Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Wager - Glorious Achievements Diplomacy Thread

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Post The Grand Wager - Glorious Achievements Diplomacy Thread

This is the in-character diplomacy thread for the Glorious Achievements hotseat game. Please only post here if you are a participant in the game.

OOC:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The grand wager is a plot device intended to create an IC reason for us to be concerned about the achievements.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 08-25-2010 at 14:44.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Default Re: The Grand Wager - Glorious Achievements Diplomacy Thread

At the Milanese Court of Duca Giorgio a banqueting hall is prepared for the arrival of guests from around the world.

The Duca has challenged his fellow Kings and Sultans to a Grand Wager in which each will compete for the honour of being recognised as the greatest leader of men on God's great earth.

Tables laden with food, comfortable chairs and flagons of ale and wine await the arrival of the guests.

Duca Giorgio himself is not yet present, which only adds to the keen sense of anticipation...
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 08-26-2010 at 00:13.

A parchment arrives by royal messenger:

Here thee! Here thee!
    The Royal princess of the Emperor will make her way towards the Italian peninsula,
    She will most certainly charm many of the Italians, but her primary mission is that of diplomacy and to negotiate the relinquishment of Florence and Bologna,
    We welcome the three nations of he peninsula to negotiate terms for these Italian cities in exchange for a rich bounty for the Emperor, and discourage any from attempting to take matters into their own hand or risk war.

- The true Holy Roman Emperor
    Last edited by TriforceV; 08-25-2010 at 23:00.

An eldery Milanese gentleman rises to address the messenger. He is well known to those gathered at the Ducal court, being Conte Giacomo di Genova, a trusted advisor of Duca Giorgio himself and also known as 'Il Gattopardo'.

His silvery hair is cropped short and he sports a small pointy beard.

Signor, allow me to confirm your principessa will be most welcome here at the court of Duca Giorgio. I should also make it clear that his highness will be most interested in speaking with the Kaiser's daughter regarding the fate of Firenze and Bologna. We should prefer to conduct these discussions in private, so I suggest the principessa, on her arrival, join me in the anteroom or correspond in writing.

OOC: please respond to my pm on the subject if you would like to open discussions.

However, I should point out that Firenze is currently not held by his imperial majesty, being unaffiliated, and so any negotiations will be over our claims to that city, subject to one or other of our nations bringing it under our control.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 08-26-2010 at 00:18.

Post Re: The Grand Wager - Glorious Achievements Diplomacy Thread

An Egyptian man enters, bowing to his host and extending his arms.

My name is Nasr Kabuli, of the Egyptian Hassanids. Sultan Al-Mustansir Hassan has restored Sunni Islam to Egypt and has sent a long overdue olive branch to his sunni allies across the mideast. In this time of unification for the ummah, the Turkish Sultanate and ourselves have entered into alliance. Insha'Allah, we will together usher in a new age for Islam and spread the blessed word Al-Mustafa across the earth.

The diplomat gives a sideways grin.

Now... frankly speaking for my master... it would do well for the good Al-Mustansir to win this game--an accredit to his new rulership and vindication against his political enemies. Thus, we gladly accept this gamble the esteemed Duke of Milan has proposed and I am here to offer my services to both you and my masters during this wager's duration.

He bows one last time before stepping away and taking his seat opposite of the German envoy.
    Last edited by Quirl; 08-31-2010 at 23:52.

Sweljuk Sultan Sweladin Member barcamartin's Avatar

A noble man hastily enters the chambers, his head held high and his entire demenour showing pride and arrogance. His red cape bears three golden lions, and when he starts to speak it is in French.

I bring word from Willliam the Conqueror, Lord of Normandy and King of England. He accepts the Duke's challenge, but is having a hard time looking forward to this glorious contest. The Scottish barbarians have shown their cruelty and savagery by attacking the English village of York, and slaying our Prince among hundreds of brave Englishmen in doing so. I cannot say this was unexpected, but I must congratulate the brutes on successfully pulling out a daring manuever, simultaneously sealing their own doom.

