Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EU budget talks collapse: Was Britain wrong to NOT negotiate in a 'European spirit'?

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: EU budget talks collapse: Was Britain wrong to NOT negotiate in a 'European spiri

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    broadly agreed idaho, hopefully the limited budget increase will put a crimp in the mission-creep.
    Fat chance. I imagine they'll just spend money they don't have and ask for more later.

The positives in the EU don't require the EU. They require specific treaties covering a specific point. So as issues are not intertwined, things can be sorted out as required, and not one issues used as a point of leverage for another. Of course that would also mean mission creep is much tougher as one would have to stipulate which treaty was enabling a specific action and not just shrugging of the shoulders and saying it's in there somewhere.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: EU budget talks collapse: Was Britain wrong to NOT negotiate in a 'European spiri

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Fat chance. I imagine they'll just spend money they don't have and ask for more later.

The positives in the EU don't require the EU. They require specific treaties covering a specific point. So as issues are not intertwined, things can be sorted out as required, and not one issues used as a point of leverage for another. Of course that would also mean mission creep is much tougher as one would have to stipulate which treaty was enabling a specific action and not just shrugging of the shoulders and saying it's in there somewhere.

ah, if only we could have exactly that!
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ah, if only we could have exactly that!
    What a bureaucratic and pointless waste it would be, you would make civil servants proud.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

i doubt it, you would scratch out 50% of the EU's bureaucratic and 'democratic' functions overnight, as it would revert to a simple harmonised free-trade zone.

and any inefficiency in the process of managing individual treaties would be worth it for their inherent restriction on mission creep.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They are legally separate treaties, but can be functionally addressed together - there are many laws, but not a police force for each of them!

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i doubt it, you would scratch out 50% of the EU's bureaucratic and 'democratic' functions overnight, as it would revert to a simple harmonised free-trade zone.

and any inefficiency in the process of managing individual treaties would be worth it for their inherent restriction on mission creep.
    Actually, if we scratched out all the national departments and move the major common policies to Brussels, it would cut EU bureaucratic wastage significantly and cut domestic wastage significantly as well.

Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Actually, if we scratched out all the national departments and move the major common policies to Brussels, it would cut EU bureaucratic wastage significantly and cut domestic wastage significantly as well.

quite, and yet you always skip over the part where seeking a democratic mandate from the people might be desirable, to state that such an entity would be both representative of their needs and thus legitimate, why is that?

i'd have that referendum tomorrow, would you?
    Last edited by Furunculus; 11-20-2010 at 14:25.

Personally I'd wait until monday. I'm off out for luncheon tomorrow.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Britain has had its referendum, and it has voted pro-Europe.

By contrast, nobody has ever asked the Scots, English and Welsh if they wanted to form a British Union. Nobody has ever asked any Briton whether he agreed to delegate British defense to NATO ('defense is the first duty of the state blahblah'). Nobody has ever asked any Briton if he wanted to join a Commonwelath together with Pakistan and Uganda.
    But the British have been consulted about Europe.

Moreover, Bitiain is a democratic country, The UK government acts on behalf of the people. Therefore we must assume that it is the continuing democratic wish of the British people to be part of the EU.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post

By contrast, nobody has ever asked the Scots, English and Welsh if they wanted to form a British Union. Nobody has ever asked any Briton whether he agreed to delegate British defense to NATO ('defense is the first duty of the state blahblah'). Nobody has ever asked any Briton if he wanted to join a Commonwelath together with Pakistan and Uganda.
    But the British have been consulted about Europe.

Moreover, Bitiain is a democratic country, The UK government acts on behalf of the people. Therefore we must assume that it is the continuing democratic wish of the British people to be part of the EU.
    Getting a bit confused there. You are saying that politicking and the absence of democracy in some areas justifies the same in others. I support democratic decisions regardless of whether they are the ones I would have chosen.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Nope. We voted for a trading bloc.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    I support democratic decisions regardless of whether they are the ones I would have chosen.
    very much agreed!

i am not greatly in favour of direct democracy, but the only time i demand a referendum is when the question is raised; who governs me?

by common consent and civil war we have reached acceptance that the british people will consent to be government by the british parliament, if that parliament wishes to give away its authority to govern the british people to some third party then I DEMAND to be consulted on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Nope. We voted for a trading bloc.
    yup, the question was: "Do you think the UK should stay in the European Community?"
    Last edited by Furunculus; 11-21-2010 at 13:04.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12