Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Org could better serve the needs of MP players,Clans and the MP community?

Default Re: How Org could better serve the needs of MP players,Clans and the MP community?

Dont worry worry about competing with the twc for the multiplayers they dont make any effort at all for multiplayer, simply bringing up a thread asking for a shogun 2 multiplayer forum brings the single player trolls on that site sniffing around. TWC is a single player dominated site and is popular because of mods and quite rightly so as the effort they put into supporting modders was immense. Go logon there any time and you will see 130 people in the Third age totalwar forum. Ive seen that some admin staff at the TWC got an interview with CA about the campaign. Maybe the org staff should be pushing for the multiplayer preview/interview.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Default Re: How Org could better serve the needs of MP players,Clans and the MP community?

Also with regards to tournaments, most tournaments are run through clan sites now, so get the active clans on board then in future perhaps host the tournaments here. Get links up to their sites and tournaments then in future once bridges are built we can get some org hosted tournaments maybe with tools people are talking about here (sounds just like a spreadsheet btw).

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Blog Entries

Many of us stopped once Rome came out, so actual its obvious, that many of us didnt like the games after MTW. Nothing bad about, if someone like something you dont like, than you have differences, thats logical.
    You can be nice to each other and still have a different opinion about a certain matter.

Elitist behavior i hardly see here on this forum.

I dont see a single problem to push the Org, thats easy done and could have been done years ago.
    I remember our Clancampaign, with this selfmade rules, countries and so on, this could also be a nice way to make it attractive. With a moderator and turns to play it on.

I suggest .Org gets in contact with CA for an interview-alike thing.... or we present them our summarized wishlist and they answer if the addition will made, or is already part of the release or not...
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Should set a up poll for our wishlist Maygar so we can summarize it better.

With regards to an interview, I am figuring, i.e. making an assumption, that we may only get one shot at an interview. Because of that assumption, I personally would rather get an interview later down the road once game details are better defined. As for the wishlist, the sooner the better. I would love it if CA would give us a rep like GilJaysmith who was very active here during the development of...RTW? I'll see what we can do about that.
    This space intentionally left blank

I'd completely agree with someone from the Org staff taking up the combined wish list and presenting it to CA in an official manner. Give it some pomp with lots of newsposts and flashy bling :-)

The Order of Kenchikuka

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh So View Post
    Maybe the org staff should be pushing for the multiplayer preview/interview.
    I like this idea. We'll contact CA and see what's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Magyar Khan
    I suggest .Org gets in contact with CA for an interview-alike thing.... or we present them our summarized wishlist and they answer if the addition will made, or is already part of the release or not...
    Does something along the lines of "10 questions from the MP community" as a basis for the interview sounds good?
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

yes andres that would be great but you would probably have to let ca select the questions from the list or we end up with 10 things theyre not willing to discuss yet as still in development.
    Our questions will be quite in depth and CA will know this so best let them choose form a larger list the ones they comfortable with, i remember seeing an interview for rome totalwar where the guy asked ca will multiplayer be in rome totalwar? EPIC fail. The essential question tho is will there be a fully functional chat foyer where all players online are listed and the community is auto logged into to chat?
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 09-15-2010 at 19:12.

Buddha

i suggest that they could pick 5 points of our list every month and tell something about it....

please org get CA towards our wishlist thread....

Magy ive no doubt CA have seen it whether they agree or not with the ideas presented or even if theyre willing to discuss them is another matter.

Buddha

CA told us they would be taking a look at this forum. How much they are willing to participate any discussions is not known as of yet.
    This space intentionally left blank

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magyar Khan View Post
    please org get CA towards our wishlist thread....
    Remember, you may want to talk with CA, but CA may not want to talk with you (right now anyhow).

CA has had a large presence in the Org of lately. We have atleast three of them including the lead designer looking at our humble dwellings and giving answers to our questions here and then. I wouldnt be amazed to see them also commenting these issues when they are ready. This is a big positive difference compared to the development of some earlier titles.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 10-24-2010 at 11:45.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Blog Entries

All we can do is.... wait for them to start posting more Kage.

As this has been an ongoing thread I scanned most of the 3 pages, fairly quick, but I didnt see anything about a steam operation. As Shogun2 will be through steam is there a Steam profile for the .org? If so im not aware, but if there isnt then you can invite all active players that participate in discussion here at the .org. With this everyone can see who is online or offline, and then schedule events. you can schedule friendly games set dates, clan vs clan dates. All in friendly appetite. Obviously you can do this here at the .org but just the 2nd option of another .org home to go to, could help in the MP community. And allways tournaments brings good people together. A good example clan hunter scheduled a clan practice for a weekend Aggony volunteered to participate for the fun. I acted as representative for Aggony as i was that day, and in the end I heard from my clan mates that it went well and a good amount of games were played that hour scheduled by the Hunter clan :) It helped in relations with Clan hunter and to this day we still have good fun games afterwards :)
    I obey the rose.

Honour and Friendship

Blog Entries

.Org should do more of a PR campgain when the time comes to bring more people, MP and SP, in.

<code>ninja</code> Clan Nikodil's Avatar

Start an open steam group for TW MP. Promote it heavily. Market it as the official .org MP chat channel (instead of IRC). Lobby with the several thousands or so other total war steam groups to join and/or merge with it. Will solve the missing chat lobby problem.

[EDIT]

Now CA has announced that there will be a lobby, which will probably be a better solution than using steam chat. But I still think using steam could be valuable as a community tool, for news announcement, chat (instead of irc), etc.
    Last edited by Nikodil; 12-20-2010 at 22:40.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyElmo2 View Post
    I'm 48. Magy I tell you what . . . . . I will hold that youngster Kocmoc while you kick him in the shins! :) We'll show him to pick on us old men!
    count me in elmo hehe
    I beat ya all just about to turn 50 :)
    Last edited by Jun; 03-03-2011 at 21:55.
    UglyJun
    never born never died 黒い山

[QUOTE=UglyElmo2;2053206892]
    What I envision is a 2v2, 3v3, and a 4v4 team, or possibly several depending on interest. It could consist of a team of newbies, a team of average players, a team of better than average players, and a team of expert players. Maybe an expert team of newer players and one of "Ancients", or a ModSquad team (Who wouldn't want to beat up on mods/admins!!!).

The "Borgs" teams could be promoted in all the other forums as accepting all challengers. Veteran players could challenge the elite "Borgs" team to see their skill level. New players could ask questions of the "Borgs" to learn more about why they lost. As long as those chosen as "Borgs" are willing to help players improve their skills, it could work. My Ugli community did that very thing for awhile and we were able to almost double our membership because of it. The players saw how we were not only fairly decent at the game, but a lot of fun to play with.]

Awesome idea again you can count me in, but don't fall asleep on your Hill ok :)
    by the way where is that old Ugli Obake?
    Last edited by Jun; 03-04-2011 at 02:00.
    UglyJun

Blog Entries

Well, I worry a bit about new player, player who never touched the MP-part of TW.
    From what i have seen so far, the game has many mechanics hidden and some are very hard to understand.
    If your completely new, you have tons of stuff hidden your brain, alone the moral is some unique thing in a game.

What I could imagine is, to create replays, either as real replay in game or on youtube with fraps.
    To create a step by step workshop for new player. It could look like this:

1. How to setup your army, getting some good setup
    2. How to create grps and set the different units - ctrl + 1-9 and F* keys
    3. What are the different formations - open formation, why are missles in low ranks?!?
    4. How flanking works, how rear works
    5. show the flags and what info you can get....

.... and so on.

We could create different replays and show easy how something is done an what certain things mean.
    Alone the fact of the general, the difference .... there is a lot.

In the first place, it would draw people to the org, it would get used and it could be some valuable recourse.
    It also could prevent new people to leave the game early again, since they dont stand a chance online.

Kocmoc :)
    i like to help you with that will be fun :) could even fraps it !!!
    UglyJun

Blog Entries

I posted a VI MP battle I did with Barocca up on YouTube, so we can do this me thinks .

Making the transition to multiplayer in TW games is difficult indeed and it has a steep learning curve both in terms of psychology as well as in terms of skill.

There are a number of ways to aid this;

1. Battle video commentaries in which army selection, main army component elements (melee infantry/spears/cavalry/missiles) and their correct/wrong uses are discussed relative to the engine workings.
    A good example of this are videos like those of Cluny the Scourge for RTW - his comentaries are pretty good for that game, but also for TW in general to a certain level (they won't help most people in this thread but may help new players) and people coming into the game can learn by seeing them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuJX...eature=related

2. Written guides, like the one St Louis de Colombe had made for MTW/VI and is still here in the org (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...or-Multiplayer). Its outdated of course about money levels, army selection etc, but its still relevant in describing the 3 basic phases of an mp battle, that is missile skirmish/melee phase degenerating into skirmishes (if opponents of equal skill)/depleted units regroup end game, as well as discussing to some extent how army selection can be loaded to achieve a certain battle plan (more melee infantry=rush army ie avoid shootout altogether and go straight for the kill, more missiles=win shootout so avoid engaging too quickly to weaken enemy with missiles, more cavalry=aiming to harass missile line during shootout to tip the missile duel and/or flank locally or globally during the main melee).

The same can be done in writing/discussing the basics of team tactics/strategies; ie how 1v1 is different to 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 respectively.

For example, in 2v2 the distances between allied armies are so small that the two armies can fight litteraly as 1 and there is little space for double teaming unless you are facing very inexperienced/new players.

In 3v3 space between armies is bigger and double teaming tactics work especially if the terrain has features that aid to this (large unpassable rock in the middle of one team side, say).

Its important also for new players to know that this (double teaming) is the dominant tactic and also how to counter it - ie you need to compress enough in order to mesh with your center team mate but not too much because you both may take massive casualties if the opposition shifts to shooting the massed formations OR you may act as an anvil for your centre teammate by setting melee units to hold formation, missiles behind to avoid them being picked off by cavalry but also add to numbers and so avoid rout by local outnumbering due to the double team and so enable your centre teammate to hammer by hitting the double teamers in the flank.

In 4v4 knowing how to do/deal with double teams is even more important as distances between armies are so large that local superiorities/double teams at the flanks are even more easy to pull off.

Also the importance of how to play according to which side in the battle line people take/appear ie a player that plays center in a 3v3 team game should be an experienced player/leader and should dictate the pace/plan/strategy of his team because his army can reach either flanks andall the major decisions are practically his.

3. (and this probably the most important one:) Learning by regularly playing on a conistent basis with a regular group of people one can suit in. Obviously clans are the best such group of people, but there is no reason why less "coloured" groups be organised by members of various clans. This is the most effective way, because unless you go through the experience yourself you can't really learn by just watching others play or by just reading guides and posts. If however you do ply consistently, then reading can help very much as you can relate what you read to what you experience every week/day. Esecially at first that there is a need to deal with repeatedly being beaten and make mistakes, a sense of acceptance and belonging is key. Such relationships are partially "random" and "chemistry" - certain people will match with some and not so much with others due to temperament and character, but its important that theoverall spirit of the communnity is tolerant, friendly and humorous to a certain degree.

The keys are companionship, fairness and regularity. If people feel comfortable, they are treated properly, are having fun and find common interest they will take root - otherwise they will never last the long and snaggy process for mastering the game, and let's say things as they are: TW mp can be tremendoulsy fun after you know what you are doing, why you are winning and why you are losing, and this may take (depending on how often and how much you play) from 2 months to 6 months :)

Also important is to mesh new/inexperienced players with more experienced players in non-competitive team games. In that way there can be in-battle assistance and learning on the spot and games are more interesting overall for all participants - if on the other hands you let the noobs team up and just get trashed all the while, the vets get eventually no(?) satisfaction and the noobs don't know what hit them, so become dissapointed and leave and that's it.

4. As outdated as they may be, engine workings revealed for MTW by CA may also help. I am certain that bonuses may have changed and that the engine is somewhat different, but not that different that the then information at principle level is obsolete as it is fundamentally the same principles/workings even if the numbers aren't exaclty the same.

Here are the morale TW engine workings from MTW/VI:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Morale States:
    --------------

Impetuous: 10 and above
    Steady: 2 to 14
    Uncertain: -5 to 5
    Wavering: -14 to -5
    Routing: Less than -6

Rout point is -18 in MTW/VI for MP.
    Routed units will keep routing until their morale rises to -6 or above.
    Hitting the rally key pumps +8 morale into the unit.

Impetuous units will pursue enemies for longer, and may disregard orders to hold position. #Some troop types may charge without orders.