With that he simply nods to the assembled, and takes a seat near the unoccupied throne of the Duke.
    Last edited by barcamartin; 08-31-2010 at 22:01.
    The Great Seljuks, Winner of the "Broken Crescent: Commanders of the Faithful" hotseat

Knight of the Crusade Member Thanatos Eclipse's Avatar

In a secluded seat from the other dignitaries that had arrived, a young Spanish noble sits anxiously. He wore a golden jacket with a scarlet red cape. Around his neck hung a silver chain with the a small gold bull on the end of it. Having remained silent since arriving at the court, the Spanish dignitary finally stands. Excitedly applauding the Eglishman, he says,

“Spain knows well your plight; we too struggle to unite our people.”

The delegate pauses for a second to look around, but then shrugs to himself and readdresses the court,

“I was instructed to wait until the French, Moorish, and Portuguese representatives arrived, but seeing as none of them have chosen to show as of yet, I shall go ahead. I am Salvador Alvarez, and come representing Alfonso el Valiente, King of Spain. King Alfonso accepts your challenge Duke, but his heart binds him to his people. As such, he seeks to unite all the Spanish people of Iberia under his glorious rule. He had hoped that the Portuguese would see the validity of his throne and join him in his Reconquista against the Moors, but it seems the fools would rather he prove his worth to them. So with a heavey heart, King Alfonso must declare war on his own people in order to unite them.”

Salvador stops for a second to pick up a letter marked with the royal seal of Spain.

“By royal decree, Spain declares that any foreign agent or army that passes south of the Pyranees, without prier negotiations with the Spanish court, shall be considered an enemy of all of Spain. Also by royal decree, any wishing to join in on King Alfonso’s crusade against the Moors must first seek his permission, as he feels God has given him alone this most holy of missions.”
    Last edited by Thanatos Eclipse; 09-14-2010 at 00:36.
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

The Egyptian diplomat nods.

Let it be known, noble Spaniard, that Egypt does not recognize the Moorish Almoravids as kin and we take no offense to your invasion of their lands. You will hear no protests from us, lest you wrongfully persecute innocent Muslims caught in your war.

He turns to the Norman.

Also, we pray Allah's righteous vengeance be on your side, good Norman. Truly, a snake strikes when his neighbor's back is turned. A warrior does as this Spaniard has done and announces his intentions before he has befallen his blade.

A crowd of people enters the Doge`s palace. It is the Hungarian delegation taking its seat among the council of nations.
    Most Dope Fresh Artist Out There

DraMatiQue

www.datpiff.com/DraMatiQue-Kill-The-Game-Mixtape.429536.html

Free Mixtape Download

Lothar Zirn/Turks Member Password's Avatar

Entering the Hall is a slight man, Turban covering hid hair and a riding cloth covering his mouth. Trepidatiously walking towards a seat close to the Egyptian diplomat he removes most of the surplus dress required for riding until he is standing in a fine robe and light turban. Turning around to face the vast majority of the grand room filled with tables and guests he raises his voice.

I am the representative of the magnanimous Sultan Jalal, leader of the Great Seljuk Empire. Our lands are fertile and massive and inhabited by a populace of the one true faith. Though only recently our land have extended towards the Mediterranean and only a small amount can be considered 'Anatolia', we are willing to accept the Doge's Wager. Already diplomats of our nation have agreed upon terms of alliance with a brethren of the South, the Egyptian Ayyubids. This is not only a diplomatic token, it is a deal sealed not by us mortals, but by the mighty Allah, who commands us Sunni to control.

Similar tokens of exchange may be made with us, Allah willing, but wary will we be of those that call themselves Christians, answering to the Pope or no. I wish those participating the most magnificent of blessings and that these years may be of great fortune for all of our nations.

Vassals & Valour: Redux - Lother Zirn, Count of Marseilles
    Glorious Achievements - The Turks

Duca Giorgio finally arrives at Court, accompanied by a panoply of harlequins, jugglers, minstrels, fair maidens scattering rose petals, hunting hounds in full song and a massive, chained bear wearing a starched ruff around its swarthy neck and with its paws in a pair of colourful gloves, a dwarf in a dress riding on its back.

After the several minutes it takes for this august company to disperse and for the assembled dignitaries to recover their composure, Il Duca, deliberately giving the bear a wide berth, presents himself to the assembly and smiles broadly at his guests.

Giorgio is a tall and wiry gentleman of advancing years, his complexion bearing the kiss of a half-century of Tuscan summers and his formerly jet-black hair now almost entirely peppered with the same grey that adorns his thin mustache and pointed goatee. He is clad in black silk and cuts an elegant figure, slim and athletic.

Buongiorno my esteemed guests, you are most welcome here at the Feast of the Wager!

I trust that my old friend Il Gattopardo has made you comfortable as you awaited my arrival. I am afraid that a small dispute with my Venetian neighbours had detained me for a time. Venezia now being the newest addition to my Duchy I am at your disposal for the time being.

I have little else to say besides to wish my English, Scottish, Danish and German friends the best fortune in their attempts to find peaceful solutions to the disputes which plague them. I will remain neutral in these matters, at least for the time, but I welcome any diplomatic approaches now that I am here.

Eat, drink and make merry! The Wager has now truly begun!

After having witnessed the bizarre appearance of Doge Giorgio one Hungarian diplomat says to another.

I always knew those Italians were bizarre but what are they doing to this poor bear?
    I don`t know. There are certain rumours around. Silence. Both first look at each other and then on to the bear and the Doge.
    He should try one of our wild bears from the deep down forests of the Carpathians then.
    Both laugh.
    I will propose to the lord to gift one to the Doge.
    Both laugh out again.
    Most Dope Fresh Artist Out There

DraMatiQue

www.datpiff.com/DraMatiQue-Kill-The-Game-Mixtape.429536.html

Free Mixtape Download

Salvador graciously receives a letter, but after reading it he jumps to his feet in anger. Tearing the letter to shreds in his hands, he scans the room for his target. After a few moments of fruitless glaring, Salvador begins to calm down. After readjusting his collar and taking a deep breath, he addresses the general assembly,

“As I cannot find the French diplomat to address him directly I shall make a general announcement and hope that...” Salvador grits his teeth, “the good sir will receive it. My lord made it clear that he was intent on uniting all of Spain, and that all lands south of the mighty Pyranees mountains where subject to the Spanish court. It was also declared that any foreign agents or forces that intrude on Spanish lands, without prior approval, would be dealt with severely. However, out of good will and a hope for continued peace with the French, he has granted them the opportunity to return North unharmed, but should they continue on their current path, they will not be shown mercy.”
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

The Egyptian diplomat sends one of his Nubian slaves to clean up the mess the Spaniard has made.

Salvador dismisses the slave, insisting on picking up his own mess, but he nods to the Egyptian diplomat for the generous gesture.
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

A group of young Spanish nobles grace the Milanese Court with their presence as they pass through on their travels across Europe. Salvador gets up to greet them and converse. The whole group soon becomes overjoyed as they cheer amongst themselves and start singing Spanish songs. Salvador pulls himself away from the festive bunch long enough to announce to the court

“My new friends here bring tidings of good news. After the Moorish Sultan was deafeated in open combat a season ago, the cowered choose to cower behind his capital’s walls rather then die an honorable death with his men. However, King Alfonso has finally breached Cordoba’s defenses, taken the city, and slayed the cowered Tahar with his own sword. The Reconquista is alive and well!”

At this, Salvador’s new friends cheer and clap. A servant gathers drinks as they all continue to sing their patriotic tunes.
    Last edited by Thanatos Eclipse; 09-30-2010 at 05:43.
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

Nasr raises a brow at the Spaniard table. He then clears his throat and turns to the general delegation.

Yes, well... let it be known that our own Sultan, Al-Mustansir, has captured Jerusalem--wrestling it away from the withering hands of the "Great" Seljuks. His forces are now currently besieging Acre and the castle is expected to fall next season.

Also, I'm supposed to read this...

He takes out a scroll and begins to read it aloud in a tired, droning voice.

The Great Imam Mahfouz would like all the Kings and Nobles of Europe to rest assured that all pilgrims--Muslim, Christian, and Jew--will be treated equally and without rebuke while passing through the Holy Lands so long as we--the Hassanid Sultanate-- are in power over these jeweled cities of the coast. The Hassanid Sultanate values the beliefs and religious diversity of yadda yadda yadda...

He puts away the scroll and tilts his head.

But... surely... this is a court of business. Let us not be burdened by our States' petty religious squabbles. There's a wager to be played here and so, if no one has any objections to our taking of Jerusalem, perhaps we can return to business...
    Last edited by Quirl; 10-09-2010 at 18:16.

Walking into the court with a smug look on his face is Emperor Heinrich of the Holy Roman Empire.

I Welkcome all, I am zee Kaizer!
    I come to see this vonderful court of nation in Milanio, and I am very Impressed with City/ Diss iz vhy I have also brought my army to Siege it!!

I VANT IT!!, NOW!!!

Yesh, also I wish to congradulate the New Duke of Milan, Zee sir, Duke Bernardo!!,
    Unfortunitzly former Duke Giorgio and his company are now fish Foodz!

So unless, zee emperor findz problems in future? I wlecome yee allz to das New court of Milan part of our Holy Roman Empire.

he then flips his cape and walks out of the court admiring his soon to be prize.

(p.s. Sorry phonicsmonkey)
    Last edited by TriforceV; 10-08-2010 at 15:08.

Salvador stands and announces,

“I personally dislike the notion of two civilized Christian nations such as the Holy Roman Empire and Milan fighting, but as my Lord has been busy slaying rebels and intruders on Spain’s rightful lands, he has had little time to give foreign matters much thought. On that note, I am proud to announce that the main Portuguese Army has been slain and their rebel prince felled by my own Lord. As his son, Prince Rodrigo, lays siege to the rebel Portuguese’s capital and their false King, my Lord heads east to finish off the remaining rebel and invader settlements on the Spanish Peninsula.
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

The Egyptian man snickers, then turns to the silent Turkish ambassador, whispering...

"The Spaniard has little time to consider the immorality of killing fellow Christians whilst he's killing fellow Christians."

The man grins, proud of his joke; but the Turkish diplomat only stares blankly at the wall ahead. Nasr furrows his brow and backs away slowly from the Turkish envoy, deciding it best not to talk with him anymore.
    Last edited by Quirl; 10-13-2010 at 02:52.

Overhearing some of the Egyptian’s one sided conversation, Salvador says to himself, grumbling, “The rebel Portuguese hardly qualify as Christians anymore, let alone civilized. Ha.” However, Salvador thinks about it for a second and adds, “Although, with the death of the Duke, the Milanese have fallen into chaos themselves.” Salvador shrugs and laughs to himself, “Que es la vida (That’s life)”
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

The Danish King has received the message from the Emperor. While the Emperor may want to clear some room in his inbox to receive responses in the future, he would hopefully be happy to hear that the Danish King accepts.

The wind rustled throughout the city of Milan, the glorious court sat unnerved by the coming events,
    after a long eerie silence, a single loud "Thud" echo's across the streets of Milan, then another, and another... Finally there's a loud Crash, and screams echo throughout Milan!

A Milanese soldiers runs into the court in disarray and panic, with fear penetrating his eyes he yells

"THE WALLS HAVE BEEN BREACHED, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!"

He makes a quick exit in a panic to his unknown fate!

Throughout the whole city now, screams, panic, chaos and excitement echo, German soldiers have won against the meager defenses and are now helping themselves to the treasure and women.
    All of a sudden the court hears the marching of soldiers, growing louder and louder.

Enters the Emperor accompanied by his royal guard marching in formation, the emperor enters the hall on a black steed and addresses the court

"Milan iz mine!
    Youve are velcom to stay, I vill ensure dat da troops do not show yee pain!"

He then unsattles his horse and takes a seat at the HRE table of delegates and unceremoniously puts his feat up on the table and yawns widely,
    The then glances at his troops and snaps his finger impatiently.

A royal messengers enters and unrolls his parchment to read to the court

"Good evening gentlemen!,
    Milan is now under the control of the Holy Roman Empire Rule,
    Questions are raised on the fate of this court, do these fine ambassadors wish that the court remain in Milan? or should there be a vote for a new location?
    Duke Bernardo is also dead, have his shortest reign in history!
    Also the Holy Roman Empire, has negotiated peace terms with the Danish, and have agree to let them have Hamburg in order to end the fighting!.
    - Ambassador to the Emperor"

After the reading you hear a large strange noise echo throughout the hall, "RRAraraWwwaratarr-ppooooOOoo"
    Apparently the Emperor has fallen asleep, and snores like beast...

The Hassanid ambassador is leaning in his seat, cleaning his nails with a knife.

I care not where we meet, good gentlemen. All the places here look the same to me.

He looks up.

I do wonder, though... with the Duke gone into Abraham's bosom... what is the fate of his game? Is "The Great Wager" still on? Or has this merely become another brothel for diplomacy and matters of state? I don't believe I'm totally qualified to be here if that is the case...
    Last edited by Quirl; 10-26-2010 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirl al-Mustafa Mubarak View Post
    The Hassanid ambassador is leaning in his seat, cleaning his nails with a knife.

I care not where we meet, good gentlemen. All the places here look the same to me.

He looks up.

I do wonder, though... with the Duke gone into Abraham's bosom... what is the fate of his game? Is "The Great Wager" still on? Or has this merely become another brothel for diplomacy and matters of state? I don't believe I'm totally qualified to be here if that is the case...

OCC:
    This game is called Total War is it not!?
    Many of these Great Wager's are non-war releated achievements, and I think its still applicable, but so is War right?

OOC:
    Just trying to settle the matter as it relates to RP. The idea of "the great wager" was the whole reason all our diplomats gathered here. So, I'm just wondering where this courtroom will go from here...

Responding the the Hassanid Ambassador, Salvador says "My lord has said that even with the Dukes demise, he believes the Grand Wager should carry on; that is if the other Lords of Europe and the East are willing to continue in its pursuit. It might have started as one man's vision, but we have all arrived here in the quest for that same vision, therefore the death of one man should not change the goal of this congregation."
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

As the last Milanese dignitaries are fleeing from the chamber a bearded Turk steps through the doors and into the chamber, squinting in the glare of a beam of sunlight which spotlights him from above. His head is adorned with an off-white turban and he is draped in simple olive-green robes. He has a large hooked nose which protrudes from his bushy moustache like a sea otter emerging from a bank of kelp. Over his shoulder he has a canvas kit bag which he drops onto the flagstones beside him.

As-salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatu'l-laahi wa barakatuhu my brothers! I come from the far off Sultanate of Rum bearing the greetings of Sultan Jalal the Magnificent who would take part in the Italian Duke's Grand Wager.

Although as I understand it the Duca has won himself only a watery grave for his troubles...Allah have mercy on his soul. I trust the wager is still in place? We would compete with your good rulers, confident of victory and glory in the eyes of Allah!

I bring gifts of pomegranates should your noble persons require them - feel free to help yourself.

He finds a seat and proudly tips out of his canvas bag onto the table in front of him a bushel or so of fairly tired looking pomegranates, for all the world like a hawker setting out his wares on his stall in the souq. Some of the pomegranates fall to the floor and he does not appear to notice.

The Hassanid ambassador twiddles his fingers and leans forward.

Oooooh. Pomegranates.

He plucks a few off the table and stuffs them into his mouth, sucking on each of his fingers as he does so.

Throwing down the letter he was reading, Salvador jumps up in anger. With the court still lacking a French diplomat, Salvador curses and shakes his fist in the Devils direction,

"Silver-tounged toad eaters. I told my Lord that those French Gaul coundn't be trusted, to crush them on sight, but no; he had to give them a chance to explain themselves. I'd like to hear them explain this! What kind of backwards Christains sign treaties of allegency then turn around and march on their allies borders? Did they think we wouldn't notice? It's not enough that we are fighting the rebelious Portugese and the Moorish invaders, are we going to have to fight French barbarians too?"

Pulling a cross from under his shirt, Salvador kisses it, "Truly God must be testing us; to send such demons and plagues upon Spain."

Calmed down now, Salvador retakes his seat and begins to write a hasty response to the letter.
    Last edited by Thanatos Eclipse; 11-10-2010 at 02:06.
    For Rome! Got Rome!!
    For the Admiral!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast