Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan-based map progression thread

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Default Fan-based map progression thread

I think it would be a fun idea if we tracked the campaign map from the official previews of the EB team

Here is what has been filled so far.

Gromit at the twc posted a map with orange shaded areas that potentially could have the last few unrevealed factions which could ignite some good discussions!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also I stress this is a fan-based creation and not an official reveal of the campaign map.

I will try to update this with every official EB preview that has a map. Also if I have forgotten any factions please let me know! The colours chosen for factions are based solely on what is easy to see/what colours I have in Microsoft Paint.

EDIT: Adjusted map 10/04/2012
    Last edited by stratigos vasilios; 04-10-2012 at 08:25.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    We love you Goku!

Default Re: Fan-based map progression thread

nice, tho afaik pergamon and romani are pretty obvious ;)

and you forgot the pritanoi who also are not as obvious as the above.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Celto-Germanic Spearman Member Kuningaz's Avatar

yup, the Pritanoi are missing, plus the Boii's starting regions probably won't be the ones shown in the preview (I think it was said, that they'd be revised again)
    very nice idea though, hopefully there'll be more to fill out soon ;)

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Indeed, Pergamon is obvious, it'll be the province of Mysia, and that's it.

Bosporan Kingdom will be either Pantikapaion alone, or Pantikapaion and Chersonesos.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 01-02-2011 at 21:21.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Thanks guys, I added in Pritanoi to the OP and Ludens helped me with my image problems! I would like to put all the factions in with their starting points (i.e. guess where they are) but I'll let the team reveal that, it'll look better than me cheaply drawing it in :-P
    We love you Goku!

The Boii territory is indeed going to be reworked, we also actually told you all the starting province of the Pritanoi, its the landlocked province in Southern England (Penncrugon).
    The Bosporan Kingdom starts with Patikapaion.

Most of the other factions have the same borders as before, although some are quite different.

You can add Pergamon (in fact it says in the Pergamon Stele that they'll just start with Mysia) and the Bosporan Kingdom, since they're both looking like single-province starts.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 01-03-2011 at 23:16.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Well if no one objects to me drawing it in paint, I shall. Although I was trying to avoid drawing them in but rather fill in the map from EB team previews. Otherwise you could argue all factions from EBI should be drawn in the map now...
    Last edited by stratigos vasilios; 01-04-2011 at 03:23.
    We love you Goku!

Captain of Team Awesome Member Ignopotens's Avatar

I'd say only add the factions that we can verify with starting territories we can verify from the previews. Currently un-previewed factions from EB1 should be left off because we already know that some of the territories will be reworked, possibly changing shape etc.
    The Lord of Fire

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

I was just thinking of posting a similar thread the other day in work. Bravo!

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Thanks man. I edited the first post to put in the new map, it'll be good to slowly fill out the map as we go along.
    We love you Goku!

Central and eastern Europe are looking a lot more engaging. Greece and Asia minor is going to be even more of a bloodbath than it is now.

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Mamla'ha biMassylim???
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

What city/cities were they to start with?
    We love you Goku!

I think that is the new province of Tiskat betwen Numidia & Byzacena. The capital of this new province is Tocai (Dougga)

from Brave Brave Sir Robin
    from Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Where are the days of threads like the art of keeping a secret? Ah them good old days...

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Where are the days of threads like the art of keeping a secret? Ah them good old days...
    It was a Lost Art back then already, what did you expect?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

i think you have the colors wrong in your map
    the faction symbols ought to represent the colors the faction does have so looking at that symbols the bosporan kindom will be red and pergamon blue
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

But it was Sarcasm!?

the boii and luigiones seem too big imho they´ll probably just start with 1 region (well maybe not the boii they where a powerfull confederation able to sack delphos but then again we don´t know much about their political unity )

also the arverni and eduii are probably in the same place (altough there´s that endless debate about how strong was the alliance beteween the eduii and that tribe of northern italy and if they should be included)

the lusitani and sabah and sweboz will not change so you can add that in

you might aswell also add in the eremus regions (including the one´s in pict territory)

ptolomaioi and seleukids and pontus and hai and saka and parthians and baktrians will probably not be changed so you can also include them already

and ofc \0 the arevaci don´t forget the arevaci

Ooh how I long for the day when Normandy and Flanders are filled with a faction colour.

Diviciacus rides again!

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    the boii and luigiones seem too big imho they´ll probably just start with 1 region (well maybe not the boii they where a powerfull confederation able to sack delphos but then again we don´t know much about their political unity )

also the arverni and eduii are probably in the same place (altough there´s that endless debate about how strong was the alliance beteween the eduii and that tribe of northern italy and if they should be included)

the lusitani and sabah and sweboz will not change so you can add that in

you might aswell also add in the eremus regions (including the one´s in pict territory)

ptolomaioi and seleukids and pontus and hai and saka and parthians and baktrians will probably not be changed so you can also include them already
    What makes you think we don't change any of those starting positions, province bounderies etc,...? Everything got redone from scratch and researched again, often by other people. So think they'd all remain the same is rather silly. Most factions will have rather big changes comming.

Most factions will have rather big changes comming.
    you just won't stop teasing us eh?
    cmon mr. moros leak us hungry folks some information ;)
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

You may jest, but there is no value in secrecy over a period this long. All that happens is people's enthusaism dissipates and they find other things to occupy them.

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    you just won't stop teasing us eh?
    cmon mr. moros leak us hungry folks some information ;)
    As I'm only working on two factions I can't really list them. But assuming provinces, settlements, starting positions,... is madness. There's new material since research days of EB I, new members,... logically a lot has changed. Compare some of the previous previews with those from EB I. The pritanoi have probably changed more than most factions, but most have a lot of similar changes as well.

For example in Arabia, I think almost all settlements and provinces have new names. Some are changed for other settlements, almost all borders have changed as well. Most parts of the map had been changed quite a bit with extra provinces here, fewer there, settlements that got swapped or relocated,... Now Arabia and Brittain are more extreme cases, true.

@Quitus:
    I'm not sure if you know what I'm referring to. Also a lot is secret because it's not ready, fully debated or researched yet. How can I tell you about for example the new sabaean ethnicities or how their buildings will be if we haven't worked them out yet. We try our best to make previews once in a while. Sure you could say we could at least say something like whihc factions are in. But when we do reveal a faction we want them presented in good way, one that is backed up by sources and research. We've got some fans who ask difficult questions sometimes and who don't want us to present them historically correct as well.

i was just rambling moros :\

I'm not sure if you know what I'm referring to. Also a lot is secret because it's not ready, fully debated or researched yet. How can I tell you about for example the new sabaean ethnicities or how their buildings will be if we haven't worked them out yet. We try our best to make previews once in a while. Sure you could say we could at least say something like whihc factions are in. But when we do reveal a faction we want them presented in good way, one that is backed up by sources and research. We've got some fans who ask difficult questions sometimes and who don't want us to present them historically correct as well.
    I'm well aware of the team's standards of historicity, but there's a tension at work there. Confirming, for example, that there is a Numidian faction doesn't actually require the production of a completed, fully-researched preview. That's a lot of additional work that could be happening after it's merely said "yes, Numidia is one of the new factions". Assuming of course the research has reached a stage where the team are happy that it will indeed be included as a faction.

All I'm saying is that in the gap between confirmation and completion of a faction, little is lost by simply saying "look out for this faction, soon to appear in preview". What's gained is a moderation of interest at a certain level and management of expectations, rather than peaks and troughs of attention. With a timeframe as long as this, each of those troughs may result in numbers of people simply losing interest and not returning.

After all there's a long history of mods that never see light of day, with all the anticipation and excitement coming to nothing. I guess I should add as a pinch of salt, I'm someone who considers "surprise" to be worthless, so that colours my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    After all there's a long history of mods that never see light of day, with all the anticipation and excitement coming to nothing. I guess I should add as a pinch of salt, I'm someone who considers "surprise" to be worthless, so that colours my perspective.
    Others don't, and neither do we. If you aren't particularly interested in following EB, then you don't need to. Just keep an eye on the old Twitter, and when there is a release you will hear about it. We enjoy surprising our fans with previews of new content, and we enjoy watching them guess (and so much of the content of these forums is speculative conversations). This is how we've always run things, and there is no reason to change.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    Others don't, and neither do we. If you aren't particularly interested in following EB, then you don't need to. Just keep an eye on the old Twitter, and when there is a release you will hear about it. We enjoy surprising our fans with previews of new content, and we enjoy watching them guess (and so much of the content of these forums is speculative conversations). This is how we've always run things, and there is no reason to change.

Foot
    That's about as categoric a refutation of my position as I could ask for! :)

Fair enough, it's your team and you know what motivates them best.

quintus sertorious for someone with a roman name you haven´t read the classics all that well i assume or else you would have read seneca and understand that presenting a faction and then due to the lack of historicity having it removed would break people´s expectations and as seneca states "rage comes from broken expectations" so the last thing the team should do should be to break people´s expectations

i mean seriously when the game finally comes out most people will eventually return and even those that don´t imediatly will end up showing up even if it´s a year or 2 after the game was released, it´s not like the eb team gains cash from adds from people entering the site so they don´t really need the extra attention (or distraction) if they made cash then we could expect stuff like what you said wich is marketing and masses management and the team would make like 1 preview per week and after 2 or 3 years "sorry the fallowing factions won´t appear on the game"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast