Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I still remember the good "old days"

Post I still remember the good "old days"

Hello fellow forum dwellers.

It has been far to long since I have given a life sign, yet now, perhaps out of boredom, being overworked, or many other things, I just felt that perhaps all of you, or perhaps to be more realistic some of you, would enjoy some "old" pictures of a this fine game.

So here are some of mine that I still remember (yes I have rams - DDR 5 on gazillions GHz - in my head as well ), 2 x Mori (same campaign) and 2 x Takeda (2 different campaigns).

Why do I treasure these pictures way back from 2005 ? Well look and see ...

I'm not an expert, yet when I play, I play on expert difficulty ...

Takeda Shingen is now a legend ( he is in my book )

Mori Motonari : Daimyo and perhaps oldest man in all of Japan

I hope these will bring a smile on you face. If not, then find something that will.

Best regards : Dex
    Last edited by Togakure; 01-20-2011 at 01:50. Reason: No pictures ? Pics fixed :) - Toga
    "One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
    One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
    One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle."

Member thankful for this post:

Vlixes 

Default Re: I still remember the good "old days"

I remember the good old days too, though in my case they were last year when I became a delighted STW noob. Its driving me nuts that I can't find time to play these days, but I am currently a noob in RTW and have yet to get back to the old classic. I haven't nearly enough time for one total war game, never mind two.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Well we appreciate that you've taken the time to stop in and say hello, Brandy Blue. Has it only been a year? I remember you posting before but it seems farther back than that. Whatever the case, welcome back.
    Last edited by Togakure; 01-20-2011 at 07:26.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Thanks Togakure. I've been around, just not in the STW section. Yes, its been about a year. My first STW post was last March, I think. I wish I'd been here in the old days when the place was more lively, but its an old game now. :(
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

An old game: but a great game! I've noticed over the years that the Sword Dojo tends to wax and wane in activity quite a bit. Sometimes, out of the blue ( ), a few posts suddenly turn into a nice collection of patrons exchanging write-ups of their campaigns, sharing stories of the good ol' days in MP, and offering up ideas on how to get even more out of this timeless classic. I'm anticipating increased activity after Shogun 2 is released. Some will return to roots after playing the new game a lot, some will play the old game while considering the new game, and some (like me) will console themselves with the old game until they can play the new game. So keep faith! It should pick up again.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

STW will live...forever! At least in the hearts and minds of those who have enjoyed it...and for those whose computers can still run it. Like me! :D
    Silence is beautiful

Thank you Togakure for fixing the picture links, seems I was more tiered then I assumed. I also did make an error in the description with the Takeda pictures as I intended to upload 3 pictures, the 1st 2 of the same campaign, the later from a similar one, but there I was more expansionist.

Sometimes I do enjoy to wait and see what happens. I either conquer fast, or turtle a lot. Rarely do I manage to get both in the same campaign.

Alas here is Takeda Katsuyori defending Shinano, with his brave samurai .. and ashigaru.

P.S. I still have that Oda campaign, just need to write my notes in a coherent text ... tempus fugit ...
    "One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
    One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
    One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Alas here is Takeda Katsuyori defending Shinano, with his brave samurai .. and ashigaru.
    terrific stats, but whom did you slay there? certainly not naginata :D

Quote Originally Posted by chaouki View Post
    terrific stats, but whom did you slay there? certainly not naginata :D
    A "horde" of Oda and Imagawa, mostly yari samurai, samurai archers and yari ashigaru. Oda had 1 naginata, and 2 yari cavalry.

It seems the Oda AI is fond of mixing ashigaru with heavy infantry, as i did see this more then a few times.

More to come at a later time ... i hope ..

The good old days are gone for good :)
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    The good old days are gone for good :)
    But we still remember them with fondness.

I was a complete STW noob when it came out in 2000, when I received the Shogun box for Christmas it was as if Santa Claus sat beside me and gave me the most awesome game in the whole world. The only thing I cared about that Christmas was to go and play Shogun, and nothing else. Candy didn't even matter then.

And even now, I remember some of the feelings I had when I won my first battle or when I first saw the units.

Ahhh, such good memories.

Nevertheless, it's time to fire up ol' Shogun again. I miss the epic Yari Ashigaru battles.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

This brings back memories. It's a shame my computer cannot seem to run Shogun properly anymore, because reading these things makes me want to play once again!
    The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I enjoy playing Shogun 2, it's a great game, but something about those 2d samurai and the battles fought on that more simplistic strat map just can't be topped! I'd play more if I didn't find myself at the business end of a katana campaign after campaign! :O
    Silence is beautiful

I might like Shogun better than Medieval. The gameplay is more ballanced, I think the graphics are better. Medieval is more exciting though. Also Shougn tends to randomly crash on me. That kills the amount of time I play it.

Shogun will always have a place in my heart as it was the game "I always wanted someone to make" as I grew up fanatically playing NES games like Nobunaga's Ambition and Shingen the Ruler. It was also the first game I was ever competitive in multiplayer in. (Well, beyond getting curbstomped once in games like Age of Empires and deciding it wasn't fun, haha.)

Also I'm so bummed to hear about TosaInu. You could never look at the site back when this was a Shogun-only website without seeing TosaInu's name everywhere on new mods or new utilities he'd made.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Blog Entries

Well, it was one of my first online games and without a doubt, the game with the heaviest impact to me.

I remember playing with a 56k modem and tons of trouble getting some good games going. Cable was pretty rare those times.
    We had about 30-40 Player online in the peak (around 6-7pm Eastcoast).

It was a heck of game! Still is. If you look at the games today, such as S2, you wish you could turn the time back. STW was easy and simple,
    but gave a lot of fun with some nice balance. Good times with many good memories.

Was my first ever online game and it was simply fantastic
    I too played on a 56k modem and my PC specs struggled with full units per side so I stuck to 1500 or 3000 koku games
    I remember Magyarkhan and his brilliance and other great players like Kocmoc, Subedai, Dan?? and Lordted ! ( !play Lordted, !play Lordted)
    Anyone with a 2meg (wow!) line made a great host for 2v2
    Loads of fun battles on Totomi and some epic battles on the more challenging maps
    Happy times indeed

Welcome back, sorry it's a bit quiet in here these days - but some of the old members do still show up from time to time.

I'm planning to buy Shogun 1 and play it again, any mod recommendations?
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

You will not need any to play this one

Just get it patched (there was only a single patch), and replace the Owari map with one from Nobunaga's Ambition as the original caused enemy troops to "hang" on some badly placed buildings. If you had the timer turned off, that forced you to cross the river and attack instead of defending the crossing

But if you have a copy of MTW you can play the Samurai Warlords mod (it is a MTW mod not a STW but it essentially is STW on the MTW-style map and game engine). Info for it is on the sub-forum for SW in the MTW Forum.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 09-18-2013 at 13:52.
    High Plains Drifter

Indeed, STW is one of the few games that really doesn't need mods. Just get the Gold or Warlord edition and patch it up.
    The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

There were no mods of any real note for Shogun - it just wasn't very mod'able when compared to Medieval.

@RS: I didn't know that about the Owari map...

+1 for Samurai Warlords - I believe they have restarted work on it?

I didn't know that about the Owari map
    I'm rather surprised you never ran into it considering all the games you've probably had

It didn't always occur when you fought in Owari, just when the AI brought a full stack, or a reinforcing army was a full stack. Being a two-bridge province allowed the player or the AI to decide which bridge (or both) you wanted to cross. I'm sure you remember the AI taking its' time lining up all of its' units in column in preparation to cross a bridge. But in Owari, there were several huts in the middle of the map on the side you cross from and an AI unit would inevitably get hung up on these huts and never reach a standing position. Because there was a unit still "marching", the AI would never launch the attack. I ran into this all the time in my Oda campaign's....for obvious reasons

Sometimes you could sneak an archer unit across the river and shoot the stuck unit enough to rout it, or reduce its' numbers to the point that it 'unstuck' itself.

Better to just edit out those buildings, which is what someone did

I believe they have restarted work on it?
    One of the mod creators [Puzz3D, IIRC] dropped in not too long ago after a long absence, so perhaps this is so
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 09-18-2013 at 16:23.
    High Plains Drifter

Thanks guys, I'll begin conquering soon...
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

I'll begin conquering soon

Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 09-20-2013 at 03:46.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    I'm rather surprised you never ran into it considering all the games you've probably had
    I have a hopeless memory, so that's probably why. If I actually went and played it, it would probably come back to me. The "two bridges" seems familiar. Is that the two bridge map with the hilly terrain on, I think, the western side where you can line up your teppo and yumi units, crank up the speed slider and....?

Owari does have hills on the side that you defend (or attack). I think there was one other province with two bridges, but for the life of me I can't remember which (Echigo, perhaps?)
    High Plains Drifter

Meh... not sure, what about Mikawa, that was a river crossing map? Or maybe it was Bitchu...?

Nope, both of those are single bridge. I went into the maps folder to look....unfortunately the screenie for each province doesn't necessarily show everything (the Owari screenshot only showed one of the two bridges...)
    High Plains Drifter

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Winter battles in Shinano were a lot of fun... Fog, hills, flatlands, perfect spots for ambushes and Yari Cavalry charges.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast