The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Default Re: Preview: The Pritanoi

It's beatiful!
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

WOW!

I'll have to take the time and read this all soon, but the parts I already read were great! I certainly was not expecting this.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Brilliant! Just brilliant! Those shields in particular are all beautiful.

And as for having a completely new approach- a very good idea (although what will happen for ethnicities? will they disappear completely for the Pritanoi?) but be prepared for years of "where are the Iceni?" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeran View Post
    Brilliant! Just brilliant! Those shields in particular are all beautiful.

And as for having a completely new approach- a very good idea (although what will happen for ethnicities? will they disappear completely for the Pritanoi?) but be prepared for years of "where are the Iceni?" threads.

Ah, a good question. The ethnicities will in fact stay the same (maybe some tweaks to spelling), even though we can't really push the tribes back that far in time. After all, by say 100 BC many of the tribes known to the Romans probably already existed, and possibly much sooner. If you like, think of the ethnic identities as being the names of family groups that would later develop into larger tribes - which is precisely what I think did happen.

Thanks Gustave for the shields, he did a bang up job.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oudysseos View Post
    1. The home province of the Pritanoi is not Durowernon, but Uffington Castle (Penncrugon), in the landlocked province of Arduon (Arden, the High Place, or the Uplands). The screenshots do not reflect this (WIP, right?)

Uffington Castle was/is a hill fort of relatively modest size, but remained in use throughout the period, and its proximity to the Uffington White Horse, the Manger, Dragon Hill, The Blowing Stone, and Wayland's Smithy strongly suggests that the area was one of ritual or ceremonial importance. The White Horse itself is such an iconic symbol that it was actually my first choice for the new Faction Symbol - but there are already a lot of horses in other Faction Symbols, and also we wanted to keep the original colours as much as possible - and the horse really needed to be on a green background. It still might show up on banners and stuff like that - we'll see.

Gameplay factors were also of some consideration (though not primary) insofar as the starting province of the faction is in the middle of southern Britain and touches five other provinces, giving the player immediate choices to make as to the direction for expansion. These choices will have consequences - moving south to the Channel coast will bring you into contact with the Continent, with increased trade and access to Armorican and Belgic mercenaries - but will also introduce problems of loyalty and control of the population. Moving north to Liverpool Bay will bring you trade contacts with Ireland and the north, and will be somewhat easier to assimilate, but will not have the immediate technological benefits of the southern regions. In a way, you get to choose whether you head north and 'become' the Corieltauvi or Brigantes, or south to take on the role of the Trinovantes or Catuvellauni.
    Superb! It's great to see the team leaving the options open for the player, rather than having a fixed, "Briton" campaign

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    We are aware of the model, but thank you for your suggestion all the same.
    Yeah, I figured that you guys would already know, but I just wanted to be positive because it would be rather a waste to have a model like that and not try to use it. The main issue I can think of is the fact that that model is only applicable to town level settlements I believe... I'm not sure if it is possible to keep the model for multiple settlement levels or to expand upon the model and make a larger hill fort.
    from Megas Methuselah, for some information on Greek colonies in Iberia.

Very good! I like seeing EBII making so much progress.

I read that you wanted to represent the different horse breeds in this mod and seeing that these horses look more like ponies because they are so small I wonder if you are really going to do this. If yes: That´s great!!!! Go On like this!

Astounding historical research, well done team.

At first I was somewhat disappointed because I'm such a celtic fan, but by the end I'm sold.

This mod needs to come out now.

Many thanks for this preview
    from plutoboyz

Good... gravy...
    Is there such thing as too much information?
    For most of the EB fans on this forum, probably not. But I'm completely saturated for now. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by B_Ray View Post
    Good... gravy...
    Is there such thing as too much information?
    For most of the EB fans on this forum, probably not. But I'm completely saturated for now. Great job!
    Uh... I guess I'd better hold off on part 2 for a while then...
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Very very juicy. Great work, to build on the ground broken by the Casse in EB1.

I can't wait to see what you guys have done with the mechanisms available in EB2 (especially loyalty). The period of isolation down to the "proto-Romanisation" period will no doubt be a challenge, and what dramatic shifts await the player once they are plugged back into the continental system?

The map is a fascinating. I am struck by the areas of activity during the transformative hill fort period in the supporting documentation. I guess the geography is to blame for the similarities to developments in the post Roman world ( I keep thinking of the heptarchy).

The other thing that strikes me is a detail on the map. I note there is a slice of territory at the eastern end of Kent...is this a "Cape Taenarem" type solution to drag Britain into the Belgic world?

I have nominated the Numidians for my first taste of EB2, but this is soooooo tempting. I guess I will just have to start 30 or so simultaneous campaigns when it does come out.

Juicy work, this mod is turning out to be a feast with many courses.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

outstanding!

Best faction yet! After being stuck in Naples for the last 5 days, I needed to get the mediterranean taste out of my mouth.

Greatest Preview ever
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

tribu Sequani, 15 milia north of Epomanduodurum. (origin Locus Venedi)

simply outstanding! - I am still shaking.
    I see I lost full day not to see it because no feed from twitter. how could you

An great preview!

Especially the shields looked great, hinting at what each "class" would probably be using.

Also nice to hear that the Casse spearmen will trow rocks before battle. Read in this book that some Germanics trew wooden clubs at their enemies, though I gues most would just trow javelins and darts.

Quote Originally Posted by Taliferno View Post
    Best faction yet! After being stuck in Naples for the last 5 days, I needed to get the mediterranean taste out of my mouth.
    All hail the vulcanos of Iceland?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Clear the battlefield... Member Tarkus's Avatar

Wow -- all I can do is reinforce everybody else's comments...FANTASTIC work!

Congratulations to you, oudysseos, and your colleagues for an amazing effort! Can't wait to see this beast in its final form...
    I have seen the future and it is very much like the present, only longer -- Kehlog Albran, The Profit

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

ALL HAIL BRITANNIA!!!!!
    ALL HAIL BRITANNIA!!!!!
    ALL HAIL BRITANNIA!!!!!

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Celto-Germanic Spearman Member Kuningaz's Avatar

Completely awesome preview! (there can never be too much information ) I only got a little confused in the 'province description part' as I'm not that familiar with english geography

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

*whistles*

Incredible amount of info and work. I'll have to save reading this preview for the weekend so I can thoroughly enjoy it.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

WOW. I should be studying for finals, so I can't read it all just yet, but merely scrolled through most of it. Nevertheless, there are bits and pieces amongst the words I did read that was amazing. Dismounted bodyguards? Sweeeet. Recruitment that won't depend solely on mnai, but on seasonal avaliability, as well as numerical availability (nobles = less. warriors = respectable number. levies = very many, but seasonal)? AWESOME. The balance of both human and AI armies will be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus
    Rather, following the practice of other Celtic societies like later Ireland, I looked to the land for inspiration, and found names that were either based on geography, river names or the one source that we have from this time: the travels of Pytheas of Massalia.
    O... M... G. WOW. Does this give anyone else a hard-on?

Btw, will M2TW & Kingdoms allow the AI to retrain their units?

good stuff guys

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    Wow -- all I can do is reinforce everybody else's comments...FANTASTIC work!

Congratulations to you, oudysseos, and your colleagues for an amazing effort! Can't wait to see this beast in its final form...
    A pleasure.

It's really amazing what oudy's done here.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

The sheer awesomeness of this 'new' Briton Faction can only be praised with this anthem (a to whom that gets the full pun):

All Hail Britannia!!!

p.s. Pritanoi shall be my SECOND Capmaign when EBII is out. (First being MAKEDONIA)

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

I am blown away....very excited and humbled. Thanks

Lol at the file name of the Pritanoi symbol :)

Quote Originally Posted by HFox View Post
    Lol at the file name of the Pritanoi symbol :)
    Hahahahahaha... Yeah... It kinda shows how much work was put into this preview :)
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast