Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1184

Thread: World of Tanks - Free to play Panzer MMO

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: World of Tanks - Free to play Panzer MMO

Alright, IA, your posts indicate you have goodly experience as a scout tanker.

How the heck do I contribute against tier 8's in my ELC AMX. If I lag a bit behind the battle line and snipe, I can get in a few slow hits, but the opfor controls the pace of things. If I scout forward, I have the life span of a moth near torches and don't seem to do anything aside from a spot six then explode minimal contribution. Artillery dives I have tried a few times, but it has only worked twice. Usually I get shot and killed rapidly with almost unerring fire. Clearly, I am not moving/thinking it out properly.

Has 90mm; all modules at max except next tank; crew is at 95% (only 25 missions from switching up from the amx38); both crew have camo at 85%; equip is camo net, vents, coated optics; usually carry small med, small rep, auto fire.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I have a similar problem with my VK 28.01. The gun is so bad, it cannot even penetrate a Tiger in most cases. And the matchmaking is mostly Tier 7-9. I usually end up trying a mix of frontline scouting and small fire support where possible. That means I may try to scout enemies by sticking my cupola over a hill or, when possible, hiding in a bush without firing (passive scouting). If friendly tanks are engaged and an opportunity arises I may also take shots at enemy tanks to their sides/rear or to track them.

Of course with such little fire power, a lot epends on the performance of the rest of the team, but the VK 28.01 is a mediocre scout at best IMO. The Chaffee or the Type 62 can play a more active role and engage more in active combat, but also mostly just as supporting assets for tanks that can actually take some fire. But such is the life of a light tank, they're not meant to attract fire, although they do if there is no good distraction.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

OK lads I'll give you the benefit of my (extensive) experience.

Scouting is a whole new ball game. Forget everything you've learned in the mediums and heavies. Not all scouts are the same but you can play them in more or less the same way.

OK then, first off camo, camo, camo. Paint the tank, get the camo net, train crew, including commander with camo skill first and foremost. Remember this, if you're seen then you are as good as dead. Never go out into the open. Never. If you move flit from bush to bush.

Equipment: Camo net, binos or optics. It seems obvious doesn't it. Try it without and then with and see the difference. I tend to use octane fuel as well so I can accelerate quickly if I am spotted.

Do not run around like you're in a Grand Priz car, you will die, quickly.

Passive scouting is the name of the game. One spot in Fiery Salient/Prokorovka is a real beauty. Opposite side of the map from the railway where the road is. Right at the edge of the map there are several bushes. Go hide in one and do not move and above all do not shoot. No matter how inviting the target is. I repeat, do not shoot.

When you spot the enemy, press 'T' to light them up. Do this for all the enemies you spot. Let your team take them out. Now this can sometimes lead to a feeling of squeeky bum time but take a deep breath and keep calm. Remember if they could see you , then you would be already dead. Trust in the team to take them out is a huge departure from playing all other types of tanks except arty.

Use gold ammo. You've got a pea shooter instead of a gun so maximise it's effect. This comes into play during the mopping up at the end of the match.

Oh yea one final thing, radio. Get the highest tier radio before anything else. A scout with a poor radio is a liability to the team.

Remember, DO NOT SHOOT.

This has been a public information service.
    Last edited by InsaneApache; 09-16-2014 at 09:46.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

I know the spot you mean, sometimes the buggers even shoot from there without being seen.
    I do however think that playing e.g. a Tpe 62 and a Leopard is not that different, the Type is just w hole lot weaker in HP and of course the gun. And the Type 62 cannot run from a Type 59 because the latter is faster!

And yeah, passive scouting is fun when it works, if they spot you because the map only has bad cover or your tank is too big (german) it's relatively unrewarding (if that's a word) though.

I forgot to say.

When commander is 100% camo next train up sixth sense.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

The ELC is a weird ride.

The speed is dangerous and fun. Because you are so low to the ground, little things like shell holes provide meaningful cover....and a heck of a ramp. You get to where you think you almost COULD clear the aqueduct gap.

