Thread: Ancient Greetings...

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Ancient Greetings...

Do we know how the ancients salute eachother during the EB time frame?
    The only one I know is the latin "Ave" and I'm not even sure if that can be considered colloquial...

Default Re: Ancient Greetings...

In Latin, the general greeting in person and in letters was salve or salvete for plural. The Greeks as a greeting would say chaire or chairete for plural.

These were verbs used in the imperative and used in an idiomatic sense. For example, salve is from the verb salvere: to be well or in good health. In a way, you were ordering the addressee to be well in your greeting. You can probably then see etymological derivatives of this word.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Never knew of "Salve", in Italian is still used ^^
    Thank you abou...
    Anyone knows any greeting from different languages?

Unbowed Unbent Unbroken Member Lazy O's Avatar

Salam. (peace)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[21:16:17] [Gaius - 5.115.253.115]
    i m not camping , its elegant strategy of waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy O View Post
    Salam. (peace)
    Is that old persian? Because I know that it's at least a greeting in modern persian (farsi).
    https://europabarbarorum.com/i/sigimages/hay-sig.jpg

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's Semitic, actually. The Jewish word for peace is "shalom". Presumably the Persians adopted it after the Arabic conquest.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν Member tsidneku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abou View Post
    In Latin, the general greeting in person and in letters was salve or salvete for plural. The Greeks as a greeting would say chaire or chairete for plural.

These were verbs used in the imperative and used in an idiomatic sense. For example, salve is from the verb salvere: to be well or in good health. In a way, you were ordering the addressee to be well in your greeting. You can probably then see etymological derivatives of this word.
    Yeah, abou's got it in the bag. χαίρε (chaire - sg.)or χαιρέτε (chairete - pl.) for the classical Greek greeting. χαιρεῖν is a verb that can also mean "to rejoice". And salve (sg.) or salvete (pl.) for the Latin.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walle View Post
    Is that old persian? Because I know that it's at least a greeting in modern persian (farsi).
    It's specifically Arabic: and actualy, it was pretty rarely used before Islam-but used nonetheless. and it's a contration of "as-salamu alayka", which translates literally to "peace on you" (as-salamu alaykum, often nowadays incorrectly used on individuals, actually grammatically should be used on a group of people)

more common greetings back then were to basically "order" the guy to have evil spirits cast off of them, or to be protected by a given deity, or some other invocation.

unfortunately fo you, I don't remember the exact terms in Arabic itself. it may be that "ahlan wa sahlan" is pre-islamic in origin (it translates to "a family and path"; it's a contration of "7ulilta ahlan wa wati'ta sahlan", which translates to "you have come by a family (i.e, will be treated like one) and stepped into an easy path"
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 12-29-2010 at 04:47.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by abou View Post
    A lot of modern greetings also seem to be concerned with health. To hail, for example, or the Slavic (in this case Czech) zdravit which I think is cognate with zdravý, healthy. I don't know if this usage of the words is from Latin. If it isn't, I guess it could mean that this way of greeting goes back a long time. Some examples from other IE languages would be helpful.
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)