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

I want a new Medieval...

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I want a new Medieval...
    Did you like M2TW? I started a new Venice and am having quite a good time. At war with the Byz and HRE. About to take Florance and Theselonica. Haven't used the add_money cheat yet and I am beyond 25 turns. So proud of myself! I've always been a big fan of the medieval period too, wouldn't mind a M3.
    Silence is beautiful

I still think M2TW is the last good title CA ever made. STW, MTW (the best) and M2TW are the only ones worthy of praise. The others are plain bad (RTW) or just meh (ETW). Can't judge NTW yet.

Proud

Been to:

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I didn't really like RTW either. I had some fun with ETW, even before the series of patches. I always get a good campaign going in ETW when something halts it though. GB, new patch my save games weren't compatible. Russia, new motherboard and OS had to reinstall. Had a great Swedish campaign though, Swedish colonies in America was great!
    Silence is beautiful

I got Imperial Edition on offer at Gamestation for £14.99... I never bought ETW, so leapfrogged straight from M2TW to NTW.

My machine gets very hot when playing NTW. I haven't yet started a proper campaign (just got it this week) but the battles are much better than I thought they were going to be... when set on "normal" difficulty, set your line of battle to fire-at-will, then go away and put the kettle on - but change the setting to "hard" and you will lose the battle if you don't gain local superiority.

The sea battles are brilliant... I got my butt kicked 3 times in a row, but still loved it (I really gotta learn naval tactics, hehehe).

Worth the money? Hell yeah... no glitches or bugs yet, just runs hot.
    When an evil masochist dies, does he go to hell...
    ...or would heaven be a better punishment?

Kaishakunin Member smooth_operator's Avatar
    --somewhere where there's lots of peanuts-- --and beef--

that seems reasonable...what happens when you are 99% at the download and the power fluctuates???whoa
    a totally innocent sig...

Darn it, I have to restart the campaign in Italy. The Austrians have two or three stacks every time posted around Klagenfurt!

Otherwise, enjoying it a lot. Much more than ETW to be honest, but the wow-factor might go soon.

Proud

Been to:

Firstly I'm kicking myself for just buying it on Steam - what a rip off - why didn't I look on amazon??? Wish i had read this thread first.

Secondly, ignoring the inflated steam price - I think NTW is a great great game - it's a huge improvement on ETW in terms of playability and the AI seems alot more challenging. I started playing the TW series at MTW and have been following them ever since - magnificent series - however the period covered in ETW which basically leads into the Napoleonic Era is probably one of my favourite historically speaking - I'm a big fan of the Patrick O'Brien books ( Which became the film Master & Commander ) so I was desperate for the naval battles in ETW and NTW is bang on my timeframe. (Hence I'm totally biased of course) Big thumbs up anyway for both ETW and NTW.

I'm not sure why people didn't like RTW that much though... who could resist the flaming pigs?

NTW has much better battles than ETW, although I do like the super-variation in ETW. But still, you can use tactics and actually your brain for once when playing NTW, as even on normal sometimes the AI can be a challenge.

Not worth the Steam price. Never.

Proud

Been to:

Kaishakunin Member smooth_operator's Avatar
    --somewhere where there's lots of peanuts-- --and beef--

Quote Originally Posted by The Sultan View Post
    who could resist the flaming pigs?
    now this is cute
    a totally innocent sig...

Played it even more, racked up about 30 hours so far. It's definitely worth it. Even happier that I bought the Imperial Edition.

Extra unit packs bring some flavour to the game, and it's good to use some historical units when you try to overcome the odds and conquer Moscow.

Get it while stocks last guys!

Proud

Been to:

Fisherking I think it's worth the money but of course I'd like to see some improvemets. You seem to know alot could you tell me how or where to find the Brunswick Line Infantry (Great Britian)? Sorry I hope it's ok to ask this question in this forum. I'm just at a loss I think I've looked everywhere. It isn't listed as DLC. Thanks for any help.

Get the last tier of the military recruitment building in London?

Proud

Been to:

It is definitely worth every cent. For those of you who find this time period boring, I would suggest reading The Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler. I own a three volume Folio Society edition and the game sure gives a greater experience, I should say, when you know about the nations, leaders, armies and tactics of the time.

Still not sure where Brunswick Line is. I have built everything possible in London and no Brunswick I thought it might be in another country a bit like the Polish Legion for France.

yes good game! hey guys what is wrong with twcenter.net? any ideea?
    alea iacta est

I need to change my armor Member Sir Robin's Avatar

I was an idiot and bought it through Steam myself a couple of days ago. It's still downloading too... /sigh
    Sir Robin the Not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot,
    who had nearly fought the Dragon of Agnor,
    who had nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol,
    and who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Visarion-It's back up today but was down for a couple of days not sure why or what happened, servers maybe.

SP is definitely worth the cash, but how's multiplayer?

Proud

Been to:

I played some multi last night and it was fun. ntw is really just a super improved and polished etw.

Ye I think it is a nice improvement over ETW just wish there was some way to get the ETW campaign into NTW and take over the world with NTWs improved battles now that be sweet.

If anyone is getting tired of the Napoleonic era playing NTW try out the Great War mod, huge improvements to BAI and CAI and loads of WWI esque combate which is tons of fun

Quote Originally Posted by Audacia View Post
    If anyone is getting tired of the Napoleonic era playing NTW try out the Great War mod, huge improvements to BAI and CAI and loads of WWI esque combate which is tons of fun
    which you can't get at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mic1402 View Post
    which you can't get at the moment.
    Very true, but I'm sure we could find a link somewhere ;)

And we can all be very patient, but I was just recommending this to anyone who might like it

Came back to tell you of my recent NTW endeavours - great game! I'm loving it, especially the battles. The AI is improved after the update.

And ETW has been uninstalled.

Proud

Been to:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast