Poll: What percentage?

Thread: What is your idea of an ideal society?

Default What is your idea of an ideal society?

Let's have a little poll, shall we?

Let's say we create a new country, Backroomistan, and you're the lovable tyrant in charge. If you could decide what percentage of criminals get caught, what would it be? In other words, where do you draw the line between individual rights and the need to protect against crime?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: What is your idea of an ideal society?

Black Hair
    Grey eyes
    36-24-36
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I would start by removing the victimless crimes.

Drugs, as an example.

Edit: How do you put a % on this? It's not like we have a clear formula to work with.
    Few are born with it, even fewer know what to do with it.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Let's have a little poll, shall we?

Let's say we create a new country, Backroomistan, and you're the lovable tyrant in charge. If you could decide what percentage of criminals get caught, what would it be? In other words, where do you draw the line between individual rights and the need to protect against crime?
    that is not defined by the % of criminals you want to catch....it's defined by what laws you put into effect.
    Capture of 100% of criminals should always be the ultimate goal....I´d just make a bunch of stuff not ilegal any more.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
    I would start by removing the victimless crimes.

Drugs, as an example.

Edit: How do you put a % on this? It's not like we have a clear formula to work with.
    Of course we do. Let's call the number of crimes solved a and the total number of crimes b. That gives us:

(a*100)/b=x%

The laws you have in place will affect the percentage of criminals caught, as will the level of police funding. Giving more cash to the police will undoubtedly make the percentage of crimes solved go up, but how high will you allow it to go, considering the other factors you will have to take into account?

In short, what will be your ideal percentage?

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As Ronin said, I'd start by making loads of things that are currently crimes not offences any more, mainly drugs and prostitution which would instead be covered where required by other laws based on breaching the peace etc.

There were crimes in Nazi Germany, the USSR, Cuba and everywhere else. So surveillance and reduction in rights in itself does not create a crime free society. I imagine the only true way is to make nothing a crime...

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Percents like those are for law enforcement agencies with a warped set of priorities. Ronin's approach is much better.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    As Ronin said, I'd start by making loads of things that are currently crimes not offences any more, mainly drugs and prostitution which would instead be covered where required by other laws based on breaching the peace etc.

There were crimes in Nazi Germany, the USSR, Cuba and everywhere else. So surveillance and reduction in rights in itself does not create a crime free society. I imagine the only true way is to make nothing a crime...

.....which is why the question wasn't "how do you get rid of crime". Abolishing all crime would mean nobody is a criminal(0%), if that is what you want then that's your answer.... If it's not, and you do not believe that you can catch all criminals, then you belong somewhere between 1% and 99%.

My question is where.

Figure out what laws and such you want in your ideal society, think about what that society will look like and try guessing what % of crimes in that society will be solved...
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-09-2010 at 22:11.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    .....which is why the question wasn't "how do you get rid of crime". Abolishing all crime would mean nobody is a criminal(0%), if that is what you want then that's your answer.... If it's not, and you do not believe that you can catch all criminals, then you belong somewhere between 1% and 99%.

My question is where.

Figure out what laws and such you want in your ideal society, think about what that society will look like and try guessing what % of crimes in that society will be solved...
    You can't decide what percentage of "criminals get caught" unless you say only the guilty get caught, and everyone caught is guilty, then you get 100%.

You decide what is harmful to society and by how much, then you pass a law restricting/banning that behaviour and setting a punishment.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    You can't decide what percentage of "criminals get caught" unless you say only the guilty get caught, and everyone caught is guilty, then you get 100%.

You decide what is harmful to society and by how much, then you pass a law restricting/banning that behaviour and setting a punishment.
    No, none of these things are objections to thinking up a number, as you will just have to factor them in....

But it sounds like you guys need an example:

"40%" is a number usually thrown around when it comes to crime statistics in the US. So as an example, let's start with that society and turn it into our ideal one. Let's say you don't like the patriot act, and you say that removing that law takes down 10%(remember,, this is just an example to show how I'm thinking). You also say that weed should be legalized. In your opinion, this will reduce the number of criminals, which will in turn increase the percentage of caught criminals(since weed-related stuff won't be a crime anymore). You say that takes it up 25%(allright, percent-points to be exact but who cares), giving you 55% now. Then you envisage increasing the funding of the police quite a bit, which you believe will be about half as effective as legalizing weed, so adding another 12,5% giving you a grand total of 67,5%.

And so you vote "60-69%" and give me the results I'm looking for

If my intention still isn't clear I'll happily explain further....

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I'm not sure what the results will show, since the methods and results (such as those in your example) are so diverse. It seems the changes to laws and enforcement techniques would be much more relevant and meaningful than some final number you arrive at, especially since the changes in percent caught are all wild guesses anyway.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Interesting how people have talked about what laws to remove, but no one mentioned adding laws.

One wonders if this has significance.
    Few are born with it, even fewer know what to do with it.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In my ideal society, no one would commit crime in the first place, so the question is pointless.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish View Post
    I'm not sure what the results will show, since the methods and results (such as those in your example) are so diverse. It seems the changes to laws and enforcement techniques would be much more relevant and meaningful than some final number you arrive at, especially since the changes in percent caught are all wild guesses anyway.
    Noone's stopping you from explaining your reasoning(and this being the backroom, I figured that will happen automatically anyway, like it has already...).

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    In my ideal society, no one would commit crime in the first place, so the question is pointless.
    Certainly not!

Put yourself down for a "0"