Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dungeon's FAQ

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

ECS,

Thanks for your additional info on these keyword/parameters. It all helps. The keyword "set_init_agri_income_id:: 100" may be very useful. I'm playing around with this at present.

SoS,

The hardcoded elements of MTW in respect of The Pope/Papist faction, the Swiss, the Golden Horde are all annoying at times for modders. However, this is only to be expected. MTW is really based heavily on the Crusades and it would probably have been called CTW had it not been for the unfortunate politicvs surrounding the events of 9/11.

ECS/CA has/have confirmed in other threads two things -

1) VI will be based in a time perioed that does NOT rely on either the necessity for, or the emergence of, the Pope/Swiss/Golden_Horde. This makes VI especially attractive for modders.

2) the VI add-on will change some hardcoded constraints in respect of the MTW engine and Script files (the startpos files) in that -

- region/province names can be changed/modded to be whatever you wish them to be
    - faction names can be changed
    - faction colours can be changed

Implicit in this is that the VI add-on will remove several major obstacles to MTW modding.

Whether or not such 'obstacles' are removed for just the VI campaign or for the general MTW campaign as well is as yet unknown.

ECS - any confirmation/advice/input on this?

Welly

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Thanks Welly I noticed those startpos codes you mentioned are those commands you jus add to the existing file Like SetGameEndDate::2003 do I just add the code to the date data array block that exists ?
    Taking life one day at a time!

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Sword Of Storms @ Mar. 07 2003,10:42)]Thanks Welly I noticed those startpos codes you mentioned are those commands you jus add to the existing file Like do I just add the code to the date data array block that exists ?
    I don't follow you here SoS.

ECS has advised us that the keyword "SetGameEndDate::2003" is avialable for determining the end date of a campaign. In one of the Script files, therefore, you can presumably add the line to set the end date of a campaign. For example, based on Early.txt, -

//========================================
    //Start Date
    //The year in which this
    //campaign will begin
    //========================================

SetStartDate:: 1087
    SetGameEndDate:: 1090 // ADDED via ECS info SetPeriod:: EARLY
    SetEarlyPeriodStartDate:: 1087
    SetHighPeriodStartDate:: 1205
    SetLatePeriodStartDate:: 1321

adding the line "SetGameEndDate:: 1090" would presumably allow the campaign to run for only 3 years I hav'nt tested any of this yet. I'm only basing the conclusion on ECS's info.

Note: LMM does NOT incorporate such an end date as yet (but the LMM generated Script can easily be amended to set an end date as such.

Welly

OK I understand the example you typed out is exactly what I was thinking you typed in the SetGameEndDate in the date array block . Have you had the time to get the LMM4V2 I believe you said was the version you were to mail me I have done all according to the docs with the LMM4V1 that I have. I finally got my holyland map 037 in I await further info. Thanks.P.S. I will put the SetGamEnd to the test this evening and let you know if you do not already do it yourself.

I don't know if this question belongs here, so anyways.

I have a major problem.

My CD-key isn't working. Whenever I insert it it sais that it is invalid. I've tried everything ( apitalizing everything, insering or deleting hyphen, I've tried it all ).

There must be somethimg wrong with the key and I would like to get another one.

For a while I didn't care so much, because I was playing the SP, but now I am more than ready to get into MP.

Please any of you Devs out there, I need your help.

The Horde, Swiss and Burgundian will always emerge at set time, the Papist however will only re-emerge if they existed in Rome before, if if you take out they faction altogether then they can't come back. Here is the deal, "if they existed in Rome before" what you can do is mod out ID_ROME from the game (or make a blank region and make that Rome like sahara - with no neighbour so the Papist will never get hold of it from the rebels,) the Papist will get one life only. Don't try the same with the other emerging factions, the only thing you can do with them for the time being is the fiddle with the year to stop them hitting their birthday. 1230 for the horde, 1280 - 1453 for Swiss. 1350 - 1453 for the Burgundian. I suppose you could give them their only little islands so they don't play a part on you campaign, but you'll still get their messages.
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Problems with CD keys? Get in touch with Activision, they can issue you with a new one. Apparaently it's caps and zeros not O's.
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

So do I understand this right?
    All we have to do to sort out rome is to
    make it the sahara?

Or just have no entries for it in startpos?

That's so simple it's depressing it took six months
    to find out

I not complaining I'm just being emotional

LK did he say make it the or "like" Sahara I think you just make it impossible for the pope to be able to cross into rome and the re-mrgence prob is stopped sound right? whenI asked ECS I didnt think it was possible . SO do you just mod the connecting border info in startpos to make papal states to rome impassable? let me know. thanks

Actually, I am not sure if it will work or not, he will be out of the game but all the stuff to do with excommuication and granting crusades and stuff will still be in effect - he'll still meddle in your kingdom when even when he is off the map. Give it a try anyway, replace all ID_ROME with ID_AFRICA and ID AFRICA with ID_ROME.

Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ Mar. 10 2003,05:00)]Problems with CD keys? Get in touch with Activision, they can issue you with a new one. Apparaently it's caps and zeros not O's.
    I have tried going that, but they just tell me to try differnt things, which by the way I am sick of doing.

ECS I am curious as to what formula is used to determine a provinces base value , some of them seem low, When I mod this is one of the first things I adjust...Thanks

No formula - it was done through research and play testing. In debug mode it is possible to let the AI play itself without a human player, we did lots of runs and tweaked it until the playable factions all have a fair chance of winner the game. The value is just for the farm income, region with trade goods may have had their farm value tuned down. Feel free to play around with it.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I'm wondering if one possible guide for the farm value of province might be population estimates for the period? Better farm land means that an area can support a larger population.

I guess some areas might be richer per capita than others, but in the period, this consideration may be secondary. It's interesting that the world's population takes off with our ability to support it (industrialisation and associated improvements in technology).

I wonder what kind of historical data is available on this issue? How many equivalents of the Doomsday book were there?

Eat Cold Steel I am sure this has been asked before but I have not seen a definitve explanation, what do the numbers in this block actually stand for and can they be changed?I have tried some minor changes in mods, and have noted only name changes. Can you shed some light on this area for us. SetStartLeader:: FN_BYZANTINE 0 0 4 7 1 3 10 1 0
    SetStartLeader:: FN_EGYPTIAN 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

Another question for ECS , I would like to know what the FN_FREE slots are for I have heard conflicting views on this, some say they are hardcoded and for game expansion only , others contend you can add a new faction using the FREE slots . Can you explain ?

SetStartLeader:: FN_BYZANTINE 0 0 4 7 1 3 10 1 0
    The first 8 names of a factions' name list are "Royal," ie that's the name king use to name their sons. These 8 numbers tells the game how many kings of those first 8 names there have been before the start of the period. So for example, the first English king with the name Edward from early period is Edward III rather than Edward I.

The maximum number of faction ever is 32. I donno what problems people have when using FN_FREE slots, as long as you don't change the label FN_FREE then you should be ok. If you have any specific question on using those extra factions then I'll try to answer them. The only problem I can see is not being able to set their colour, or maybe their faction shield?

The format of the startpos file will change slightly for vikings, where it will be easy to add factions and regions.

Thanks for the response, In regards to the FN_FREE I recently tried to add my own faction by using these slots I made entries in the Startpos/Early txt and Loc/Eng/names. for the shield I used the Default. and I think I covered all the bases as far as entries needed for a new faction. But when trying to play the game crashed. I did not get an error message it just would not boot up, any ideas?

I need more information than that, I maybe able to help you if you show me what you've added. Vikings is less than a month away, modding the game will be that much easier with the new keywords. I suggest you guys leave the harder stuff for later. You can even add new battle music

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ April 09 2003,11:24)]Vikings is less than a month away, modding the game will be that much easier with the new keywords. I suggest you guys leave the harder stuff for later. You can even add new battle music
    My sentiments exactly.

Work on the stuff that won't
    be changed.Lot's of that around.

LK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12