Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread

Default Re: Mac Version - Mac version created & hosting organised, who do I ask for permissio

If there is a preferences.txt file on the Mac, simply try to edit it by hand and set the resolution. That approach works on Windows with various “odd” resolutions; and it might just work on the Mac, too.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Default Re: Mac Version - Mac version created & hosting organised, who do I ask for permissio

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing141 View Post
    Edwin,
    Thanks for the replies. I take the hint and would post to the Feral support site for game (as opposed to mod) issues, but I just checked and there is no forum on the Feral site dedicated to Rome: Total War....Also, tried to start the game with FSAA turned completely off and the max resolution was still 1980x1200 as opposed to the full screen on my iMac...

Thanks again.
    The Feral support is email based, we don't have forums right now. About your problem that sounds like a limit in the Mac version will have a look at why and see if it can be extended in the next patch. Usually if we block a resolution it is for good reason though.

Edwin

Hey guys. Thanks for all your hard work getting this mod worked up for RTW Mac. Saves me a lot of trouble maintaining a windows partition and switching back and forth.

I have a question regarding sound in the game. I'm having a wide variety of issues with SFX and music. There are no voice responses from any of the units (i.e. they don't identify themselves when clicked on, don't sound off formation orders, and don't make any noise when charging). Additionally, there is a really, really annoying "white noise" sound present on the strategic map, especially near coasts. This same white noise seems to occur when zoomed in near marching units, as well. I've gone through and checked the sound files, and they all seem to work fine outside EB. There is also no problem when playing vanilla RTW.

Any help you can give me regarding these issues would be greatly appreciated. I've looked around a bit, but not seen this question answered anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Seoinin View Post
    Hey guys. Thanks for all your hard work getting this mod worked up for RTW Mac. Saves me a lot of trouble maintaining a windows partition and switching back and forth.

I have a question regarding sound in the game. I'm having a wide variety of issues with SFX and music. There are no voice responses from any of the units (i.e. they don't identify themselves when clicked on, don't sound off formation orders, and don't make any noise when charging). Additionally, there is a really, really annoying "white noise" sound present on the strategic map, especially near coasts. This same white noise seems to occur when zoomed in near marching units, as well. I've gone through and checked the sound files, and they all seem to work fine outside EB. There is also no problem when playing vanilla RTW.

Any help you can give me regarding these issues would be greatly appreciated. I've looked around a bit, but not seen this question answered anywhere.
    I need to investigate but I think this is down to supported audio formats in the sound library we used for Rome (Mac), this might improve in future patches as our sound library will get better and have wider support as it is used in more games.

Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin@Feral; 09-13-2010 at 17:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin@Feral View Post
    I need to investigate but I think this is down to supported audio formats in the sound library we used for Rome (Mac), this might improve in future patches as our sound library will get better and have wider support as it is used in more games.

Edwin
    would you be able to share what formats are currently supported? if it is in fact just a format issue, I could probably convert the sound files. looking at the vanilla sounds, it seems like they are in .dat. is this the only compatible format?

Thanks again, Edwin.

Ok, so I did some digging. The EB Data file does have preferences.txt in there and I did change the resolution to the max resolution on my iMac. It runs smoothly and beautifully at that resolution with all graphics option cranked to max....BUT, for some reason I cannot set it as the default resolution...I have to select it each time I boot up the game....also, the title and loading pages do not seem to expand to that resolution (only the strategy map and the battle map do)...maybe there is something in there that tells the game that the default resolution is 1920x1200?

Interestingly, when I boot up the game without the mod, it does not even offer me the 2560x1440 option, and I can find the prefs file that would allow me to modify this...

Any ideas on how to resolve?

Many thanks in advance! And again thanks for your efforts!

T

Sorry, meant to say I CANNOT find the preferences.txt file in vanilla RTW to modify the resolution....

Quote Originally Posted by Seoinin View Post
    would you be able to share what formats are currently supported? if it is in fact just a format issue, I could probably convert the sound files. looking at the vanilla sounds, it seems like they are in .dat. is this the only compatible format?

Thanks again, Edwin.
    I think they are all in the same format but the encoder might make a slight change that makes it no longer work, a bit like an mp3 that plays in one app but not another. I don't have anything specific for you right now on why.

Interestingly, when I boot up the game without the mod, it does not even offer me the 2560x1440 option, and I can find the prefs file that would allow me to modify this...
    T
    ~/Library/Preferences/Feral Interactive/Rome Total War/Preferences.xml

open the file an edit the resolution information.

Edwin

Thanks Edwin that works! The vanilla game now also offers 2560x1440x32 resolution. However, neither EB nor Vanilla allow me to keep that setting as the default. I bet it has something to do with the pop-up window hat appears wherein you enter the "-mod:eb" command..in that window, I do not have the option to pick 2560x1440...the highest it goes is 1980x1200....is there a way to increase available resolutions for that window or to make it check what the last resolution used in game was? Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Edwin that works! The vanilla game now also offers 2560x1440x32 resolution. However, neither EB nor Vanilla allow me to keep that setting as the default. I bet it has something to do with the pop-up window hat appears wherein you enter the "-mod:eb" command..in that window, I do not have the option to pick 2560x1440...the highest it goes is 1980x1200....is there a way to increase available resolutions for that window or to make it check what the last resolution used in game was? Thanks again for your help.
    If you disable that menu from appearing that might work, I think the game checks for resolutions it thinks are crazy and resets if it see's them as a security feature (some people try and play games on a 30" Apple display and a GMA950 mini), this was designed to reset dangerously high resolutions, I will see if we can push the limits on this for the next patch.

Edwin

If you disable that menu from appearing that might work, I think the game checks for resolutions it thinks are crazy and resets if it see's them as a security feature (some people try and play games on a 30" Apple display and a GMA950 mini), this was designed to reset dangerously high resolutions, I will see if we can push the limits on this for the next patch.

Edwin
    Edwin, Thank you so much for the support of mods! This is the final motivation I needed for buying the MAC version of Rome Total War!! Thanks again!!! Btw, do you plan on supporting more mods? (i.e., support the automated installation of mods for the Mac version).

Edwin,
    tried turning off the menu...no effect. Whatever controls that menu will have the key to this issue. Hope it gets fixed soon. When do you guys think you will do a patch?

Edwin,
    tried turning off the menu...no effect. Whatever controls that menu will have the key to this issue. Hope it gets fixed soon. When do you guys think you will do a patch?
    I don't know if it will make the next patch but it will make a patch at some stage, kind of busy working on new games for all of you guys as well as Rome and Rome mods like EB :) Will let you know once I have something concrete for you.

Edwin

Edwin

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do you want me to change the title into "EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread" or something similar?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Do you want me to change the title into "EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread" or something similar?
    Yes, that might be a good idea as the thread has changed topic now. Thanks for cleaning up the troll as well :)

Edwin

Every time I run the RomeModSetup, it always takes me to this RomeModSetup.command. Can somebody help me out here?

Quote Originally Posted by vxvmosesvxv View Post
    Every time I run the RomeModSetup, it always takes me to this RomeModSetup.command. Can somebody help me out here?
    Watch the video that comes with the image and watch how to run the installer. The RomeModSetup.command is the installer script so it should open terminal and run. If you still need help tell me where your computer does not match the video guide.

Edwin

Anyone had success loading EB historical battles? The menu just comes up empty for me.

Shame, as the Historical Battles mod 2.0 ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=379935) looks v. tasty.

Many thanks Edwin for making RTR and EB available

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastAssasin1 View Post
    thx for the mod, it works great, but when i go on custom battles, every faction has the same units, the romans for example have soldiers for 10 different factions, is the same for all other factions, how can I fix this
    Um, this is normal, I believe. Remember all the merc units that are available.

Hello, I can seem to get EB to launch from BI. It works fine with RTW and saved games open with BI.

Is this to be expected? Or should I re-install?

Quote Originally Posted by Aitcho View Post
    Hello, I can seem to get EB to launch from BI. It works fine with RTW and saved games open with BI.

I am not 100% sure what you are asking but I will try and give you some information

The mod has been checked on the Mac using Rome TW.
    Rome BI might work but I have not tried it.
    If you get EB running using BI save games should also work.

Edwin

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Bi and RTW are compatible without handling with files (you won't get the BI abilities though, 'just' the improved CAI) but be aware that this does not count for RTW/BI and the Alexander expansion!

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

First of all: Thanx a VERY lot, Edwin, to make it work on the mac, that is GREAT!! Couldn't believe my eyes - Feral Folks, you are my heroes!
    And thanx for the mods too, of course, to all of those, who made them!

Something one may need to know when playing the german version of the game: with enabling the mods (-mod:EB, -mod:RTRPE) one needs to change the language settings in the startup menu from automatic or german to english, otherwise the game crashes to desktop. when changing to english language, everything works fine.

(almost) SOLVED SFX issue:

Installed EB and RTR manually over an unpatched 1.0 RTW Gold, everything worked fine but of the sfx within the campaign map: same issue like Seoinin described above, strange sounds within the stratmap, no voices at battle, stratmap voices very low. that occurred with both mods EB and RTRPE.

Patched the game to 1.1 (after the modinstall) and now the weird stratmap-noise is totally gone. voiceless battle remains, strategic map voices are still very low, almost unhearable even when 100% in audio menu, but I don't mind that low strat voices, because I don't like ancient roman generals to repeat with "sir"... in battle of course it would be something, when my men repeat in latin, but anyway the game is running smooth now, great pleasure!

Thanx again for that port to the mac, greez out of vienna, austria

fredvs

my hardware:
    MacBookPro late 2008
    OSX 10.6.4
    2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    GeForce 8600M GT (1440x900)
    Intel High Definition Audio
    Last edited by fredvs; 09-27-2010 at 10:57. Reason: sfx problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Aitcho View Post

Basically I cannot start a new EB campaign from the BI.app. It keeps asking me to make a selection when I click the option.

However BI opens saved games (that were started on RTW).

Hello,

Having problems loading EB

2 weeks ago I successfully downloaded EB for mac and played many hours.
    last week, when I went through the normal steps to load EB, Vanilla RTW loaded instead.

even though EB files show up on my computer, I can't load anything but RTW.

I decided to put the EB download in the trash and start from scratch, downloading from the site all over again.
    when i get to the point of clicking on Rome data script (from rome mod setup download). it asks me if i am administrator and if i have 20GB of space.... i say yes. but the script says error i am not an administrator.

this is my home computer and this was not an issue 2 weeks ago when i successfully downloaded and played EB .

any ideas?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perdiccas View Post

any ideas?

thanks
    Cut and paste the contents of the terminal script that has the error message it might have some clues.

Edwin

Hi Everyone,

Enjoying this on 17-inch MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.4 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, but am having a couple issues and wonder if anyone can help...

Still experiencing CTD after some large battles.

During battles in which my defending armies are besieged and sally, the battle sometimes won't complete even if all enemies are killed/driven off. The battle screen remains empty, and no dialog window ever pops up to end the battle... only way out is to quit with a draw and losses, city remains besieged.

Regarding patches, are the EB 1.2 patches recommended for Mac version? And, is it necessary to have a patched version of RTW 1.5 before install, as it is with EB for PC? If so, can anyone recommend a reliable place to download?

Many thanks in advance,

BT

Quote Originally Posted by b_tambaschi View Post
    Regarding patches, are the EB 1.2 patches recommended for Mac version? And, is it necessary to have a patched version of RTW 1.5 before install, as it is with EB for PC? If so, can anyone recommend a reliable place to download?

Many thanks in advance,

BT
    The Mac version of EB is v1.2 with all patches already installed.

The Mac version of RTW is version 1.5/1.6 final patched versions of the PC game.

You should not need to upgrade either version. However make sure you have upgraded your game to the latest version currently 1.1.1.

Cheers,

Edwin

Feral Interactive

Edwin

Alexander is not available on the Mac
    I have not tested using the BI executable but it should work fine as BI & Rome code wise are extremely similar.
    Awesome!! How do I play EB on the BI executable, though? I've heard a number of people say different things, but I'm not sure I understand how to do it on my MacBook.

Edwin, I maintain an installer which patches BI so it can run with EB. Most of the hard work is done in a .NET 2.0 dll which should be directly portable to Mono. There is also an NSIS installer script, which would need to be translated into whatever Mac uses an installer. There are very few files copied unpacked from the installer, as that would bloat it beyond belief. PM me if you're interested in knowing more about it.
    Currently playing as:

Want to play Europa Barbarorum on Barbarian Invasion? Read all about it!
    Thanks for the balloons!

Big Brother got you down? Join the Freedom Group on the .org!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast