Thread: Unusual Romaoi CTD

Default Unusual Romaoi CTD

First let me say thank-you to everyone who has created and maintained this game. The attention to historical detail makes me giddy. :D

I have never been able to get more than halfway through a campaign of any variety in this game due to CTDs and so leave off playing for half a year at a time before trying a new campaign. I have learned the best way to circumvent CTDs is through having multiple savegame files. And so, I started a Roman campaign recently, and have been able to get through the CTDs in this manner.

I have already checked the following FAQ, but neither of the solutions seem to apply to me exactly, and so have not attempted them:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...ng-around-them

I also will try my best to follow this guide:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...p-with-a-crash

What happened was, I decided to load my previous turn's savegame, so I could move one of my forgotten armies in a different direction.

When I tried to load the file, "Roma", immediately I got a pop-up for "Caputed Settlement... Ariminum... Occupy, Expel, Enslave. Which doesn't make any sense, because I have held Ariminum since the beginning of the game, and it has never been under siege by anyone. But what's worse is, that when I try to load Autosave, or either of my two other older backup savegames, I still get the popup that I somehow captured Ariminum, and whatever option I choose to bring upon the city results in a CTD.

Screenshot:

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y2..._radz/fail.jpg

Savegame:

http://ul.to/5dgran

Now, per the guidelines:

I have a fresh version of EB 1.2 from Vanilla RTW, and have no other mods, and have not attempted to modify anything. I also have the permanent fixes installed. I of course do not have the opportunity to reactivate the background script since nothing can be clicked on with the Settlement Captured screen up. Yes, I have tried about eight times to load these savegames.

I am not sure if relating what is going on in campaign will be very helpful considering the nature of my crash. It is evident by the screenshot that many things are happening right now as I attempt to finish off the smaller factions so I can adequately fight the difficult Seleukid Empire.

The year is 196 BC. None of my territories are at risk of rebellion, and none of them are under siege. The turn previous to these two, I broke yet another Seleukid siege of Byzantion. Two turns before that, I took Oxtraca. A turn or two before that, I was kicked out of Swebotraustastamnoz due to rebellion. I have noticed this glitch in EB but it also used to happen in unmodded RTW as well, that sometimes a city that you are laying siege to will fall in your hands on the last day of the siege, without the defenders sallying, and yet also without bringing up the Settlement Captured scroll... that has never accompanied a CTD though, nor does it seem to now as many turns previous as it was. So I didn't get to choose what to do with the Sweboz denizens and therefore the rebellious population was too large; which I therefore began to lay siege to again. Again, that was never a problem before and I assume it's unrelated. It's the only town I currently have under siege, and I think 4 of the 7 turns on it are remaining.

I'll do the process monitor or installation validation if need be, but I don't see that being necessary because we can see that the CTD has something to do with this mysterious Ariminum Captured scroll.

I will check here later if there are further questions or details needed. Thank-you.
    Last edited by Citizen Swooboo; 09-10-2010 at 05:02. Reason: to include URL tags

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: Unusual Romaoi CTD

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for this detailed report. I think the problem is related due to the fact that you reloaded a save which was directly made before the turn ends, similar to the autosave-function of RTW.
    I'll see if I can load your files on my build, this will take until Sunday (GMT) as my PC is at the moment at my girlfriends place.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Is saving before the End Turn historically that unstabilizing? I do that quite often because it lets me reload when the End Turn crashes. I never thought that it could actually provoke a crash. Ugh. At least that is something I can avoid in the future. I was just looking at the work on EB2 and am quite impressed. I wish I was in a place where I could help... but later, perhaps. Okay I will wait to hear from you later and go start a new Medieval 2 campaign now that I am inspired.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Bad news. It crashes exact the same way you described.
    There is one last possible way that I'll try, I have to change some things in my builds, meaning that can take a day or two, I'll repost with the results.

IMO the script hung itself up while you were loading your save, that happens very, very seldom, but that won't be comfort to you.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Unfortunately I am used to it. Thanks for checking though. I started a Sarmatian campaign, and after the third day of playing I am finally out of debt, haha.