Thread: EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread

Hi,

My name is Edwin and I work for Feral Interactive who ported Rome Total War to the Mac.

I have extracted all the EB 1.2 data out of the Windows installers and I have the mod working on the Mac I wanted to know who I should ask about permission to host (with full credit) a Mac download of the Mod for Mac users so they don't need to install it on the PC and copy the data across which is a little tricky for most people.

I would like to have this hosted on our downloads page (downloads.feralinteractive.com) so Mac fans can join in. The only edits I have done to the mod are to convert the video files from wmv to a Mac friendly format, after the edit I also edited descr_sm_factions.txt with the new file endings.

As a Rome fan I just want to make sure Mac players can access all the cool mods but I also want to make sure that everyone who made the mod gets the credits they deserve.

If someone could let me know who I should contact that would be great thanks!

Edwin

Default Re: Mac Version - Mac version created & hosting organised, who do I ask for permissio

I will post your request in the internal forums (if another team member hasn't done so already yet). I expect it'll be fine with the rest of the team but it's tradition we let everyone take part in these kind of decisions.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Default Re: Mac Version - Mac version created & hosting organised, who do I ask for permissio

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    I will post your request in the internal forums (if another team member hasn't done so already yet). I expect it'll be fine with the rest of the team but it's tradition we let everyone take part in these kind of decisions.
    Thanks sounds good.

Edwin

From the feedback so far: it seems like the rest of the team agrees, too. So as far as we are concerned you can go ahead and host a Mac version of the mod. A couple of things I/we think you should take into account however, are:
    1. The best thing to do would be to host a combined 1.1 & 1.2 version of the mod. It should also include the EB 1.2 fixes.
    2. We'd would like to get an URL from you we can use for a hyperlink on our website to refer Mac OSX users to your Mac version of the mod.
    3. We won't be able to provide any tech support of substance.
    4. And we think you should refer people to this forum thread too: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...or-Forum-Users
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    From the feedback so far: it seems like the rest of the team agrees, too. So as far as we are concerned you can go ahead and host a Mac version of the mod. A couple of things I/we think you should take into account however, are:
    1. The best thing to do would be to host a combined 1.1 & 1.2 version of the mod. It should also include the EB 1.2 fixes.
    2. We'd would like to get an URL from you we can use for a hyperlink on our website to refer Mac OSX users to your Mac version of the mod.
    3. We won't be able to provide any tech support of substance.
    4. And we think you should refer people to this forum thread too: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...or-Forum-Users
    1. Already done :) I only plan on hosting a single version for the Mac, 1.2 with all the patches.
    2. Once it is hosted I will ping you a url for you to link to
    3. I would not expect Mac specific support however Mac users will I am sure head to the forums and ask for mod specific help (issues or gamplay questions NOT related getting it to work). As the Mac and PC data structure and engine are idential any mod issues will usually be cross platform in nature. I understand not being able to help Mac people with Mac problems but I hope actual issues inside the mod you would treat the Mac users the same as Windows and offer them the same advice? I am happy to make this point clear to Mac users in the download so you don't get any help requests for Mac installation issues.
    4. Sure we can refer people to the forum rules page if you would like that is no problem at all.

I hope to get the Mac mod packaged up later this week will let you know how I progress.

Cheers,

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin@Feral View Post
    I would not expect Mac specific support however Mac users will I am sure head to the forums and ask for mod specific help (issues or gamplay questions NOT related getting it to work). As the Mac and PC data structure and engine are idential any mod issues will usually be cross platform in nature. I understand not being able to help Mac people with Mac problems but I hope actual issues inside the mod you would treat the Mac users the same as Windows and offer them the same advice? I am happy to make this point clear to Mac users in the download so you don't get any help requests for Mac installation issues.
    Yes we (and for that matter other fans) will be able to deal with “how do I get Marian legions” type of questions. However things like CTD's may prove more tricky as we can't really be sure that Feral's version of Rome Total War contains all the idiosyncrasies and bugs of the original...
    Sure we can refer people to the forum rules page if you would like that is no problem at all.
    It's actually a collection of FAQ-type threads that one.
    I hope to get the Mac mod packaged up later this week will let you know how I progress.

Cheers,
    Looking forward to it!
    - Tellos Athenaios

Default Re: 1.2 fixes you should try before posting

Hey this is for Edwin,
    Im a pretty big fan of the mod and personally insanely happen with your Mac friendly version. Except for a few bugs. Not only the movie files but the sound files as well. The music for the game is kind of glitctch and "lags" or just stops for a second then starts again every couple seconds. This happens about 90% of the time. Also Im playing as the Romani and I've been looking forward to the latin commands....There aren't any. There are completely silent on the field except for death cries and that kind of stuff. Theres also some English on the campaign map... I know this is kind of alot and Im wonderin if theres somethin im doing wrong? Message me back if other people have this problem or not... Thanks :D

Default Re: 1.2 fixes you should try before posting

I have the same issue at this, among other in this forum:

I noticed someone else asked the same question, but I did not see a solution. (unless I overlooked it)
    I have all the files needed and am following the install instruction video. All is fine until I run the script to enable mods. Here is the error message I get:

RomemodSetup.command ; exit;
    ** Checking Rome is installed in Applications **

** ERROR OCCURRED **
    ** Please check you have installed **
    ** Rome into your Applications folder **
    ** and that you have admin privileges **
    logout

rtw bought from feral d2d is installed in applications, I have enabled admin privileges, both eb and romedata are enabled as read/write, and my new macbook pro has the ability to run the game.

any word on this issue?

any word on what the issue is?
    Last edited by komenu; 12-17-2011 at 21:34. Reason: spelling

Default Won't Load Campaign or Battles

Hello Total War players,

This is my first post on the site, though I have been a frequent reader and a guest for a while and a player for many years. I've always been quite happy with Vanilla RTW, but recently decided to try something new. I'm using the Gold Edition version of RTW published by Feral Interactive for Mac, and while my laptop is 4-5 years old it runs the game perfectly well. I decided to try the Mac version of Europa Barbarorum and followed the video and readme instructions as best I could (the script didn't do anything for me so I had to make a read-write copy myself with Disk Utility). I got it to load and everything absolutely fine, but when I click on "EB Main Campaign" I get the "Choose an Item from the List" box and can't go forward. I left the game and deleted the map.rwm file-- same problem. To make things more confusing, the game wouldn't launch custom battles either-- I could select armies, but when I clicked the enter game button, it sent me back to the panel where the player chooses the factions. I deleted the whole mod setup, created a new read-write RomeData, redownloaded EB, reinstalled it-- same problem. Can anyone help me?!

Thanks so much!

(PS-- same exact problem when I tried modding with Mundus Magnus instead)

Default Unusual launch crash...

Ok, so I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.8, and have just downloaded Rome Total Realism and E. Barbarorum mods, both for mac.

The version of Rome I have is the gold edition off the App Store, and it is entirely up to date.

I ran the script to allow Rome to run mods, and it went completely to plan. My account is an admin account and I had more than enough space. The only unexpected thing was having to enter my password to allow the script to continue operating. Apart from that, smooth as silk.

So I did as the instruction asked and simply typed -mod:EB into the 'advanced' window, whereupon it refused to start and cited the following reason:

'RTW could not be run because the file "data:fmv:rome_title.mov" is missing from the installation.

I took that to mean the intro video which always plays when the game is booted up. I then discovered it also refuses to play the original game, as well as BI, and Realism. It also has 'locked' my video preferences and does not allow me to choose anything other that 640x400 resolution for the battles and campaign map.

I then tried to do so manually, i.e. move the EB and TR files into the RomeData directory, but again, same issue, and no joy.

Help?

lagraf05

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Default Re: Unusual launch crash...

The problem with Apple is they think they know what is better for you than you do.

This is fine for the tech ignorant masses who are in awe of the touch screen IPod, IPhone, and IPad even though Xerox copiers had touch screen technology since 1979. But it sucks for anyone else, including you apparently.

I wish I could help, but my only suggestion is to install Windows and play EB.
    Last edited by fallen851; 05-02-2013 at 15:39.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Default Re: Unusual launch crash...

Oh trust me, I'm not a Mac fan anymore. I used to be, when I first got this thing a few years ago. Now I hate it. First thing I'm doing at the end of summer is shifting straight to a fairly powerful Windows laptop running 7 64bit.

Default Missing files

Hi guys,

I did something rather silly the other day but I cant remember doing it and dont even know how I went about doing it. I was playing away just fine 2 days ago, shut the game down and then went back to open the game back up today and I got this weird message saying that Rome Total War is installing.

A bit of background: I'm playing on a Mac (works absolutely fine, a few CTD's here and there but I'm several hundred turns in and still going strong with the Macedonians) I have neglected to update RTW:BI for ages and it has been sitting there waiting to be updated for ages with that little empty bar sitting above in the applications folder. So I have had to open that game a different way for a while. I go into the RTW folder, right click in the RTW:BI image and select "Show Package contents". From there I click on MACOS folder, then once in there click on the black/gray image that says "Rome Total War". This opens the game through the terminal window and Presto, the game opens and runs perfectly. However, I noticed today that the folder had a lot less files in it than normal for some bizarre reason but tried to open it anyway, and then I got the message about it trying to install again. After some not so difficult sleuth work, I found a bunch of missing files in the damn trash. These are the files I found:

-barbarian_invasion (normal blue folder)
    -barbarian_invasion 6.18.09 PM (normal blue folder)
    -barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names 6.18.24 PM.txt
    -barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    -imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names copy.txt
    -map.rwm (back/gray image)
    -map.rwm 8.01.54 PM

What I'm hoping will work is if one of you guys applies your massive brains to this issue and can find out where these files actually belong (I just stuck them into some arbitrary folder in the hopes of it working, shocking news: it didn't) then the game will be able to fire back up again. Otherwise I might have to install the whole thing again? Massive thanks whoever can help me out on this!

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Missing files

Moving above post to EB for mac thread

I don't run the mac version myself, but AFAIK map.rwm should be regenerated if missing, so that can't be the problem. The barbarian invasion invasion files likewise shouldn't matter. Only the missing imperial_campaign file may cause problems. I think it belongs in the data or world/map folders.
    Last edited by Ludens; 12-04-2014 at 22:37.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Thanks for that. I tired it but that didnt work either. I'm not surprised really because with my limited technical know-how I was liable to throw the files anywhere. SO what I chose to do is go for a clean install.

This is where I have stalled again.

I downloaded from the app store that latest RTW with BI. In my applications folder the image for this looks split in half horizontally, with the RTW above the BI image. It is the latest version as well. Then I downloaded the EB files and the installer for them. I have been getting the same message in the terminal about making sure that RTW is installed in the Applications folder and have tried moving the RTWBI image into a separate folder WITH the Rome data script in the Applications folder (the one with the image that looks like a little robot) and running it from there but to no avail. I remember last time I tried installing I had the same problem but somehow I found someone with the same issue and they managed to solve. Please believe me when I say I have pored over many of the pages in this forum and others before asking for help here but I'm really stuck. It also doesnt help that I am not very IT gifted so any explanations I find are usually have far too many tech terms in them that I just dont understand.

But if someone has had this problem in the past or has experience fixing this or knows anyone that can help I'd really appreciate it. Many thanks.

Alright, update to that latest issue.

I found some instructions on Reddit, of all places on how to install EB. So, I put the EB file into the RomeData file, put the "-mod:EB" business in there and hey presto, EB fired up. Then I ran into my next two obstacles. First, I have RTW from the app store with the BI expansion but I can tell that EB is running off the RTW executable and not BI because when the game starts I see the original start video and not the new BI video. So, any thoughts on how to make EB run through the BI executable? When I had it installed last time it was so I know for sure that it is possible.

Second obstacle is that I am getting the "Please select an item from the list" message come up when I select EB main campaign. However, I have seen that many people are having this issue in this thread so I'll do some research on how to fix that, but I need to hurdle obstacle one first.

Any thoughts? Thanks heaps to anyone who can help.

Hi all,

I'm guessing that most people are probably playing EBII right about now, but I've got a really good campaign going still on EBI and I'm itching to get back to it so I'm hoping someone can help me out a little here.

As per my previous post, I am still having installation issues, primarily the one which just says "process complete" without actually installing EB. After some research, I found that with the app version of the game (which has the BI and Rome icon appear as a split color circle icon) does not come with the RomeData.dmg that I need to install EB. Does anybody know where I can find this at all? Once i find this little file, I will probably be able to install the game.

Any help here would really be appreciated. Many thanks.