Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epirote General's Bodyguard steamrolling everthing?

Default Epirote General's Bodyguard steamrolling everthing?

Aside from my KH campaign which is going on nicely i decided to give Epirote a try and noticed that my Generals bodyguards can literally destroy an army of 1000 men on their own! O.o

Are the Successor cavalry in EB really this powerful? I've experienced Hit and run in an all new method! hahaha i'm slicing the Romans like hot knife through butter with just Cavalry
    Current Campaigns

"tu regere imperio populos, Romane, memento"—"Roman, remember by your strength to rule the Earth's peoples!"

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Epirote General's Bodyguard steamrolling everthing?

they are deadly, with pretty good stamina, and unlike the Heavier Hetairoi Bodyguard, these men are faster (because they has less armour)

of course, once your enemy field a lot of slingers, your opinion may change

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

compared to KH and Romani cavalry many factions have badass BGs jus try the eastern/nomadic BG THEY are REALLLY deadly

tho epirotes have proved very valueable aswell
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Don't leave your general anywhere that slingers can target them, and kill the slingers with decent archers.

Not sure how you're managing to destroy lots of infantry with cavalry alone, I use Epeiros for my migrated Pergamon game, and they need to be charging to the rear to be effective.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Unbowed Unbent Unbroken Member Lazy O's Avatar

Speed in RTW is not related to armour instead it is related to the mount used. And yea they are pretty damn effective at tearing up them silly romans on their own

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[21:16:17] [Gaius - 5.115.253.115]
    i m not camping , its elegant strategy of waiting

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Sauromatae:

I am glad the bodyguards got fixed in ETW, I mean until Med II Kingdoms you could use BG cavalry as your standard issue, self regenerating, battle swaying, ultra heavy cavalry.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

JESUS MOTHER OF CHRIST Fluvius!!!

and i thought i was good with Sauromatae BG's

hmm.. it seems like you have upgraded them nicely? :)
    War is a puzzle with morphing pieces

I make Ancient Weapons and Armor

Aren't those (impossible to get) gold weapon and armour upgrades?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Not in the EB for Alexander.Not so bad modification,but implemented ideas are not exactly my cup of tea.Very overpowerd cavalry is one of them.It use great engine with really improved AI,but in same time kill all his benefits with unbalanced units.

You can reach Pontos victory condition with nothing more then 1 FM and 2 recruited generals u have from start.And such journey consist things like defeat 7200 gold chevroned galatians with 12 Galatian "Wild Men" Infantry inside,or beat the full stack of horse archers twice in row......

You can also try the Getai BGs. They have better stats as heavy cavalry but also have the near universal barbarian trait of good stamina horses.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by william weedzor View Post
    Not in the EB for Alexander.Not so bad modification,but implemented ideas are not exactly my cup of tea.Very overpowerd cavalry is one of them.It use great engine with really improved AI,but in same time kill all his benefits with unbalanced units.

You can reach Pontos victory condition with nothing more then 1 FM and 2 recruited generals u have from start.And such journey consist things like defeat 7200 gold chevroned galatians with 12 Galatian "Wild Men" Infantry inside,or beat the full stack of horse archers twice in row......
    I had a Parthian game on M/VH where I conquered 1/2 of the AS with nothing but 3 BGs and 4 HA so it is quite doable if you are patient enough.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I remember having to sic an entire half stack on a single Sarmatian bodyguard, and feeling lucky that I won.

Thank God for Haploi.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the only one to partially fix that BG overuse is giving everyone else 2 HP (and triple the current lethality), so cavalry charges become gimp and they can actually slaughtered in melee

and assuming that the trend of badass general's bodyguard will be back in Shogun2

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Thanks for all the replies! I'm having so much fun with the Epirote i might just consider playing it as my main campaign rather than my KH game! and awesome job Fluvius Camillus! i like how 22 men can own 2000 hahaha
    Current Campaigns

"tu regere imperio populos, Romane, memento"—"Roman, remember by your strength to rule the Earth's peoples!"

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    Sauromatae:

I am glad the bodyguards got fixed in ETW, I mean until Med II Kingdoms you could use BG cavalry as your standard issue, self regenerating, battle swaying, ultra heavy cavalry.

~Fluvius
    Custom Battles? man 3 gold Chevrons is near-to-impossible in campaign
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Sauromatae:

How come the named character called Captain?

Quote Originally Posted by Finn MacCumhail View Post
    How come the named character called Captain?
    It's not a named character, but the bodyguard unit as recruitable/Custom battle unit.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

No it is not, I am unable to explain this, though. Especially if you see, cannot be upgraded.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Grade_A_Beef View Post
    You can also try the Getai BGs. They have better stats as heavy cavalry but also have the near universal barbarian trait of good stamina horses.
    I always go for the two handed lance charges, I fare far better with them than the one handed long lance (Hellenic Med, Sacred Band and Getai BG etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by -42- View Post
    I remember having to sic an entire half stack on a single Sarmatian bodyguard, and feeling lucky that I won.

Thank God for Haploi.
    In my Baktria campaign, SIX Triple gold chev FMs roamed the steppes. Killing this Sauromatae was like evading Hannibal. I could not meet that army in the field or anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Septimus Severus View Post
    Custom Battles? man 3 gold Chevrons is near-to-impossible in campaign
    As the picture above shows, it is not that hard to come close!

It's not a named character, but the bodyguard unit as recruitable/Custom battle unit.
    Indeed.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy O View Post
    Speed in RTW is not related to armour instead it is related to the mount used. And yea they are pretty damn effective at tearing up them silly romans on their own
    If speed is related to the mount used, which mount is the best in terms of speed? Which mount is the best in terms of endurance?
    Last edited by Heilong; 01-21-2011 at 00:59.

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heilong View Post
    If speed is related to the mount used, which mount is the best in terms of speed? Which mount is the best in terms of endurance?
    Fast ones with good stamina of course.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Of topic question, How do you role-play the Epeiros? The Aiakides are the Royal Family of Epeiros right? and Pyrrhos is the Patriarch of the Aiakides Dynasty? I like taking things slow so i haven't taken all of Greece yet and i do plan to let Pyrrhos conquer all of Sicily before he dies.
    Current Campaigns

In EB Epirus starts off led by Pyrrhus. Historically Pyrrhus was killed in Argos (which is nearer to Corinth than it is to Sparta) in 272 BC, in the first year of the EB campaign, after taking Pella in 273 BC. Basically he attacked both Macedon and Koinon Hellenon at the same time, in a brave but possibly suicidal strategy! He attacked but failed to take Sparta, and then died fighting in Argos, which was allied to Macedon.

You can duplicate this in EB by taking Pella immediately, then leave it with a tiny garrison and move the rest of your army down to Sparta. Fight the KH army, but don't take the city (try besieging it with a smaller army to make the KH sally out.) Then attack Corinth and again get the garrison to sally out (don't take Corinth yet either.) Make Pyrrhus fight bravely, throw him into the thick of the fighting!

If Pyrrhus survives this, then from then on you're in new territory and can do what you like from then on. Good luck...you'll need it!

But if he dies, then as historically Epirus will become a lot more cautious and pull its forces back home, trying to make peace with KH and Macedon. In future Epirus will be an ally of Macedon.

In Italy, to be historical, hold Taras as long as possible - but don't reinforce the garrison with any troops from Greece. Just recruit locally. Don't even send a family member there unless he's actually Tarentine himself ethnically. Basically the Tarentines are on their own - Epirus will no longer send them any assistance until after the war with Macedon has been successfully concluded.
    Last edited by Titus Marcellus Scato; 01-21-2011 at 12:55.

I don't want Pyrrhos to die, i want him to be the bedrock of his Royal Dynasty so i'l make him conquer Sicily instead and lay the foundations of the Epirote Empire. Playing too Historically isn't my thing, although i do have house-rules and as i said like taking things slow. i just like to role-play and wanted to know how others role-played their Epirote campaign.

At the moment it is 265 BC in my game, i control Pella and Thermon in Greece and recently captured Rhegion after the Romani diverted their efforts north after i destroyed 3 of their southern armies haha. I wanted to know what ethnicity aside from the 3 tribes of Epeiros is nice to look-out for in marriage proposals and adoptions? are the the ones from Tarantinos good? the desrcription says they hate the Romani which is always good but they tend to be less loyal?

Thanks and Cheers!
    Last edited by Valion; 01-21-2011 at 13:59.
    Current Campaigns

Shouldn't that be re-conquer Sicily - or at least Syrakousai of which he was a ruler briefly before getting bored.

Shouldn't that be re-conquer Sicily - or at least Syrakousai of which he was a ruler briefly before getting bored.
    Oh yes indeed, thanks for the correction Quintus! I wont let Pyrrhus die until he "re-conquers" Sicily :)
    and wow he just got bored? Hahaha i'm begining to like Pyrrhus more
    Current Campaigns

Playing Epirus, my aim at the start is simply to push Macedon out of mainland Greece. (I let them keep their two little islands, just to give KH and the Seleucids something to worry about.)

Pyrrhus historically regarded himself as the true king of Macedon, being more closely related to Alexander the Great than anyone else left alive by that time. So that's why I make attacking Macedon my priority. Italy and Sicily will keep for later.

Well heres how my EPeirote Adventure Played out.

1. Abandoned Taras, shipped all the men back to ambrakia.

2. Blitzed Macedon, wiping them out, leaving them a settlement in Asia Minor

3. Started to slow down a bit and regained greece.

4. Disbanded most of my army. Leaving only 7-8 Bodyguards and a few levy phalanx for defence of all hellas.

5. 10-20 years of peace and prosperity with frequent getae raids

6. Make a makeshift navy of pirate shipe.(surprisngly effective(

7. Start a massive Army Buildup.

8.Go all out nuts and invade Kudonia, Mytilene, and Italy

9. Rome falls very soon.

10. Aedui whcich were getting beat up, I make them my protectorate and give them north Italy as a buffer.

11. Phyrrus Goes on a vacation and beats up sicily and sardinia/corsica.

12. Again, 90% of the Army is disbanded.

13. Construction of Level 4 barrakcs in Pella

14. Another Army buildup of 6-7 stacks of Thorakita and Agrarians and Molossans

15. Getae get beaten to a pulp, I take Kallatis and they leave me alone.

16. The Yellow fever and Makedones collide in Asia Minor.

17. I somehow get dragged into the conflict, I go nuts again and blitz Egypt, Asia Minor and Mesopatamia

18. I get bored and start another campaign as Saka :D

I always go for the two handed lance charges, I fare far better with them than the one handed long lance (Hellenic Med, Sacred Band and Getai BG etc.)

~Fluvius
    Strange....last time I checked the Unit cards those two lances have the same lethality and the same charge bonus. Is there something else that's missing or do double handed lances naturally kill more on the charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Grade_A_Beef View Post
    Strange....last time I checked the Unit cards those two lances have the same lethality and the same charge bonus. Is there something else that's missing or do double handed lances naturally kill more on the charge?
    Be careful of taking anything from the unit cards as current, they haven't been updated since 1.0.

Unit cards do not tell the whole story. One has to look at the EDU to get the full picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast