Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Money and Power: Beginnings [Concluded]

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Default Blood Money and Power: Beginnings [Concluded]

Blood

He knelt before her grave, no tears in his eyes and only cold anger in his heart. She had died when they had come to "liberate" his people, the scream of the artillery and crescendo of the firefights in the night as the Westerners had paved away through the feeble Warlords armies were the last lullabies his children had heard.

They took away everything, and then gave it all back, under the guise of charity. Instead, they enslaved his people, forcing them to work in the factories and plants that now dotted the landscape for a mere pittance. Those who resisted or demanded more were killed, exiled, or branded as terrorists. In the schools now, the Westerns taught their education, brainwashing the children into obedient servants.

But few said anything for those who had lost, for why should they? Everything was given, so long as you never questioned the Corporation.

A tear escaped his eye, surprising him. He moved to wipe it away, but instead, looked upon it with awe as the rising sun's light glanced off of it, and it was filled with wondrous colors. It touched his heart, and he held it close, the thoughts of his people swirling in his mind as emotion overcame him. In that moment, he decided upon his path. He would liberate his people, and pay blood for blood.

Money

He smiled at the numbers before him. All was good, and soon even more cash would flow in. He had manipulated the Government into capturing this area with the Army, and using the Corporation's Mercenaries, began to seize all assets within the area. They would grow rich, him and his fellow Executives, and at a fraction of the cost.

He thought of all the new things he could buy, and his mouth watered at it - the best food, the best cars, the largest mansions, the most exotic women. So what if a few thousand suffered? It was simply the nature of the beast, and if he wanted to take, something had to give. He was the stronger, and their current existence was simply a result of that - he was not God, he did not make the rules, and he could not remake them. Such is life.

He let his mind drift to the thought of the party later tonight, and mused upon what suit he would wear. "The white or the black...hmmm..."

Power

"Why...that is all I ask."

From the pool of blood surrounding him, the Mercenary looked up at the man he once trusted and called friend, even brother. Amongst him lay the rest of the PMC, effortlessly butchered where they stood. This man, conviction in his eyes and being, responded in a smooth voice, a hint of fervor.

"Humanity has fallen from grace. It's leaders have become weak, and corrupt. It's people, decadent and fearful. Nation's steal from the poor and helpless, and we bicker of the inconsequential as the world decay's and falls apart around us."

The Mercenary spit out blood, his time left limited. "But...we could've..."

The man interrupted. "No, you are only motivated by money. You, and all of those who worked with us, were cowardly, selfish beings. Do not deny this - you have let the innocent die for a few coin more. You would have never worked with me - your loyalty was to your pay check, not to the people. I shall seize power, I shall direct the world into a new golden era, and I will do it with the same conviction as myself - not you."

The Mercenaries vision began to blur, and his mind began to numb, as the man finished.

"But I shall be merciful, for you have taught me all I need to know. Rest easy, and know your sacrifice was not in vain."

A single shot rang out through the night, and then all was quiet as the rain began to wash away the sin from the slaughter...

Beginnings

Welcome to a new brand of game, that truly has no name! I'll be your host, YLC, as I report to you the tragedy that has since unfolded these past few nights, a tale of power, corruption, money, and the men and women entangled in the recent corporate struggle. We will give you indepth news on the scandal, along with live action reports, and interviews with those involved.

Now, understanding that the nature of this program, and that which will be reported, we ask that you follow these guidelines -

The game will be played out in mafiaesque Chapters, a combination of mafia's day and night phases.

Each Chapter will be 48 hours long - it is up to you during this time to accomplish any objectives you need to, and you post as much or as little as you want in the main thread. If you wish to hire Mercenaries, you must send the Host, which is myself, What each party agrees to do, and for what they will do it for. This is called a Contract, and without a Contract, any actions a player would do are invalid (Except as noted under role rules) - mostly because I need to keep track of it.

A Contract is valid if all parties agree with it, and it is CCed to each person involved in the Contract.

The games objectives are as follows -

If you are an Executive
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    When a player receives an Executive Role PM, they may send a PM stating their business name to the host. If not, the host will select one for them.

Each Executive role starts with 100K, in their Bank Account and the ability to earn 10% each turn from their Bank Account. They also start with 3 Assets, each that generate 5k apiece. All assets earn the same amount, unless Invested in. Each Asset has an Asset Type - if an Executive controls greater then 50% of all of an Asset Type, he has a Monopoly, and gains +10% to how much he earns from his Bank Account, in addition to the 10% he already earns.

An Executive is allowed to ask the the GM to post a "want add" during the day, or night write up. Want adds are completely anonymous, and the Executive may say whatever he wishes to, with a limit of 25 words.

For the purposes of resolving "Seize" actions, a Executives Bank Account can be stolen from. However, only 10% will be stolen for each participating Mercenary if the action is successful, and a maximum of 50% for cooperative actions.

An Asset earns 5k, but for every 10k a Executive invests in it, the asset generates 5k more. An Asset can be invested in up to 4 times.

All Executives will receive a Mercenary Role Cover PM. An Executive can participate in a Mercenary action, but he does not enhance a Mercenary groups chance of success. However, an Executives role does grow in both level and in ability just like a normal mercenaries, and when factoring an action resolution upon them, their abilities will count.

All Executives primary goal is to be the last Executive standing, by killing of the other executives, or be the first to accumulate $1,000,000. Executives also have personal goals, which will be described in their PM.

If you are a Mercenary
    When a player receives a Mercenary Role PM, they must send the host back their "Callsign". A Callsign must be composed of one or more of the following - weapons, equipment, nationality, and any specific titles they wish to give themselves. A Callsign will be reflected in any write up they are involved in.

All Mercenaries have the following abilities, and each ability has a minimum payment. Actions can be done without a contract, but the Mercenary gains neither pay nor experience for doing so -

Sabotage: Can Roleblock a Mercenary or Asset - 2K minimum
    Guard: Can Protect an Executive, Mercenary or Asset - 5k minimum
    Assassinate: Can Kill an Executive or Mercenary - 5k minimum
    Seize: Can steal an Asset or from a Bank Account - 3k minimum
    Inquiry: Can Investigate an Executive or Mercenary - 1k minimum
    Conceal: Can Protect an Executive or Mercenary from Investigation -2k minimum

Sabotage functions just like a standard roleblock. Roleblocking a Mercenary prevents their participation in an action, while roleblocking an Asset prevents the owner from gaining money from it, and the Asset loses an investment level.

Guard protects any target from Sabotage, Assassinate, and Seize actions. When a Mercenary is specifically targeted, factor in his own Guard skill to determine success.

Assassinate allows the attempted killing of either a Mercenary of Executive. Any Executive who is assassinated has all Assets turn neutral (Assets are now known but must be taken with "Seize" actions) and his Bank Account is locked.

Seize allows the attempted taking of Assets or Bank Account money. An Asset must be targeted - you may not simply target a person to seize an asset - and the same applies to Bank Accounts. If seizing a Bank Account, only 10% can be taken per participating Mercenary, 50% max for a cooperative effort.

Inquiry allows one to investigate an Executive or Mercenary. The first inquiry will only reveal role, but a second inquiry will reveal bank account, assets and number if the target is an Executive, and will reveal level, best skill, and PMC affiliation if Mercenary. A third inquiry reveals last turns dealings as well as personal goals.

Conceal protects from Inquiry's. An overly successful conceal will also reveal who is inquiring.

All Mercenaries start at Level 1 and progress in level based upon number of successful actions.

Level 1: Starting Level
    Level 2: 1 successful action, +.5 to abilities
    Level 3: 2 successful actions, +1 to abilities
    Level 4: 4 successful actions, +1 to abilities
    Level 5: 6 successful actions, +1 to abilities

Every Mercenary may buy "Training" for each ability up to 3 times. Each time they do so, it adds +1 to that specific ability. Training has the following costs -

Sabotage Training: 4k, 6k, 9k
    Guard Training: 12k, 18k, 27k
    Assassinate Training: 10k, 15k, 22k
    Seize Training: 6k, 9k, 13k
    Inquiry Training: 2k, 3k, 5k
    Conceal Training: 4k, 6k, 9k

Mercenaries can win through accumulating the most amount of money by the end of the game. Every Mercenary also has personal goals, which will be described in their role PM.

Action Resolutions
    Any uncontested actions are instantly resolved as successes. Actions that are contested, are resolved based upon the total skill level of those involved, and those with higher total skill level are deemed the victors, and their action is a success. However, in the event of a tie, those involved will then compare their RPS throw, which must be sent in with any action. Actions without an RPS throw will be ignored. Their RPS throw must consist of a first and second throw, in case of a further tie. Players are then paired off against each other based upon closeness of skill, starting from highest to lowest, and those that win their throw will be calculated into the final total, to determine the victor.

Due to this, it is possible for partial victory - you do not gain anything but half a success however for partial victories. A partial victory is achieved by winning your own throw, but losing the action, or by tieing completely, in which case both sides have partial success.

Example: Mercenaries A, Z and E will assassinate Executive B - Merc A has 3 skill for Assassinate and Z has 5, while E has 2. However, B, C and Y are protecting Executive B, and their skill is 2, 7 and 1 respectively. They tie, and must now be paired off to determine who has won or lost. Z and C square off, and C wins. However, A and B compare and B loses, while Y loses to E. However, Executive B is protected, because C's 7 skill tops the 5 skill A and E have combined.

PMC

Minimum 3 people, no maximum limit. Host must be PMed the following - the formation of the PMC and the choosing of it's Captain, PMC name, and those currently in the PMC. You may submit anything else you wish to about your PMC, such as equipment and methods, and I will try to incorporate that into the write-ups.

PMC's gain 1000 x total level of all involved in PMC. Thus, 5 Level 5 members equals 25, or 25000 that the Captain can give out. He is not obligated to give any specific amount to anyone within the PMC and can keep the PMC's base earnings all to himself.

Captain - Appointed leader of a PMC. A Captain acts as a voice to his other PMC members, and provides money to the other PMC members. If a Captain is involved in an action where he among the group holds the highest level, then he adds a +.5 bonus to those working with him.

Contracts

Contracts can be formed between any two consenting parties. If the contract involves and action taken by mercenaries, I only need the mercenaries to CC it between each other - I do not require the Executive to CC it with any but the original signers.

This may need better wording - anyone willing to better clarify this rule would be most helpful

Other roles are present in the game, each having a corresponding cover PM, and their own separate goals.

You are allowed to role reveal either in private or public, and their is no restrictions on chatlogs or screenshots. You are infact encouraged to be as creative as possible in whichever endeavor you may undertake.

Remember to have fun while your at it too.

I am looking for 20 players, with a serious intent to play and give feedback about the mechanics of the game, so when it comes time for the full game it can be the best it can be. Players that play this game will also receive their own banner, crafted specifically for them.

Player Sign Ups (20/20)
    Askthepizzaguy
    johnhughthom
    Double A
    Beskar
    Niklas
    Splitpersonality
    Romanic
    Seon
    Psychonaut
    Renata
    TheFlax
    atheotes
    Crazed Rabbit
    Cultured Drizzt Fan
    Chaotix
    Death is Yonder
    Centurion1
    Yaseikhaan
    DiamondEye
    Secura
    Last edited by ULC; 06-07-2010 at 13:39.

Default Re: Blood Money and Power: Beginnings

Just a notice, this is sign-ups only - I wanted to make sure everything was prepared ahead of time, so when the game is supposed to start, it will be ready as soon as the moderators say "Go", with no delays.

Game begins in 15 days.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

I would like to see this one in action
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Yes please.

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I miss this I die.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Count me in.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Wouldn't miss it for the world.

In for teh betaz!
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

I spy the evil peoples Senior Member Romanic's Avatar

Interesting!

Blog Entries

Oh yes, very.

Oh and people, if you have nothing else to do, could you join the NotW game in CFC? We need players, like, desperately.

Edit: In case you are wondering, this is my innage.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

In.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

This Space For Rent Member Renata's Avatar

The Search for Beefy Member TheFlax's Avatar

In as promised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    TheFlax needs to die on principle. No townie should even be that scummy.

Blog Entries

You should make it so corperations have to do corperate logo's/tags. So for example, I set up "Steel" company, I would have to make a tag/logo which would be used in advertisements, etc. Gives a nice atmosphere to the game.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

If your up to it Beskar, that would be great - I otherwise have zero skill with photoshop manipulation.

Blog Entries

Hah, I am pretty bad at creating things from stratch. I mainly use pictures from google and work them into my images. I could assist anyone if they needed it (perhaps through you, for obvious reasons) if they are simple enough requests.

sign me up

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks neat.

I'm in.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

Seems like a good a place to get back into the games , In
    Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

In.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

I need 5 more people, and I can start the game.

Epitome of Ephemeral Success Member Death is yonder's Avatar
    A perpetual tropical island by the equator

In, since you need people

But please be warned, I will be completely devoid of internet access from the 21st of June to the 23rd of June (out of country). If you deem this to be an issue considering you want 20 very active people, then I won't mind being a replacement.

You cannot add days to life but you can add life to days.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

When this moves to the gameroom proper, then you will find more players.

I'd recommend a move asap.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Yes, it's easy to forget about this place when you don't have your own game planned.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

in for drizzity

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Count me in.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Knight of Flowers Member Diamondeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay okay I'll join! Can't let an experimental game go unnoticed, can I?
    If God is great, and if God is good, why can't he change the hearts of men?"
    -Tom Waits, "The Road to Peace"

Can I get 1 more please?

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

I just want to say after reading the rules and background for this game you would have to be a little slow to not want to play.

Its a flipping boss idea

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Signing up as requested.

"Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast