Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Roving Elves: Sepulchre of the Ancients [Concluded]

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Default Re: Roving Elves: Sepulchre of the Ancients

The main crux of my vote is that the game was going to continue to a night phase after Pinman was lynched; if my belief about johnhughthom being mafia was correct, which I believe it is, that would mean that Pinman is actually innocent, which would explain why the game continued as it did.

Consequently, Flaxy should be the only sound choice for a vote. :3
    Last edited by Secura; 07-28-2010 at 18:49.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

The Search for Beefy Member TheFlax's Avatar

Is there even a point to defending myself at this point?

Hmm, yes, my lack of unvote was totally intentional to trap Split! I'm innocent! Please don't kill me! THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    TheFlax needs to die on principle. No townie should even be that scummy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlax View Post
    Is there even a point to defending myself at this point?
    Only a coward acknowledges the existence of all being lost in battle.

I don't think there's any harm, Flaxy. :3
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    Consequently, Flaxy should be the only sound choice for a vote. :3
    Only a coward acknowledges the existence of all being lost in battle.

I don't think there's any harm, Flaxy. :3

This Space For Rent Member Renata's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArpeggiateTHIS View Post
    Ahh, now there's a predicament. Houston we have a problem.

There appears to be a tie between two players. In this nightmare scenario, the only democratic solution is for another vote.

You may vote for either Pinman or TheFlax, but nobody else.

This extension of the Day Phase will last until all possible votes are received.
    Oy, I don't know if that's such a good idea, Arpeg. Whether my assumption that the continuation of the game after Pinman's death meant he was innocent is correct or not, I still do have that assumption and have been mentioning it to others -- it's inevitably going to influence the outcome of this re-vote in a way favorable to him and unfavorable to Flax, and will also greatly alter the gameplay going forward. I strongly feel you should just live with the mistake/Flax's mistake and chalk it up to experience. It's only a game. (Sorry, Pinman.)

Split's vote not counting and Pinman being lynched anyway on what should presumably have been a 2-2 vote -- probably the mafia.

Consider this a policy vote: vote: Pinman.

Yeah, yeah... :P

On consideration, unvote, vote TheFlax.

Mr. THIS, you've been a fine host and the game has been genuinely interesting. On that note, I really think you should do a sequel, which will hopefully go smoother.

Vote: TheFlax for epic failling his scummy vote change.

Call me Arpeg. Member ArpeggiateTHIS's Avatar

Sadly, I guess I've got to call it a day on this one. Commencing a bitter write-up.

[B]The knives were at Pinman's throat. He was both surrounded and outnumbered, yet he refused to admit his fate. As the first flurry of blades came, the unexpected happened: from the darkness, Pinman brandished a Shimmering Shield and deflected the blows. Whirling around, he shunted The Stranger to the ground with the enchanted shield and took flight into the dark Sepulchre corridors. Before the elves could give chase, everybody's attentions were diverted.

TheFlax, who had previously remained in the shadows, stepped forward in difficulty. He was clawing at his throat with his fingers, screaming obscenities. "RESIST.....NO....eurrghhh...NO MORE..." He shouted. It was clear that he was struggling, grappling with something but was losing the fight. A different voice erupted from TheFlax's throat: "Begone, foul intruders! Feel the wrath of the Guardians!". A stark, purple light began to charge from his palms, crackling and swirling in a mystic aura. It was then that the Stranger struck. Removing his hood, Splitpersonality leapt towards the possessed form of TheFlax and forced him to the ground, slicing his throat in the process. The darkness in the Sepulchre had subsided.

A brief search on the bodies of TheFlax and johnhughthom were remarkably revealing. Both bodies showed signs of scratches and were scarred with cryptic runes that were obviously cut with a knife. There was also something more sinister: two Black Vials of power and were found upon TheFlax. Evidently, the last Guardian was preparing to kill tonight.

With the Sepulchre Guardians banished into the Void, the Roving Elves were free to gather what remaining treasures they could find and leave the Sepulchre with vast riches and a story to tell. However, upon gathering back outside the Sepulchre entrance, The Stranger was not to be found. Evidently he had made a swift exit with whatever treasures he had found.

In the harvests between winter, many of the Roving Elves lead a new life, still not particularly honest and law-abiding but definitely more affluent. In the time to come many foolish band members would squander and lose their fortunes. Is that a problem? The Roving Elves could always raid one of the many other sacred grounds around Malmsteena...

Johnhughthom and TheFlax were the Sepulchre Guardians.
    Splitpersonality was the Stranger.

Mega-Ultra-Hyper-OMG-Town Victory! Well Done!

COMMENTS:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    - Well, what a short-lived game! In a way, it's partly my fault due to several unforeseen issues, including the game-ending vote-tie. TheFlax's self vote turned my decision to call it quits, and gave me an awesome idea on what to put in the final write-up!
    - I'm most disappointed that many of the game's mechanics and tricks were never used, especially the role of the Stranger. I thought it would be spectacular to have seen him desert his friends near the final rounds. Split, if you're reading, I can tell you that the Kalina-Staff was actually in the Everlasting Shrine. Perhaps you should have taken influence from the room names, eh? After all, I did put it in the most obvious, aptly-named room in the map!
    - The actions of the mafia, despite being compromised and doomed from the start, could have been used to better advantage. Not even one kill attempt was made due to jailings, lynchings and hesitance despite the fact that they had kill ability from day one. In the end, they had two black vials (two kills) and a binding rope which could have been used to the same effect that Split experienced.
    - I messed up with Split's trap immunity and thus let him have his secret-vote anyway, despite him being in chains. He couldn't vote normally or search though.
    - Want to know what items you could have found? Tough luck, I'm keeping them for if I ever make a sequel (which I probably will).
    - On the topic of items, I thought that they dispensed quite well, especially Black Vials. By the end of the game, I'd dispensed a Shimmering Shield (1-shot kill immunity) and a Protective Scroll (1-shot doctor). I'd also given out a Rope Trap to Split and allowed the mafia to disarm a Rope Trap to use on a townie.

GAME MECHANICS:
    - So I had a 7 player mini with 2 mafia (to try and avoid an early ending). I had to make it one-kill between two, so I invented Black Vials (stolen from Dragon Age revenants :P) to imbue mafia with enough power to kill. I averaged out the probabilities of finding vials during searches to be 50%, so on average there should have been one kill each night. Of course, you ruined it with your jailing and lynching. Pfft.
    - On the topic of items, I gave an overall 25% that a townie (or mafia) would find an item or trap. Items and traps were all one-shot, and they alternated between rooms for variety. If a townie DID find an item, I'd put all available items in that room into a list randomiser and the top item/trap would be received. Thanks, Random.Org!
    - There was also the Stranger's Staff. To make his finding possible, I thought I'd let him have it as soon as he searched the possible room.
    Last edited by ArpeggiateTHIS; 07-28-2010 at 22:27.
    Arpeggio: A broken chord. Arpeggiate: Breaking up a chord. ArpeggiateTHIS, scumbag.

TOWN PM:
    You step off the ladder into the Sepulchre, realising that your band of Roving Elves has completely splintered from civilised society; you are now outlaws. You are amazed to find that chests of all shapes and sizes fill the rooms surrounding your band of Elves, and cannot restrain yourself! “There are fortunes to be gained tonight my friends, but take care, for there lies as many traps in this place as there lies treasures” the stranger announced, quietly hoping that his band of Elves would heed his warning.
    ROLE: You are a thieving lowlife devoid of morals, and you seek unimaginable riches within the Sepulchre. Unfortunately, the Magicks shared by the rich and bourgeoisie were never granted to you, thus you are relatively powerless. Even beyond magic, your lack of wealth renders combat with traditional weapons obsolete – how can a rusty dagger possibly match a swipe from a Run’in sword?

- During the day, you may vote to lynch or imprison a fellow elf.
    - During the day, you may also choose to search one of the Sepulchre’s many rooms. To do this, you must Search: [ROOM NAME]. Within rooms, you may find gold and usable items. Be warned though, as rooms may also contain traps. Search at your peril.

MAFIA PM:
    You separate from the rest of the group in a hurried exploration for some of the fabled relics of the Old Times, but are instantly gripped by an incomprehensible force. A writhing pain tears across your spine and a tortuous power wrenches the very soul from your insides. “N’E...N’E...BEGONE, INTRUDERS!!” Fighting the spirit invading your mind proves useless, and your conscious slowly slips into pitch black...
    Your feeble soul has been cast aside, and your body handed to the Spirits of the Ancients as a vessel with which to implement their will. The wanderers you followed into these sacred grounds are desecrating relics, and thus must be eliminated!

ROLE:
    - You are now a Guardian of the Sepulchre and have been gifted with Magic of Discordance. Unfortunately, during the possession, your body has been drained of energy and you have become feeble. To regain energy, you must join the rat race of searching and find black vials, which restore your power reserves by one. For every vial you find, you may make a kill by PM-ing me Kill: ____
    The spirit within also realises that, to avoid suspicion, the host must also carry out normal town actions. Thus, the following moves are also granted:
    - During the day, you may vote to lynch or imprison a fellow elf.
    - During the day, you may also choose to search one of the Sepulchre’s many rooms. To do this, you must Search: [ROOM NAME]. Within rooms, you may find gold and useable items. Be warned though, as chests may also contain traps. Search at your peril.
    Of course, the Sepulchre belongs to our ancestors, and any traps that lie in your dungeon remain at the forefront of your mind. You are thus immune to traps.

VICTORY CONDITION: Vanquish every last one of the foul creatures that tread amongst the Relics of the Sepulchre.

STRANGER PM:
    You are the elusive Stranger that has led this band of Roving Elves (or perhaps you refer to them as trap-bait) into the Sepulchre. You could not have dared attempt such a stunt alone, but with a foolish group of Elf low-lives in tow, your chances are greatly improved. They will serve as distraction to the Spirits of the Sepulchre, allowing you to feast upon the riches within this once-impenetrable fortress. However, your goal is not merely monetary. The Kalina-Staff, once held by Regent Arpe’gio II, is rumoured to lie within this very Sepulchre. If you become the bearer of such a relic, any powers once held by the Regent and those before him would be instantly bestowed upon you! Instant, unquantifiable power beyond your wildest dreams!

ROLE:
    - As stranger, you have read and researched for decades the dangers of enchanted burial grounds such as these. As such, you are immune to any traps held within rooms.
    - As leader of the band of Roving Elves, you may make an additional lynch vote, which you must PM me. After all, many of your new followers are wracked with nerves, and have led simple lives as of yet. Your persuasion powers will be able to convince all who follow you.
    - As leader of the band of Roving Elves, you are the most knowledgeable and therefore are looked up to. At any point, you may PM me, the host, to stop a lynch from taking place. This may be done once only.
    - You are a traitorous, malicious scum. As such, you may desert your band of Roving Elves during any night phase by Vote: Desert. This must be public.
    VICTORY CONDITION: Escape the Sepulchre with the Kalina-Staff.
    Arpeggio: A broken chord. Arpeggiate: Breaking up a chord. ArpeggiateTHIS, scumbag.

I'm sorry that it had to end this way, Arpeggiate; mistakes happen, unfortunately, but it was a good game while it lasted!

I wouldn't mind seeing the mafia QT/PMs, t'would be a good read... same applies to the roles/search results. :3

EDIT: Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by TheFlax; 07-29-2010 at 00:40.

I'm sorry that it had to end this way, Arpeggiate; mistakes happen, unfortunately, but it was a good game while it lasted!

I wouldn't mind seeing the mafia QT/PMs, t'would be a good read... same applies to the roles/search results. :3
    The posts are all up now, if there's anything else you'd like to know just tell me :P

If there is a next game, I'll make sure it goes smoothly and without blunder.

Mafia QT
    My estimation of you and johnhughthom has decreased dramatically after reading that... rambling and metagaming?! ¬_¬
    Last edited by Secura; 07-28-2010 at 23:33.

My estimation of you and johnhughthom has decreased dramatically after reading that... rambling and metagaming?! ¬_¬
    What?! I don't really understand what you're saying. What metagaming? I can concede the rambling, I've always said I'm not a very good player, but I take umbrage to the metagaming part. If anyone has been metagamed, it was me, because the whole case on me was basically that.

What?! I don't really understand what you're saying. What metagaming? I can concede the rambling, I've always said I'm not a very good player, but I take umbrage to the metagaming part. If anyone has been metagamed, it was me, because the whole case on me was basically that.
    Nooooo, you've misinterpreted! The QuickTopic basically says I was rambling about johnhughthom, but I believe that my points were coherent, entirely well-founded and didn't vaguely resemble rambling in the slightest.

As for the metagaming; I suspected johnhughthom to be mafia before he revealed the QT mistake to me. He asked me not to try to figure out which game it applied to and I respected that wish, but it wasn't going to prevent me from playing or voting for him based on my initial suspicions. :P

I enjoyed what I played of this quite a lot -- catching a mafia always makes my townie heart warm. :)

I am sorry it had to come at the expense of Flaxy -- luv ya Flax!

I'd like to see more games from you regardless, ArpTHIS -- thanks for this one.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I heard Splitpersonality sat on his arm during the night phases.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Nooooo, you've misinterpreted! The QuickTopic basically says I was rambling about johnhughthom, but I believe that my points were coherent, entirely well-founded and didn't vaguely resemble rambling in the slightest.

As for the metagaming; I suspected johnhughthom to be mafia before he revealed the QT mistake to me. He asked me not to try to figure out which game it applied to and I respected that wish, but it wasn't going to prevent me from playing or voting for him based on my initial suspicions. :P
    Sorry, I feel rather silly now. Talk about jumping the gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Renata View Post
    I'd like to see more games from you regardless, ArpTHIS -- thanks for this one.
    Just in case it wasn't clear over MSN, I second this opinion a thousand times over, Arpeg; don't refrain from hosting again just because things don't go as planned in this game... you've got the makings of a good host about you. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Hahahaha... I'm not sure anyone but you and I will understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Who told you that? :P

I searched, but mostly didn't do my secret vote until this last round where I tied it up with a secret vote on Pinman, which turned out to be wrong :x

Order of rooms I searched.

5, 4, 3.

Didn't find anything apparently in 4 or 3 as I never got PMs back.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by spL1tp3r50naL1ty View Post
    Who told you that? :P

I searched, but mostly didn't do my secret vote until this last round where I tied it up with a secret vote on Pinman, which turned out to be wrong :x

Order of rooms I searched.

5, 4, 3.

Didn't find anything apparently in 4 or 3 as I never got PMs back.
    I didn't send you PMs? I sent no-find ones out anyway :Z.

Either way, I used to get abnormally excited when I gave one of you an item or trap. It's a shame that both items never got used...

No you didn't @.@

No problems though

Also I was totally unaware that the rooms had names

I'm pretty bad at reading sometimes :P
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by spL1tp3r50naL1ty View Post
    No you didn't @.@

No problems though

Also I was totally unaware that the rooms had names

I'm pretty bad at reading sometimes :P
    No problems. Originally, when this was due to be a small game, I'd made it so that you had to find a key in the "Prince's Dream" (HINT: dream...aspiration) room before going to the "Everlasting Shrine" (Why, the BIG CENTRAL ROOM of course!) to get the staff. But there was no chance of success in a mini, so the key was dropped.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234