Uncertain or wavering units which are not fighting are less likely to charge, and those who are fighting are more likely to fall back.

Negative Morale Effects:
    -----------------------

Loose or disordered formation: -2
    Outnumbered 2 to 1: up to -4 (range = about 75 meters)
    Outnumbered 10 to 1: up to -12 (range = about 75 meters)
    Outclassed in quality and speed: modifies the outnumbered penalty.
    One flank threatened: -2 (range = about 60 meters)
    Two flanks threatened: -6 (range = about 60 meters
    Charged in flank: -4
    Infantry charged by cavalry in flank or while disordered: -6
    Charged in flank by unit hidden in forest: -8
    General's death (for first few seconds): -8 to all his units except highly disciplined units
    General's death (after first few seconds): -2 to all his units except highly disciplined units
    Routing Friends: up to -12 for seeing 2 equal or higher level friendly units routing. #Elite and disciplined units consider lesser types as 1/2 a unit for this calculation.
    10% of unit is dead: -2
    50% of unit is dead: -8
    80% of unit is dead: -12
    Taking casualties from enemy missle fire: -2 for a duration less than the reload of the firing unit (additional -4 for gunpowder weapons)
    Unit is very tired: -2
    Unit is exhausted: -6
    Unit is totally exhausted: -8
    Losing: Up to -8 (up to -14 if losing to cavalry)
    Skirmishing without ammo: -6
    Skirmisher pursued for a long distance by equal speed unit: -6

Positive Morale Effects:
    ----------------------

Two flanks protected: +4
    No retreat possible (usually castle sieges): +8
    No enemies around: +4
    Two enemies routing: up to +8
    Uphill Position: +2
    Winning: up to +6
    Unordered charge: +4 (such as when impetuous knights charge automatically)
    Outnumber Enemy 3 to 1: +4
    General's unit: +2
    Within 50 meters of general: +1 morale per command star
    Beyond 50 meters from general: +1 morale per 2 command stars

5. And of course that the gameplay is actually enjoyable and allows for a continual rotation of different army styles without too many artificial rules and restrictions and that an appropriate money level (that accounts for upgrades and morale levels) is selected. For the first, there is nothing or little to be done as its up to the developer. The second however rests with the community. In general, there is an optimal or quasi-optimal level of money the game is played at for balance purposes.

This is because if too much money is used units become unroutable and the match up relationships are skewed to the point that unit selection/upgrades/flanking only are the determining gameplay factors. If on the other hand too little money is there can be no significant end game as depleted battle-fatigued units after the main melee can't fight it out and outnumbering penlties in large team games may give insta routs in double teams and prevent having time for succesful counter maneuvers which means the game is more of a first-come-first-served type of gameplay with the initiative overexagerated resulting in rush moves/strategies dominating.
    Last edited by gollum; 03-08-2011 at 18:11.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

These are very nice suggestions, Kocmoc, Jun and Gollum.
    Let me know if I can do anything to help - even if it is just beeing your guinee pig noob to try our your teaching and tutoring ... ;)

<code>ninja</code> Clan Nikodil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post

3. (and this probably the most important one:) Learning by regularly playing on a conistent basis with a regular group of people one can suit in. Obviously clans are the best such group of people, but there is no reason why less "coloured" groups be organised by members of various clans. This is the most effective way, because unless you go through the experience yourself you can't really learn by just watching others play or by just reading guides and posts. If however you do ply consistently, then reading can help very much as you can relate what you read to what you experience every week/day. Esecially at first that there is a need to deal with repeatedly being beaten and make mistakes, a sense of acceptance and belonging is key. Such relationships are partially "random" and "chemistry" - certain people will match with some and not so much with others due to temperament and character, but its important that theoverall spirit of the communnity is tolerant, friendly and humorous to a certain degree.

The keys are companionship, fairness and regularity. If people feel comfortable, they are treated properly, are having fun and find common interest they will take root - otherwise they will never last the long and snaggy process for mastering the game, and let's say things as they are: TW mp can be tremendoulsy fun after you know what you are doing, why you are winning and why you are losing, and this may take (depending on how often and how much you play) from 2 months to 6 months :)

Also important is to mesh new/inexperienced players with more experienced players in non-competitive team games. In that way there can be in-battle assistance and learning on the spot and games are more interesting overall for all participants - if on the other hands you let the noobs team up and just get trashed all the while, the vets get eventually no(?) satisfaction and the noobs don't know what hit them, so become dissapointed and leave and that's it.
    I'm thinking about these ideas about training. How about setting up a Dojo?

The purpose would primarily be tactical training, organized similar to that of clans, but open for all to join. Training sessions could be tailored to focused on a single tactical aspect, say how to use bows or cavs, there could be kata-like performance excercises, or more free form sparring sessions.

A Dojo could provide the same benefits as clans for both new players (but with a very low barrier of entry, basically just a stream group) as well as more experienced players, there's always room for sharpening techniques and learning by teaching.

Mate.that is excellent,it would be good to upload your replyas on this site,that would really do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blutzeit View Post
    I'm thinking about these ideas about training. How about setting up a Dojo?

The purpose would primarily be tactical training, organized similar to that of clans, but open for all to join. Training sessions could be tailored to focused on a single tactical aspect, say how to use bows or cavs, there could be kata-like performance excercises, or more free form sparring sessions.

A Dojo could provide the same benefits as clans for both new players (but with a very low barrier of entry, basically just a stream group) as well as more experienced players, there's always room for sharpening techniques and learning by teaching.
    That could very well help the newer MP players out mate.

Let me summarise my hasty appraisal and apologise in advance if i've missed the mark. I also have little understanding of the leadership structure here.

totalwar.org

Strengths:

- One of the oldest total war fansites, complete with over a decade of history
    - Links to CA, however I'm not in a position to say how strong or broken down these are
    - Existing (largely) mature community, with many skilled individuals willing to help
    - 2nd fansite listed on a search for 'total war' (although description isn't effective : simply the first sentence of blog post)

Weaknesses

- Appears isolated from the large influx of new players
    - Existing community / memories retain current community. There is little pull (as identified in this thread) to bring new players here.

Threats

- Totalwar.com has it's own multiplayer forum, the new multiplayer community will naturally be pulled towards that. The forum also has the benefit of CA employee replies
    - Lots of other fansites / clan sites will no doubt be springing up, as the hype around S2 seems considerable. Failing to push the org forward will see it buried in obscurity
    - Migration of existing community towards new emerging forums which have more content / relevant discussion

Opportunities (what can be done)

- With lots of new players emerging, it would be helpful to create a 'pull' towards the org to avoid it becoming stagnant with an existing community. Gollum, Kocmoc and others had some great posts on how to do that, so I won't go over what exact content could be created. However it's not enough for this content to simply exist, it somehow needs to be marketed. Initially this presents itself in my mind as greater integration/partnership with CA. Why? :

- CA will obviously want their forums to be popular, but will also recognise the need for fansite communities for S2 to survive until they release to next in the series
    - CA will (or should) view the org as a success story. It's stuck around for the entire TW series length. S2 represents success for CA in 10 years of gameplay and I'm sure they would want to recognise sites that have helped them along this journey

Regardless of support from CA, the following would be helpful:

.Org Youtube Channel

- Footage of key fights from high-esteemed players. There is a huge following of live streams/replays of SC2 games, although S2 isn't seen to be an e-sport in the same light as SC2, there is no reason why people wouldn't be interested in watching some high profile e.g tournaments games. This leads me onto my next points:

- Commentaries on tactics, fights, army selection etc. Again this would have to be from players with credentials.

- There are lots more potential ideas for video content here, I'm not a very creative person so I'll hang this one out there for others.

.Org Thread on official forums

- Hopefully this would be allowed (even stickied) by CA as essentially it's creating content/marketing/community for their own game.

- Thread would primarily act as a linking device for letting people know what content has recently been uploaded onto the org. It would have to be supported by the existing .org community on the official forums.

.Org networking

- I'm not entire sure what I mean by this, however I'm confident there are opportunities to represent the org either on steam, or ingame in the multiplayer foyer.

- Could be in the form of 'challenge an org member' or 'lesson from org member'. This is assuming that the org has some higher profile / high ranked players that people would be interested in.

Now this is all potential a lot of work, and would be dependent on just how much people want to push this site. I think it's all rather realistic though, especially if links with CA are already existing.
    Last edited by Succi; 03-11-2011 at 16:13.
    out4blood / MaskedTerror

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast