Thread: Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Default Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Heiðinn VeðR:

Total War

Hrið Kastali, eða Skerra órr Fjándmaðr

The year is 968 A.D. It is a time of great change for the people of Britannia. The great Dread king, Harald Bluetooth, has finally embraced Christianity, and the end of the viking tyranny and raids has come!...Or so they thought. Harald's great – but pagan - son, Sweyn Forkbeard, has risen up against his father and rebelled. And now it is up to you: who will you support? Sweyn's forces have taken the Danish stronghold of Scania, and their armies are on the edge of the Danish kingdom... Upon hearing of the rebellion's initial success, many lands have begun resorting to their pagan ways, much to the Pope's dismay. Shall the Christian reign come to an end? Or will history simply continue as planned? You choose: Lead the pagans to honor and glory, or command the various armies of the world to stand against them. Your honor, your glory, and your lands are at stake: what is your choice?

Basic Overview:

Starting date: 968 A.D.

Ending date: 1168 A.D.

Number of turns: 400 (2 turns per year)

[CONTENTBOX="Map:"][/CONTENTBOX]

Cultures:
    North-Germanic
    West-Germanic
    British (Anglo-Saxon & Celtic)
    Slavic/Baltic
    Roman/Italian
    Arabic/Hispanic

Factions (May be updated):

Pagan Factions:
    Norðvegr (Norwegian Vikings)
    Danir (Danish Vikings)
    Sviariki (Swedish Vikings)
    Ríce Angelþéoda Wiðercwidan (Anglo-Saxon Rebellion)
    Stämme von Alemanni (Germanic Tribes)
    Garðaríki (Novgorod-Kievan Rus')
    Tiarna as tír dhúchais (Gaelic Tribes)
    Provincia de Gallicia (pagan Hispania)
    Hämäläiset (Finnish Tribe)
    Kursenieku (Baltic Tribe)
    Magyar törzsek (Magyar Tribes)

Christians:
    Danmark Riki (Danish Christians)
    Rīce Angelcynn (Anglo-Saxon Christians)
    Francie Occidentale (Western Franks - France)
    Ostfränkisches Reich (Eastern Franks - Germany)
    Българско царство (Bulgarian Czardom)
    Basileía tôn Rhōmaíōn (Eastern Roman Empire)
    Patrimonium Sancti Petri (Pope)
    El Reino De León (Hispania)
    Rìoghachd a Alba (Kingdom of Alba)
    Ducatus Normanniae (Duchy of Normandy)
    Księstwo Polan (Duchy of Polans)
    Ríocht de Munster (Kingdom of Munster)
    Hrvatsko Kralevstvo (Kingdom of Croatia)

Rebel Kingdoms:
    Gautar (Norse Geatish Kingdoms)
    Northumbria (Anglo-Saxon)
    Flanders (Frankish/Flemish)
    Duchy of Burgundy (Frankish)
    Caliphate of Cordoba (Hispano-Muslim)
    Principality of the Longobardi (Germanic)
    Tribes of Lithuania (Baltic)
    Duchy of Brittany (West-Frankish)
    Jarls of Hlaðir (Norse Rebels)
    Jarls of Møre (Norse Rebels)

Features & Special Scripts:
    Navigatable Rivers
    Special Quests for each faction
    Brand New Ancilliaries for each faction (Including Legendary Items)
    Slow religious conversion rates
    "Bard/Skald" instead of Pagan Faction Priests
    Authentic Unit and Place names OR English unit names - You choose!
    Historical factional representations - up to this point in history.
    Family bloodline traits - for example: Haraldr Gráfeldr (Harald Greycloak) and his sons will have the trait "Hárfagri ætt" which will give them authority/loyalty/command bonuses.
    Very Large campaign map - from Iceland to Iberia, and from Ireland to Constantinople - ALL of Scandinavia will be included.
    Special building tree system based on Wrath of The Norsemen's Innovative building tree - but tweaked, with permission of course
    Building tree will be quite different for ALL factions.
    144 Historically accurate regions, allowing for large-scale warfare.
    NO emerging factions whatsoever - it is up to the player to decide what factions will be around in 200 years.
    Hundreds of wonders built around the map - will be visible from campaign map as well. Wonders to include: Stonehenge, Hadrian's Wall, Danevirke, Temple at Uppsala, and many many more!
    New government systems: multiple levels of government control effecting population happiness, trade, military skill and martial law.
    Special units will be recruitable in certain areas. They will be available to all factions, and will not require a certain culture percentage or religion. Examples include:
    1) Ylfing Ættmenn - Östergotland
    2) Saxon Æthelings - Saxony & Lower Saxony
    3) Bæstantöri Akkus - Germany
    Never before seen strat-map levels: There will be no castles, as during this period there really weren't any. The levels will go like this:
    Outpost -> Village -> Hill-Fort -> Ringfort -> Fortress [WiP]
    A never-before-seen invasion system: all pagan factions will get the option of calling a "Great Heathen Army" (in honor of Ragnar Lodbrok's sons). This will be a powerful combat to the Christian crusades.

Team Members:

Svensk Viking: Co-Leader http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=3134

George House: 2D Artist http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=82868

Myself: Mod Leader, Text Editor http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=81704

Helpers/Researchers:

Konstantinos XI Palaiologos http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=66013

Hrobatos http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=69425

Whitecrow http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=64230

And many more... Thanks to all of you!

Frequently Asked Questions (Read before Asking please!!!):

Q1: What is the purpose of this mod?
    A1: Heiðinn Veðr is a mod designed to "teleport" the gamer back in time to the last years of the Viking Age and the beginning of the Chivalric Age and allow you to truly change history to your liking. Vikings became completely Christianized and stopped raiding? You can change that. Bulgaria was made a protectorate of the Eastern Roman Empire? You can change that. The Normans invaded England and the resident Anglo-Saxons? You can change that. History will be entirely up to you.

Q2: So this is not a historical mod?
    A2: It is not so simple. It is historical up to the point where the Mod begins. All faction areas are as close to dead-on-accurate as possible (besides the "fantasy" rebellion factions) and unit rosters will be accurate as well. No magic, voodoo or other such shenanigans. Germans will have Germans, Norse will have Norse, and besides a few elites, there will not be any fictional "super" units.

Q3: Why is Faction X in/not in the Faction list?
    A3: Quite frankly, the faction list has been edited MANY times and there has been much discussion about the list. If you believe there is a faction that is missing, you may P.M. me (Heathen Storm) and I will consider your suggestion fairly. There are still several slots open so we may add some if necessary. I tried to incorporate all of the truly powerful and active factions during the starting date. I do not want any emerging factions, or any clone factions.

Q4: What is the mod's starting/ending date? How many turns per year?
    A5: 968 A.D. There was not a whole lot of activity during this year, so I thought it would be a good starting date for all factions. It ends 200 years later, in 1168. At 2 turns per year, I thought that 400 turns would be more than enough for world domination.

Q5: What will the in-game specifics be like? How will the AI be?
    A5: Well at this point, I can't really tell you much about it. As we are in the planning stages right now, there are no scripts or plans for any of that. I can tell you, however, I want the AI to be challenging, but also reasonable. For example, I know in ALL of the Total wars so far the AI has been very un-diplomatic, even when they are getting an excellent deal. This will not be so in this mod (hopefully!!!).

Q6: Who is on your team?
    A6: Currently it is Svensk Viking, Gregory House, Voodoo chile and myself (Heathen Storm), along with several others who I think should be mentioned because of their outstanding help on research They are Konstantinos XI Palaiologos, Hrobatos, Whitecrow, and many others. I've got several friends who will be researching specific factions, and my cousin and I will be the mod "over seers" (you might call us leaders!) but as we both have next to no modding experience, it may be a little challenging. If you have any special talents you wish to donate, please feel free to PM me!!! All help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Q7: What is your overall progress on the mod?
    A7: Well.... I just started this project about two weeks ago so... this may be a little painful to see.
    Overall planning: Roughly 50%
    Skinning/Texturing Units: Probably about 10%
    Mapping: 10%
    Scripting/Text Editing: 0%

Q8: Will there be any special traits or ancilliaries?
    A8: If any of you have played the Rome: Total War mod Europa Barbarorum, you will know they have special traits when a faction leader conquers certain territories. A system not unlike this one will be included in the mod. Also, special faction specific ancilliaries will be included, such as Beowulf's sword Hrunting for the Danir, Harald Harfagri's crown for the Norse, the Brisengamen for the Sviariki, Cú Chulainn's spear for the Gaelic tribes, etc.

Q9: What does Heiðinn Veðr even mean???
    A9: In Old Norse, this means "Heathen Storm". Heidinn translaes to "of the heath", which later was used as a way to describe followers of the Old Gods - the men of the "non-Abrahamic faith". This mod is based around the fights between the faiths (mostly fictional of course).

These are all the questions I can think of... I may add more when I get some

SPECIAL GAMEPLAY TEASER
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The time is here to introduce my first actual gameplay teasers. This is how the Building system will work:
    Say the Norse faction takes the settlement of Jorvik (York). Upon taking it, they ransack and burn everything, leaving nothing behind. The people of York are restless, and unhappy with their new conquerers. The Norsemen must now subdue the population to ensure that they keep his new land. There are many paths to take:
    1) The Military path
    2) The Religious path
    3) The Financial path
    Well, to start off with, you must begin with a building called a Tool-smith. To construct buildings, hunt, and do other useful things, we must have basic tools. From a tool-smithy you may begin on each of the paths.

Let's begin with path #1, shall we? For Jorvik, you've decided to embark on the Military path. After the tool-shed has been constructed, it is time to build the Muster Field. The most basic level of Military training facilities, it is little more than a field where the men of the town may gather to practice warfare. Because of this, the only units you can train are basic peasent/levy units. Once this has been finished, you must build a trapper, to begin gaining skins to clothe your people - and warriors - in. After the settlement has been upgraded, it is time to build the next tier of buildings. From theMuster Field and Trapper, you may continue on or build new buildings. Fur Traders are the first required building of the next tier. A Hunter's Den, a place where experienced hunters can talk about their past trophies, is used for recruiting Hunters - the lowest level of Archer/Skirmisher. Or, a continuation of the Melee roster is also a possibility. Afer building your Fur Trader, you can now provide your men with thicker and stronger furs - maybe even leather armor. This allows you to train better units, with stronger armor, including the Leidangr Spjotmen. Next, you can build a Training Center, allowing you to train more advanced units. From then on, continue with your Blacksmith, Raiding Quarters, and so on.'

Mods that I am planning on Incorporating to this:

Wrath Of The Norsemen - Unused Units

Blood, Broads and Bastards 4.0

Complete Byzantine Unit Roster Project - Some units

MADTAO's Baltic: Total War (units for the Baltic tribal factions)

(Considering) units from Magyar Mod

Thank you for Viewing!! Stay tuned for updates!

Change Log

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Changed certain faction names, eliminated the Italian faction. Added several more factions.

Specific updates: Removed Faction "Regno d'Italia". Was not historical during this time.

Changed Kingdom of Spain to Kingdom of Leon. Historically accurate.

Changed Novgorod Rus' name to Garðaríki. Historically accurate in Old Norse.

Changed Bulgaria's name.... accidently left it in Hungarian Oops.

Changed Normandy's name: They were a Duchy, not a Kingdom (Yet)

Changed the Vatican's name... to Medieval usage, not Modern.

Changed Moravia's name. Was unaware the name put was in Greek!

Changed all of the Norse names to more realistic and historical names.

Added Polish faction.

Update 2

Updated Faction list - several changes made.

Began work on Faction descriptions

Added Faction Icons

Update 3

Removed "Spanish Marches" and Great Moravia...Not relavent during this period as GREAT MORAVIA HAD ALREADY COLLAPSED!

Also added Croatia to the faction list.

FIRST TRUE UPDATE

The Official FACTION MAP IS HERE!!!!!

Default Re: Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Reserved for previews.

Default Re: Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Reserved for more previews!