Thread: A request for the EB 2 mod team

Default A request for the EB 2 mod team

I have a request for the mod team. First of all, I love EB, the the only thing I didnt like about the mod is the unit names that you gave the units... and you change the cities. I can barely recognize ancient city names on the map.

So heres my request.... can you add an option in EB 2 to have english names only and not the native names? I know you provide both native and english names in EB, but I would like an optiion to have english names for units and towns... is this too much to ask?

Default Re: A request for the EB 2 mod team

We will probably have the option for units again but for cities it doesn't make much sense, most of them do not have alternate, more recognisable, "english" names, by which I assume you mean their Latin names.

We are including a script that changes the name of settlements depending on who conquers them, so if Kart Hadast, Syrakousai and Arse were taken by the Romans they would become Carthage, Syracuse and Saguntum.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    We are including a script that changes the name of settlements depending on who conquers them, so if Kart Hadast, Syrakousai and Arse were taken by the Romans they would become Carthage, Syracuse and Saguntum.
    WOW O.o

Impressive, is it only for cities that really were conquered by a faction or also translations thus when you conquer a city you get your factions name for this city?
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

You probably mean Carthago, Syracusae and Saguntum?
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

You've made my day
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Of course he does.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Actually I should have said it was, Carthago, Syracusa and Saguntum. (or at least thats how it is in the file, i'n no great scholar of latin)
    Last edited by bobbin; 09-01-2010 at 13:37.

Actually I should have said it was, Carthago, Syracusa and Saguntum. (or at least thats how it is in the file, i'n no great scholar of latin)
    I thought Syracuse was -ae, -arum, a pluralia tantum noun? like Athens... I'm not sure anymore tough . My latin is rusty as well... Even tough i start classes again in a month... But that's a realy great addition. How many changes are possible? For cities like Antiochia for example, that changed hands many many times

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    Impressive, is it only for cities that really were conquered by a faction or also translations thus when you conquer a city you get your factions name for this city?
    No, as long as we know the name a faction called a city it could be included, so you won't be seeing cities in britain changing to iranian names and so on.

I thought Syracuse was -ae, -arum, a pluralia tantum noun? like Athens... I'm not sure anymore tough . My latin is rusty as well... Even tough i start classes again in a month... But that's a realy great addition. How many changes are possible? For cities like Antiochia for example, that changed hands many many times
    My latin is non-existent so you could be right. AFAIK it is possible for each faction to have a different name for each settlement, although obviously we are not going to go anything like that far.

I should point out this is pretty low priortiy right now so I wouldn't get my hopes up about seeing it in the first release.

Anubis, I believe it's the same script that changes the names in the Americas campaign of M2TW:Kingdoms. However, I don't know how many possibilities there are with such a script.
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Ok thanks for the answers... I haven't really played M2TW since i started college and my laptop is to weak for it.

I understand that's not a priority. I'm just glad it's possibe

We will probably have the option for units again but for cities it doesn't make much sense, most of them do not have alternate, more recognisable, "english" names, by which I assume you mean their Latin names.

Does the RTW engine support unicode? If so, it is a pity that the Armenians did not have unicode native names. As for the EB II proposed script, do you have an ancient Armenian map or do you need one? (for the town names, needless to say) Likewise, I hope M2TW has unicode support (as the RTW version is a past and lost cause). For names not found on any maps of yours (if you have any) or those of mine, I'd recommend sticking with native names (if unicode-ready, I'd recommend transliterating into Armenian, easy as cake considering the language and alphabet; make sure you get an Eastern Armenian transliterator as that is nearer to Classical Armenian).
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

I Wonder when Pritannoi conquers Arse, what name could be given? A**?

nice things! that way we could roleplay even in deeper sense!!!

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Does the RTW engine support unicode? If so, it is a pity that the Armenians did not have unicode native names. As for the EB II proposed script, do you have an ancient Armenian map or do you need one? (for the town names, needless to say) Likewise, I hope M2TW has unicode support (as the RTW version is a past and lost cause). For names not found on any maps of yours (if you have any) or those of mine, I'd recommend sticking with native names (if unicode-ready, I'd recommend transliterating into Armenian, easy as cake considering the language and alphabet; make sure you get an Eastern Armenian transliterator as that is nearer to Classical Armenian).
    For both engines the characters they support depend on the fonts they use, and by default it uses a UTF-16LE scheme without surrogate pairs. But we will not be using the Armenian alphabet I think: we've had some debate on the internal forums as to what characters we should support and there seems to some consensus for keeping the list simple as there will always be two points:
    (1) Are the people who read the descriptions actually able to decipher those symbols anyway?
    (2) There always will be the issue: why that alphabet and not this one? Can I have my favourite script or script-of-the-day, too?

Instead we'll probably favour an approach that sticks to the Latin alphabet. This would apply to the mod itself, for companion material we may decide otherwise.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Hey, can we get back to my original question please? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    Hey, can we get back to my original question please? ;)
    I answered it in the second post.

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    I'd recommend transliterating into Armenian, easy as cake considering the language and alphabet; make sure you get an Eastern Armenian transliterator as that is nearer to Classical Armenian).
    Do you mean using the armenian alphabet? From what I understand it was invented hundreds of years after EBs timeframe and so it wouldn't make sense to include it (on top of what Tellos has already said).

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Instead we'll probably favour an approach that sticks to the Latin alphabet. This would apply to the mod itself, for companion material we may decide otherwise.
    In that case I look forward to reading more Armenian text in the Latin alphabet assuming you find the proper town names.
    Do you mean using the armenian alphabet? From what I understand it was invented hundreds of years after EBs timeframe and so it wouldn't make sense to include it (on top of what Tellos has already said).
    Armenian*. Not an issue, just thought it might have been part of the to-do list for the dev team, to have bells and whistles like that.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)