Thread: \+ Helvetii+/ [On the Possession of Land] A Non-Factional AAR

Loving being a Member Ghaust the Moor's Avatar

Default \+ Helvetii+/ [On the Possession of Land] A Non-Factional AAR

Hello everyone. Finally I have returned and this time with a new AAR. This time it is based around the not so famous Helvetii tribe. I foumd myself not wanting to be any normal faction so using codes and modding, I have given you....the Helvetii. This AAR will mostly fixcate around europe. Chances are it will only ecompass western europe and the Alps. I want this to still be midly plausible and not WORLD DOMINATION by some puny little tribe in history. I hope you all enjoy this cause I sure will be. Next post in like a few second will be chapter one
    For future reference: I'm going to use this page for a Table of contents once this is bigger the one post.

Default Re: \+ Helvetii+/ [On the Possession of Land] A Non-Factional AAR

For years we have lived among these mountains. Like them we are strong. We can not be moved like a house or a cart. No, we stand with fortitude like these peaks that surround our life. These heights protect us. Enemies cannot reach us. Only to us do these mountains speak. They tell us everything. These hills have eyes, and they will not betray us. We crush those upstarts who think such. We are the mountain and they are us. Us….the Helvetii

Chapter 1: The Story Begins
    Part 1: A Rhaetian Emissary

Narrator: Badicandos Moc Vertiscos

For as long as I can remember, we have lived here. Indeed, I am certain we always shall. No force of nature of man can force us to leave our birthright. I know my father would have said the same. We love this land. It has offered us all it has to give and for that we are thankful; Food, shelter, protection from invasion. These peaks and valleys are our home.
    Since the time of my grandfather, we have been masters of these mountains. The mighty Aedui tried to claim us and we beat them off. We see now how that has fared. They exist not anymore. Such is the price of arrogance. Even the Arverni have tried to enslave us to their farcical ideas of freedom. No. Only a Helvetii with land to his name can truly know freedom.
    Alas, times have changed. With the death of my father, we are swiftly losing money. My father felt that war created income and he is true in that aspect. When the Helvetii defended its borders, we had money flowing in torrents into our coffers.

Alas, once the buffer of the Aedui had been destroyed by the behemoth of the Arverni there was nothing stopping them from all out assault on our treasured lands. So far, my father and I had only faced weak scouting forces or punitive expeditions sent to wrangle the “Backwards” Helvetii to the Arverni’s Confederacy. Led by poorly trained generals, my father and I made short work of any forces sent against us. The men of Aventicos are as strong as any Arverni noble or warrior. We, the Helvetii don’t give in easily to defeat. But sadly, the Arverni were too strong once they no longer had to exhaust efforts to crush the Aedui. I had Vortigen, my chief diplomat, open up a ceasefire talk with the Arverni. Luckily the Arverni’s attentions was turned southward and were more then willing to bother themselves with subjugating the tribes of the Po valley. Thankfully we also have arranged for the Romans to aid us in the conflict in the case that the Arverni attack….for a price…

…Which brings me to the matter at hand. Come let me tell you what has occurred in the past days….

“Lord?” The messenger stated in an almost inquiring tone. Small sweat beads dappled on his forehead revealed his true tiredness, despite the attempts to sound regal.
    “Messenger?” I, King Badicandos Moc Vertiscos, inquired of the tired man who had just stomped into my chambers. I rose from my chair at my desk and set aside my financial reports to give the obviously flustered man my attention.
    “An emissary has arrived, sir. He wishes to speak with you immediately,” He breathed as he hung himself down until his hands rested on his knees.
    “An emissary? From where” I asked confusedly as I grabbed my ceremony sword and helm and prepared to join him in the visiting chambers.
    “From Rhaetia, Lord Badicandos”…

That upstart from Rhaetia dare insult me thus! To think the Helvetii would pay tribute to such….Lesser people. No. I denied him on the spot. I spoke with a rage felt often only on the battlefield. This man, claiming to hold an order from the lord of Rhaetia himself, Lord Catavignos, Ordered, if such a thing may be called such, that the Helvetii tribes pay tribute to the Rhaetians in favor that they stay their hand and not attack. To think that such a noble ally would stop to that level. I had once considered Catavignos one of my friends.
    But sadly he was right. A Rhaetic army was gathered at the border and was prepared to assault Aventicos. After butchering the emissary and sending his head back to Rhaetia, I began to prepare the army for war. Within weeks the Rhaetian army would have been knocking on the gates of Aventicos. I knew the odds of my forces holding the city were slim but I was confident in their abilities to crush the enemy.

However, the gods must have seen our plight and heard our prayers for the Arverni had sent a large sizable force into the neighboring kingdom. Consequently this army’s path led them straight in the jaws of the massive Rhaetian army. Gladly for the Helvetii that day, the Arverni force was equally strong and the battle that ensued annihilated the Rhaetian army. Taking eye of the situation, I ordered the army in Aventicos to march with haste to Rhaetia and to conquer these upstarts that felt they could bully the Helvetii into submission.