The gun is great and loathsome all at once. I can forgive the ROF...after all that commander is busy doing 4 jobs....but the dial in time for the weapon is painful. It encourages you to run up and blast....but that usually gets you one good outgoing blast and one bad incoming.

Gearing up for my first tier 6 -- a hellcat -- which I will put in the field with a 90% crew each with one skill. currently getting trained on t49 and m8a1
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Playing a light tank is tricky. Generally I would say there are three phases:

1. Intercept and destroy their rushers, often these will be your counterparts.
    2. Spot the enemy for your team.
    3. Mop up survivors.

Not all light tanks excel at all three. The VK2801, for example, is good for #1 because it is good at ramming and HEing lighter targets. It isn't so good at #2 because of it's larger size and, when it comes to #3 the nature of HE and HEAT rounds can be slightly unreliable. The ELC on the other hand is rather good at #3 thanks to small size, high speed and good alpha but, thanks to a shoddy radio, not so good at #2.

For #1 remember that you are seeking to destroy the rushers before they light up or destroy your arty. If you can't kill them then all you really need to do is track them under the guns of your heavier comrades.

For #2 remember to use the terrain to cover your movement. Hide behind bushes not in them and don't fire unless you really have to or are sure that you will not be spotted.

For #3 the crucial thing is to survive long enough to reach phase #3! There are now fewer tanks ont hebattlefield and more room to roam unseen. An unspotted scout can be a nightmare for the opposing team and you are far more likely to stay unspotted when there are five tanks on each team than when there are fifteen. Light those targets up so that your surviving team mates can destroy them without taking return fire. Or head on through to kill their arty or any other isolated weakened target. If your team is outnumbered then try playing around in the enemy base - get them to split their forces. There are all sorts of options once you reach this stage.

The trouble WoT has, of course, is that generally medium tanks are better at doing all of these things except the hiding part.

Good luck!
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Yes!

WG has decided to return the XP grind on the Chaffee. Great news.

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.p...n-the-chaffee/

Saw a match today...at tier 6...featuring no less than 5 Chaffees.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Saw a match today...at tier 6...featuring no less than 5 Chaffees.
    Aye there'a bloody loads of them. I researched the T37 but decided to keep the Chaffee for now. The upside is my Chaffee crews have 4 skills and full camo, so those new Chaffee guys just dont know what hit them.

I got the T37 right away, it's a bit like the old Chaffee the way you get it without the upgrades, nice little tank IMO and the two later guns look promising as well. Tried the Chaffee just once but wasn't overwhelmed by the loss of speed when you turn, I couldn't even manage to circle a Churchill because after every turn I almost stood still and he caught up with me. May try it more later.

The new IS-7 is beautiful though and the track behavior changes are very nice to look at as well.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Aye there'a bloody loads of them. I researched the T37 but decided to keep the Chaffee for now. The upside is my Chaffee crews have 4 skills and full camo, so those new Chaffee guys just dont know what hit them.

You are right about the quality of some of them.

I was shooting a chaffee driver from a ways off with my t-67 (was a 49, but it got "shirty" until I gave it a bigger number). Whack! He then keeps looking at my teammate -- still 100% hidden behind the rock he sees in his sights -- Whack! NOW he finally figures someone is going to keep shooting him so he gets behind a rock. Later, following one of his teammates they both stop on the open ramp. My teammate starts trading shots with the new leader while the chaffee sits behind the panzer. Whack! Finally has the bright idea that the tank in front of him cannot be shooting through rock and/or his teammate and starts to swivel to look across the valley. Whack! Once less Chaffee....who is now blocking his teammate's reversing up the ramp to cover. Whack! Damaged panzer checks out too.

Not only did he not use his mobility well, but after ignoring his own mobility -- and the hillside across from him on the East edge of El Halluf -- he discards his mobility after blocking a teammate.

I almost....almost...felt ashamed to be making those last two shots.

Just dropped the 67 in favor of the M-18. So far, I have the second best gun and the original turret, so it is like driving a taller t-67 with a hint better gun.

I can see real potential in that 90mm though, even with a low rof.

have camo, optics, rammer; bought camo; crew camo average is 41%; have recon, sit aware, deadeye in crew. Commander 100%, reset 90%.

Thoughts, advice, etc.? Still in glass cannon mode for now, but that turret looks good. Is the aft of it really 127mm?

Yes it is 127mm. I assume it is some kind of counterweight for the gun. On the other hand the hull armour is 13mm and the turret mostly c.30mm so frankly it is irrelevant!

In all tanks, but sneaky ones especially, Sixth Sense is a priority for the Commander. The good news is that it may eventually become standard issue for all players with 100% crews. The bad news is that it may not and that there is no timescale for the change.

I kept the T67 (nee T49). Both it and the Hellcat are excellent vehicles and worth keeping IMO.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

OK then. I researched all the modules on the T32 and I'm ready to buy it. However the T29 is such a good tank I'm loathed to sell it and disperse the crew.

Is it worth getting the T32 and move my crew over.

Keep the T29 and crew but get the T32 with a new crew.

Keep the T29 and not bother with the T32.

It's decisions like this that could turn a man to drink.

OK then. I researched all the modules on the T32 and I'm ready to buy it. However the T29 is such a good tank I'm loathed to sell it and disperse the crew.

I think the T32 was a nice tank, back when I played it.
    I even kept it in my garage, just to look at it now and then (like many other tanks).
    The T29 is not in my garage anymore and the M103 is one of my overall favourites I think.

I'm not sure how good or bad the T32 is nowadays with all the new tanks, but the turret armor should still be pretty decent, the gun is sufficient and the hull armor is not terrible either.

Skip all the decisions and move straight to the imbibing.

I got some of those in my garage. In fact it looks just like my garage!

I won a TOG II last night! Anyone else managed it?

No, my computer broke in the middle of the thing and I have not come around to repairing it yet.
    Playing on my notebook is not really an option. It's too late and I will never get a TOG II.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Gad this game is retarded... every donkey in Europe is playing and they always end up on your team. I am top player... but we lose. This event sucks
    Status Emeritus

I am not on your server.....or your rating would improve

Husar 

I haz TOG.

We should buddy up mate and go a hunting!

Or I could bring my uber-TOG killer. My KV-2.

Since latest patch and its relegation of the KV-1s to the ranks of "just another decent heavy," I am seeing a significant increase in KV-2s alongside the acquisition of KV-85s. It would seem that nobody wants to discard Russian Heavies as their primary brawler choice -- but that few of the drivers are willing to use anything but 152 or 122 derp-type weapons.

I actually think that this change has made the Kraut heavies a viable choice again. The Tiger series still is too flat-armored compared to the Sovs, but they hit hard and fire more rapidly....though nobody likes the DW2 even after the patch.

I never drove a pre-patch Hellcat -- but I enjoy the ride and it works well for me. I am wondering why so many comments are "dump it, it is trash." I am putting that down to the:

"If it is no longer over-powered in relation to the rest of its category and therefore the only choice for clan combat then it is a useless piece of excrement"

"meta" that you get from some folks.

And yes, IA, if any tank was designed as a TOG killer it was the KV-2. No armor than you cannot either pen or do blast damage through coupled to a target cross section that almost eradicates the chance to miss at anything under 150m.

1000 free gold if you want it.....

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.p...-1k-free-gold/

I got mine.

I am thinking of naming my SU85b "Halonen"

Is the Maus line still trash?
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Dunno havn't been there yet. I heard the Maus got a huge nerf a couple of patches ago, so I never bothered after that. It's still be beast on the battlefield when I come across one though.

I bought my first ever tier 7 today. A t-25/2 td just above hellcat. Stock, it is passable. Faced Tier 8s so far, but no 9s. 3 wins, 2 losses, more kills than matches.

I have heard rumor that 9s are quite scare and they are often minimally upgrades as their drivers are heading towards tier X with plans to sell the IX. Is this common?

Sigurd 

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast