Thread: Shimazu Running away.

Default Shimazu Running away.

Greetings,
    I started a new campaign with the Shimazu (I'm still very much at the beginning of the learning curve) and this is what happens.
    I advance into the Otomo? province and attack the army as soon as I do my army turns tail and retreats back to my home province! If on the other hand I attack the city the attack goes ahead OK? I've tried several times always with the same result.
    Has any one noticed this problem?

Polibus.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Shimazu Running away.

Two Questions:

What difficulty level are you playing at?

Does the AI move an army into the province where your attacking army moves out of?

Regarding the second...the AI moves after you do and therefore has the advantage of seeing your moves. If the AI deems it cannot defend the province you are attacking with any reasonable chance of success, if it can, it will move units into the province you attacked from, thereby forcing you to pull your units back and defend. If this is the case, you will have to attack from more than one province, or eliminate the army that's invading your province first.

If by city you are referring to a castle (there are no cities in Shogun), then you have already conquered the province and you eliminate the garrison by siege or direct assault. Some screenshots would help, and info on what enemy movements take place after you end your turn.
    High Plains Drifter

Thanks for the reply ReluctantSamurai,

I am playing on Easy.
    I moved my army into Otomo province and saw that an enemy army (Ito) was there already.

Instead of attacking the fort/town I opted to attack the army first. I moved my army into contact and selected 'attack' whereupon my army moved straight back into my own territory.

At no time did enemy units invade my province.

But when I then advanced and attacked the fort/town I captured it with no problem.

I tried restarting the campaign a couple of times but the same thing happened each time.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Instead of attacking the fort/town I opted to attack the army first. I moved my army into contact and selected 'attack' whereupon my army moved straight back into my own territory.
    Did you declare war first? Are they allied to an ally of yours?

Instead of attacking the fort/town
    Are you by chance playing Shogun II? There are no towns in Shogun I. In Shogun I you attack the province, and if the garrison opts to retreat to the castle, you then lay siege to the castle or assault it directly.
    High Plains Drifter

Member thankful for this post: