Thread: Is Empire worth upgradeing for?

Default Is Empire worth upgradeing for?

So how good is empire and is it worth getting a new computer for? My system only just plays MTW2 with the settings on low. I cant see how it can be so much better than MTW2 because its just about the best RTS game ever. Or am I ignorant? Must admit the naval battles look good on you tube.

Vote: Sasaki Member ByzantineKnight's Avatar

Default Re: Is Empire worth upgradeing for?

Honestly it depends on what type of gameplay you like:

Sea battles look beautiful but (for me at least) it is always hard to make my ships do what I want them to do so I usually have to rely on overwhelming numbers or elite ships to win sea battles but i'm sure that's just due to my ineptitude...

Land battles are vastly different than the other games in the series, there is no longer a huge melee clash as two armies hack away at eachother, from my experience, usually the armies draw up into two lines and fire at eachother while cannons support and cavalry attempts to start a chain rout, take out enemy artillery, or attack a weakness in the line.

The campaign map is a lot better though imo, the way it implements the theatres of war and the trade ports was an excellent addition.

And I mostly liked the addition of the tech tree and the way it focused on improving units and giving them more abilities instead of allowing you to recruit units as in so many other games

If the changes sound like something you might enjoy then its probably worth it, especially with Shogun 2 coming out :)
    RIP Tosa, I can't believe you are gone, but we will never forget you