Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Preview: The Qarthadastim

Member Member Leon the Batavian's Avatar

Default Re: Preview: The Qarthadastim

And yes I do know about that part of history.

@ Ludens true. But then again if everyone hated the Roman Empire so much why were their enemies so gentle ? Maybe those "Barbarians" were indeed more Civilized.

Anyways this topic isn't about Rome nor its people.
    Last edited by Leon the Batavian; 01-12-2011 at 13:07.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Preview: The Qarthadastim

Quote Originally Posted by Leon the Batavian View Post
    @ Ludens true. But then again if everyone hated the Roman Empire so much why were their enemies so gentle ? Maybe those "Barbarians" were indeed more Civilized.
    I doubt the barbarians were particularly gentle when looting a town; it was more that the Romans took systematic sacking to a new level. And this was just for "ordinary" opponents who did not surrender in time. The razing of Carthage is special, and there's something hysterical about Rome's hostility to Carthage in the run-up to the Third Punic War. The city was no serious threat, yet it seems the Romans were determined to find offence.

Also, it should be noted the later sacks of Rome were steeped in the politics of the dying Western Empire. Alaric and his Goths formed the mainstray of the Roman army for years. They had been promised land, yet time and again found themselves treated as second-rate citizens. They took Rome to make a political point, attempted to install a new emperor, negotiated, and only when that failed did they sack it. The Vandals had similarly been promised land and not gotten it, so they set up their own pirate empire. Their attack on Rome came at the invitation of a former empress who needed rescuing.

In both cases the attackers had tried to become part of the Roman Empire, so clearly they didn't hate it. It was the political games of the Roman generals, and their reliance on barbarian warriors as cheap firepower, that provoked the sacks. However, before this is cast as "scheming Romans" vs. "noble Barbarians", it should be noted that the Roman generals were often from barbarian ethnicities themselves. In fact: during part of this period the Western Empire was practically controlled by a Vandal, Stilicho.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    I doubt the barbarians were particularly gentle when looting a town; it was more that the Romans took systematic sacking to a new level. And this was just for "ordinary" opponents who did not surrender in time. The razing of Carthage is special, and there's something hysterical about Rome's hostility to Carthage in the run-up to the Third Punic War. The city was no serious threat, yet it seems the Romans were determined to find offence.
    Was it not of their fear for another Hannibal / Carthage who might not make the same mistakes the orignals made ? Carthage had the ability to recover fast financially at least.

I mean Scipio learned from Hannibal, Rome learned from others, so maybe when they let Carthage live to fight another day who knows what would happen.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Preview: The Qarthadastim

Quote Originally Posted by Leon the Batavian View Post
    Was it not of their fear for another Hannibal / Carthage who might not make the same mistakes the orignals made ? Carthage had the ability to recover fast financially at least.

I mean Scipio learned from Hannibal, Rome learned from others, so maybe when they let Carthage live to fight another day who knows what would happen.
    Personally, I doubt this economical recovery amounted to much. Carthage probably resumed her position as the dominant port in the south-western Mediterranean, but without her possessions in Sicily and Iberia and no strong hold over other African ports she would be nowhere near as wealthy. Those highly lucrative mines in Iberia were now exploited by Rome, too.

Strategically her position was even worse. Carthage had lost the two previous wars so it was unlikely that anyone would come to her aid a third time, especially not against an enemy as implacable as Rome. Also, knowing Roman policies it is likely that former pro-Carthage rulers had either capitulated or suffered the consequences; while pro-Roman ones had prospered. There would be no shortage of willing allies to support a Roman invasion.

Basically: even if Carthage did have an economical resurgence, she was still in no position to assert political or military control over her neighbours, and any attempt to do that would have given Rome a casus belli. There was no rational basis for Roman fear. They were either projecting or attempting to justify the settling of an old score.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Thank you

Poor Carthage, well EB 1 and EB 2 can make it happen! :)

Great Preview!

I have one question. In the Qarthadastim preview there is notice about PROVINCIAL AUTHORITY BUILDING ( in first version of this preview used to be AUTHORITY POLICY BUILDING???). Here ftp://ftp.europabarbarorum.org/EBII%...0Authority.pdf you wrote that there are two types of Authority buildings, Central and Outlying. I know that Military Control, Allied Kingdom and so on are Central Authority and they co-operate whit Provincial Authority Building. My question is : what is PROVINCIAL AUTHORITY BUILDING and where it belong (outlying group or maybe somewhere else?) ?
    Sorry for my English, this is my second language :). I’ll be grateful for answer or simple diagram that enlighten me.
    And one more thing. You make great things and thank you to everyone creating this mod :).

from Brave Brave Sir Robin
    from Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Quote Originally Posted by nazgool View Post
    I have one question. In the Qarthadastim preview there is notice about PROVINCIAL AUTHORITY BUILDING ( in first version of this preview used to be AUTHORITY POLICY BUILDING???). Here ftp://ftp.europabarbarorum.org/EBII%...0Authority.pdf you wrote that there are two types of Authority buildings, Central and Outlying. I know that Military Control, Allied Kingdom and so on are Central Authority and they co-operate whit Provincial Authority Building. My question is : what is PROVINCIAL AUTHORITY BUILDING and where it belong (outlying group or maybe somewhere else?) ?
    Sorry for my English, this is my second language :). I’ll be grateful for answer or simple diagram that enlighten me.
    And one more thing. You make great things and thank you to everyone creating this mod :).
    Old internal names, but they are the same building.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    The razing of Carthage is special, and there's something hysterical about Rome's hostility to Carthage in the run-up to the Third Punic War. The city was no serious threat, yet it seems the Romans were determined to find offence.
    Carthage = Iraq

I was checking out this preview battle screenshots for the 84943589343953 time (which are awesome btw) and there is a warning on Imageshack:
    Attention: Imageshack will be removing the anonymous uploader on November 4th!

Please someone reupload them again so we don't lose them and the preview while still awesome due to all the info will be a little less magnificient.
    Thank you!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345