Thread: Can another roman faction get outlawed by the senate?

Default Can another roman faction get outlawed by the senate?

I'm playing through as Julii and have held back a lot, sticking to 20 regions or less, hoping that another roman faction (then brutii most likely) will anger the senate, I can attack them and ean the senate's gratitue for dealing with the rebels, then march on rome in ntriumph before burning the city to the ground and proclaiming myself emperor, fun no?

Is it possible? Is it hardcoded for just me to get outlawed?
    I was trying to find some help in the ancient military journals of General Tacticus, who's intelligent campaigning had been so successful that he'd lent his very name to the detailed prosecution of martial endeavour, and had actually found a section headed "What To Do If One Army Occupies A Well-Fortified And Superior Ground And The Other Does Not", but since the first sentence read "Endeavour to be the one inside" I'd rather lost heart.

Vote: Sasaki Member ByzantineKnight's Avatar

Default Re: Can another roman faction get outlawed by the senate?

Um... Back before all the patches came out I read a bunch of threads where the Roman's alliances would get tangled up (Scipii allying with the Gauls, etc...) and that would sometimes lead to Civil War...

I would keep track of their popularity with the senate, thats the best indicator :)
    As far as getting outlawed, the senate always loved me up until I had a good sized empire (30-40 regions) so it might take them a while to get powerful enough for it to matter.

If you really want to start a civil war, send spies and assassins and stuff to either goad the Brutii to attack you or if you try to assassinate the Roman Senate it probably wont take long for a war to break out ;)

Its probably still possible (I don't see why it wouldn't be) but it will take a long time, the AI expands so slow
    RIP Tosa, I can't believe you are gone, but we will never forget you

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sociopsychoactive View Post
    I'm playing through as Julii and have held back a lot, sticking to 20 regions or less, hoping that another roman faction (then brutii most likely) will anger the senate, I can attack them and ean the senate's gratitue for dealing with the rebels, then march on rome in ntriumph before burning the city to the ground and proclaiming myself emperor, fun no?

Is it possible? Is it hardcoded for just me to get outlawed?
    I've never seen a game where the Senate outlawed another Roman faction before it outlawed the one I was playing with. Indeed, the Senate will outlaw all of the Roman factions once the Civil War starts. I believe it is hardcoded into the logic. But the Civil War starts when your Roman faction gets outlawed.

I usually try to time my start of the Civil War. The Senate will start to feel alienated by your military successes and expanded empire somewhere around the time you've captured 25-35 regions. Once you've reached that point in the game, you should start building up armies so you can deal with both the Senate and your rival Roman factions once you force the Civil War. Of course, you can't seize that initiative until the game offers you "A Chance For Power". And you won't get that offer until your popularity with the people reaches a certain threshold point. Once you reach that threshold and get offered the 'Chance for Power," and you've decided you're ready for the Civil War, send a diplomat to Rome and formally break your alliance. You want to avoid violating a standing alliance thus destroying your chances of making alliances with other non-Roman factions still in the game.

Certainly, you can use spies and assassins to provoke the other Roman factions before the Civil War. But usually all that accomplishes is making them unfriendly. They may break off their alliance with you and deny you transit privileges thru their territory. They might even send lots of armies - big and small - to hang out in your provinces blocking roads and bridges and being a general nuisance. That happened to me once when I was still learning the game. I sent a spy into a Brutii City when I was playing the Julii. The spy got caught and the Brutii cancelled their alliance with me. I never was able to get it restored.

Of course, I've never tried to repeatedly provoke the Senate with spies and assassins to get them to outlaw me before the Chance For Power offer. If you succeed in getting outlawed by the Senate that way, share your story with us. My guess is though, all you'll succeed in doing is getting your alliance with the Senate cancelled without actually provoking open war.
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

It is virtually impossible to be outlawed by the senate, when i was julii I never did anything they wanted me to do and then my popularity ith them seemed to go up, even when I was holding my regions back and not growing any more.

The masses loved me to, just try to do everything the Senate doesn't want you to do and see if it works.

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Nothing to add, except:
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyus Germanicus View Post
    Indeed, the Senate will outlaw all of the Roman factions once the Civil War starts.
    I don't think that has ever happened in my Roman games, the Senate typically outlaws only my faction.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

i would add my oppinion on what Guyus Germanicus and ByzantineKnight said. your military might does not matters that much. what matters is 1.number of cities you own (35 cities or so, i don't remember exact number). OR, 2.public support(you can see it next to senate missions page). when people like you too much senate fears that you may attack and take the power so they demand to kill your family member each turn or else they will outlaw you.

last 3 days im trying to reach that condition without having to get public support or big amount of cities. sent 9armies onto italian soil sent swarm of spies assasins and diplomats to bribe their armies so on... nothing helped. by the way you may bribe many ally armies they will join you.if ally is weak he's bordering enemies will weaken it significantly. that will do good for you if you look into a far perspective since during civil war your allies become your enemies. THEN! i bribed local government (governor was not inside ) of city of Caralis. Rome was so unpleasant that they demanded return of the city or else they threatened me by getting outlawed in 10 turns. waited all that time and on last turn game gets error and im getting thrown onto desktop :((((((( then returned the city and everything continued fine. so here is the trick, find a city without governor or asasinate the governor and then bribe the city.nobody will start a war with you since you haven't officially attacked anyone. but senate will get angry. if somebody gets passed through that glitch please share.

I see it is an old post, but I have never known the Senate to outlaw the other Romans after I go to war, just looking for some clarification. Does violating an alliance really hurt your ability to make alliances with others? Does not work that way for the AI, of course. I have had a ceasefire as the Brutii with the Julii once after the civil war started, but I think it is hardcoded for war even if they agree to a ceasefire, I would always be at war with them automatically at the end of the turn.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

but I think it is hardcoded for war even if they agree to a ceasefire, I would always be at war with them automatically at the end of the turn.
    That is the case. Civil war will not end until you eliminate the other Roman factions.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    That is the case. Civil war will not end until you eliminate the other Roman factions.
    OK, I'm new to this (and have yet to finish a game - first my hard drive died, then my campaign game just disappeared during the civil war - it would not nor would load highlight) but won't the civil war end when you take Rome and have at least 50 provinces?

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Yes, the civil war would be over...but then so would your campaign
    High Plains Drifter

So I can definitively say yes, another faction can get outlawed by the Senate. I have seen it twice, now, both in Julii campaigns, and both times the Scipii were the perpetrators. The first time they attacked me, and the Senate outlawed all of us. The second time the Scipii attacked the Brutii at Thermon. The Senate declared us outlaws, but gave me a mission to attack the Scipii, and another to attack the Brutii. The penalty for not hitting the Scipii was being outlawed (which they had already done to me), and if I did not attack the Brutii, I would be investigated. I attacked both, and the Senate thanked me. Their diplomatic stance to me was neutral after that, so it may have been possible to get back into their good graces. I kind of tired of that campaign, the Brutii started attacking me up north with Praetorian Cohort, and all I had was ELC, and my finances were starting to tank, so I switched back to an old Greek campaign of mine.

Of course, if I attack first, I am outlawed. That is something I will have to try, when I am ready to start the war attack another faction to force the Senate to outlaw them, instead of attacking the Senate and having them send both of the other Roman factions after me. The one who attacks and who is attacked get outlawed, and the third one gets a chance to show their loyalty to the Senate.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare