Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preview: The Romani - (II)

Default Re: Preview: The Romani - (II)

Awesome preview, and the video was just epic with the music. Amazing work in all aspects. After reading all the information (i appreciate making it easy to read) i got some questions thought.

-If i read correclty, the accensi will no longer be a unit, based about what i read on the preview about the only source of them in battle having them as not being combatants. But what about the rorarii, will they also be removed? It seems like it is not very clear what their purpose was on the roman manipular formation, and with all the existing units i think the formation is quite well represented with no need to add more units to it. I don´t think they fulfilled a particularly important role on the formation anyway, otherwise there might have been more sources speaking about them.

-I´ve never read the word "sabellians" to refer to the italian tribes like samnites, campanians, etc. but i appreciate the explanation, you learn something new everyday. I wonder if there will be other units representing specific tribes (for example say campanian cavalry), or if the sabellians units are meant to represent these italian allies/enemies of rome in a general way. So basically what i am asking is if these sabellian units will be restricted to the romans, or if these may appear as mercenaries for other factions. And if the units available in the area will follow this general terminology "sabelli" or there may be some specific units like the campanian cavalry i mentioned before.

-Lastly, i don´t think this have much to do with this preview, but more with the romans as showed in EBI (and probably in EBI as well). If i remember correctly, both the hastati and principes were armed with pilum, scutum, sword and spear. I understand the limitations of the engine, and that no unit can have more than 2 weapons (pilum + sword or pilum + spear). What i wonder is why the principes use thrusting spears, while the hastati use swords. I can see the reasoning behind the triarii using mainly their spears, as they fight in a hoplite formation after all, but if i understand correctly (and please correct me if i am wrong) back in antiquity swords were much rarer and expensive to come by than spears, so i imagined that the richer principes would be equiped with swords. IIRC this was the case in EBI as well, and with the Polybian reforms the principes changed their weaponry to swords. I would appreciate any insight of what made you choose which weapon to give these units.

Thanks in advance, and also thanks for taking the time to make this preview.

Mmm, that's good preview!

Frankly I don't know how to thank you. If only forum balloons were real and made of money.
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Just...wow...I can't wait to conquer the world...again! -M
    My Balloons:

Always on the move - to be still is to be dead

It seems the Gallic naked dudes have finally found their match: the half naked (bellow the waist) Sabelli dudes!

Instead of saying again how awesome your work is, I'll tell you that a while ago I was in a cafe with my girlfriend and I suddenly realised that I had been explaining to her for a quarter of an hour or so, the reasoning behind the introduction of thureophoroi and thorakitai in the hellenistic armies. Yeah, your work is THAT awesome.
    Πόλεμος πάντων μέν πατήρ εστι, πάντων δέ βασιλεύς
    καί τούς μέν θεούς έδειξε, τούς δέ ανθρώπους
    τούς μέν δούλους εποίησε, τούς δέ ελευθέρους.

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Wrath View Post
    It seems the Gallic naked dudes have finally found their match: the half naked (bellow the waist) Sabelli dudes!

Instead of saying again how awesome your work is, I'll tell you that a while ago I was in a cafe with my girlfriend and I suddenly realised that I had been explaining to her for a quarter of an hour or so, the reasoning behind the introduction of thureophoroi and thorakitai in the hellenistic armies. Yeah, your work is THAT awesome.
    You're kidding, right? You should be reasoning the introduction of other things, but oh well...

At least an old saying is true. Play EB: It gets you laid.

Always on the move - to be still is to be dead

Quote Originally Posted by -Praetor- View Post
    You're kidding, right? You should be reasoning the introduction of other things, but oh well...

At least an old saying is true. Play EB: It gets you laid.
    The poor girl has suffered a lot of my rumblings...
    It's not a secret any more that we EBers are like the gynaikonomoi of old
    Πόλεμος πάντων μέν πατήρ εστι, πάντων δέ βασιλεύς
    καί τούς μέν θεούς έδειξε, τούς δέ ανθρώπους
    τούς μέν δούλους εποίησε, τούς δέ ελευθέρους.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucefalo View Post
    -I´ve never read the word "sabellians" to refer to the italian tribes like samnites, campanians, etc. but i appreciate the explanation, you learn something new everyday.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabellians

What i wonder is why the principes use thrusting spears, while the hastati use swords.
    I can't answer you fully on this but I recall there being a mention by Plutarch of the Hastati using swords against Pyrrhos's troops.
    Last edited by bobbin; 06-09-2010 at 02:22.

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

This is quite possibly the best preview yet. The EB Team never ceases to astound me. Really, my jaw dropped when I saw the hastati and the Romani intro video.

I have just one suggestion/question: would it not make more sense for the text to read "For it is not permitted for the Romani people, whom the gods wanted to rule over all peoples, to be in servitude"? As it is, it's a little confusing. Just a minor detail, nothing more.

Can we look forward to intro videos for all of the factions?
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

If i read correclty, the accensi will no longer be a unit, ... But what about the rorarii, will they also be removed?
    You're correct about the accensi. We believe that we have a suitable interpretation of the Rorarii, so they will appear eventually. We just felt that they weren't necessary for our initial release.
    I wonder if there will be other units representing specific tribes ... or if the sabellians units are meant to represent these italian allies/enemies of rome in a general way. So basically what i am asking is if these sabellian units will be restricted to the romans, or if these may appear as mercenaries for other factions.
    We will have at least one more Sabellian unit, and one or two "tribal" units. In addition, we'll have a couple more Italian units. All Sabellian units will be available as mercenaries, and while we haven't finished our recruitment system, I would like them to be available for normal recruitment to any faction controlling one of the relevant provinces.

What i wonder is why the principes use thrusting spears, while the hastati use swords. I can see the reasoning behind the triarii using mainly their spears, as they fight in a hoplite formation after all, but if i understand correctly (and please correct me if i am wrong) back in antiquity swords were much rarer and expensive to come by than spears, so i imagined that the richer principes would be equiped with swords.
    The principes do have swords, but because they also have pila, they can't use them. At least for the Romans, swords do not seem to have been very rare, though perhaps many were of questionable quality. Even under the earlier Servian census system (Dion. Hal. 4.16) all soldiers of the 1st through 4th classes were required to arm themselves with spear and sword. This in spite of the fact that the 4th class (roughly the equivalent of the rorarii) had no body armor or helmet. And of course every single soldier in the later Polybian army had one.
    Last edited by Atilius; 06-11-2010 at 00:39.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Frontline1944 View Post
    would it not make more sense for the text to read "For it is not permitted for the Romani people, whom the gods wanted to rule over all peoples, to be in servitude"?
    This is just the translation of a passage from Cicero's Philippicae (6.19): "populum Romanum servire fas non est, quem di immortales omnibus gentibus imperare voluerunt." I don't have the name of the translator to hand.
    Last edited by Atilius; 06-09-2010 at 03:23.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paltmull View Post
    I'll give you my standard reply to these previews:

simply awesome
    same as this guy.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Amazing!
    I love those sabelli, but barefoot on the battlefield seems painful...
    Very interesting the new government system ^^
    BTW the triplex acies in the video is awesome, too bad the celts are getting pwned XD
    Last edited by Arjos; 06-09-2010 at 08:11.

An great preview! The Camillan army looks great, always liked it more in EBI then the Polybian army. Especially the Triarii look great! Nice to read that Rorarrii isn't out.

Video looked impressive. Great when you see the manipular formation taking shape in the beginning. Does this mean though that each faction will have an intro?

Counter-Revolutionary Member BerkeleyBoi's Avatar

Wow... that was awesome...

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Awesome
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Another winter
    Has suddenly now ended
    The sun brightening

Too good to be true. I can´t wait to see more.

It was a great preview for a great faction, and the video gorgeous, the music made my blood boil in my veins.

Cheers.

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

Excellent as always!!!! :D

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Great Preview Guys!

I have an idea for the video. When you start the text on the video. Why not have the '100 years ago' in latin that then turns into English? That would be a ++ nice touch in my book :)
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Ante centum annos Galli Romam deluerunt.....

Heh...Does someone know how can I use the new avatars?
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

This....is....awesome!

Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Excellent work as always guys. I shared the preview on my Face' for the fellow classics students to truly read something on classics.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 06-11-2010 at 23:35. Reason: emoticon
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post
    Excellent work as always guys. I shared the preview on my Face' for the fellow classics students to truly read something on classics.
    As did I - although I just posted a link to the video. Thank god for the EB team - I don't know what I'd do to get my classical warfare fix without them. -M
    My Balloons:

Wow, I'm in love with the Sabelli units. It's great to see Italy getting a more varied regional roster, too.

Btw, I'm posting this long after I had a freak-out over my first view of the preview lol.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post
    Yeah, I sent this preview to someone who was researching Roman society.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Awesome preview! Can't wait for the release!

Awesome preview. Really like the new setup for admin of provinces. Looks like it will be great for in depth Role Playing.

One question are the EB2 Hastati sabelli replacing the EB1 Hastati Samnitici & Pezoi Brettioi? Or will these units also be around? I got to say I always liked the shield design for the Hastati Samnitici

Keep up the good work. I've got my fingers crossed for some type of Christmas Present Release.

1.0 completed:
    -Baktria

Another wonderful job. Thanks alot,

Andy
    from plutoboyz

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Edward View Post
    ... are the EB2 Hastati sabelli replacing the EB1 Hastati Samnitici & Pezoi Brettioi?
    The Hastati Sabelli are the Hastati Samnitici. The unit has just been renamed to indicate that this type of warrior was found all over central and southern Italy, not just in Samnium. The Pezoi Brettioi will be replaced by another Sabellian unit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast