Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did Zeus never teach Athena to have some tolerance with Muslims?

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Did Zeus never teach Athena to have some tolerance with Muslims?

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    We sure do, and I've been through one 11 months and one week of military service.

No fighting there either.
    Impressive feats very impressive....

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    Impressive feats very impressive....
    Uhm, why? Fighting in the military is a sure way to get your behind thrown in jail, and that's not a place I'd like to be.

During my year up there I only heard of one fight, involving some drunken royal marines who were visiting for the NATO-excercise(will Philipvs rant on me for "hating on the brits" now?). Only a complete idiot would ever fight in the army.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Blog Entries

Uhm, why? Fighting in the military is a sure way to get your behind thrown in jail, and that's not a place I'd like to be.
    did they didn't teach you some close combat fighting? only firing rifles?

did they didn't teach you some close combat fighting? only firing rifles?
    How is training and learning how to fight even remotely connected to an actual fight...? That's like saying I have experience as a football coach because I play football manager.

Blog Entries

How is training and learning how to fight even remotely connected to an actual fight...? That's like saying I have experience as a football coach because I play football manager.
    after training, eating in the mess, two men left, but there was only one fried chicken:

A : hey! that's my chicken!
    B :NO! that's mine!
    A : hope you still remember today's training well...
    B : what?
    A : (punch at the stomach of B) never put your guard down!
    B : (sweep kick at A)
    ... (several exchange of hits)
    Instructor: Ok, ok, both of you! do 1000 push ups each!

well, only push ups are administered as punishments for fighting here, dunno the Norway laws are so harsh
    Last edited by Cute Wolf; 11-19-2010 at 16:06.

Remember kids, violence is awesome.
    This space intentionally left blank.

dunno the Norway laws are so harsh
    The non-sanctioned use of violence is illegal in all civilized countries.

Blog Entries

The non-sanctioned use of violence is illegal in all civilized countries.
    yeah... funny things happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Remember kids, violence is awesome.
    in some ways...
    like tom and jerry... love em when jerry sliced tom in two
    Last edited by Cute Wolf; 11-19-2010 at 16:14.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post

Excuse the vest, it's pure irony (givent he post) that some would have it be known as a "wife beater".
    The joke's on you, you just don't realise it

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Why is there any difference between a strong male hitting a weaker male, and a strong male hitting a weaker female?
    I do generally agree people should only pick on people their own size. But even weak males and females are different scenarios, its not all physical, males are more mentally predisposed to fighting/defending themselves.

The biological and social aspects probably complement each other, rather than only one being relevant, IMO.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I do generally agree people should only pick on people their own size. But even weak males and females are different scenarios, its not all physical, males are more mentally predisposed to fighting/defending themselves.

The biological and social aspects probably complement each other, rather than only one being relevant, IMO.
    by iron principle i only start fights with people i know i can wreck, and by extension avoid being wrecked.

but then, i haven't had a fight in a fvery long time...........

if a fight needs to be fought, then it needs to be won, otherwise why are you doing it?
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

and at some points of their lives, I bet every males will or have fight against each others, now, who here are male, but never ever doing brawls in highschool / univ?
    Me?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not really, a mother defending the nest is a bigger threat than a typical male.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

*sigh*

Allright, let's say you have a male and female that are exactly the same when it comes to both strength AND mental status.

Is there NOW any difference between them?

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

*sigh*

Allright, let's say you have a male and female that are exactly the same when it comes to both strength AND mental status.

Is there NOW any difference between them?
    No.

No.
    So then you agree with me: it's not bad to hit women, it's bad to hit those less capable of fighting than you are yourself.

Im with Strike and Rory on this one. There is nothing glorious about violence.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

So then you agree with me: it's not bad to hit women, it's bad to hit those less capable of fighting than you are yourself.
    And the avarage male just happens to be stronger. Repulsion against hitting women is repulsion against treating them like something you are allowed to abuse instead of treating them like an equal. I'd say women are superior really, fine with being their slave really they are much smarter, frees the mind for more important things such as bashing skulls.

@K, what's wrong with, it's much more weak to avoid it's simplicity. When you comfort a friend he knows enough when you squeeze his shoulder, you understand, that's enough. Same with busting his nose when he pisses you of. Advanced communication made simple, or should we go in therapy instead
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-20-2010 at 13:58.

Yes I do. Being a woman and being physically weaker tend to be pretty much synonymous. So you should never find yourself in a situation where you have to hit a woman.

I don't understand why physical violence is seen as so bad anyway.

If you think about it, if we see violence or harm against a person as being either physical or mental, then surely mental harm is more direct. Physical pain is only bad because it translated into mental anguish.

For example, my Gran, being a bit old fashioned, used to hit me with a strap or a spoon at times, but I always found that less bad than having a telling off that lasts half and hour, or having a football or whatever taken off me.

Yes I do. Being a woman and being physically weaker tend to be pretty much synonymous. So you should never find yourself in a situation where you have to hit a woman.
    In short; everyone now agrees with HoreTore's opening statement.

If you think about it, if we see violence or harm against a person as being either physical or mental, then surely mental harm is more direct. Physical pain is only bad because it translated into mental anguish.

For example, my Gran, being a bit old fashioned, used to hit me with a strap or a spoon at times, but I always found that less bad than having a telling off that lasts half and hour, or having a football or whatever taken off me.
    Because any abusive behaviour is seen as negative. Yelling or whatever is just as unnecessary. Want to end negative behaviour? Simply reward positive behaviour.

Some may think that as violence.Had your granny broken your nose, finger or a limb because of your behaviour, you might think otherwise.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Never set out to disagree, we were saying the same thing in different words, that was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Some may think that as violence.Had your granny broken your nose, finger or a limb because of your behaviour, you might think otherwise.
    Eh because that would be child abuse. Why pick an extreme example? I could do the same for mental abuse.

My point is why is physically harming someone seen as worse than inflicting suffering/punishment in non-phsyical ways?

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Because any abusive behaviour is seen as negative. Yelling or whatever is just as unnecessary. Want to end negative behaviour? Simply reward positive behaviour.
    Can I have my reward for not murdering anyone?
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Im with Strike and Rory on this one. There is nothing glorious about violence.
    Well that's just wrong. Violence IS glory. Ever hear any tales of glorious manners and etiquette? We may be dealing with a translation issue here but words like glory, valor, and honor incorporate violence into their code. The difference is in how it's used.

Relating back to Islam: Violence is, inherent in the system; however, the system matters less than the people in it as proven in this incident.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 11-24-2010 at 14:52.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Well that's just wrong. Violence IS glory. Ever hear any tales of glorious manners and etiquette? We may be dealing with a translation issue here but words like glory, valor, and honor incorporate violence into their code. The difference is in how it's used.

Relating back to Islam: Violence is, inherent in the system; however, the system matters less than the people in it as proven in this incident.
    Im talking about the real thing not about any stories. But it could be that in my language the word has different meaning then in yours.

Be it may that people love to hear stories about how a gentleman defended vigorously a helpless maiden in stress, from bunch of thugs. Or a soldier made a glorious final stand sacrificing himself and saving his whole platoon in the process. For some reason you hardly hear tales about when the gentleman got himself killed in a similar situation or soldier calling for her mother before drowning on his own blood filling his lungs. while dragging his legless torso in panic, just to get away from a battle.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 11-24-2010 at 18:06.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Im talking about the real thing not about any stories. But it could be that in my language the word has different meaning then in yours.

Be it may that people love to hear stories about how a gentleman defended vigorously a helpless maiden in stress, from bunch of thugs. Or a soldier made a glorious final stand sacrificing himself and saving his whole platoon in the process. For some reason you hardly hear tales about when the gentleman got himself killed in a similar situation on soldier calling for her mother before drowning on his own blood filling his lungs. while dragging his legless torso in panic, just to get away from a battle.
    Your post reminded me of a Top Gear episode where they explained sisu. I suppose that is a non-violent glory in that no one is seriously hurt but the cars sure took a beating.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Be it may that people love to hear stories about how a gentleman defended vigorously a helpless maiden in stress, from bunch of thugs. Or a soldier made a glorious final stand sacrificing himself and saving his whole platoon in the process. For some reason you hardly hear tales about when the gentleman got himself killed in a similar situation on soldier calling for her mother before drowning on his own blood filling his lungs. while dragging his legless torso in panic, just to get away from a battle.
    I've met the "hero" who tried to stand up to a mugger and got stabbed as I assisted in repairing his intestines.
    I treated the "hero" who tried to placate two having an argument and required stitches when a mate of theirs smacked him round the head with a piece of wood.

Those glorifying heroic events were often never anywhere near them. It's often been said that the victors never have glorious victories as they are the ones who have had a good look at the battlefield afterwards.

Similarly Loyalty was a tremedous premium in Medieval Japan as almost no one was.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Your post reminded me of a Top Gear episode where they explained sisu. I suppose that is a non-violent glory in that no one is seriously hurt but the cars sure took a beating.
    Yes.Sisu is bit hard concept to translate. I guess it is some odd mixture of being stubborn against odds and not minding any kind of set backs, still retaining your integrity, while the result could still be a failure. Hard thing to translate.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    I've met the "hero" who tried to stand up to a mugger and got stabbed as I assisted in repairing his intestines.
    I treated the "hero" who tried to placate two having an argument and required stitches when a mate of theirs smacked him round the head with a piece of wood.

Those glorifying heroic events were often never anywhere near them. It's often been said that the victors never have glorious victories as they are the ones who have had a good look at the battlefield afterwards.

Similarly Loyalty was a tremedous premium in Medieval Japan as almost no one was.

I agree completely.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 11-24-2010 at 18:11.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Yes.Sisu is bit hard concept to translate. I guess it is some odd mixture of being stubborn against odds and not minding any kind of set backs, still retaining your integrity, while the result could still be a failure. Hard thing to translate.
    Perseverance?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast