Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread

Default Re: EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread

Hi all.
    I had the problem with the 'please select an item from the list' message. I did as @jobbysucks suggested, and I can now get to the faction selection screen.

However, when I choose my faction and click on the arrow to proceed, I get returned to the 'New Game' screen rather than into the campaign. I'm trying this on a brand new install of RTW and BI from the App Store.

Any suggestions at all?
    Cheers.

Wink Re: EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread

I was among many people with the "please select an item from the list" error when trying to start EB, however, I found a way around this with some other people. Not sure if this was mentioned in this thread but here are the directions anyway. Make sure you follow them precisely.

For EB to work, install it onto the RomeData.dmg. (make original .dmg read/write the copy paste the downloaded EB1.2 from the EB website onto the .dmg)
    If you try to start the EB campaign you will probably encounter the above campaign error. To fix this, go in EB / data / world / maps / campaign, and copy the 'imperial campaign' folder- paste in the same directory- rename as 'Barbarian Invasion'. Then, go into EB/ data / text, and find 'imperial_campaign_regions_and#_settlement_names.txt'. C/P the same directory - rename as 'barbarian_invasion_regions_an#d_settlement_names.txt'.

Some say you can play with bi, but seeing that on twc EB people mention bi being incompatible I just play with regular rome total war through the feral launcher.

By the way, I am not sure if I am the only one who gets this minor glitch in vanilla or eb campaign, but my characters do not make any sounds as opposed to the PC version. If anyone knows a way to get around this issue please let me know how. :)

I am a moderator on twcenter.net, my name is YD23, so if you need me to be even more clear with the above directions please send me a PM on that forum. (I'm more likely to be there)

EDIT:
    For those trying to install EB through the feral mod installer you're a bit out of luck. I as well get the "please make sure Rome is in the application folder" even though it is. I found a way around this. First make a folder called Rome Total War in your application folder. Move Rome Total War.app in there. I would also put the mod installer in that same folder and run it. When it says would you like to enable mod support press NO. Then press "yes" when it asks if you want to rebuild your data. It will go through and will actually make the .dmg read/write and will also install any mounted mods. It's very strange because when you press "yes I would like to enable mods", that doesn't work, but when you press NO, it does.

EB WILL not be installed through this, however. After the "mod installer" converts your .dmg to read/write you still have to paste the EB (freshly downloaded original copy of EB from EB site) into the RomeData.dmg. Then proceed with the very first directions in my post to get into the campaign.
    Hope this helps. :)
    Last edited by YD23; 06-23-2011 at 20:50.

Default Re: EB for Macintosh - Script not finding Rome instal path

Hey, did you find a solution? Because i have the same problem.
    thanks

Default Re: Mac Version - Mac version created & hosting organised, who do I ask for permissio

hello

sorry i have an installation problem for EB. i just installed the RTW gold edition for mac, and i downloaded both the EB data file and the script file. i followed the video instructions, mounted both RomeModSetup and EuropaBarbarorum and ran the RomeDataScript file. But I don't get the command line saying EB has been installed, i get this instead:

** Checking Rome is installed in Applications **

** Check if RomeData is already Read Write **
    /dev/disk3 Apple_partition_scheme
    /dev/disk3s1 Apple_partition_map
    /dev/disk3s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/RomeData
    touch: readwritecheck: Read-only file system
    logout

[Process completed]

could somebody please help? what am i doing wrong?

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: Mac Version - Mac version created & hosting organised, who do I ask for permissio

Could you be missing certain rights to write new data?

Other than that, I'd start by searching the web for the particular error message, doubt that it is a RTW-specific thing.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

alright i'll check, thanks

@foojer did you ever find an answer for that script problem? i have the same thing where it just checks the read/write and doesn't install

Default Re: 1.2 fixes you should try before posting

Hey this is for Edwin,
    Im a pretty big fan of the mod and personally insanely happen with your Mac friendly version. Except for a few bugs. Not only the movie files but the sound files as well. The music for the game is kind of glitctch and "lags" or just stops for a second then starts again every couple seconds. This happens about 90% of the time. Also Im playing as the Romani and I've been looking forward to the latin commands....There aren't any. There are completely silent on the field except for death cries and that kind of stuff. Theres also some English on the campaign map... I know this is kind of alot and Im wonderin if theres somethin im doing wrong? Message me back if other people have this problem or not... Thanks :D

Default Re: 1.2 fixes you should try before posting

I have the same issue at this, among other in this forum:

I noticed someone else asked the same question, but I did not see a solution. (unless I overlooked it)
    I have all the files needed and am following the install instruction video. All is fine until I run the script to enable mods. Here is the error message I get:

RomemodSetup.command ; exit;

** ERROR OCCURRED **
    ** Please check you have installed **
    ** Rome into your Applications folder **
    ** and that you have admin privileges **
    logout

rtw bought from feral d2d is installed in applications, I have enabled admin privileges, both eb and romedata are enabled as read/write, and my new macbook pro has the ability to run the game.

any word on this issue?

any word on what the issue is?
    Last edited by komenu; 12-17-2011 at 21:34. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by foojer View Post
    hello

sorry i have an installation problem for EB. i just installed the RTW gold edition for mac, and i downloaded both the EB data file and the script file. i followed the video instructions, mounted both RomeModSetup and EuropaBarbarorum and ran the RomeDataScript file. But I don't get the command line saying EB has been installed, i get this instead:

logout

[Process completed]

The exact same thing is happening to me! I'm beginning to worry if I'll be able to play Evropa Barbarorvm on my Mac again...

Quote Originally Posted by YD23 View Post
    I was among many people with the "please select an item from the list" error when trying to start EB, however, I found a way around this with some other people. Not sure if this was mentioned in this thread but here are the directions anyway. Make sure you follow them precisely.

For EB to work, install it onto the RomeData.dmg. (make original .dmg read/write the copy paste the downloaded EB1.2 from the EB website onto the .dmg)
    If you try to start the EB campaign you will probably encounter the above campaign error. To fix this, go in EB / data / world / maps / campaign, and copy the 'imperial campaign' folder- paste in the same directory- rename as 'Barbarian Invasion'. Then, go into EB/ data / text, and find 'imperial_campaign_regions_and#_settlement_names.txt'. C/P the same directory - rename as 'barbarian_invasion_regions_an#d_settlement_names.txt'.

Some say you can play with bi, but seeing that on twc EB people mention bi being incompatible I just play with regular rome total war through the feral launcher.

By the way, I am not sure if I am the only one who gets this minor glitch in vanilla or eb campaign, but my characters do not make any sounds as opposed to the PC version. If anyone knows a way to get around this issue please let me know how. :)

I am a moderator on twcenter.net, my name is YD23, so if you need me to be even more clear with the above directions please send me a PM on that forum. (I'm more likely to be there)

EDIT:
    For those trying to install EB through the feral mod installer you're a bit out of luck. I as well get the "please make sure Rome is in the application folder" even though it is. I found a way around this. First make a folder called Rome Total War in your application folder. Move Rome Total War.app in there. I would also put the mod installer in that same folder and run it. When it says would you like to enable mod support press NO. Then press "yes" when it asks if you want to rebuild your data. It will go through and will actually make the .dmg read/write and will also install any mounted mods. It's very strange because when you press "yes I would like to enable mods", that doesn't work, but when you press NO, it does.

EB WILL not be installed through this, however. After the "mod installer" converts your .dmg to read/write you still have to paste the EB (freshly downloaded original copy of EB from EB site) into the RomeData.dmg. Then proceed with the very first directions in my post to get into the campaign.

Okay, I did this, and I can now start campaigns, at least. Problem is, it won't let me save! Any idea what could be up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-12-17 at 9.56.24 PM.png 
Views:	801 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	3292  

Quote Originally Posted by foojer View Post
    hello

logout

[Process completed]

I'm having the same problem as this :/. Any solution would be great.

Anyone know what's going on here? I'm suffering from terrible EB withdrawal. Got those ants under the skin...always...always the ants...

Wink Re: Mac Version - Mac version created & hosting organised, who do I ask for permissio

YES!! This worked for me. Thanks for posting. I had the "please select" error, campaign not working on Intel iMac

Seriously, tried all kinds of fixes on the Mac but this was the only one i could get to work.

I'm running RTW 1.2 (the Ferral direct download version with BI in the same app)
    I have the app set to run RTW (not BI)
    In the advanced tab of the app I have set
    -mod:EB

Followed all your instructions and finally got a result. Nice one!

Default I dont know what to do

when i click on the romedata script to download it goes to the terminal then this comes ************************************************

logout

[Process completed]

any ideas

I don't use my Mac as gaming platform, so no help from the team here :(
    Try to ask Feral about your error.

XSamatan

Im missing the Latin voicemod....every language change in general....All the commanders and campaign map pieces still speak English. On the battle map, I don't hear commands in general other than battlecries, charges, some groans, what not. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by YD23 View Post

EDIT:

I did this and I still get the "Please select an item from the list" message.

Hello,

Ive read that a lot of people were having problem getting Europe Barbarorum on Mac with the Rome Total War Gold Edition, downloaded from the Apple Store.

Either some of you find the "Please select an item from the list" message, or get redirected to the main screen when you are able to choose a faction.

I downloaded Rome Total War Gold edition, and does not have the "Rome TW" red logo separated from the "Barbaric Invasion" blue logo, it has both colors and the "R/BI" icon to activate it.

I managed to get it to run using "Rome Total War Barbarian Invasion" option from the menu, making the adjustments that Oleo and other people mentioned before. I really dont know which one did the trick because I tried EVERYTHING I FOUND around here...

1) Used the Mod Installer as recommended in the official Europa Barbarorum page.
    2) In Apps, look for the folder "Rome Total War". You will see there the Rome Total War icon and the RomeData.dmg
    3) Change the permissions for RomeData.dmg to "Read/Write" using the "Get Info" option in the right click menu.
    4) Copy the whole freshly downloaded "EB" folder into the "RomeData.dmg"
    5) In that same EB folder, create a copy of Rome Data\EB\Data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and rename it barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    6) In the EB folder, make a copy of Rome Data\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign and renamed it barbarian_invasion
    7) Delete Rome Data\EB\Data\world\maps\base\map.rwm

Now, here comes the trick.
    When you open the RomeData.DMG directly from the main folder, you will open it and you will spot the EB folder you copied and modified, and the readwrite.txt file.
    When you open the application using the icon "Rome Total War", it will load a RomeData.DMG that DOESNT have the EB folder in it, or the readwrite.txt file, and it will also show you the Play options window where you can select the game you want to play, and the advanced options to load EB.

So what I did to get it running is open RomeData.DMG through both methods, spotting in Finder that I had two "RomeData" disk images mounted.
    I ejected the RomeData.DMG that was not modified, keeping the Play options window open, and my good modified RomeData.DMG disk image open.

In the options window I chose "Rome Total War - Barbaric Invasions" and in advanced I selected the old "Advanced Options" checkbox, adding ye old -mod:EB

And, well, at least for me, tadah! Could enter Imperial Campaign, select a faction and get into the map. I have not played more cause I already used up all my morning and should be working. But, bleh, wanted to share it with all you enthusiasts.

Abrazos desde Cancún, and happy warring!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Default Re: I dont know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Consul View Post
    when i click on the romedata script to download it goes to the terminal then this comes ************************************************

logout

[Process completed]

any ideas
    did you ever get this worked out? i have the same problem

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the install. I am trying to download EB to my MacBook Pro but both times it has not worked. I downloaded the EB file and the script to do the installing but both times after it ends it doesn't work. I type in the advanced options and when I open Rome it is the same thing. The only difference is I can't play a campaign. On the single player the only option I can pick is "Provincial Campaign" but once I click on it it is the same old vanilla factions. Any ideas of what I can do?

I have the same problem. It has something to do with folder permissions, however they are unchangeable. I will post an answer if i can figure it out.

Member thankful for this post:

Jack7 

Bah, disregard my post. I had the problem of double RomeData.img that Garouza had. His workaround is PERFECT. I am very much indebted to him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 4.28.13 PM.png 
Views:	578 
Size:	376.0 KB 
ID:	5249  
    Last edited by edgaraurelius; 04-21-2012 at 23:58.

Hi, I did the same thing as Garouzza (except I didn't delete map.rwm) , and I can launch the game, and start it, and start a campaign, but when I try to save it doesn't work! Any idea why and any idea on how to fix this?

I have a MacBook Pro from 2009, RTW and BI Vanilla are working fine on it. I tried to use the ModInstaller but it plain didn't work. (I got stuck with a process completed message a few seconds after launching the script.)

I see from this topic that I'm not the only one who has this problem (saving when I'm in the game but didn't see a solution? Does any of you have one?

Thank you very much :)

Hey, anyone as any idea of why I can't save? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by hugocorvin View Post
    Hey, anyone as any idea of why I can't save? Thank you
    I've been having the same issue. I have heard users speculate that it is a matter of read/write permissions, so I've been taking each level of my RomeData--first the RomeData itself, then EB, then saves, etc) and placing it inside a new folder, which I have then set to read/write; I then applied the permissions to enclosed items. Items such as my save folder now appear as read/write. But the "save game" button on the menu in EB is still greyed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdiccas View Post
    did you ever get this worked out? i have the same problem
    I have this exact same problem and am a total newbie to the mod and using this stuff etc. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks

I also can't seem to do the manual installation as the RomeData.dmg is showing as a 'drive' and I can't copy anything into it

In case of the greyed out save button, try to manually create this folder ...\EB\saves and take possession of it.

XSamatan

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Consul View Post

logout

[Process completed]

any ideas
    Anyone have any ideas on this? Really frustrating as I can't play EB on the Mac it seems

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast