Thread: Population growth

Default Population growth

It´s one of the things that troubles me the most is the insane growth of the population ingame so i would like to know if there´s any way to control this

for most of you this might seem a bit off but one of the things i enjoyed the most ingame was to control the demographics of my empire (with the use of slaves and peasents being shipped from one area to the other )

now there´s no more peasents to recollate to other regions (eb stuff) and disbanding units in mtw2 doesn´t seem to increase to the city´s population so my request is very simple

tag the population growth with taxs and if possible reduce it to either half of 1/4 of the current numbers because we´ll have 4tpy so that authomatically doubles the growthrate of a setlement

if anyone can teach me how i can possible mode that myself i would apreciate it too as to reduce the current populations growth in mtw2 to 1/10 of it´s current numbers

if people want the population to growth faster then they should relocate peasent units and disband them or use the enslave option

on a personal opinion the games seems to have been only tested to take the setlements into minor cities and then they they go crazy on you making it almost impossible to keep a decent and happy population in a sustainable way
    it ruins part of the fun for me who enjoy the capitalist management of my empire more then i do enjoy batles

Default Re: Population growth

It is not that insane if the growth is adjusted for 4tpy. Of course in MTW2 you can always get around slow growth with a high chivalry general + some ancillaries and buildings usually increase growth. EB could remove all growth ancillaries and buildings but I think the Chivalry effect on growth is hardcoded.

Taxes also already affect growth between 1-5% depending on rate of taxes and the size and base growth of the region. Not sure if that can be changed thru modding or not.

Relocating and disbanding has no effect in MTW2 that I've ever heard of. It can replenish the pool of a certain unit but doesn't do anything for region population size.

EB2 will already have some regions that can only attain certain max size from what I read in previews no matter the growth and really the growth is only important for taxes/city wall size to upgrade region. If you get plague or riots that reduce population, well... that happened quite often in the RE though not sure about the Republic. Even Greece and other places had sometimes high civil disorder or small civil wars if you think of rioting as that. Squalor etc increases chances of both but usually there are plenty of buildings to counteract such things, you do have to actually build them...
    Last edited by Ichon; 08-02-2010 at 18:46.

i know all of that but it was part of my gaming experience to control the population by recruiting and disbanding units amongst other atrocities :\ it´s a killjoy removing gaming options soon enough i suspect we will have nothing to do on the strategy part and will be given only batles to fight -.-

I didn't test it, but the add_population cheat should work in M2TW to. I know that's no perfect solution, but sometimes I use this even in EB I to Roleplay population movement (recruited units only include the guys of fighting age, not the whole population).

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

got several high-dread generals, they'll scare the hell out of the population!!!

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

M2TW lets you adjust the population levels for settlements (i don't think RTW did) which is a nice start. You can also adjust the various contributing factors which effect population growth from how much each level or farming gives, squalor and chivalry etc.

MT2W doesn't have slaves (as far as I know) and it doesn't allow for unit disbanding.

I'm sure the EB can do something about slaves by adding traits to governments when a settlement is enslave.

I've always found that population growth in M2TW is too fast and you can easily cap out a settlement within 100 years, with settlements being ready to upgrade almost a few turns after you finish building the last settlement upgrade.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Balbor View Post
    M2TW lets you adjust the population levels for settlements (i don't think RTW did) which is a nice start. You can also adjust the various contributing factors which effect population growth from how much each level or farming gives, squalor and chivalry etc.

MT2W doesn't have slaves (as far as I know) and it doesn't allow for unit disbanding.
    slaves are present as trade resource in africa and east europe (play as moors or egypt and you could see chains that give florins to your greedy slave merchants), but just merely normal trade resource. Unit disbanding could be performed in homeland, but unlike RTW, your city in question mustn't be under siege to be able for disband the units.

I'm sure the EB can do something about slaves by adding traits to governments when a settlement is enslave.

I've always found that population growth in M2TW is too fast and you can easily cap out a settlement within 100 years, with settlements being ready to upgrade almost a few turns after you finish building the last settlement upgrade.
    once again, this is the bad things of chivalry... try have several dread generals as governors...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    slaves are present as trade resource in africa and east europe (play as moors or egypt and you could see chains that give florins to your greedy slave merchants), but just merely normal trade resource. Unit disbanding could be performed in homeland, but unlike RTW, your city in question mustn't be under siege to be able for disband the units.
    I know there is a resource for them, i mean the aspect of it which improves the population growth of other settlements after you enslave a settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    once again, this is the bad things of chivalry... try have several dread generals as governors...
    and the population of settlements is quite low, i modded my SS-RC+RR install to increate the population requirements, resulting in some settlement never reaching the top 2 tires unless they had a governor with at least 5 chivalry. I also used events to trigger upgrades to help slow thing a bit more.