Leaving a trusted captain in charge of the city on my leave, Barrivendos Moc Custennyn,

I set off with the army towards Veldideno to crush the Rhaetians. I would make an example of this king to those who felt themselves better then the Helvetii

Next Time: The Battle of Veldideno
    Last edited by Ghaust the Moor; 05-26-2010 at 01:32.

I always love acting out the role of mini-factions in EB. Interesting start!
    Ruskie magazin!

Cool ^^ Go Helveti, GO
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Very good start.

Influence:

Very good!
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

I'm going to follow this one :)
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Thanks for all the replys. Next section to appear tonight.

Hah... Nice... I still hope Helveti will be in EB II... But this looks great to:)
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Chapter 1: A story begins
    Part 2: The Battle of Veldideno

Narrator: Wotecorix Moc Mallacos

First before I tell you the tale of the first true action taken by the new Kingdom of the Helvetii, I feel it is necessary to tell you first just who I am. I am Wotecorix Mallacos, a warrior in the Helvetian army. My warband fights in the manner most normal of the noble of Helvetii. Indeed, I am no common man. My family has been on of great import and influence and we are counted as being among the great families of the Helvetii. I serve in one of the most prestigious brotherhoods ever in existence for our people. We call ourselves “We who march.” This brotherhood has existed for hundreds of years and not one battle has occurred without our attendance. With the traditional “Mori Gaesum” we have defended our land and honor. With my coming of age, I have finally joined to take part in the legacy that my family has served.
    My first action of battle was to be this great event in my nation’s history. At the young age of sixteen, I was given my spear and armor by my grandfather and joined my father in the “We who march.” With the excitement of a young man, I cheered when we were informed of the Kings order to prepare for war. At the time I did not understand the full extant of this undertaking but I was young and I did not realize that most of the older warrior, my father among them, did not appear to be relishing the idea of killing in the name of this new king.
    Finally, the king gave out a new order that we were to gather with him at the gates of the city and march on Veldideno. With tears in her eye, my father and I said our goodbyes and left to meet with the Brotherhood and leave for the gates. Once we gathered with the king and our Brotherhoods, the Helvetian army left for the land of the Rhaetians…

For months we traveled and for even more months we sat out side the gates of the Rhaetian Capital. Gradually, I began to notice my brothers’ attitude change. The other Brotherhoods of Mori Gaesum grew increasingly restless and fiery-tempered. The Swordsmen too changed their personality: they increasingly grew violent and crazy, obviously relishing in the fact battle was close. However, I noticed only about my own Brotherhood that they grew more and more somber. With the battle days away, few even spoke outside of muttered greetings and grunts.
    My father had tried to explain it once but I was young then and ignored his wisdom. I have yet to fully understand it on my own.

Finally the day came we were to assault the city. Our spies had revealed to the king that only two military brotherhoods still existed inside the city, with the others having been annihilated by the Arverni. The kings own personal guard, cavalry, was supported by a unit of weak but fast Leuce Epos. The king called a grand order and ordered every Brotherhood into attendance. We came and arraigned ourselves in a circle around the edge of the city with our siege engines waiting at the bottom of the hill.

“My soldiers” the king began, “You have been called here today to right a wrong forced by these insolent fools to you. The Rhaetians felt the need to insult the Helvetii by demanding underserved payment and tried to bully you to bow to their petty demands…no…we shall not give in to their demands….I have brought you here for this. We are to crush the Rhaetians and force them to bow to our will as they had so wrongly thought to try on us. Nay, this punitive action is here for exactly what they had sought to prevent. They had hoped to crush us if we denied their demands but now they shall be shown the error of their foolhardy ways…YOU SHALL SHOW THEM!!!!” the king bellowed as he concluded his speech. Finally after the din of roaring soldiers died around the silent “We who march” the king concluded with the true meaning of our assembly.
    “Now….being as this is but a punitive action, I do not wish to commit my entire forces and risk losing them to some foolhardy error. No. I now humbly ask as your king to draw your lot from this helm and to undertake the assault on the town.” A slight ripple of voices weaved it way through the men before my Brotherhoods reprehensive stepped forwards and drew his lot…a small coin. This action repeated in kind until all Brotherhoods possessed a coin of some kind. The king finally held up his royal coin and showed that possessors of the small coin with the symbol of the roots of a tree embossed into it were those who were to proceed in the assault.

A roar of excitement erupted from the Swordsman Brotherhood as they reveled in the excitement of the battle to come. Quietly the commander of my brothers turned and ordered us to move out. Turning in synchronized unison we pivoted and marched down the slope towards the battering rams.

But with an unexpected flourish, the king spoke again with a vigor unfit for his slight frame: “The man kills this king and brings me his sword, shall have land of his choosing” Groans from the men not assaulting and cheers from those who were, were his responses.
    I have never pushed anything so heavy. The large wooden and iron construction rumbled and creaked as me and my five companions rolled the large object towards the left section of the deployment wall. With groans and huff, we pushed the object slowly towards our destination.

After several minutes of agonizing pain, we finally reached the wall and began operating the large pendulum type machine. A single large crash rang out as our ram head smashed into the wall of the settlement. Another sound swiftly echoed that of our own as we heard the Alpine Swordsmen make contact with their section of the wall.

After repeated smashing, the walls began to buckle and groan. Finally with a final loud smash, the wood toppled backward and splintered as it smashed into the ground.

Glancing over at my father, I heard the first sign of any excitement in any of ‘We Who March” in months. With a bellowed yell, “We who march” charged into the breach.

Quickly dispatching the few citizens who felt the urge to die, we ran our way up to the base of the hill that overlooked the town from the kings hold. Along the way, we met with the other brotherhood and began planning our assault on the king himself. Taking leadership, Captain Cadeyrn ordered the Swordsman Brotherhood to walk up the right side of the hill and draw the fire from the javelins of the Leuce Epos while the Mori Gaesum got in position to strike.

Cadeyrn’s plan worked perfectly and before long, screams from the other side of the houses signaled “We who march” that they were free to begin engaging the enemy.

With a roar of rage in my throat, I charged with my father up the hill and into the rear/flank of the Kings Bodyguard cavalry.

After a few minutes of untiring work, the two brotherhoods quickly butchered the horsemen until only the king remained who fled to the mild high point of his plaza. Leaving the Swordsmen to tend to their injured, “We who march” charged towards the king and began mockingly harrying him with our spear points.

The king fought well and slaughtered several of my brothers who got too brash and attempted to kill him. Finally realizing we needed to halt the deaths, I heard my father yell across the din to me.
    “Wotecorix! Now!”
    With all the strength I had in my body I thrust my spear into the rear left quarter of the horse. With this action the horse bucked and threw the king from his mount. With a scream of sheer terror the king flew from his horse and landed on his neck. A sickening crack signaled his actual demise.

With Catavignos dead, our lord marched into the city and staked his new leadership of its conquered people. Here I presented the sword to my father to give to the king as I was not the man of my family and can thus not own land. My father was smart, as he choose a small plot of land just south of Aventicos, in the uplands of the mountains. He spoke to me on the manner and told me of his intentions to give me the lands as soon as I was a full adult.

With this first act of true leadership, our king finally proved himself as a worthy leader to Helvetii men. He finally established a true empire gain for the tribe, a thing undone for many years. From, now things only got better. The Helvetii will not stop until we have created an empire worthy of our name and people. For then we will truly be the “Possessors of much land”

Aww, for a second there I thought you'd included infantry bodyguards :). I suppose your campaign looks hard enough. Looks fun.

.........I hate my life...... I'm afraid i'm gonna have to end this prematurely ,as seems to happen with all of my AARs. I ,quite foolishly, relied on the autosave to save my game and sadly allowed to pass my game to the point of no return. I had hoped that the Arverni would honor thier peace treaty but sadly they didnt. I within two turns after hte end of my last update, I had a large fullstack army out side the gates of Aventicos, the same army that anihilated the Rhaetian army.....Sadly since the autosave was my only save, the neewest autosave was the turn the fullstack arrived as the little menu thingy wouldn't pop up while I repeatedly pressed Esc during the computers turn for me to load the last one... so alas I am choosing to end this now then make several post about my death. It appears I am cursed when concerning AARs as I never seem to finish any of them. I apologize
    Last edited by Ghaust the Moor; 05-30-2010 at 15:08.

If you really want to continue, you could probably manage to survive with just a little bit of cheating. There are a couple things you could try, but I would suggest teleporting the Arverni army away. There is a minor catch to that plan, however. Even if you teleport them far away, they'll still technically be besieging your city, unless something else diverts the enemy army's attention. What I did when I was faced with circumstances like yours back when I was attempting an AAR, is to teleport the enemy army to another region on their borders, either in rebel hands or the hands of enemies of the Arverni. With any luck, the Arverni army will disengage, and attack that city instead. Note that this is only liable to work if the AI thinks it can beat the garrison of the region you moved it to.

In the future I would suggest saving a LOT. Especially if you're doing an AAR. My method was to make two saves per year, and keep an archive going all the way back to the beginning.

Actually, put up some screenshots of the sack of Aventicos and the rebellion of Veldideno, role play the political betrayal with your king being tricked by the evil underhanded Arverni, and I think that WOULD technically be finishing an AAR.

heh
    Last edited by MisterFred; 05-31-2010 at 00:50.

I'll see what I can do. Thats a good idea MisterFred. This way I'll techniclly "Finish" an AAR this time ;)

Zoodling Millipede Member Ariovistus Maximus's Avatar

Hey mate! Sorry for my own absence. Looking good! Hoping to see MOAR.
    OF DESTINY AND DUTY: A GALATIAN AAR
    Preview of the Week:

And then check out my ANCIENT WEAPONS STUDY

My balloons: x 8

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

Wow thatt sucks. In my games i save once every turn, having 2 saves, so it looks like this

June 8th 2010 7:29 Aedui
    June 8th 2010 7:09 Aedui
    Last edited by the man with no name; 06-10-2010 at 03:11.
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii