Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I still remember the good "old days"

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: I still remember the good "old days"

Shinano was indeed a fun map to have epic battles along with its close cousin Mino. Perhaps my favorite was Yamato, with its rolling topography, patchy woodlots scattered across the map, and a couple of steep hills that were very well placed (and not just stuck in a corner or on a map-edge) leading to quite a few "capture-the-flag" fights.
    High Plains Drifter

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

With winter coming up, it makes me miss Shogun. The music was so atmospheric it was incredible.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    But we still remember them with fondness.

I was a complete STW noob when it came out in 2000, when I received the Shogun box for Christmas it was as if Santa Claus sat beside me and gave me the most awesome game in the whole world. The only thing I cared about that Christmas was to go and play Shogun, and nothing else. Candy didn't even matter then.

And even now, I remember some of the feelings I had when I won my first battle or when I first saw the units.

Ahhh, such good memories.

Nevertheless, it's time to fire up ol' Shogun again. I miss the epic Yari Ashigaru battles.
    You speak to the hart, the new game, in the beatifull red box, and trully, never and for any game felt this agony to come back to my PC and continue the campaign.

The battles that were taking time like for ever to be over, some of them still remembered in detail.

Great days and glorious days when almost every battle, every victory was feeling as an achievement.

The battles that were taking time like for ever to be over, some of them still remembered in detail.
    Isn't it simply amazing that a TW game that would be considered simplistic by today's standard, could elicit such passion? I still remember several epic battles that took hours to resolve, but one in particular stands out....playing as Uesugi I sent #1 son on a port raid to Iyo with my best army in the hopes of dealing Shimazu a heavy blow...but in Shogun the AI gets to move last and sent five complete armies to counter. And as you cannot retreat from a port-to-port attack, #1 son had to fight to the death. Over two hours later, #1 son and his 959 retainers were dead, but it had cost Shimazu close to 4000 of his elite troops and several high-ranking generals.

My most epic battle, and one which I lost, but my son had to be avenged...... Talk about identifying with your family tree....

A few turns later, I returned with 2 armies, Iyo fell, and vengeance was mine

With winter coming up, it makes me miss Shogun. The music was so atmospheric it was incredible.
    It always amazes me how the adolescents over at twc can debate the quality of TW music from all the different artists through the years. I can understand the music to be a personal matter of taste with folks having their favorite composer, but to call Jeff van Dyke's music bad (which some folks over there claim), is incomprehensible. To be standing on a battlefield with all of your army lined up awaiting for the battle to commence....banners wafting in the breeze...the sun glinting off the steel of drawn swords....horses pawing impatiently at the ground, eager to be off....and hearing this in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IU7ia0XIGg

And then this:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5...203-Hayate.mp3

How can Shogun music from van Dyke not be the best?
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 11-01-2013 at 21:24.
    High Plains Drifter

Members thankful for this post (3):

Is there a version of the game available for win7 and all advanced soft and hardware??
    By reading some of the old campaign stories i desperately need to play it again.

Is there a version of the game available for win7 and all advanced soft and hardware??
    Not that I know of. I gave my original boxed version to my son some years ago and he unfortunately lost it. I then purchased a CD set from Sold-Out Software (UK-based, I believe) which I have currently installed. I have partitioned my HDD to contain a partition with WinXP Pro installed on it. It runs fine on my new hardware/video card w/DirectX10, with one caveat---I have to alt-tab the game to desktop and close it with the process manager. Any attempt to exit the game using the normal method freezes the game and the only way out is through a hard reset. I have no other problems with it, otherwise.
    High Plains Drifter

I've used Sold out software on a laptop with windows 7 without problems. Since I don't have the laptop at the moment I can't get you details on it. Maybe I could find out in a few days if you want to know.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Thanks for your replies guys, i will purchase the Sold out copy and give it a try, if it runs i will return with an AAR of the Takeda, my favorites, from these epic days.

Thanks again.

Well, there was one hitch I forgot to mention. The reinforcements come from all different directions, even with the patch. I don't know if that is because of sold out software or because of Windows 7
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

I suggest you try the Shogun Gold Edition, it's available on Amazon and other stores.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I suggest you try the Shogun Gold Edition, it's available on Amazon and other stores.
    I'd rather not spend my hard earned money to fix something that minor, especially as I don't know if the Gold Edition would give me compatibility issues. Are any other advantages that Shogun Gold has over the Sold out Software? If not, I don't think I'll bother, but thanks for the suggestion.

Arthur Conan Doyle

The reinforcements bug was fixed in a patch - can't remember which.

There's not much point in buying Gold Edition - it's the same as Warlord Edition, which is the same as original Shogun + Mongol Invasion.

Most of the shogun patches were just the program binary (the 'exe') and a few extra maps and/or projectile/troop stats files. Just get the latest Warlord Edition patch for the correct region, extract it and compare files, etc.

The only problem with that is that I am all patched up. I started a thread about my little reinforcement problem a while back, and no one figured out what the problem was.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Warlord Edition can't be found any longer if I'm not mistaken, it was just available back then in 2001. (wow, 12 years ago...)

Gold Edition is now freely available, hence my suggestion.

Proud

Been to:

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    ... +1 for Samurai Warlords - I believe they have restarted work on it?
    ... what?! Was just watching old replays of us (Puzz, CBR, TosaInu, R'as, Tomisama, Asanorin, Fool, King George, CanCritter, et. al.) playing SamWars. Such fun times ... my last online gaming runs that I played with any regularity. I'd be interested in the goings-on of anything like a revamp of it.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Good to see you Togakure.

(I was going to post the link, but saw that you found Puzz3D's post anyway)

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Hi there, old friend :). Yep, been off the 'net for a while so my shovel's dusty/rusty, but I still remember how to dig. Thanks for the heads up! I hope you are well m8.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Doing ok, just struggling along, thanks. Don't really play many games these days - I was always more of a hobbyist computer geek (*nix/Linux) than a gamer anyway - so just gravitated back to that... Tried revisiting TW (about a year ago?) but it's just not the same... instant hit of nostalgia, followed by the come down and then it just gets old...

I admire (almost envy) those who can still play and derive some enjoyment from STW/MTW...

I'm completely in the dark as to what people find interesting or compelling about the newer titles...

Member thankful for this post:

I admire (almost envy) those who can still play and derive some enjoyment from STW/MTW...
    I usually play STW once a year. I play one campaign and then it's back in the library 'til next year

I'm completely in the dark as to what people find interesting or compelling about the newer titles...
    Hear-hear I pretty much stopped after RTW I. I play a single campaign of that once per year, and enjoy it. I bought STW II, but still haven't installed it...been too busy with life

High Plains Drifter

I will never go back to TW games, but sometimes I get the inspiration during boring train or bus journeys to start modding the game... it's always about modding stuff, never playing, but then I just laugh and dismiss it... I think it's a kind of mental derangement... I never really finished my mod so there was never complete closure... p.s. I wonder if anyone has seen my old ring hanging around the .org? I wouldn't mind holding it just one last time...

Members thankful for this post (2):

Speaking as someone who came late to the TW games, reading helpful posts by Reluctant Samurai, Caravel and others was a significant part of the "good old days" and definitely added to my enjoyment. I especially appreciated the way that all those veterans out there never thought it was beneath them to answer my noob questions.
    Last edited by Brandy Blue; 01-11-2014 at 04:13.

Arthur Conan Doyle

I posted a lot of crap, bad jokes and pictures of camels, much of it inaccurate, and am just too forgetful to have ever been a TW nerd... it's fellows like you with just a few hundred posts, but making every one count for something and seeming to know just as much about the game anyway. And you're still here keeping the lights on.

//edit: RS is ok by the way, he only posted the occasional camel - nowhere near on the same spamtastic level as Andres...
    Last edited by caravel; 01-21-2014 at 14:47.

RS is ok by the way, he only posted the occasional camel - nowhere near on the same spamtastic level as Andres
    High Plains Drifter

But how are the camels doing? :P
    The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12