Thread: Maratha CAN dominate Europe!

Default Maratha CAN dominate Europe!

As Maratha , I conquered all India , Persia and Ottoman Turks.
    By the time I step in Europe the Prussians had 1 province and the Austrians were eliminated by the Polish. So Europe had 3 major powers. British, France and Poland.
    Russia was having a hard time fighting Sweden who have expanded east.

Maratha was underpowered ,military speaking, BUT i used their military Pros:

1. FULL STACK armies with 5+ star generals.
    2. Army composition: Sikh Musk. , Swordsmen ( excellent to outflank the European elite infantry), Great - Organ Guns and Heavy cavarly to surround them (India have good cavarly) and Hillmen as light infantry.
    3. Have yours thugs assassinate their multistar generals before you fight them.
    4. Sabotage their advanced barracks.
    5. Use Afghan/Kurdish Hillmen as light infantry( not jaegers but they do their job well if used wisely)
    6. Fight defensive battles mostly.
    7. Finally, remember that human intelligence is always superior that any CPU A.I.....!

I crashed the Polish and French (yesterday I took Paris, now the french are starving in low level provinces like Alsait-loraire and Flanders). Now I will fight my way with the British....
    " Heroes fight like Greeks " , Winston Churchill.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Maratha CAN dominate Europe!

Welcome aboard!

Monster Nations! Have you gone into the Americas yet?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I was tempted to try Maratha in my next campagin. Up to now I have never made an attempt to take any of India, just trade with it. Also, the lack of gunpowder infantry units had been turning me off.

edit: I also thought they couldn't raise much of a navy. But from reading several posts it would seem that I was wrong...
    Last edited by A Nerd; 04-20-2010 at 19:27.
    Silence is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Welcome aboard!

Monster Nations! Have you gone into the Americas yet?

I have taken both pirate islands. When i conquer in europe the last 2 french territories I will go for their holdings in America. But i have to decide if first i start a war with the British in europe. Its tough!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    I was tempted to try Maratha in my next campagin. Up to now I have never made an attempt to take any of India, just trade with it. Also, the lack of gunpowder infantry units had been turning me off.

edit: I also thought they couldn't raise much of a navy. But from reading several posts it would seem that I was wrong...
    They cannot recruit Heavy First Rates, Rocketships, or Steamships. With the new tech tree, this means that going for the Steam Drydock is not as important for the Marathans. Naval hospitals are available earlier and do fine for the Maratha side. If you want any of the Heavy 1Rs etc., you'll have to acquire them. They'll be rare as the AI builds them very little.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I want to add something. I play the Maratha campaign ,described in first post, on H/H difficulty. I believe that Europe for Maratha is a no-go..

Quote Originally Posted by petsman47 View Post
    I want to add something. I play the Maratha campaign ,described in first post, on H/H difficulty. I believe that Europe for Maratha is a no-go..
    I Mean is a no-go for VH/VH difficulty..

It isn't. London is a great staging ground, as well as Rome and Venice.

Yeah, but he careful for the European Navies. They're usually more developed than the Maratha Navy, and can VERY annoying if your trying to transport your horde to Europe.

Paris is good staging ground and a rich one...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magic Mage View Post
    Yeah, but he careful for the European Navies. They're usually more developed than the Maratha Navy, and can VERY annoying if your trying to transport your horde to Europe.
    Depends where you are going. Morocco can be reached in one move. For the others, if you can afford a few turns delay, you can go bakc and forth up the Atlantic transit zones (to America the back to Europe) doing most of your on map movement on the almost always vacant American fringe. Iceland is a one move destination from the top transit box. If you're making for England/Norway, then head North around Iceland -- usually leaves you out of their tripwire range. Yes, Euro navies under AI control have that unerring beeline for your fleet capability that is SO annoying.

On the other hand, 2nd Rates are the backbone of your fleet and well handled can face anything up to a Heavy first rater. With good fire discipline and a little micro managing, it will beat anything afloat that isn't smart enough to run.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

How does the Maratha stack up against the Muhgals? Why do they always roll over them?
    Silence is beautiful

How does the Maratha stack up against the Muhgals? Why do they always roll over them?
    Play a campaign as the Mughuls and you will quickly see why they fold against the Maratha under AI control. All of their developed territories are north, requiring long distance marching for their better troops. Their starting armies are slightly smaller than the Maratha, meaning that when its auto-calc, they will likely lose.

Also, their troops are.....not good. The have not a single unit that can form squares. Even if they lasted long enough, they have no units that can use bayonets or fire by rank. Their swordsmen, who are the best melee unit in the game, are still weak against horses, and can only be built from a high tier barracks. Really, their only stellar unit is camel gunners, which aren't exactly unique.

Though, if you want to play as the Mughuls, I'd recommend that you instead play as Persia or Mysore, because they don't start off with so many territories and are thus much harder. Mughul's main problem is that player control nullifies most of their weaknesses, but in straight up auto-calc, their subpar units get destroyed.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Interesting! Can you suggest any unlocker mods that work with 1.6?
    Silence is beautiful

What makes me laugh is usally the Mughals collpase into a Republic, it's quite funny. When that happens, you know it's over for them.

Interesting! Can you suggest any unlocker mods that work with 1.6?
    I got mine from Total War Center, in the startpos mod section. And I'm 95% sure I'm still using the 1.5 unlocker and it still works.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Cool! Thanks! I'll have to check that out!
    Silence is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    They cannot recruit Heavy First Rates, Rocketships, or Steamships. With the new tech tree, this means that going for the Steam Drydock is not as important for the Marathans. Naval hospitals are available earlier and do fine for the Maratha side. If you want any of the Heavy 1Rs etc., you'll have to acquire them. They'll be rare as the AI builds them very little.
    They also lack a shipyard without either first ripping out a trade port or waiting for a new port to develop, which can hamper them in the early game at sea. Still, they can be the equal of any European Navy with a large enough investment.