Thread: OT: Oldest winery found

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: OT: Oldest winery found

See, I told you they lived caves, Vartan.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Klibanophoros Ton Rhomaioktono Member Duguntz's Avatar

i saw it... good artiocle... prooving armenians were cavemen... XD No, Vartan it's a joke! You know the addage : we bully the most those we love the most :D
    Opinions are like bacteries : we all have, but it's better to keep them for ourself... (By me!)

generously given by Nachtmeister
    generously given by Macilrille for Sweboz combat tactics
    Generously given by Brennus

I always wondered which wine was more prevalent in the classical times... white, red or Rosa wine?

100th post :-)

Klibanophoros Ton Rhomaioktono Member Duguntz's Avatar

The red... Though traces of white wine have been found also in jars of the tomb of Tutankamon, so they had choice. But red wine was much more widespread for consumption and ritualistic use.

What I've foung amazing is that, from a archeological expedition they discovered that in egyptian pharaohs tombs, often they had three kind of wine from wich to choose from in the afterlife, meaning that,k although without any appelation system (the first modern appelation system, I read, apeared in Portugal in the... don't remember between 17 or 19 century, but one of those two century for sure) they still had a choice of flavour to accompagny their meal.

Now for the article, it is very interesting. However, archeologist and historians believe that wine was produced much before the rests found in armenia, though prooves of it did not survive time. IMO, I believe it is true : it's not because we can't see sopmething that it dosent, or did not exist...
    Opinions are like bacteries : we all have, but it's better to keep them for ourself... (By me!)

generously given by Nachtmeister
    generously given by Macilrille for Sweboz combat tactics
    Generously given by Brennus

I wonder if anyone was selling insurance for such accidents back then.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

the archeologists are going to produce wine with a model of the same equipment they found in that cave. Grape seeds were also found and after analysis it belongs to the group of gapes known as "old world grapes." Its interesting, they say that the wine produced then would be much like the wines we drink now. More like an unfiltered wine.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artavazd View Post
    the archeologists are going to produce wine with a model of the same equipment they found in that cave. Grape seeds were also found and after analysis it belongs to the group of gapes known as "old world grapes." Its interesting, they say that the wine produced then would be much like the wines we drink now. More like an unfiltered wine.
    proof that you do not need technology (or Brains), to get topped off.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Wait, does this mean that wine is older than beer?

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderthegreater View Post
    Wine is simpler to make. Just ferment some fruit. Bad wine is easy to make. Beer is an intensive process.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Duguntz View Post
    Now for the article, it is very interesting. However, archeologist and historians believe that wine was produced much before the rests found in armenia, though prooves of it did not survive time. IMO, I believe it is true : it's not because we can't see sopmething that it dosent, or did not exist...
    The human mind is very imaginative and it will never cease to be so, hence the constant desire to think and conjure up stories and ideas of the nonexistent pasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderthegreater View Post
    Wine is most likely older than beer for, if not any other reason, procedural reasons, as was mentioned in this thread.

P.S. Bad, bad munky

EDIT: By the way, this find was to be expected. The Sumerians wrote that they obtained wine for their courts from the Armenian Highlands. They couldn't ask for better wine!
    Last edited by vartan; 01-23-2011 at 23:33.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Yes, the natural climate control of a cave would make it most suitable for the production and storage of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Yes, the natural climate control of a cave would make it most suitable for the production and storage of wine.
    That wasn't (and isn't) the primary use of our caves.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)