Thread: Starcraft 2 has me at Beta

Default Starcraft 2 has me at Beta

Link for the above picture if it doesn't show up - https://img251.imageshack.us/i/screenshotse.jpg/

I haven't played any of the online beta (ended today, and you needed a special invite to play), but I've been playing this "special" version of beta vs computers (PM me if you want information on how to obtain such a version "free").

I freaking love this game and it currently lacks: multiplayer, a campaign, or any maps bigger than 2v2. It's basically everything great about the first starcraft, combined with awesome graphics and new units.

My favorite race is Terran so far since they are the middle of the road with technology and numbers. Their armored infantry is hard to beat.

Anyone else play?

Edit:

Two favorite units

Marauder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvgHwRjXyCU

Thor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gb5uvwsRpI
    Last edited by Ice; 06-08-2010 at 07:25.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re: Starcraft 2 has me at Beta

Hum, I kind of don't understand what you mean. Is it a hacked version? If so, you might want to delete this topic.

In any case, even though a beta round ended yesterday, I'm not sure the NDA is lifted yet (as another round of test is planned). So even though I've played it, I'll refrain from posting about it, for now :D

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    Hum, I kind of don't understand what you mean. Is it a hacked version? If so, you might want to delete this topic.
    You won't find the word hacked, or anything of the equivalent in this thread.

In any case, even though a beta round ended yesterday, I'm not sure the NDA is lifted yet (as another round of test is planned). So even though I've played it, I'll refrain from posting about it, for now :D
    Why will you refrain from posting?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was an closed beta, but no NDA, wasn't it?

I got an invite to it, but I gave it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was given one, but I wasn't keen on the online play. I especially hated all the anti-rush forced on some of the maps, it really removed the ability of me to play zerg.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    You won't find the word hacked, or anything of the equivalent in this thread.

Why will you refrain from posting?
    Because I'm not sure what I can say or not according to the NDA, and because the Org admins are usually quite touchy about this kind of stuff. Anyway, there's not much to say : it's SC with better graphisms and new units. Nothing mind-blowing, even though the game is pretty good.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I played some games on multiplayer as Protoss. It was a good game, but I just I guess didn't really feel too much into it. I think that probably has to deal with the fact that the custom map people haven't come out and worked their magic yet.

What I learned from the beta? Void Rays are just ridiculous.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

More or less the same critiques when W3 was beta as well.

That means something to love has yet to come.

Blog Entries

Have I mentioned I hated the anti-rush stuff they slapped in the game?

It seems completely unbalanced to play as a zerg, where you effectively have no defense and have to rely on the offense.

You have to surround their base to stop them expanding, but lets say if you are playing against Terrans, they just supply depot wall their base anyway, and they just stick thor's/etc defending, which makes it basically impossible for your attacks to do anything. While you are stunted off, the terran player just turtles the best ships, etc and Zerg have no effective anti-air counters, which means you are forced in having to attempt to mount up on Hydralisk (which are expensive) just to have a fail attempt at defending.

Another thing I noticed, a lot of the maps have ridges. So I am there having to take this long route around, destroying all these boulders, etc, the terrans build up on jetpacks, and just effectively fly into your workers, doing serious damage and running off, constant hit-and-run, while you can't even get anywhere near theirs.

In short, I am not going to play Zerg at release.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Have I mentioned I hated the anti-rush stuff they slapped in the game?

It seems completely unbalanced to play as a zerg, where you effectively have no defense and have to rely on the offense.

You have to surround their base to stop them expanding, but lets say if you are playing against Terrans, they just supply depot wall their base anyway, and they just stick thor's/etc defending, which makes it basically impossible for your attacks to do anything. While you are stunted off, the terran player just turtles the best ships, etc and Zerg have no effective anti-air counters, which means you are forced in having to attempt to mount up on Hydralisk (which are expensive) just to have a fail attempt at defending.

Another thing I noticed, a lot of the maps have ridges. So I am there having to take this long route around, destroying all these boulders, etc, the terrans build up on jetpacks, and just effectively fly into your workers, doing serious damage and running off, constant hit-and-run, while you can't even get anywhere near theirs.

In short, I am not going to play Zerg at release.
    Yeah zerg does seem a bit unbalanced. The units above (marauders/thors) along with stimmed marines with balastic shields usually beats anything the zerg can muster.

@Menedil:

Is there really a NDA? There are public forums, which are open to the general public, where people openly discuss the beta. Along with this, many replays have been posted on youtube. The game is pretty much out in the open.

Blog Entries

I think this video decipts perfectly what occurs.

(excuse that guys horrible voice)

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I kekeke'd. Hard.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Haha I still remember that video. In case anyone wonders it's a joke video.

I had fun in the beta, but multiplayer skirmishes aren't my favorite thing. I'm hoping the campaign is good. If it's as good as Warcraft 3, it should satisfy me.

By the way, there is no NDA for Starcraft 2 beta. They made a post on the forums the first day. If there was an NDA, you wouldn't see any user made SC2 videos on Youtube.
    Last edited by Krauser; 06-13-2010 at 06:38.

There was a NDA for WotLK and you could see videos and screens and infos everywhere :-P Not that I care much, but I know moderators here do, hence why I didn't want to post anything before making sure the NDA is lifted.

After the crapfest that was WC3 I swore off any RTS from Blizzard. Nothing here has swayed me.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    After the crapfest that was WC3 I swore off any RTS from Blizzard. Nothing here has swayed me.
    Warcraft 3 was a great game, especially all the custom scenarios and settings. In no way it falls under the category of "Crapfest".
    Last edited by Beskar; 06-15-2010 at 05:10.

Blizzard fails at RTS design, WC3 proved that to me. It was really horrible, even the comedy voices couldn't save it. I just didn't want to play it ever again. Or anything else that Blizzard coughs up in the RTS genre. They should stick to WOW and Diablo, they are acutally good at those.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

Blog Entries

Actually, that is more your personal minority opinion. Warcraft3 is very well established as a good RTS and its very worthwhile custom scenarios. It is even one of the most played online "old" games, along with others such as Starcraft, which is also from Blizzard.

Only other old school game with good custom scenarios was Age of Empires 2. (also Starwars version simply because the custom scenarios could literially be copied over programming wise.)
    Last edited by Beskar; 06-15-2010 at 17:28.

That retail SW mod for AOE was impossible to find. I still don't have it. But I HATE custom scenarios. My problems with WC3 are nothing to do with that part. The actual gameplay mecahnics were so fracking clunky and stuck in 1997 that it drove me to pawn the game off on my brother.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

I signed up for the beta a few days after they opened but never got an invite.

Havent checked out all the beta stuff since I haven't been overly interested anyway after they toned it down from full Starcraft II to trilogy.

Didn't seem really legit to get the beta versions though if you didnt get a direct invite, they seemed to float around illicit sites really.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)