Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hate Makes The Backroom Great

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Hate Makes The Backroom Great

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-networks.html

Want more comments on your blog posts? A higher follower tally on Twitter? Then be prepared to resort to flaming to anger and upset people. That's the conclusion of a study into the role emotions play in online interaction.

A group of Slovenian and British researchers used something called "sentiment analysis" to identify emotional content in posts left on the BBC's online discussion forums and the link-sharing website digg.com.

The team's algorithms look for features such as keywords, emoticons, and subtle linguistic markers such as misspellings, and use the results to calculate a "happiness score" for each post.

They have found that long conversation threads are overwhelmingly more emotionally negative than short ones, with happiness scores decreasing logarithmically with the number of messages. What's more, long conversations almost always start with negative comments.

"If you want a long chat, don't start by saying 'I love this!', at least not online," says Mike Thelwall, head of the Statistical Cybermetrics research group in Wolverhampton, UK.

The researchers also noticed that avalanches of negative emotion – floods of messages with low happiness scores, spurred by a single post – produce self-organised behaviour amongst users.

Negative emotions accelerate the number of messages sent by users, in turn generating social groups from nowhere, says Thelwall. A single post can quickly generate a community of feeling if it is provocative enough.

In fact, this is all typically human behaviour. "There is evidence that group cohesiveness may be related to negative feelings about others," agrees Tom Buchanan, a psychologist at the University of Westminster in London. "Members of an online community might unite around a perceived attack on them or some aspect of their identity."

Thankfully, the researchers have some advice for those that would rather steer clear of bad feeling online. "We've seen that the least vigorous discussions tend to be about ageing rock stars," says Thelwall.
    Personally, I think this is a stupid study by stupid people and the conclusions it reaches are all wrong. I hate them and want them to die. I also hate you, and I want you to die, but that's a separate issue. Also, you are Hitler.

Default Re: Hate Makes The Backroom Great

I love this! Great info!
    This space intentionally left blank

Call me biased, but I would expect the least vigorous people to be into “aging rock stars”...
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 12-07-2010 at 22:59.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I wonder how much money they spent to determine that successful trolls were, in fact, successful?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Personally, I think this is a stupid study by stupid people and the conclusions it reaches are all wrong.
    What kvatch that study. Never noticed anything of the kind. Least of all in our very own Backroom.

Hitler
    I have noticed that the Jews are the greatest fascists on the planet. Besides Hitler was Jewish himself.

Not to be mean or derogatory or anything, I mean, some of my best friends are fascists....
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    I love this! Great info!
    What's with this trolling?

Felt the need for sarcastic remarks? Couldn't control yourself? Wanted to ruin another discussion?
    Not everything

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I wonder how much money they spent to determine that successful trolls were, in fact, successful?
    Ah yes well but by calling trolls succesful you have just fed the trolls well done the first rule of the internet is to not feed the trolls apparantly you dobn't know this to think they made you a mod jesus christ
    Not everything

hmm, if you sort the backroom threads by number of replies, the biggest single subject thread is "joyous tidings from israel". Study disproved.

Oh hai guyz....

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

meh, this is all too positive for me. Louis, start another hate thread please.

So what exactly are we trying to do here? Disprove this study?

In any case, while I may not agree with you all the time, I think you're all pretty smart and nice enough guys. Thank you.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

IIRC my longest discussions have been the most respectful ones.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

the eu thread would certainly argue in favour of this conclusion, even if all the hot air was generated by perceived slight.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Personally, I think this is a stupid study by stupid people and the conclusions it reaches are all wrong.
    It's probably funded by Palestinian terrorists who want to overthrow their Israelian oppressors.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    I hate them and want them to die. I also hate you, and I want you to die, but that's a separate issue.
    It's because of people like you that guns should be forbidden.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    Also, you are Hitler.
    And you're a Catholic who is against abortion.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post

[...]

Ah, I see...

So it is okay to kill a white baby, but your heart start to bleed when a black criminal is killed, who, as a criminal sat about killing others! Such blatant hypocrisy is only to be expected from the lefties.

Nice anti-Catholic slur btw.
    Not everything

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

...And you're a Catholic who is against abortion.
    Doctrinally, that's redundant.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    meh, this is all too positive for me. Louis, start another hate thread please.
    Your opinions are cookie cutter euro social welfare

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    So what exactly are we trying to do here? Disprove this study?

In any case, while I may not agree with you all the time, I think you're all pretty smart and nice enough guys. Thank you.
    Secert muslim. girly man

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    IIRC my longest discussions have been the most respectful ones.
    backwards religous zealot

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    the eu thread would certainly argue in favour of this conclusion, even if all the hot air was generated by perceived slight.
    Youre english which means you have bad teeth and bad humor to go along with that rediculos name you piciked for yourself

It's probably funded by Palestinian terrorists who want to overthrow their Israelian oppressors.

You're blonde and like to whine in the frontroom

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Doctrinally, that's redundant.
    If you like Ireland so much why don't you marry it? You're also from NJ, the hellhole of America

Ah, I see...

So it is okay to kill a white baby, but your heart start to bleed when a black criminal is killed, who, as a criminal sat about killing others! Such blatant hypocrisy is only to be expected from the lefties.

Nice anti-Catholic slur btw
    Either heterosexual with homo erotic tendencies or homosexual with hetero tendencies, either way you're not getting laid.

Your opinions are absolute bull, yet you have the great gift of being a bull artist so you're able to wrap up the horse manure you call an opinion in so much fluff that most people on here think you have some semblance of intellgence
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Either heterosexual with homo erotic tendencies or homosexual with hetero tendencies, either way you're not getting laid.

Your opinions are absolute bull, yet you have the great gift of being a bull artist so you're able to wrap up the horse manure you call an opinion in so much fluff that most people on here think you have some semblance of intellgence

So very spot on!
    Not everything

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post

So very spot on!
    There goes the thread...and, get a room, guys.
    This space intentionally left blank

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

You, over there, reading this thread! All of you listen to mee

You cannot belong here! I find your mother's face capable of scaring baby ducks! On Tuesdays, you tell war stories that never happened to a nude photographer. Is your tiny brain comprehendifying this now??? Your children have the look of an inbred pachyderm. When I see them, it makes my stomach churn grumpily. When you were born, doctor call police, and they come shoot you with mace. You ugly! Don't come around back room now! Go back to playing Halo, redneck hillbilly. When you all done squeezing out thirteen child, call Kevorkian and have him solve your issue. No slit wrist, make me have to clean up. You ugly face... butt farty fart fart fart.

YOU UNDERSTAND, OK??? BRAIN IN NOGGIN???

I hate all of you.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    There. Now you're back on topic.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 12-09-2010 at 03:29.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

This thread had nothing to do with Poles until you vulgarly mocked an entire nations posting style. Thanks alot ATPG

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat View Post
    This thread had nothing to do with Poles until you vulgarly mocked an entire nations posting style. Thanks alot ATPG
    Go back in Mongolia Tree! I know how spell it. Dont' lecture now.

#Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

If anger, vitriol and a constant state of enraged diatribe boots the "success" of a forum or blog, Tosa should have put Idaho, Jag, & Gawain on his payroll... and he should have gotten blackmail material on good ole' Soly & his "ban-stick" as a hedge against him ever leaving as a moderator.

We do our best to get our blood-pressure up, but nothing compares to the good old days...I swear I expected to log in one day and find out one of our more agitated members had tracked down another and gotten into it in the street.

P.S. Hi Prole, hi ATPG. Good to see you guys, and merry Christmas.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

This reminds me of that time I saw Hawkwind at Dour Fest.

My kingdom for a .

I don't see what is new about this study?

I thought this had been well known for years.. And not just limited to the internet..

so *shrugs*
    Few are born with it, even fewer know what to do with it.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
    I don't see what is new about this study?

I thought this had been well known for years.. And not just limited to the internet..

so *shrugs*
    Why are you hating on people stating the obvious?

Hater.

My kingdom for a .

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post

So very spot on!
    Really.

This is so below the standard of the olden days. What ever happened to great French taunting? Now all we get is French letters.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i wonder what the formula is for happiness declining in a thread XD

We do not sow.

It's marvelous to see how we're trying our very best to be offensive, but compared to random YouTube comments...

No, I don't think so.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    It's marvelous to see how we're trying our very best to be offensive, but compared to random YouTube comments...

No, I don't think so.
    I don't want more warning points

Banquo has consistently turned down my flirtations :(
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast