Thread: Will there still be marius era legionaires?

Default Will there still be marius era legionaires?

I was worried in the rome preview there were no professional legionaires like in EB1, have they been removed or has the team just not posted the images yet.

Thanks

Default Re: Will there still be marius era legionaires?

I'm pretty sure they just haven't been posted yet. I think the Rome preview was focused on the earlier era Roman soldiers.

Didn't someone say that the first release(s) of EBII will only have Camillian era troops?

I remember this as well. And I would be surprised if the first release contained (m)any reformed units.
    from plutoboyz

I seem to recall someone from the team mentioning that they might have to get rid of the Imperial era units (and consequently the entireity of the Imperial reforms) because they might need their unit slots for the new factions, but I've heard nothing about them getting rid of the Marians and frankly it'd be pretty silly for them to do so.

Removing the Imperial era units, however, I can live with. You get them extremely late (by then you're going to have Marian era legions swarming everywhere anyway), the basic Imperial legionaires have the same stats as their Marian counterparts and the support units and Pratoreans, whilst cool, are certainly amongst the most "expendable" units in EB, simply because of how hard-pressed a player is to get them to appear outside of custom battles...

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, a team-member said there was some internal discussion on removing the Imperial-era units. They hadn't made a decision yet, and I don't think they will soon since the Imperials will be some of the last units to be created.

Where did a team-member say the first release would only contain Camillian units? I guess it makes sense if the team still intends to release the Gaza campaign first: it's possible that it will take place entirely during the Camillian "era".
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

As a Roman fan I tottaly agree that the Imperial reforms and units have no space in Eb time frame period. But I would like to see some auvilliary units, not imperial, but native troops levied by Repuplic Rome to fight along its Legions, like Gallic, Iberian and Thracian troops.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Yes, a team-member said there was some internal discussion on removing the Imperial-era units. They hadn't made a decision yet, and I don't think they will soon since the Imperials will be some of the last units to be created.
    AFAIK the issue has been put on hold until a later date for the same reason you just cited.

Where did a team-member say the first release would only contain Camillian units? I guess it makes sense if the team still intends to release the Gaza campaign first: it's possible that it will take place entirely during the Camillian "era".
    I can confirm that the Romans will only have the Camillian units in the first release, this isn't the same as the Gaza Campaign and will run just like a normal EB campaign (272BC-14AD).

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I am excited about the release date for Gaza campaign now that you seem to have a timeline for post-Gaza goals even if they are just fuzzy.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009