Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would an authentic Bosphoran Kingdom army look like?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default What would an authentic Bosphoran Kingdom army look like?

I'm considering a third migrated faction game (Epeiros as the Bosphoran Kingdom), but I've no idea how the Bosphorans fought. It'll surprise no one when I say that I like the Hellenic troop roster, especially when mixed with regional troops to flavour and vary things.

I'm guessing from the troops available that it's a mixture of Hellenic and steppe units, though I'm struggling a little to imagine how horse archers would work together with infantry. What would be in a 14-unit stack?

How would you deal with Sauromatae horse archer armies? I've avoided them up to this point, opponents who you can't catch sound like an exercise in frustration. There's some foot archers with even longer range who'd integrate well into a regular army, but would they be the target of every enemy horse archer?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default Re: What would an authentic Bosphoran Kingdom army look like?

I'd say your horse archers would perform a similiar task to Hippakontistai light skirmisher cavalry (but a lot better, obviously.)

Epirote units that should be useful on the steppe:

Hoplitai Haploi - cheap, effective garrison units - town square defenders.
    Sphendonetai (Hellenic Slingers) - cheap AP missile unit to counter armoured Sauro FM's at long range, and as front-line arrow fodder.
    Peltastai (Hellenic Heavy Skirmishers) - fast moving skirmisher to target armoured Sauro FM's at short range, with decent melee capability against foot archers as well. Armour helps them resist arrow fire.
    Thureophoroi - fast-moving medium infantry with both javelins and spears to fight off enemy cavalry. Good for guarding archers and slingers with.
    Prodromoi (Successor Medium Cavalry) - fast-moving melee cavalry with good chance of catching enemy horse archers if used well.

I've just started such a campaign, although I use Pontos instead :)

What I've found usefull, is to avoid open combat like the plague. Get some archers, (prefferably the Bosphoran heavy archers), and something like Thuerepois, or classical hoplites. Now let them come to you, the only heavy units they got, are their cav, and if you can deny the cav access to your cities, you don't have to worry. Yesterday, i managed to repel 2.2k with just 700 men, simply because my 1 unit of thurepoi, 2 units of bosphoran heavy archers, and a unite of hellenic native spearmen, slaughtered anything that got close :) If they had gained entrance to the city, I'd have been dead. Those bodyguards they got are nasty, and they had 2 groups of noble horse archers and roxoliani riders. Thankfully those got picked off by the machine gun towers... would of completely trashed me :)

(sadly, the game crashed on me)

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    Epirote units that should be useful on the steppe:

Peltastai (Hellenic Heavy Skirmishers) - fast moving skirmisher to target armoured Sauro FM's at short range, with decent melee capability against foot archers as well. Armour helps them resist arrow fire.
    Prodromoi (Successor Medium Cavalry) - fast-moving melee cavalry with good chance of catching enemy horse archers if used well.
    These would be in the cathegory of " not to be used " . peltastai are dead against steppe with no2 shield & sword. Prodromoi...dead...fast...money wasted. Get foot archers and make a spearmen line in front of them to protect them and most problems go away.

Also , it is well in your power to create a HA army of yourself and destroy Sauromatae with their own weapons but more money.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: What would an authentic Bosphoran Kingdom army look like?

There is a serious death of sources concerning the Bosphoran kingdom, so I doubt we know what kind of armies they fielded. Given their position at the edge of the steppe, I'd say it would be similar to the Bactrians: emphasis on cavalry (heavier and more disciplined than their steppe opponents) supplemented by hired or allied horse and foot archers.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

These would be in the cathegory of " not to be used " . peltastai are dead against steppe with no2 shield & sword. Prodromoi...dead...fast...money wasted. Get foot archers and make a spearmen line in front of them to protect them and most problems go away.
    agree on pletastai, probably the least usefull unit in the steppes, not a bad unit altogether but terrible in the steppes, use Bosphoran archers or, if you have to, thureophoroi instead they are much more usefull.
    Prodromoi are not that bad against steppe troops, they are just that half of your army that should avoid being hit by arrows^^ actually the idea of a light-medium lancer in the steppes is not bad at all(see saka/bactrian medium cav) still I think "european" alternatives like getic cav, leuche epos and Illyrians are more cost efficient here, tho, sadly not availible so Lonchophoroi should be a good idea as they have a large shield.
    personally I'd go for a core of Hellens and max the same amount of Nomadic troops. wheras the Hellens would include a rather large amout of archers and Cavalry, for a hellenic army that is ;)
    oh not to forget HAs with spears and Scythian cav both quite usefull against AI HAs.

that's just my idea of a bosphoran army, EB2 will reveal what the EB thinks of them
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

The citizens of the Bosporas were very rich; in early times the citizens, when they went to war, fought in full bronze hoplite regalia; later they would be an effective medium-heavy cavalry force, equipped much like Sarmatian nobles, though their equipment would be of higher quality.

Scythians would be employed as mercenaries, and an elite force of 'picked' Scythian cavalry is mentioned in at least one battle. They had a good amount of professional thureos-equipped infantry and cavalry, with Thorakites-style infantry become more prominent with Roman influence.

In essence, what Ludens said - cavalry was very important to their armies, with a substantial force of thureos-armed infantry and cavalry.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

EDIT:
    Awww, after posting I noticed I'm completly offtopic...

Several months ago I did a KH as Bosphorans campaign. I didn't use historical armies since I started with such things in later campaigns. To beat the sauros go for siege or bridge battles. I mainly used armies with a small spearman core, many foot- and some horse-archers and changed bodyguards - Lonchophoroi with better stats. I wanted a relative fast cavalry with good defence against arrows. They have 10 armour and 4 shield, are too slow for light horse archers but faster then armoured ones so I used them to kill the noble cavalry and it worked very well. I killed 2 or 3 big armies of the sauros mainly by defending bridges and then attacked all neighbouring settlements, enslaved them, destroyed everything and left them. The Sauros came and asked for peace, a rare thing on very hard, but even if they don't do that at your campaign my method should weaken them enough that they wont by dangerous for many years. Also since the Hayasdan attack them every time it shouldn't be to hard.
    Against greeks or barbarians you really can't lose with a bosphoran army, you have good infantry and superior ranged troops it's very easy.
    Oh and the bosphoran heavy archers are probably the best thing against enemy archer armies. Place them in loose formation in the first line and they will take very low casualties while decemating the enemy troops.
    Last edited by Rahl; 10-06-2010 at 21:51.

as said above against steppe armies use missiles the bosphoran archers are your best defence against HA´s even if they aren´t in the steppes 3-4 hoptlite units in defensive mode guarded by 2 units of thuroporai on the flanks defending 3-5 units of bosphoran heavy archers and you got your core army had it up with 1-2 units of horse archers or scythian raiders to lure the sauro into shooting range and ofc your Fm unit combined with 1-2 units of heavy cavalry to help kill off the sauro family members

Yeah, Really be carefull with those Sauro FM's, they're seriously deadly. I sent 2 Fms with 60 and 50 man bodyguard units, to deal with a 70 men strong FM bodyguard... My guys got decimated, had to send in hoplites to pin them, and then make a new charge s:

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: What would an authentic Bosphoran Kingdom army look like?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I'm guessing from the troops available that it's a mixture of Hellenic and steppe units, though I'm struggling a little to imagine how horse archers would work together with infantry. What would be in a 14-unit stack?

How would you deal with Sauromatae horse archer armies? I've avoided them up to this point, opponents who you can't catch sound like an exercise in frustration. There's some foot archers with even longer range who'd integrate well into a regular army, but would they be the target of every enemy horse archer?
    I've been thinking about this for a bit. My impression is that steppe armies relied on harassment rather than direct fire-power. Even in set-piece battles they used a cycle of high-speed attacks and retreat. I doubt that they were able to score many hits (and casualties), but their targets would suffer a continuous barrage of arrows while being unable to strike back. This is terrifying even for experienced warriors, so the end result is that the target is goaded either into attacking or retreating. If the attack is coordinated, the horse archers simply fall back. If the attack is uncoordinated, they surround and cut down any groups that get separated from the main army.

In other words: to fight a steppe army you need to stop thinking in terms of "holding the field". The nomads don't care about the "field": the steppe is huge and they do not rely on agriculture. For a nomad, the most important thing is survival. He is not fighting for land, or glory, but to ensure that he, his family and his tribe make it through the next winter. The harassment tactics are part of that: they rely on persistence rather than damage and minimize exposure to enemy weapons. Countering these by recruiting foot archers or employing horse-archers of your own is quite likely to make steppe armies back down. They are not in it to demonstrate their superiority. Even moderate causalities can severely affect a tribe's ability to protect their land, and survive the winter, so they simply avoid risky targets.

So that explains how horse archers were integrated into settled armies: they were used as a screen to protect the heavy cavalry and (if present) infantry from being constantly harassed by hit-and-run tactics. None of these concepts translate very well to the TW engine though, so attempting to simulate history here will be very difficult.

Another element that cannot be simulated well is logistics. Steppe armies do not use supply lines or bases: their camps and herds travel with the army. (Or should I say that they are the army? Nomad society does not have a distinction between military and civilian.) In this, they can outlast and outmanoeuvre settled armies. However, this bare-bones approach to logistics brings its own problems: if they herds are threatened, the nomads have to back down since their survival depends on it. Also, they derive their superior mobility and endurance from their horses (every steppe warrior worth his salt has several to serve as remounts during battle), but these do require large amounts of grass. The nomads themselves may have very basic needs, but their herds and horses require them to move constantly. Again, this is not something that can be simulated properly in TW.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Well, I'll give it a shot, based on what the above people have said and the limitations of the game.

2 family members, also serving as your meh-grade heavy cavalry
    1 Hippeis
    2 scythian horse archers
    4 foot archers (mix of locals and hellenes, no elites)
    1 Sphendonetai
    2 ekdromoi hoplitai
    2 hoplitai haploi
    1 epilektoi hoplitai
    1 hoplitai (classic)

I don't really know how the Bosphoran greeks mixed their armies, but it seems reasonable to suggest that they'd use a combination of local tactics and good old greek hoplite stuff. The ekdromoi seem appropriate imo because they are one of the few hoplite types that have a prayer of cornering horse archers (with help).

As you can see, no akontistai/hippokontistai. Two reasons: 1. I don't like them and 2. they'd be utterly useless in the steppes, at least hoplites have shields and helmets that protect them well against arrows. And why offer arrow fodder when you don't need to?

edit: maybe skip the haploi if they were so rich, make it 3 ekdromoi and 2 classics instead.
    Last edited by rotten; 10-07-2010 at 14:25.

so you go for the more traditional way without any thuro-users? definately a way to get a consistent army :)

tho I doubt the nobles of the krim would fight on foot rather than on horseback so imho epilektoi could be replaced with hippeis, Lonchophoroi, Xystophoroi, prodromoi, aspidophoroi(this is getting boring) or even a unit of scythian nobles.
    for a rich poleis like yours 1 hoplitai seems a bit few I'd replace at least one of the haploi with them,
    BUT as Haploi are not the worst thing to have when ... well actually all the time... you could use them in secondary armies or garrisons
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

Everything with the armor under 10 is cannon fodder for HA, in my experience. The only "hoplite like" infantry unit really capable of resisting them is, aside from Classical Hoplites", Thorakitai - normally i only manage to kill them from uphill shooting at their backs. The large shield doesn´t really help you, since it´s the tactics of the HA to surround you, and even AI seems to know that quite well. Once the enemy HA are out of ammunition, and tired, you can send your Prodromoi to finish them off.
    But in any case: if you´d be a Lord of a Bosporian Kingdom, would you try to fight a mobile and swift mounted enemy with some infantry, or would you adjust and fight fire with fire? ;)
    - 10 mov. points :P

Not only that, levy hoplites are garrison troops, not for actual field armies.

I wouldn't use Koinon Hellenon, they serve an actual purpose in Greece. It's Epeiros who are disposable and thus the easiest to migrate.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Good points; I should've known ekdromoi get destroyed by flanking HA's

and since this is the field army, not garrison, of a wealthy polis:

1 Hippeis
    2 scythian horse archers
    1 scythian riders
    1 Bosphoran heavy archers (how could I forget?)
    3 hoplitai (classic)

Note that prodromoi are not available in the Crimea (according to the recruitment viewer). I've also ditched the slingers for the bosphoran heavy archers, can't believe I missed them!

As for heavy cavalry, one might replace a FM with some variety of Hetairoi, but having more than 2 heavy cavalry units, even in the main stack, seems a bit extravagant. Until you're very, very rich.

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vollorix View Post
    Everything with the armor under 10 is cannon fodder for HA, in my experience. The only "hoplite like" infantry unit really capable of resisting them is, aside from Classical Hoplites", Thorakitai - normally i only manage to kill them from uphill shooting at their backs. The large shield doesn´t really help you, since it´s the tactics of the HA to surround you, and even AI seems to know that quite well.
    Indeed, Thorakitai are the bane of all horse units. They combine the advantages of Classical Hoplites with those of barbarian spearmen. I really hate to fight them, but I love to field them myself.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Quote Originally Posted by rotten View Post
    Good points; I should've known ekdromoi get destroyed by flanking HA's

and since this is the field army, not garrison, of a wealthy polis:

1 Hippeis
    2 scythian horse archers
    1 scythian riders
    1 Bosphoran heavy archers (how could I forget?)
    3 hoplitai (classic)

Note that prodromoi are not available in the Crimea (according to the recruitment viewer). I've also ditched the slingers for the bosphoran heavy archers, can't believe I missed them!

As for heavy cavalry, one might replace a FM with some variety of Hetairoi, but having more than 2 heavy cavalry units, even in the main stack, seems a bit extravagant. Until you're very, very rich.
    Given what's been said, I think the hippeis should be replaced with the heavy skirmisher cavalry (who I think are armoured enough to resist arrows) or dropped altogether. FMs are your heavy cavalry.

The four foot archers are arrow-fodder. Replace with:
    2 Thureophoroi (later Thorakitai) - to cover the hoplites flanks
    1-2 Bosphoran heavy archers
    0-1 Peltastai

foot archers are arrow fodder? They work well enough for me. They're questionable on the attack versus sauros, but superb in defense and they own all forms of skirmisher except peltasts (still beat them though).
    If you find them lacking, feel free to replace them, and some skirmisher cavalry would be nice if, unlike me, you can use them.
    I'll take your word on the thorakitai, although used by the Sele AI they were only a nuisance to my hai archer army.
    Also, hippeis are not heavy cavalry. They have 20 def and a +25 charge, which is... fine, but not heavy. The only proper heavy cavalry to have a lower charge than that are the Iberi Lanceari (23), and... nope, it says 43 in the file. I remember buffing their armor but not that.
    Last edited by rotten; 10-08-2010 at 09:42.

foot archers are arrow fodder? They work well enough for me. They're questionable on the attack versus sauros, but superb in defense and they own all forms of skirmisher except peltasts (still beat them though).
    If you find them lacking, feel free to replace them, and some skirmisher cavalry would be nice if, unlike me, you can use them.
    Well, toxotai (the "Hellene" archers - unless you were thinking Kretan mercs) are unarmoured and wouldn't last long. Are the Scythian foot archers better armoured?

I thought Bosphoran heavies would be the entirety of the foot archer contingent.

I'll take your word on the thorakitai, although used by the Sele AI they were only a nuisance to my hai archer army.
    Also, hippeis are not heavy cavalry. They have 20 def and a +25 charge, which is... fine, but not heavy. The only proper heavy cavalry to have a lower charge than that are the Iberi Lanceari (23), and... nope, it says 43 in the file. I remember buffing their armor but not that.
    I figured thorakitai later (not straight away because they're supposed to be a later development), but thureophoroi in the meantime. Well-armoured and a bit more mobile than the hoplites.

Hippeis are just not very good mediums. Don't have the stamina of skirmishers, don't have the charge of heavier ones.

Too many heavy archers imo. Effective, yes, they will own almost every low level unit in the game, but not authentic. If we're going only for effective, then you don't need anything other than heavy foot archers (for cities), horse archers, mounted skirmishers and heavy cavalry, really.

Toxotai are unarmored, so are all other low grade foot archers, but, apart from their historicity, I take them because they win arrow duels vs all basic horse archers (on account of having more firepower and range - this might not be true for any unit without composite bows, though), because they're dirt cheap and if used correctly and in enough numbers their fire power is devastating. I once stopped a heavy seleukid phalanx and peltast army cold, and slaughtered them with an archer and horse archer only army. Most horse archer types aren't that well armored either and you have hoplitai, thureoporoi/thorakitai and heavy cavalry for that.

As for hippeis, they are inferior indeed, but if you want a local-dominated army you might as well play Sauromatae to begin with. The greeks would be a little too proud to let that army fight for them (and a little too afraid it might betray them, which it would) and if they got to the point of fielding heavy cavalry they would have some greek medium cavalry as well (and prodromoi are unavailable). A lot of people, myself included, complain that the AI's armies, apart from being misused, are poorly composed. Well, if we always use only the most effective units (which is not historical), that is exactly what will happen. Using hippeis is like a pre-Marian Roman player using the checkerboard formation instead of better tactics. It worked well enough irl (or not? they did change it after all) but the game engine doesn't work that way. Also, Roman equites, I'm told, are bad; but people still take them if they want to be historically correct, otherwise why not just take the better mercenaries available around them?

Anyway, it'd be almost impossible to fully agree on this; I'm aware that my model is severely lacking in javelin troops for example.

Maybe like this:
    2 FM or 1 FM 1 heavy cavalry
    1 Hippeis (or an extra horse archer or hippokontistai unit if you really mean to ditch them)
    1 Scythian horse archers, or any simple horse archer
    1 Hippokontistai
    1 Bosphoran heavy archers
    1 toxotai
    1 local foot archers
    1 peltastai
    3 hoplitai (or mix them with pezhetairoi if you can get those as well)
    2 thureophoroi into thorakitai

The benefit of this army is that it is not a gimmick army, and it won't autowin against any remotely reasonable composition without skill. Your spear line is good, but not really to the standards of other greek armies; your missile firepower is good, but not as good as what the nomads and armenians will have in a 14-stack. You'd have to really mix things up and use your diverse units together well to get the better of an even battle.
    Last edited by rotten; 10-08-2010 at 12:04.

Too many heavy archers imo. Effective, yes, they will own almost every low level unit in the game, but not authentic. If we're going only for effective, then you don't need anything other than heavy foot archers (for cities), horse archers, mounted skirmishers and heavy cavalry, really.
    You think the Bosphorans qualify as elites? If so then I'd agree one unit is probably enough of them. We're not only going for effective, it's just that toxotai don't make a lot of sense for a rich kingdom who can draw on better local archers than them.

Toxotai are unarmored, so are all other low grade foot archers, but, apart from their historicity, I take them because they win arrow duels vs all basic horse archers (on account of having more firepower and range - this might not be true for any unit without composite bows, though), because they're dirt cheap and if used correctly and in enough numbers their fire power is devastating. I once stopped a heavy seleukid phalanx and peltast army cold, and slaughtered them with an archer and horse archer only army. Most horse archer types aren't that well armored either and you have hoplitai, thureoporoi/thorakitai and heavy cavalry for that.
    Toxotai have a shorter range than all the horse archers - they have the underpowered western European bow, not a composite one. Not only will they not win duels with horse archers, they'll be annihilated by them. Their firepower is decidedly paltry against anything that has armour (or even a decent shield). Compare with sphendenotai, who will devastate unarmoured units, and even take a heavy toll on armoured units from the front.

My point about their armour is this; why would AI horse archers waste ammo on the armoured units when there are these soft targets around? I certainly never use archers on armoured units when there are skirmishers around to be butchered. Again I don't think it makes a lot of sense that a rich kingdom would field pauper units (which is what toxotai, akontistai and hippokontistai are) that aren't locals.

As for hippeis, they are inferior indeed, but if you want a local-dominated army you might as well play Sauromatae to begin with. The greeks would be a little too proud to let that army fight for them (and a little too afraid it might betray them, which it would) and if they got to the point of fielding heavy cavalry they would have some greek medium cavalry as well (and prodromoi are unavailable). A lot of people, myself included, complain that the AI's armies, apart from being misused, are poorly composed. Well, if we always use only the most effective units (which is not historical), that is exactly what will happen. Using hippeis is like a pre-Marian Roman player using the checkerboard formation instead of better tactics. It worked well enough irl (or not? they did change it after all) but the game engine doesn't work that way. Also, Roman equites, I'm told, are bad; but people still take them if they want to be historically correct, otherwise why not just take the better mercenaries available around them?
    You've got FMs for your "Hellene cavalry". That's exactly what I do when playing Romans, no need to recruit equites when your FMs are surrounded by them. Hippeis are just an extra cavalry unit that doesn't really serve a purpose. Those heavy skirmishers on the other hand would work if you want a genuinely separate Hellenic cavalry unit.

Anyway, it'd be almost impossible to fully agree on this; I'm aware that my model is severely lacking in javelin troops for example.

Maybe like this:
    2 FM or 1 FM 1 heavy cavalry
    1 Hippeis (or an extra horse archer or hippokontistai unit if you really mean to ditch them)
    1 Scythian horse archers, or any simple horse archer
    1 Hippokontistai
    1 Bosphoran heavy archers
    1 toxotai
    1 local foot archers
    1 peltastai
    3 hoplitai (or mix them with pezhetairoi if you can get those as well)
    2 thureophoroi into thorakitai

The benefit of this army is that it is not a gimmick army, and it won't autowin against any remotely reasonable composition without skill. Your spear line is good, but not really to the standards of other greek armies; your missile firepower is good, but not as good as what the nomads and armenians will have in a 14-stack. You'd have to really mix things up and use your diverse units together well to get the better of an even battle.
    I mostly agree with the above, though I'd ditch the hippeis for heavy skirmisher cavalry, not use the hippokontistai, and have two or three horse archers (so total six cavalry). Then change the toxotai for another local foot archer. Total fifteen units, removing the peltastai and/or the heavy skirmisher cavalry if I wanted to reduce stack size.

Hippakontistai are not paupers, they may be called levy or militia but not paupers. they are abit like the Merchant cav in M2TW.
    they may not be welltrained but they are composed of upper middleclass and lower nonlemen's sons, thus even above the Hoplitai in social status. plus, as Horses are probably easier to attain on the Crim than the Peleponnes I'd guess that they'd be pretty common, at least in times of need that is ;) Hippakontistai are (contrary to their use in EB as first cav recruitable for KH) a sign for a rich but threatened state, at least when combined with real cavalry to represent the real nobles ;)
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    Hippakontistai are not paupers, they may be called levy or militia but not paupers. they are abit like the Merchant cav in M2TW.
    they may not be welltrained but they are composed of upper middleclass and lower nonlemen's sons, thus even above the Hoplitai in social status. plus, as Horses are probably easier to attain on the Crim than the Peleponnes I'd guess that they'd be pretty common, at least in times of need that is ;) Hippakontistai are (contrary to their use in EB as first cav recruitable for KH) a sign for a rich but threatened state, at least when combined with real cavalry to represent the real nobles ;)
    Which could justify them being part of a garrison (representing bodies of troops existing amongst the population), but not really in field armies except in an emergency. Same as levy hoplites or levy skirmishers, both of whom I use in garrisons for this reason. I think they do a more feasible job of working with the mechanics of the game without having unrealistic levels of militarisation in your settlements. I should note I station my armies in forts outside the settlements, rather than in them.

Well, i'm not that familiar with javelin cavalry, that's why I put hippokontistai. Any hellenes, locals and other bastard varieties will do. You're probably right about toxotai, the bosphorans probably used them once, they got raped by composite bow archers and they never looked back anyway.

With heavy archers, I've encountered the Persian variety and they win archery duels vs light archers with composite bows easily. I generally had to chase them with cavalry, and they even put up a good fight against scythian horse archers in melee. If they're anything to go by, don't bring too many units of bosphoran heavy archers to a fight or you'll win too easily and with no satisfaction.

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

With heavy archers, I've encountered the Persian variety and they win archery duels vs light archers with composite bows easily. I generally had to chase them with cavalry, and they even put up a good fight against scythian horse archers in melee. If they're anything to go by, don't bring too many units of bosphoran heavy archers to a fight or you'll win too easily and with no satisfaction.
    Heavy Persians have better range than Bosphorans, but the latter are better armoured with a shield to boot. Plus they carry a sword that is twice as lethal as anything normal archers get.
    For light archers, you should use Skythian Foot Archers. They are unarmoured but sport a very good range, similar to the heavy Persian dudes.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Which could justify them being part of a garrison (representing bodies of troops existing amongst the population), but not really in field armies except in an emergency. Same as levy hoplites or levy skirmishers, both of whom I use in garrisons for this reason. I think they do a more feasible job of working with the mechanics of the game without having unrealistic levels of militarisation in your settlements. I should note I station my armies in forts outside the settlements, rather than in them.
    I agree with this, I just wanted to "get ridd of" the word Pauper. they're not the thing for a main army.
    tho Arkontistai could be well viewed as appropriate for a main army as Hellens always had a contingent of psiloi with them and this includes Toxotai Sphendotai AND Arkontistai. on the other side there are "emergency units" like Haploi and Hippakontistai who are only called apon when you are at the verge of extingtion.
    Hippakontistai also make a good(roleplaywise) captains unit when a settlement rebels to you. in my "current" KH campaign Sinope(or trapezous not sure) rebelled to me(what supprise) with some(5) mixed levy infantry and a unit of Hippakontistai as "command unit" so I roleplayed that after the nobles got striped of their properties the Greek Merchants spured an uprising against the pontic oppression and animated the lower classes to join their rebellion.
    sadly they all died before my relief force arrived ^^
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

Well, i'm not that familiar with javelin cavalry, that's why I put hippokontistai. Any hellenes, locals and other bastard varieties will do.
    I found out what they're called, they're Hetairoi Aspidophoroi.

Like Thureophoroi, they're a way of demonstrating that the Bosphorans are keeping up with military developments in the Hellenistic world.

If you're going to use any medium cavalry, the Lonchophoroi Hippeis are better and again more "modern":

They're also the bodyguard Hellenistic Mercenary Generals use.

You're probably right about toxotai, the bosphorans probably used them once, they got raped by composite bow archers and they never looked back anyway.

I agree on both fronts, too many heavy archers and it stops being both challenging and realistic. Though they're archer-swordsmen, rather than archer-spearmen (which I believe the Persians are), which would make them less durable against cavalry.

I think six cavalry (including FMs, max three horse archers) and nine infantry (max three archers) gives a good mix that is distinctively non-nomadic and interesting. It's the Greek-regional fusion that makes all these migrated factions interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    I agree with this, I just wanted to "get ridd of" the word Pauper. they're not the thing for a main army.
    tho Arkontistai could be well viewed as appropriate for a main army as Hellens always had a contingent of psiloi with them and this includes Toxotai Sphendotai AND Arkontistai. on the other side there are "emergency units" like Haploi and Hippakontistai who are only called apon when you are at the verge of extingtion.
    Hippakontistai also make a good(roleplaywise) captains unit when a settlement rebels to you. in my "current" KH campaign Sinope(or trapezous not sure) rebelled to me(what supprise) with some(5) mixed levy infantry and a unit of Hippakontistai as "command unit" so I roleplayed that after the nobles got striped of their properties the Greek Merchants spured an uprising against the pontic oppression and animated the lower classes to join their rebellion.
    sadly they all died before my relief force arrived ^^
    Fair enough, I take your point.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 10-08-2010 at 14:47.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Comparing the Lonchophoroi and the Aspidophoroi doesn't make sense - the two play separate roles.

Now, javelin cavalry are rather underpowered in EB when compared with lancers, which are at a relatively fair power level, and we intend to fix this in NOM by the melee power of non-lance cavalry weapons, and decreasing the cost of non-lance cavalry (except horse archers).

When I played EB Online, before my Hamachi screwed up (finally got it running again but homework is getting the better of me these days) I favored the Sauromatae - the weakest of the steppe factions in terms of armour, etc. and probably not favored against other Steppe factions, but they enjoy some key advantages:

-Access to Bastarnae. While crap against missiles, your HAs will take the brunt of enemy missile attacks. Keep these away from missiles and they're golden shock infantry.
    -Scythian Nobles - Very cost-efficient, superior lancers; better than Lonchophoroi and significantly cheaper
    -Aorsi/Scythian Riders - much less expensive than Dahae and much more effective than Saka Riders (since overhand cav spears are so bad in EB). Much better than horse archers, since they pack a charge that will actually put the smackdown on wavering enemies or flanks/rear
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    Comparing the Lonchophoroi and the Aspidophoroi doesn't make sense - the two play separate roles.
    I think he meant that both are the best things the KH factional barrack has against sauros, In which I agree. he just compared lonchophoroi to hippeis.

yep @ sauromatae are real good at getting effective light-medium troops rather fast without too many heavy troops availible.
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast