Thread: Pilonidal cyst - for those of you sitting too much on the chair

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Pilonidal cyst - for those of you sitting too much on the chair

It's a big hole formed around your backside, underneath the skin, that can infect and it becomes VERY VERY painful. You can't run, you can't lie on your back...
    I thought I'd share this with you guys so you can start exercising a bit more for those who don't, and try to avoid the "rough" sports like snowboarding and karting which affect the specific area, because that is where I got mine from. When you do stand up from the chair after hours of not moving, DON'T stand up IMMEDIATELY. You'll stretch the soft tissue and this forms holes inside!

Most of the times, it will require surgery. And 40% of those having surgery will have it at least once more.

Did anyone here have it?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Pilonidal cyst - for those of you sitting too much on the chair

MY skin likes to form cysts, which angers me to no end, especially since nobody seems to know why they form, just that they've got something to do with sweat glands and skin. After having three surgically removed (left underarm, right thigh, and base of the spine) I hit on a solution: Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap (although I think any anti-bacterial soap would do). If I scrub every inch of my skin daily with this detergent-based soap, I never develop any cysts.

However, when the zombie apocalypse comes and I can't get my special soap anymore, I'm gonna be toast.

Base of the spine...Sounds like you had a pilonidal.
    Was it painful before?

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

edyz, they were all unspeakably painful, both before and during their removal; the dermatologist I was seeing before I hit on my peppermint solution was not big on anesthesia. I got a little taste of medieval medicine each time.
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-18-2010 at 20:29.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Edyz, that's so odd! I too near the lower end of my backside have this like, huge hole. It normally doesn't really bother me. Except this one time when I rode my bike. I HAD to get to work, but my saddle had been stolen. Ouch! It hurt like hell! In the beginning it did, at least, then I slowly got used to it. By the time I had to cross those cobblestones, it was alright actually. Now I drive over the cobblestones every day. I think of them as my girlfriend.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Edyz, that's so odd! I too near the lower end of my backside have this like, huge hole. It normally doesn't really bother me. Except this one time when I rode my bike. I HAD to get to work, but my saddle had been stolen. Ouch! It hurt like hell! In the beginning it did, at least, then I slowly got used to it. By the time I had to cross those cobblestones, it was alright actually. Now I drive over the cobblestones every day. I think of them as my girlfriend.
    Now that is a troll post.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Two good friends of mine have experienced them. Both waited to deal with it, a weeping growing abcessed cyst on the tail bone, till they could hardly walk. Looked like they were starting to grow a tail.

Both had surgery, wound left open packed with medicated gauze to drain, and were sent home the same day. Very painful. I changed the dressing for one of them once. I was shocked they sent him home like that. The opening was large enough I could have stuck my fist into it up to my wrist. I've seen deer shot during hunting season that didn't look as bad as that.

Don't know the cause, but I feel sorry for anyone who has to suffer with it.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    Nobody knows the cause, that's the most irritating aspect of it. I'm all about preventative maintenance, so I asked one doctor, "What can I do to keep myself clear of these things?"

He laughed at me. "Don't have sweat glands."

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Nobody knows the cause, that's the most irritating aspect of it. I'm all about preventative maintenance, so I asked one doctor, "What can I do to keep myself clear of these things?"

He laughed at me. "Don't have sweat glands."
    Nothing like a compassionate doctor with a sense of humor. I'd ask him if they're contagious, no, pity that.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

My friend had a cyst down there. I remeber what discomfort he was in. He had surgury to have it removed. It came back sometime later and he had it removed (or fixed) and it hasn't returned since, as far as I know. This was probably over 10 years ago.
    Silence is beautiful

I noticed last week sitting was slightly uncomfortable. I thought it might be hemrrhoids, but I just had a pimple on my butt.

Two good friends of mine have experienced them. Both waited to deal with it, a weeping growing abcessed cyst on the tail bone, till they could hardly walk. Looked like they were starting to grow a tail.

Both had surgery, wound left open packed with medicated gauze to drain, and were sent home the same day. Very painful. I changed the dressing for one of them once. I was shocked they sent him home like that. The opening was large enough I could have stuck my fist into it up to my wrist. I've seen deer shot during hunting season that didn't look as bad as that.

Yeah, I know. I'm going to suffer the same fate in one month when I'm getting my surgery. Worst of all, in two weeks I have my final high school exams, and if the thing decides it wants to get out already, 12 years are going down the drain just because of some sweat glands and hair.

And afterwards im going to be stuck with a hole. I hope mine won't be too big. I will eventually get plastic surgery or hope that the tissue will rebuild itself...

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Yeah, I know. I'm going to suffer the same fate in one month when I'm getting my surgery. Worst of all, in two weeks I have my final high school exams, and if the thing decides it wants to get out already, 12 years are going down the drain just because of some sweat glands and hair.

And afterwards im going to be stuck with a hole. I hope mine won't be too big. I will eventually get plastic surgery or hope that the tissue will rebuild itself...
    It won't be fun, but you'll get through it all right, edyz. Don't fixate on the surgery, nothing you can do about that. Concentrate on what you can control, your performance on those exams. Good luck!

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know the 'pedia isnt the best source of info, but reading this thread got me kinda scared, but this on treatment from wiki:

Treatment may include antibiotic therapy, hot compresses and application of depilatory creams.

In more severe cases, the cyst may need to be lanced or surgically excised (along with pilonidal sinus tracts). Post-surgical wound packing may be necessary, and packing typically must be replaced twice daily for 4 to 8 weeks. In some cases, 1 year may be required for complete granulation to occur. Sometimes the cyst is resolved via surgical marsupialisation.[13]

Surgeons can also excise the sinus and repair with a reconstructive flap technique, which is done under general anesthetic. This approach is mainly used for complicated or recurring pilonidal disease, leaves little scar tissue and flattens the region between the buttocks, reducing the risk of recurrence.[14]

A novel and less destructive treatment is scraping the tract out and filling it with fibrin glue. This has the advantage of causing much less pain than traditional surgical treatments and allowing return to normal activities after 1-2 days in most cases.[15]

Pilonidal cysts recur and do so more frequently if the surgical wound is sutured in the midline, as opposed to away from the midline, which obliterates the natal cleft and removes the focus of shearing stress.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Nothing like a compassionate doctor with a sense of humor.
    Mm-hmm. When I was getting the last one I ever had (under my left arm) removed, the surgeon nicked an artery and I got to watch my blood splash all over the room. Exciting! He leaned his entire body weight into the cut to stop the bleeding, which hurt like a mother-duck, and assured me that a secret to surgery is that all bleeding stops eventually. "Of course," he grinned, "it may be after the patient bleeds out and dies."
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-19-2010 at 15:57.

It won't be fun, but you'll get through it all right, edyz. Don't fixate on the surgery, nothing you can do about that. Concentrate on what you can control, your performance on those exams. Good luck!
    Yeah, turns out the local doctor said I won't resist another month, so I'm off home. Thursday morning I'm getting it lanced if all goes well.

Proud

Been to:

Lovely, got it lanced on Thursday and I had to sit 6 days in the hospital. So far so good, but no running or swimming for 2-3 months! Urgh...

Proud

Been to:

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Lovely, got it lanced on Thursday and I had to sit 6 days in the hospital. So far so good, but no running or swimming for 2-3 months! Urgh...
    Like you needed an excuse to be lazy?

Glad to hear it went well though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Wow... that post made me want to stand up...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.