Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Politics and Football

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Politics and Football

Celtic kicked up a bit of a fuss at the weekend after they displayed some anti-poppy protests.

As usual, the PC-brigade were quick to condemn these protestors as people who do not represent the views fo Celtic fans, and for some reason think that they themselves are the only people who have a right to claim to speak on behalf of Celtic fans.

As usual, their liberal rhetoric completely ignores reality, since the greater part of a whole stand was directly involved in the protest.

We have quite a history of this sort of thing with the Old Firm (Rangers/Celtic, JICYDKBYRSK, you get a balloon if you work that out btw). Celtic have had similar protests for a few years now, while Rangers have had Ulster day, Orange day (in reference to their Dutch connections rofl and absolutely not the Orange Order, good shots from about 6 second in).

Now, here is the controversy. Firstly, as you would expect, I will rush to the aid of the radical republicans at Glasgow Celtic!

In response to the poppy protest, we've had the usual righteous indignation from the moralising pc-brigade, who like to use the line that "politics doesn't belong on the football pitch". So, I wonder if the same pc-brigade will also wholeheartedly condemn programmes such as the current 'Show racism the red card', in which all players actively participate before games doing shows for the crowd with their anti-racism message.

Seems like hypocrisy to me, as usual the liberal crew use the 'leave me alone' line, but don't feel like leaving everyone else alone. Keep politics out of football seems to mean keep politics they don't like out of football.

Plus their whole language of reconcilliation 'why can't we just get along theme' in saying these protests do not represent Rangers/Celtic fans is bollox, look at the pics/videos the vast majority of Celtic fans clearly support the poppy protest, and the vast majority of Rangers fans clearly showed support for the Orange Order.

I don't see a problem with having this at football grounds.

But, do you?!?!!?!?
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 11-09-2010 at 21:19.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Default Re: Politics and Football

Politics of course have a place in football, and so does mockery, insults and more general messages of hate.

Politicians, on the other hand, had better stay away.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Yeah...I dunno man. I myself just couldn't be bothered go over all of history since 1688 when I'm watching a game of footy. Over here we just get drunk then entertain ourselves with songs about the career choices of the opponent's female relatives.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Yeah...I dunno man. I myself just couldn't be bothered go over all of history since 1688 when I'm watching a game of footy. Over here we just get drunk then entertain ourselves with songs about the career choices of the opponent's female relatives.
    I watched a programme about the derby between some clubs in Istanbul I can't remember.... But their favourite taunt was along the lines of "<insert player name> go have sex with(said in a naughtier way) their mothers!!"

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    And then there was the whole thing when Rangers set ticket prices to £16.90, lol.

Heh, it's not like it's just a Scottish phenomenon. I remember all the Celtic fans thought they were being smart when they took Palestine flags for thier game against Hapoel Tel-Aviv, when it turns out Hapoel are the 'liberal' team of Israeli football (IIRC, anyway), and often fly Palestine flags themselves. If they had done it against Beitar Jerusalem on the other hand...

Do football teams in France/Norway/wherever ever have these political connotations?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Heh, it's not like it's just a Scottish phenomenon. I remember all the Celtic fans thought they were being smart when they took Palestine flags for thier game against Hapoel Tel-Aviv, when it turns out Hapoel are the 'liberal' team of Israeli football (IIRC, anyway), and often fly Palestine flags themselves. If they had done it against Beitar Jerusalem on the other hand...
    Reminds of how the Chelsea fans makes gas hissing when facing Tottenham....

Do football teams in France/Norway/wherever ever have these political connotations?
    Yes and no. Obviously we don't have different religious or ethnic groups etc facing each other here, so what have is a "milder" version... But my team, Vålerenga, is a team from the capital, Oslo, and therefore regularly uses banners with degenerative terms for farmers, rural people, people from other parts of the country, etc etc. A common chant used in every game is "Øl og vold, skamslåtte bønder"(beer and violence, beat up peasants) and it's by far the loudest one, and the one most of the fans sing along with. Another case is when we faced now bankrupt(HAH!) FC Lyn, with Lyn being the upper-class side, while Vålerenga is working class.

Other commons songs are:
    - "We know who our dad is!" - sung quite a few teams, particularly the upper-class teams Stabæk and Lyn
    - "Everyone from (Våler)Enga claps like this"(followed by simulating heroin use) - sung by most teams outside the capital, like in Hamar and Drammen
    - "Everyone from X has the same grand-dad" - sung by Enga when facing rural teams, particularly Ham-Kam, and X is substituted by the name of the opposing teams city

Ha! I've seen some similar themes following teams in the lower leagues here.

Teams from the less industrialised north get a lot of abuse for their fondness of sheep. For coastal Peterhead, we use "You only sing when you're fishing".

Probably the funniest one was when we were playing against Stenhousemuir. They celebrate the clubs connections with Norway, and so they have a cowbell they like to ring all the time (you can still hear it since the attendance at these games is low). One time they were doing it a bit much and it resulted in a chorus of "Shove yer cowbell, Shove yer cowbell, Shoooove yer cowbell up yer arse"...

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Rangers and Celtic to be honest strike me as being like two bald men who a constantly fighting over a comb.

To answer the thread yes it is hypocritical to proclaim only one form of politics is allowed at the match and since Celtic fans see the poppy as a political symbol then to them this protest is about keeping politics out.
    (Except of course it doesnt keep politics out cos the reason for the protest in the first place is political in and of itself, I bet any money they are probably some eejits from the likes of the IRSP or Eirigi etc)

The Union Jack has flown alongdside the Tricolour in Croke Park if the GAA can let the past be the past and allow England in for a match then maybe I think maybe Rangers/Celtic should give it a rest maybe just maybe.

Plus I wonder because the pitches are the home teams property and place of work etc etc are you actually allowed the freedom to protest and the like.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    To answer the thread yes it is hypocritical to proclaim only one form of politics is allowed at the match and since Celtic fans see the poppy as a political symbol then to them this protest is about keeping politics out.
    Aye, besides all the controversial topics, pointing out this rather dull bit of legalism (can't think of a better word, I'm tired) was really the heart of the matter.

The Union Jack has flown alongdside the Tricolour in Croke Park if the GAA can let the past be the past and allow England in for a match then maybe I think maybe Rangers/Celtic should give it a rest maybe just maybe.
    Heh, yeah, I guess it must seem strange to some people that the continued fascination with Irish issues doesn't actually take place in Ireland itself. I guess it's the nature of the demographics in Scotland. Our Irish/Ulster immigrants (depending on what they would call themselves), whether Proddy or Catholic, were all working-class. Today, they are voiced through Rangers/Celtic, and they are pretty much the scum of Scottish society. Don't mind using the word scum either, I'm a part of it, I guess I'm just adopting the language used by the oh-so-righteous pc-bridage. They are working-class, come from crappy areas, and pretty much hate each other. Ireland on the other hand is a succesful country, and it has moved on. And the rest of Britain never cared in the first place.

Plus I wonder because the pitches are the home teams property and place of work etc etc are you actually allowed the freedom to protest and the like.
    A good point. There's two layers to this, that of the clubs, and that of the SFA (Scottish Football Association). Strictly speaking, it is my view that state-funded organisations like the SFA presumably is (at least partially, not sure actually) should not dictate what is politically legal and acceptable.

IMO it should be up to the clubs themselves. If Scottish nationalists want to get upset over Ranger's Orange Day or whatever as tell us we are all 'Scottish' (an underlying current in the criticism of Celtic as well btw) then they can go pleasure themselves to Braveheart, these people are becoming to me what Marxist Islamists are to Fragony.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is a difference between "Keep Racism out of Football" and "Put Racism in Football", if you don't understand the difference, then there is a flaw in your logic.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    There is a difference between "Keep Racism out of Football" and "Put Racism in Football", if you don't understand the difference, then there is a flaw in your logic.
    They are both political issues. They are not just campaigning to keep racism out of the game itself, they are actively attempting to influence their audience to adopt non-racist views. How dare they use the football field as a platform for their politics!

Heh, yeah, I guess it must seem strange to some people that the continued fascination with Irish issues doesn't actually take place in Ireland itself. I guess it's the nature of the demographics in Scotland. Our Irish/Ulster immigrants (depending on what they would call themselves), whether Proddy or Catholic, were all working-class. Today, they are voiced through Rangers/Celtic, and they are pretty much the scum of Scottish society. Don't mind using the word scum either, I'm a part of it, I guess I'm just adopting the language used by the oh-so-righteous pc-bridage. They are working-class, come from crappy areas, and pretty much hate each other. Ireland on the other hand is a succesful country, and it has moved on. And the rest of Britain never cared in the first place.
    Without going into any detail or socio-economic blah blah blah I have nothing in common with those people as a County Mayo farmers son who has an engineering degree I can safely say we are not the same class at all.

My grandfathers who actually fought and then laid down there arms would not be capable of comprehending these people at all, they would not recognise themselves in them as opposed to either side in this arguement whose greatest achievement is probably beating people up at pub closing time

They are both political issues. They are not just campaigning to keep racism out of the game itself, they are actively attempting to influence their audience to adopt non-racist views. How dare they use the football field as a platform for their politics!
    This raises an interesting point though actively trying to inculcate some kind of middle class ethic in these people will fail until they actually ye know become middle class an all.

Plus when it suits them in soccer they are quite happy to ignore actual war and the like such as in Milosovic and Kosovo back during the qualifiers some years back.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 11-10-2010 at 03:31.

Do they dislike the poppy for their idea of Imperialism? If so they are very misguided.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Do they dislike the poppy for their idea of Imperialism? If so they are very misguided.
    Yes, pretty much, they are quite into Marxism. In a way I respect their views, if you think about it an Irish person is probably not going to want to wear the poppy.

This raises an interesting point though actively trying to inculcate some kind of middle class ethic in these people will fail until they actually ye know become middle class an all.
    You hit the nail on the head with the class dynamic. I remember reading on another forum where a Northern Irish Catholic explained their poppy situation, he was very critical of the middle-class Alliance-supporting Catholics who wear it to be pc.

The thing is here in Scotland the class dynamic is heavily tied to national identity. Scottish nationalism is very much for the middle-classes, it makes them feel warm and fuzzy when they think they have a quaint little culture and get to read nice poetry they don't understand, plus there is a bit of snobby-style xenophobia towards the English. Instead of going the "we are all the same route", I prefer the more open but in a way more respectful xenophobia of the Rangers/Celtic fans - just accept we are different, there are good reasons why we are different.

Reminds me of what one Orangeman said regarding a republican parade that was held in Glasgow, which caused some controversy since people walked around waving flags associated with the IRA and wearing paramilitary uniforms. He didn't get all righteous and try to restrict their freedoms, he just said "They have our parades and we have ours".

How much more respectful can you be?

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

To say "lets keep politics out of football" is silly, it's not as political as it used to be maybe, but it has been a force in politics and vice versa.

That said, I'm with Beskar in questioning whether the anti-racism campaign is political though. It's a social campaign -more like "quit smoking" than "vote for x" IMO. The campaign is not saying "don't vote BNP" after all.

if you think about it an Irish person is probably not going to want to wear the poppy.
    Why on earth not?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Why on earth not?

The heart of this goes back to the internal disagreement in Ireland itself over how independence was to be achieved here by either moderate or by violent means basically.

The Home Rule bill of 1914 was to be delayed for no longer than the duration of the WW1 and naturally everyone at the time thought the war will be over by Christmas so it will mean Home Rule some time in 1915-16. The Irish volunteers decided to march to the front to support Britain to as it were achieve freedom in Ireland and were led by John Redmond of the Irish Parlimentary Party, it was a disaster for moderates as the war dragged on and helped Sinn Fein to win the the 1918 election in Ireland on an anti-conscription ticket.

Afterwards when the War of Independence proper was started the Tans pretty much burned up the middle ground with every peasants house they destroyed. Ireland is a small closely knit country and my own Granduncle marched off with Redmond and he never came back from the front, afterwards my Grandfather then joined the IRA and fought the against British forces here according to him it was the British who betrayed us and not the other way round.

Later with the Civil War the bitterness was even more intense as brother fought brother, the casualty figures are unknown for this conflict but generally people believe/believed that more people died in one year of the civil war that thirty years of shooting in the North.

It's pretty easy to see now that taking a more large scale view of the whole thing the Poppy was going to be discarded as it remembers a war which ostensibly caused a massive bitter division in my country.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 11-10-2010 at 16:53.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Greatest football play ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIdI8khMkw
    RIP Tosa

brilliant it's just like Nani against Spurs no one expected it so they stood looking confused for a second and then it was too late.

Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 11-10-2010 at 16:28.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

politics does not belong in sport.

neither the silly anti-racism thing, nor sectarian politics.

and football sucks anyway.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post

Agreed on all three points I much prefer gaelic football myself and I only have a cursory interest in soccer and rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post

Pffft... boring. The rivalry is so much better when there's more than the sporting dimension to it.

Or are we still bitter after what happened after some of Rangers recent visits south of the border. (I guess this goes more for you, InsaneApache!, you like in Manchester, right?)

Or are we still bitter after what happened after some of Rangers recent visits south of the border. (I guess this goes more for you, InsaneApache!, you like in Manchester, right?)
    what happened was there some kind of trouble or something

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

brilliant it's just like Nani against Spurs no one expected it so they stood looking confused for a second and then it was too late.
    Not really, one was a well thought out trick, Nani just took advantage of idiotic refereeing.

Agreed on all three points I much prefer gaelic football myself and I only have a cursory interest in soccer and rugby.
    There's a reason why a billion or more plays football, while you can count those involved in "gaelic football"(or any other silly nonsense) on one hand.

Football is simply superior.

Also, I have a feeling that those who proclaim an interest in those silly sports are mainly into it just for the sake of being different to everyone else, just so that whenever football is discussed they have an excuse to not get involved and stay in the corner muttering "football sucks".

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Not really, one was a well thought out trick, Nani just took advantage of idiotic refereeing.
    Don't blame the ref, it's not his fault Gomes is a complete idiot.

Rule number one: Play until the whistle is blown.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 11-10-2010 at 17:04.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

This should get good, Rhyfelwyr is accusing IA of being a ManU fan.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post

Except when the linesman is signaling a free kick

And that play is illegal DD one is not allowed to snap the ball over his shoulder
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 11-10-2010 at 17:11.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post

I agree, Gomes was an idiot. Still, referees should only play the advantage when necessary, was there a likely counter attack on? No, the free kick should have been given. I know that by the letter of the law the referee did no wrong, the advantage rule is open to interpretation however, and the referees interpretation in this instance was moronic. I hate the criticism referees get, it's a thankless task and managers and players should be banned or fined more often over their conduct towards them, referees don't help themselves when they do things like that.

I have to say though, what really bugs me about that goal is Nani's celebration. You've taken advantage of a referee's mistake, at least have the decency to act like it.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 11-10-2010 at 17:17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast