Thread: The Most Important Thing In Multiplayer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Default The Most Important Thing In Multiplayer - A Request for CA

(Hoping I can get a sticky on this right away, as this is a very serious subject.)

No matter how good or bad the game or the players are, the most important thing in multiplayer is a quality connection. Without that connection, nothing else matters. If the game is laggy, or players drop, you might as well take on the AI in a single player game.

We now have a tri-color, tri-level, “Connection” meter on the Battle List screen. This can tell you about the host’s connection. I am not sure what exactly we are looking at there, but stay away from hosts with any red bars, am cautious about yellow bars, and always happy to see green bars.

Now that is all well and good, giving you some advanced notice on the potential of a host to be able to sustain the number of players at the army size proposed. But there is no way in the game for the host to be able to analyze the connection suitability of the “players” joining their game.

I am assuming that the host meter is measuring ping between the host and their local Steam communications server. And believe that when different people join their game, the impact on that connection is visible on the Battle List screen. Of course the problem here is that the host can no longer see that meter to have any clue as to how much ping “weight” he may be being asked to carry.

It would be great if this same meter was available in the Army Set Up, to see who might have to be eliminated from the current line up. But even better yet would be a “host to player ping meter” of sorts, as this is the way I believe that the game will be functionally handled, with the host becoming the server for the actual games processing.

Something needs to be done “before” we all venture into Shogun2, as the lag and eventual drops are on the verge of ruining the multiplayer we have now in Napoleon for many players.

This is not reinventing anything, just giving us a tool that is desperately needed!

Thanks for your attention.

Any players who understand the problem, and can add their voice to this request, please do so.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Tomisama; 09-06-2010 at 15:48. Reason: minor revisions
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Most Important Thing In Multiplayer

I support this Tomisama. I usually hate it when I get drop, because of Steam or due to a bad connection because of a host.

i smell a good idea for the wishlist....
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Wasted another 2 hours the day before yesterday with 3 false game starts.

Two because of unplayable lag, and one because of a single lame player who quit in the first 5 minutes, dumping on the other seven players in the game.

These two problems are now at epidemic proportions in our community.

Little can be done about the bad manors of a particular player, but a pregame lag detection monitor is something doable, and is still the most critical improvement needed.

Bump!
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Blog Entries

Well, how on earth we did play in STW with 56k modems? 4v4 was hard, but 3v3 was mostly good and smooth.
    1v1 and 2v2 wasnt a problem at all.

Discs was very rare those times. Why there is such a big problem today? Im not a programmer, someone might explain this plz to me.

And yes, i agree with that point. But i would like to mention that, if the game is crap, you dont need a connection at all, since you wont play it anyway!
    So in the first place, the game itself has to be good, to be of any interest to play it.

smooth MPenvironment + flawless gameplay = best TW ever
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    Discs was very rare those times. Why there is such a big problem today? Im not a programmer, someone might explain this plz to me.
    Something I have been noticing in my field of work. Nowadays very few programmers actually know much about how networks / internet connections (using simple terms) actually work. Dunno why, but this specific knowledge is slowly dissapearing. It is apparantly not taught at school anymore (based on interims(sp?) we get and such) for some reason. Maybe it is because everything is set automatically thanks to dhcp and people and teachers assume it works anyways. Same thing is happening with how pcs actually work. Haven't met an interrim yet who could explain that to me.

Now your average coder doesnt need to know that stuff, but if a good cisco programmar for example cannot get his stuff working because he doesn't understand the IP part very well, I am slightly worried. Then again, nowadays there is so many things to know, maybe it is simply not possible anymore to know everything about every aspect.

Anyways why there is less stability. One huge difference perhaps is that we as whole have started to use internet much more heavier with much more people compared to a decade ago.