Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Napoleon WWI Mod

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Default Re: Napoleon WWI Mod

Perhaps WWI in time. They are doing Shogun 2 next.
    Silence is beautiful

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I still can't imagine how they would do the battles in this game then.

very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Kerwick View Post
    very cool!
    Greetings good sir! I haven't tried this mod myself for I haven't tried NTW yet, but perhaps you have or will?
    Silence is beautiful

All credit to the modders for trying, but anyone with detailed knowledge of Verdun, Fromelles, Somme, Passchendaele (to name just some major actions) will know that they simply are beyond the scope of any TW engine - probably beyond anything given the current technology and AI capabilities - you simply dont have the large enough scale for the huge numbers of artillery/ machines guns and leave enough slots for the huge infantry units required. Add that to the fact the when the attacker gets into the defenders positions they are usually reduced to 10% or less - and the trench fighting itself devolved into scratch groups of survivors of many units having a 'bombing' fight with similar units of defenders .... almost two totally different battle models.. as for the craters, seas of mud, acres of barbed wire etc etc - crazy (as the war itself was)

Lucius

New Member Member Jasper The Builder's Avatar

Damn shame TW have picked shogan instead of a 19th/20th century total war game

Hey guys

The Great War mod team is still working on this mod every day, and every day we accomplish something new. Remember, this mod is still very much in beta stage, so expect a lot more, including MG's, tanks, and more WWI-esque type combat. Stop in at TWC for an update once in a while, you'd be surprised how many things can change in a day! And we will also be getting our own Great War forum on TWC soon.

Just a bit of a heads up if you guys havn't heard, TGW is now compatible with the latest NTW patch, allowing guerilla units such as snipers to be deployed outside the deployment zone. Also, our team, specifically a fellow named King Sama has found a way to implement puckle guns from ETW into NTW, which could be the beginings of those beloved machine guns. Along with the puckle guns, we have found a way to implement elephants into NTW as well, which we can possibly reskin and create tanks. We have already found a way to give the elephant rider a musket, so hopefully there can be some headway into making some sort of turret!

As you've already read in this thread, our team leader did a fantastic job in making the AI made for NTW into an AI that acts much more closely to the Great Powers of WWI. Battles are superb, and already have a sense of WWI-esque combat if you ask me, especially the artillery
    As of now, we are still trying to improve the Naval aspect of our mod, so that we can create more WWI-era warships, but this has proved to be very difficult. However, all naval warships are reskinned with iron plating and their stats are equivilant to those of the ships one would see in The Great War.

Last but not least, TGW team is waiting for a model converter, so that MG's, helmets, tanks, or anything else can be implemented into this mod. Hopefully this will arrive shortly, and The Great War Mod will have achieved a revolutionary feat in the world of modifications

That sounds great! I watched some early battles on a youtube page and was quite impressed! I look forward to future progress!
    Silence is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    That sounds great! I watched some early battles on a youtube page and was quite impressed! I look forward to future progress!
    Yes, the battles you watched are quite old, and many changes have been made since them. In fact, in one of them I believe the flags weren't even updated to WWI era yet lol

But still they do give a small hint of what gameplay will be like, the strategy is completely different to win a battle, it truly puts me to the test. Especially with artillery that can blow any attack to pieces.

Also with the campaign gameplay, you may or may not know that the economy has been re-done, in order to allow the human player and the AI to sustain a front line, meaning cheaper recruitment costs and unit upkeep, so ideally any nation can sustain a front just like in WWI without going completely bankrupt

BTW, even when TWC gets back up I'd be glad to keep you guys updated on the mod as a member of the team ;)
    Last edited by Audacia; 07-07-2010 at 01:20.

BTW, even when TWC gets back up I'd be glad to keep you guys updated on the mod as a member of the team ;)
    Sure, I'm always up to hear about how the mod is coming along. I didn't even realize that NTW could be modded as it is in this WWI mod!
    Silence is beautiful

Hi, I'm on the mod team for the GW mod you are talking about. Audacia gave a pretty good description.

I believe that another member will be trying to convert the elephant models into tanks using the ETW converter, which theoretically should be possible and if it works out we should have tanks sooner than we expected! Also, there was an idea to recreate barbed wire using the stakes we have ingame already.

I think we should contact Mitch and set up a seperate thread here for updates and such. Maybe you could head it Audacia, you seem to have the most experience here.

And to those of you with your doubts, the mod really has done a lot, and has the potential to become a truly incredible mod.

PS. Some crazy smilies you guys got over here

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    Hi, I'm on the mod team for the GW mod you are talking about. Audacia gave a pretty good description.

I believe that another member will be trying to convert the elephant models into tanks using the ETW converter, which theoretically should be possible and if it works out we should have tanks sooner than we expected! Also, there was an idea to recreate barbed wire using the stakes we have ingame already.

I think we should contact Mitch and set up a seperate thread here for updates and such. Maybe you could head it Audacia, you seem to have the most experience here.

And to those of you with your doubts, the mod really has done a lot, and has the potential to become a truly incredible mod.

PS. Some crazy smilies you guys got over here
    Of course I'd be up for that

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post

There are two things I was wondering about here, first you would need to be able to plant a lot of reskinned chevaux to replicate barbed wire fields, how can you do this and still get the 'trenches'. The second issue is - assuming a nice zone of barbed wire - aren't the elephants/tanks going to have problems with that ? (also the 'barbed wire' would need to be destructible by artillery fire)

I think this could be the most difficult mod possible to do, all credit for giving it a go

I'll admit I'm not the tech guy when it comes to reskins and models, but I can give you this much consolence, that The Great War team has been working, and works, constantly to create new ideas and solutions.

Our main concerns as of now are, not in any particular order here: (Great War guys feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, I'm not sure if I can speak for the team)
    1) implementing the MG's through puckleguns, we have a few breakthroughs there like rate of fire and reloading times
    2) solving any bug/issues that still seem to appear with version 4.1
    3) the tanks I guess, like I said I don't know if I can speak for the team quite yet
    4) and bulking up minor nation's with unique units, naval stats, and creating models for other unique WWI units

Hmm - double posted - sorry
    Last edited by Lucius Verenus; 07-09-2010 at 12:38. Reason: Double Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Verenus View Post
    There are two things I was wondering about here, first you would need to be able to plant a lot of reskinned chevaux to replicate barbed wire fields, how can you do this and still get the 'trenches'. The second issue is - assuming a nice zone of barbed wire - aren't the elephants/tanks going to have problems with that ? (also the 'barbed wire' would need to be destructible by artillery fire)

I think this could be the most difficult mod possible to do, all credit for giving it a go
    Firstly, we'd need a converter before we do the barbed wire because it needs a new model not just a retexture imo. And I meant the stakes that can be deployed mid-battle, it might not be so accurate but then neither are soldiers carrying around a large stake mid-battle in vanilla. As for elephants, i'm not sure whether they are harmed by stakes, so thats something I have to check. I'm also pretty sure stakes are destructible.

It is a very difficult undertaking especially since we lost our original team leader for unkown reasons, but then again a lot has been done in only 3-4 months of development time.

As for priorities, here's some more:
    5)making the starting positions more historical
    6) creating new factions from old ones, such as Serbia

And I don't know how far in the future but we are also planning to remake the minor campaigns. I've started on making the peninsula campaign into the Spanish Civil War of 1936, but that will take a while. Also, another member came up with an interesting idea for sub machine guns, so that may come sooner than expected.

About the team leader thing, I was never even around to see Thor in action, but I can say with assurance that Mitch has done an excellent job leading the team and organizing/creating new ideas. BTW to those of you at the org, Mitch was the co-creator of the mod, he is now the team leader, and although I cannot compare him to Thor because I never personally knew him, I think Mitch has been and will be a superb leader for this fantastic mod

Here's what's due for our next release, this was posted by our team leader the day TWC went back up

The Game Plan

Ok, so we haven't had an update in a long while, due in part because of TWC downtime, we needed some feedback, and I'v been playing a whole load of multiplayer..

But we do have quite a few plans for the next update 4.2.

So far, this is what I know will be coming. Probably we will gather a whole load more when we're completely back on our feet.
    We have some lovely Naval updates from Aanker, Iv actualy played with these and they're looking good so far. He also plans to do even more, such as new ship classes. etc
    We FINALLY, have the names of the flamethrowers and ALL OF THE SHIPS fixed.
    Josst has lead me to believe we will have an extremely nice AI update coming, featuring things such as the AI recruiting less flamethrowers/Snipers and more arty, infantry, like it should.
    BUGS, obviously many bugs will be fixed, needless to say they where numerous and we are cutting them down.
    Startpos V2, see below for more details.
    The fan made units such as the extra Germans, and the Canadians, will have their not so WW1 like uniforms made more WW1-ish. (No more red uniform for Canadians.)
    Expect more units. Just a few examples, France will be getting a better navy more specific special classes, more nations will have the special units that can be used such as the German Infiltrator battalion.
    Moral, due to the old napoleon ways, losing 50 men in a 100 man unit, has the same effect as losing 50 men in our massive 400 man units.. This will be changed as to achieve the effect that your guys now don't run away so quickly !
    New General portraits, no more 18th Century Gen's leading your armies.
    More that I'v most likely forgotten.

StartPos V2
    Firstly Version 2 will contain all of the nations that where missing in V1, we'll now have brand new nations such as the long awaited Serbia, Netherlands, Romania, Norway and more. Due to the feedback we've gained one major goal of V2 was to make Germany that bit harder, a few things have been adjusted and they should now hopefuly act like the France in vanilla.
    There where quite a few alliance and friendship problems inherent in V1 (Germany really liking Italy for example.), these will be fixed and should hopefuly eliviate some of the problems faced with alliances.
    Whats more to combine the making Germany stronger, and improved alliances, nations such as the Ottoman Empire will now be allied with Germany.
    A few bugs/problems that came about in startpos, such as France had control over one of Germany's barracks, these bugs are now fixed.
    Many buildings in V1 were vastly dispraportionate to what should have been had and what was needed to have a functioning AI, such as Germany has no military ports, Britain has developed cities, this has now been spread to the other nations to give much more fairness, and hopefuly get Germany on the right track.
    Myself and the Great War team, and a few good friends, have all been playing a lot of MP campaigns, because of this, the startpos will now be tweaked so its fair for everyone and a few improvements here and their. Oh and expect the multiplayer startpos, that I'v given to a few people already, to come in the next update
    Last edited by Audacia; 07-10-2010 at 15:59.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

How likely is it that you will even get a model converter? I haven't heard anything from CA about that.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

When we do get a model converter it will not come from CA, but instead our team leader has hired a computer programmer (I believe) who will assist us in using the tool, or something along those lines.
    But we will get the model converter, sooner or later

Also another update MG's and SMG's have been successfully implemented and will appear in our next release, that's right, SMG's too!!

And you might like these, some ship models

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

AND one more thing, check out www.thegreatwarmod.com if in case this site or TWC goes down, courtesy of pvtgunny it has a forum and everything.
    Thanks for supporting TGW mod!
    Last edited by Audacia; 07-15-2010 at 17:58.

I hope he is getting paid well. I would be a pain to reverse engineer a format.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Yes it might cost us hundreds of dollars don't worry

Ok boys and girls here's another update for you all, The Great War Mod Version 4.2 should be released sometime before the weekend, for those of you interested in downloading the mod just go to http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=349267, scroll down and click DOWNLOAD!

Also, to keep everyone interested, here's what our Naval update 1.5 (included in 4.2) will look like

Originally posted by Aanker (TGW Mod Team)

Naval Stats Update 1.5 is almost done! Here are some of the changes:

- wind should no longer have any effect on ships
    - speeds have been reworked according to data based on Jane's
    - armour has been reworked; previously, the armour values seen on the unit data cards were irrelevant.
    - every nation can now also build Pre-Dreadnaught battleships. These are heavily armoured, cheaper than (Dreadnaught) battleships and have comparatively short build-time, but slow, short-ranged, inaccurate and outgunned by any modern ship.
    - destroyers have been given "torpedoes". These are high-damage, short-ranged weapons that can be used against battleships. Beware, though, that getting into torpedo range can be a problem. This weapon was added to make the destroyer more meaningful, since there are (as of yet) no torpedo boats or submarines.
    - three new ships have been given to France: the Courbet class (BB), Bretagne class (BB) and the Charlemagne class (Pre-Dread).

Changes to be made:
    - transport ships will be added. Only meant to transport troops: they are very cheap and built very fast. Long campaign movent range will make them a valuable asset to the British during the early campaign game. Do not try to engage anything with them, though, since all they carry are very light guns

And a few wonderfully drawn loading screens by Aanker as well

Please do rep this old fellow if you are a member at TWC, and continue to rep TGW team!!

And remember.....

Last edited by Audacia; 07-20-2010 at 17:59.

Alright here we go, lots to tell you and I do hope for a response! There is so much here right now and even more to come on the horizon!

First off, The Great War Modification for NTW Version 4.2 has finally been released! Go to http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=374691 to download it. Follow the download instruction on the bottom of the page.

You all know what 4.2 consists of from my previous posts, so no need to explain here.

Secondly, The Great War mod finally has a forum on TW Center!! So go to http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1608 in order to rep the team, post new ideas, and ask for technical help. This was definitely a huge step for TGW team.

And most importantly, a model converter has finally, finally come out!! So expect helmets, realistic weaponry, trenches, and much more to come in version 4.3!! Tanks are being developed as we speak, so if not in the next release, expect them soon enough. TGW team thanks you all for your support, and we hope you continue to post here and on TWC to voice your support for this exceptional mod

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.

A new video I made for the Great War

Last edited by Audacia; 08-05-2010 at 19:36.

Terrific video!
    Silence is beautiful

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

the video has been removed, its good though that the mod is advancing so quickly!

We do not sow.

Sorry guys, I took it down to edit some stuff, its back up now! Better transitions, I fixed the US flag to the 48 star one, and I put some propaganda posters in

Member Member Shigemasa Oyamada's Avatar

I wish I had all the technical knowledge for making mods, as I have alot of ideas for things (I even have thoughts on how a WWII Total War game would work, but it'd probably be too massive for todays computers). Great job on the Mod, and I hope to try it myself. History is something that I love learning about, so promise me your mod will be historically accurate.
    It is possible to be too much smarter than your opponent. If you give credit for more subtlety than he has, he can achieve tactical surprise by doing the obvious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast