Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So Whats Next?

Default So Whats Next?

Haha maybe a bit soon but im interested in what people think. I know shogun 2 is still a month away but what period do u think they will base the next game in.

My thoughts are that they will redo Rome. i loved rome and the only reason i dont play it as much anymore is because the graphics and gameplay seem a little lame compared to empire haha. they may change the time peroid behind the game but im expecting Rome 2 to be the next game.

Other than that i would love to see a Greek Total war but i dont know how they could do that with Greece as the center of the game. either they do Greece in great detail and not much else of hte world or they do greece in only a few provinces and have lots of the rest of the world. either way would be cool.

other than that i dont see any new time period they cud fuction in. before Greece/Rome i dont think there is much they cud work with. Between Rome and medieval again not much to work with.

They cud possibly do a Mongol total war but the mongols nomadic lifestyle would make that hard.

They could also possibly do a china/middle east based one and have the mongols in there too just as a threat.

anyways enough rambling from me. so what do other people think!

Cheers Knoddy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So Whats Next?

I can see them redoing Rome.

Sure shogun was their first, but Rome made TW a brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

No doubt, its gonna be Rome. They tested how they could do it with Shogun, then came Rome. Now with new advances in shogun 2 they will work them out and apply them to Rome 2. I hate to say this, but Shogun is kinda like a tester to see how far they will be going with Rome so things might not be perfect, I pry to god its no where near as bad as empires release but from what I have seen it looks very solid so far. The first Rome was very huge and had awesome units so Rome will probably take a while longer before release. I am guessing like 2 to 3 years, unless they cut down a little but I doubt that they would seeing its CA and all, one of the last game studios that has my personal respect.

as a side note to Rome, I loved the burning pig units and the crazy women that would demoralize the enemy with its annoying howling! :)

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rome is the obvious choice, and a good one, but with Europa Barbarorum II upcoming I'd rather see them try something different. Ideally something with the same, smaller scope as Shogun. I'm thinking either giving Viking Invasion the full game treatment, the Reconquista, Spain during the Islamic invasions, or Italy after Rome fell with Lombards, Goths, Byzantines etc. battling it out.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil XIX View Post
    with Europa Barbarorum II upcoming
    On a long enough timescale, we will see EBII. But then, on a long enough timescale we will all be dead. I would welcome Rome 2 from CA.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I am hoping the next game will be ancient China, being somewhat similar to the style of combat and such of feudal Japan. Much like NTW following ETW, the theatres being somewhat similar. If that isn't the case, I would expect Rome to follow Shogun 2.
    Silence is beautiful

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sugam View Post
    I am guessing like 2 to 3 years, unless they cut down a little but I doubt that they would seeing its CA and all, one of the last game studios that has my personal respect.
    Shogun: June 2000 (MI: August 2001)
    Medieval: August 2002 (VI: May 2003)
    Rome: September 2004 (BI: September 2005, Alexander: June 2006)
    Medieval 2: November 2006 (Kingdoms: August 2007)
    Empire: March 2009
    Napoleon: February 2010
    Shogun 2: March 2011

Yup, I can see them taking longer.
    Last edited by pevergreen; 02-21-2011 at 08:49.

When Rome II happens, I can see them adding a greek cities dlc campaign like ntw's peninsular campaign rather easily.

Hard to say when that when actually is. Might as well be M3TW first. Or something competely different ;)

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

A logical and historically accurate expansion would be to the Korean peninsula.

After that, China would be fantastic, though not likely to be next. There have been so many wars in China - civil wars, rebellions, invasions by nomads, tribes, the list goes on and on. There's vast scope for a whole series of games there.

But probably won't be until after something in Europe or the Middle East. Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, and the Hittites would be a good choice.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aimlesswanderer View Post

After that, China would be fantastic, though not likely to be next. There have been so many wars in China - civil wars, rebellions, invasions by nomads, tribes, the list goes on and on. There's vast scope for a whole series of games there.
    Personally I would love a TW title set in ancient China. The Spring-Autumn/Warring States and Three Kingdom period offer rich pickings. Although I'm not sure whether they'd generate enough interest with it. Rome II would be the logical choice, with the Peloponnesian War as expansion pact.

Blog Entries

They have to appeal to the mass market.

Shogun works because every kid and his dog has talked about samurai and ninjas, even if they know nothing about the history. Rome works because the market knows of it.

China? Not so much.

I'm guessing Rome is next, too. It'll be the only one of their first 3 time periods without a sequel. China isn't popular enough with their primarily Western market but it could work as an expansion to Shogun 2.

Is Shogun 2 a new engine or the Empire engine? CA usually uses the same engine for 2 games.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

One must also take in to account, if the trend continues, that the next came might be a stand alone that many consider should have been an expansion pack. ETW and NTW for example. Perhaps the follow up to STW2 will relate to it in some way. I realize that one example isn't necesarially a trend, but something worth considering.
    Silence is beautiful

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

The Great War: Total War :D
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I agree. This would be a better idea than the Mongols.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt View Post
    Is Shogun 2 a new engine or the Empire engine? CA usually uses the same engine for 2 games.
    I think it is the same engine rebuilt. They made a lot of changes to its structure on how it calls back data to try to maxamize its performance.

Defender Troll Member Revolting Friendship's Avatar

I'm hoping for 1 or 2 expansions for Shogun2 before they move on to the next title.
    The candidates for expansions as I can see are:

1. Korean invasion. Really interesting campaign, with both Koreans, Chinese(ming) and Jurchens(manchu) thrown into the mix. This game would look more into handling limited resources of men and supplies, and securing and maintaining supply lines for resupplies and reinforcements, rather than developing cities and recruiting troops.

2. Mongol invasion. Return to the original expansion-topic, so less likely, however they could do it better, and more interesting this time.

3. Nanbokuchô era. Age of the southern and northern courts, a more consolidated all-japanese conflict with less contestants, set in an earlier period. This campaign would allow CA to focus more on story, intruiges and roleplay than just pure strategy, if that's something they want to look into... I suppose the Genpei war is also valid for such a setting but meh, too hyped and nagged out IMO.

4. Boshin war. The destruction (or not) of the shogunate and the restoration of imperial rule, phasing out of the old ways and the samurai caste and introduction of modern military/weapons. It could also feature the struggle of the real last samurai; Saigo Takamori, and his inevitable downfall. Really intruiging setting, however it would require quite some focus on 19th century firearms/tactics to be done right.

After the Shogun2 expansions, I'm hoping for any of these:

1. 17th century europe, the age of pike and shot, hopefully focused on the 30 year war. More focus on military campaigns, fighting battles, logistics and diplomacy than country development, research and recruitment.

2. Mediterranian, 8-5th century BC. The age of greek colonization. This game would simulate the conflicts in greece leading to colonization, and the establishment of colonies and their struggles. It would also feature conflicts with other local powers, the encroaching Persians, the rise of nations such as Rome and Carthage, and the conflicts between greek civilization and these emerging threats. IMO this period preceeding the Persian wars, Peloponnesian wars, and the rise of Rome is just as interesting, if not even more interesting than the latter. But clearly, this game would have as natural expansions, all these popular conflicts.

Or,

3. Mongol invasion PROPER. Starting with the rise of Genghis Khan, his consolidation of the mongolian tribes, continuing with his and his successors conquest of one part of the world after another. The challange for players would first be to emulate his success, and even outdo the Mongols by conquering regions such as India, Africa, Japan and Europe. This game would really offer a grand scale to TW, and present scores of diverse factions, either letting you conquer them as the Mongols, or resist and compete with some of the smaller factions.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post

Shogun works because every kid and his dog has talked about samurai and ninjas, even if they know nothing about the history. Rome works because the market knows of it.

China? Not so much.
    All they need to do is call it "Total War:Kung Fu". That will solve the recognition problem, but having to complete the 36 chambers of Shaolin in order to start the TW campaign proper might put some people off! But being able to recruit nearly invincible Shaolin monks who could defeat hundreds of soldiers each would be suitable compensation.

And I am sure, if they did it right, a TW game set in China would get plenty of extra attention from East Asia - not all of it pirated. There are, after all, millions of keen gamers out there... and I have always thought that there might be an Imperial ancestor in the family tree somewhere!
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Quote Originally Posted by Revolting Friendship View Post

After the Shogun2 expansions, I'm hoping for any of these:

1. 17th century europe, the age of pike and shot, hopefully focused on the 30 year war. More focus on military campaigns, fighting battles, logistics and diplomacy than country development, research and recruitment.

2. Mediterranian, 8-5th century BC. The age of greek colonization. This game would simulate the conflicts in greece leading to colonization, and the establishment of colonies and their struggles. It would also feature conflicts with other local powers, the encroaching Persians, the rise of nations such as Rome and Carthage, and the conflicts between greek civilization and these emerging threats. IMO this period preceeding the Persian wars, Peloponnesian wars, and the rise of Rome is just as interesting, if not even more interesting than the latter. But clearly, this game would have as natural expansions, all these popular conflicts.

Or,

3. Mongol invasion PROPER. Starting with the rise of Genghis Khan, his consolidation of the mongolian tribes, continuing with his and his successors conquest of one part of the world after another. The challange for players would first be to emulate his success, and even outdo the Mongols by conquering regions such as India, Africa, Japan and Europe. This game would really offer a grand scale to TW, and present scores of diverse factions, either letting you conquer them as the Mongols, or resist and compete with some of the smaller factions.
    First off, of course there will be expansions, not being well versed in this time period in Japan i have no idea what they are but of course other people are offering good suggestions.

my suspicions are that they will redo Rome while it was my fav game it had its problems and i know they would love to jazz its graphics up.

I dont see them doing another pike n shot game for a while. this might just be my personal dislike of another game similar to empire but i dunno i just didnt think it worked as well.

a greece based total war is an awesome idea with one major problem which i believe is why it hasnt been done yet. there are 2 ways to approach a greece based game.

1. have green in epic scale. all the different city states fighting etc for domination. can you rise to lead greece. However this would require greece to be huge to have enough provinces for all the city states. then how do u represent the rest of the world. the Persian empire was huge compared to greece so if greece has to be big to fit all the city states in how big will persia be.

2. they do greece in a simple style with maybe only 3-4 city states, and can accurately represent the rest of the worl. but then it just basically becomes Rome but a diff time period.

dunno if that made sense or not lol

and finally i would love to see a China/Mongol invasion based total war. I love the history of Ghengis Khan and the time. its a period of conflict. you could be one of the mongol tribes trying to rise up to lead the rest OR one of the Chinese empires fighting between themselves with the ever present threat of mongol invasion. the biggest problem with a game like this is the problem that mongols didnt really occupy cities. they raised most of their conquests to the ground. they didnt have cities of their own. But i mean maybe they cud use the horde feature from (Rome BI?) they control provinces but there is an army in each province which can build small improvments to the ger towns that follow them around. ie whereever your army is thats where your tent city is.

So thats my thoughts :D
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post

China? Not so much.
    They can tap into the vast Chinese market. There is no proper strategy game based on China. What there is is based on a slightly weird RPG/fantasy system.

It would get pirated to bits in China, of course, but even to capture a small part of that market would be a lot.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Put Shoggy 1, Med 1, and VI on Good Old Games, patched for newer OSes and graphics cards.

Minimal amount of work, guaranteed revenue forever. Naturally, they won't do it...

WW2!!

I also want China, there are so many periods to choose from, they can make a series of great games just based on China. And the terrain with the two main rivers also present a lot of opportunities for combined land and water combat. But it's been more than 10 years since they started and they still haven't picked China, so probably never happening.

Well there have to be interesting factions, China sure, are there enough factions? are they diverse or more or less the same with different starting positions?

I asked myself how early can they go? Can they go earlier than Rome, like some said with te Greek era, possibly. Earlier than that? I dunno, there is the period, around Hammurabi, (Babylonian king), then you have Assyria, Egypt, Baylonia and the Hittite Kingdom as the four mayor players, plus a bunch of smaller kingdoms. Question is it enough and what troop diversity would there be? From what I know there was little armour. apparently the Hittites were one of few or possibly only ones what could make iron weapons, meaning most would be bronze.
    I guess it's a possibility, but nothing that really shouts out at me. Like pevergreen said it has to have appeal.

I think and hope it's Rome 2 coming and I hope for more diversity in the none roman factions, plus an army scale-up. I mean a legion was 6000 men, Yeah I guess you can get that onto the screen, but you have to toss in a lot of AI controlled falangst to get there as it is. I'm not sure I really want a 6000 man army either, but I kind of want my wallet and population to limit my army size rather than the slots in the army stack, if you get my drift. The depletion of population in RTW was something I missed in M2TW.

A third Medieval total war would be welcome as well, mostly because I think they missed the feeling in M2TW, it's rushed, you begin smack in the middle and before you've assembled a decent army you're already in the renaissance, no matter that it's still the 11-hundreds, something they've tried to correct with 2 years per turn. Nay I say, do again and do it right. And leave the damn gunpowder in the renaissance where it belongs and leave it out of the medieval age where it doesn't belong.
    I wouldn't mind "the Grand Campaign" to be the scale of the Brittannia campaign either, in fact I'd like that very very much. The old map was very much stunted too, I mean the two northern most of the four medieval Scandinavian kingdoms were hardly on the map, only parts of them were. I'd love to see all of those in the game, even if they'd be both similar and minor factions.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Put Shoggy 1, Med 1, and VI on Good Old Games, patched for newer OSes and graphics cards.
    Second the motion.

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

I have just recovered from a bad flue. This has put another idea into my head :

Human Body TW, with Influenza Invasion as expansion.
    Explore the vast faculties of your body, build a strong immune system, organize the supply of vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates and fats and fight epic battles where you command thousands of white blood cells against various different tribes of bacteria and viruses. Realistic battle maps model the terrain of lung tissue, gut, spleen, kidney and the fameous liver, where you can relive the historic battles of heroic detoxification attempts.

:o)

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik View Post
    Well there have to be interesting factions, China sure, are there enough factions? are they diverse or more or less the same with different starting positions?
    Umm, obviously you know nothing about Chinese history - or China as a whole. At various times there have been so many sides in civil wars - royal factions, court factions, regional warlords, feral military commanders, various tribes, nomads, neighboring kingdoms, various rebels - that you'd have to decide who to leave out.

Not to mention the multitude of rivers, lakes, plains, mountains, forests, tropical rain forests.... are you aware that China is nearly as large as the whole of Europe?

Umm, obviously you know nothing about Chinese history - or China as a whole. At various times there have been so many sides in civil wars - royal factions, court factions, regional warlords, feral military commanders, various tribes, nomads, neighboring kingdoms, various rebels - that you'd have to decide who to leave out.

Not to mention the multitude of rivers, lakes, plains, mountains, forests, tropical rain forests.... are you aware that China is nearly as large as the whole of Europe?
    China indeed is huge and history is very rich, but is there enough variety between factions? Of course Mongols are there, Korea could be included one way or another and maybe even Japanese more or less depending on the era, but making TW: China right after Shogun 2 which has little diversity compared to Rome and Medieval might not be the best choice.
    This is something I believe is taken into account when deciding next TW game.
    Personally I'm hoping for Rome 2 with again reformed naval combat, as long as it isn't Medieval 3 so soon.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Blog Entries

Well, CA brings what has the best Money-effort ratio. This include the time spent and the time needed to bring something new.
    While i agree on Rome being the next big one, i rather expect one or two addons first. The engine Shogun run on is the NTW engine,
    i doubt that the same engine will be used for Rome. This said, to not bring 1 or 2 addons would be stupid. Its less work for some "extra" money.
    It also gives more time to work on the new engine and prepare Rome.

The addons will be well known candidates. I expect mongol invasion for sure and maybe we going to see korean. It could also be possible, that China will be an ownstanding addon.

China hardly will be a solostanding game, at least not after Shogun. Twice something asiatic wont happen, China has potential, so does another medival game.

Also consider, that CA try to make a big step into the MPlayer direction. They need some time, to gain experience and implement that in the new Game.
    There are many new things for MP-part, which need to get tested and only time will tell. How the Campaignmap and the skilltree works?
    Does the game generate enough online player to keep the matchmaker alive?

Its hard to start working on a new game, if you still dont know what you really want to do with some aspects of the game.
    One thing for sure, if the MP-part of S2 dont work like CA want, there will be even more heavy changes. They have to be done to get some food into the online market.

Summary.

1-2 addons for Shogun
    and Summer or late 2012 RomeII.

Thats my guess.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Rome 2 is likely an inevitability simply due to how huge the demand for it is. I seem to remember a poll way back when Empire was released that put Rome 2 right up there with Shogun 2 on a list of projects the fans wanted to see next. Before then, however, I'd like to see at least one expansion for S2. I'm sure we'll get it, but more than that i'd like to see the Japanese invasion of Korea of 1592, more specifically this.

It could be a lot of fun I think.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast