Thread: Line Infantry

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Default Line Infantry

I've heard line infantry from faction to faction vary. Some are better than others. For instance, Prussian Line is the best while Russian Line tends to fare not so well but doesn't mind as much if it takes more casualties than others. Is this true or have I just been hearing false thoughts and/or interpretations?
    Silence is beautiful

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Line Infantry

So far, the biggest factor in casualties among my liners is the difficulty setting. On hard, it is fairly common for Bargir infantry to out-shoot my company line and shoot even with my regulars.

The Fusil troop book covers the numeric differences pretty well, especially with the ROF charts in the back.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Interesting, so the stats for line infantry are basically the same from faction to faction? The only variance is from changing difficulty levels?
    Silence is beautiful

Yes, it would probably over-power one faction if they had better line infantry just because it was so histroical. If the Prussian line was better than the others, in 30 turns we'll be seeing the first König von Europa!

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I was under the assumption ( and a quick check a while ago did confirm it I think) that there are small differences in stats of line infantry of different countries. That being said, playing on anything other than medium will change these differences in your (dis)advantage.

When on medium, Prussia should reload the fastest, Austria has a bit more men I believe and Russia are better at melee. Just compare them on the Fusil and adjust your tactics accordingly. there is no best unit just appropriate tactics to deal with your unit's strengths and weaknesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

I like such attentions to detail on what some might consider a generic unit.
    Silence is beautiful

Yeah, most of the factions are slightly tweaked. Prussian Line Infantry is generally the best, with the Russians bringing up the rear.

Yeah, I've noticed my Russian Line doesn't fare as well as the British Line (as I am playing as Russia now vs. Brition previously). Though my Russians stood up well to a Swedish Line army, but I was firing canister at them the whole time as well!
    Silence is beautiful

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Have your Russians melee sooner and you should fare a whole lot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

I'll have to do that. My rag-tag army that is currently marching thur Swedish territory in order to break them during this war they provoked with me. Any more big expensive battles like the one I fought before and it will be destroyed. Costing me time and money as the Ottomans and Maratha get more agressive to my south. I want to finish off Sweden quickly and as you said, using my line infantry in alittle more melee might turn the tide. Sweden has a lot of line milling about thier capital. I might go for Denmark and Norway first (both held by Sweden), but I still have to contend with those rather large field forces (two 1/4 stacks) and the army (1/3 stack) of line in the capital. Hope my Russians are ready for melee! Wish me luck!

edit: do you know how Swedish Line measures up to Russian?
    Silence is beautiful

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    I'll have to do that. My rag-tag army that is currently marching thur Swedish territory in order to break them during this war they provoked with me. Any more big expensive battles like the one I fought before and it will be destroyed. Costing me time and money as the Ottomans and Maratha get more agressive to my south. I want to finish off Sweden quickly and as you said, using my line infantry in alittle more melee might turn the tide. Sweden has a lot of line milling about thier capital. I might go for Denmark and Norway first (both held by Sweden), but I still have to contend with those rather large field forces (two 1/4 stacks) and the army (1/3 stack) of line in the capital. Hope my Russians are ready for melee! Wish me luck!

edit: do you know how Swedish Line measures up to Russian?
    Get this guide and you'll have most of the material needed for comparisons.

Morale for both nation's line infantry is 7 -- a wash (a morale enhancing general will help a lot).

In general, bog standard swedish line is 20% more accurate and reloads 67% faster. That means that a front line of 40 shooters for you will, if everything is more or less ideal, hit 14 of them with each volley. Their front line of 40 will hit 16 of your blokes. Of itself, not too bad. However, the reload means you'll get off less than two shots a minute two their three and a third. In 5 minutes ideal firing, your unit of 120 will killed their entire unit...unfortunately, your entire unit was wiped out at around the 90 second mark. Basic translation, they will shoot you to pieces unless you can alter the odds with terrain, angles, local superiority, and/or cover.

With the blade, Russkis are 11 in attack and defense and gain a 16 charge bonus. The Swedes are 9 attack, 13 defense and a 12 charge bonus. They are, essentially, your equal unless you charge. If you charge, your initial kill advantage should give you a numbers edge that allows you to win.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Nice! Thanks for the informative advice! Back to the front!
    Silence is beautiful