Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So Whats Next?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: So Whats Next?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Put Shoggy 1, Med 1, and VI on Good Old Games, patched for newer OSes and graphics cards.

Minimal amount of work, guaranteed revenue forever. Naturally, they won't do it...
    Thirded. Having these games patched up and reworked slightly to be compatible is worth more than any new game.

But, anyways, Rome 2 Total War is next. Obvious choice.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Thirded. Having these games patched up and reworked slightly to be compatible is worth more than any new game.
    OMG!!...... that's just.... awful.

Why would you want to play such ugly games? I mean my eye wants something; I'd rather play a mediocre shooter (with today's graphics) than an old game which is a torture to look at.

A waste of money BTW, nobody would buy it.

About China: Total War (don't hope it will be called this)
    I don't see why not? I mean was empire such a popular time? Hmm yes maybe in america but I don't think here in europe.
    Last edited by Drunk Clown; 03-01-2011 at 19:43.

Hmmm seems like a double post
    Last edited by Drunk Clown; 02-28-2011 at 18:16. Reason: Double post

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Clown View Post

Why would you want to play such ugly games? I mean my eye want's something; I'd rather play a mediocre shooter (with today's graphics) than an old game which is a torture to look at.

About China: Total War (don't hope it will be called this)
    I don't see why not? I mean was empire such a popular time? Hmm yes maybe in america but I don't think here in europe.
    They aren't suggesting that it "replace" a TW in the cycle, simply be provided for those want to play the old games on their new systems. It wouldn't interfere in the process of the production of the new titles.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Clown View Post

Why would you want to play such ugly games? I mean my eye want's something; I'd rather play a mediocre shooter (with today's graphics) than an old game which is a torture to look at.

Don't worry you probably couldn't handle the AI anyway.

Eyes candy, dumbed down games. No thanks.

I would buy both STW/MTW again if they fix the major bugs and the compatible issues. Don't need any new features.

Back to topic: something that I haven't seen before (in TW series). China would be nice. I'm not worry about units variety. STW didn't have many units but still managed to deliver solid game play.
    Last edited by pdoan8; 03-01-2011 at 03:07.

Quote Originally Posted by pdoan8 View Post
    Don't need any new features.
    So I can assume you won't buy Shogun 2?

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolting Friendship View Post
    3. Mongol invasion PROPER. Starting with the rise of Genghis Khan, his consolidation of the mongolian tribes, continuing with his and his successors conquest of one part of the world after another. The challange for players would first be to emulate his success, and even outdo the Mongols by conquering regions such as India, Africa, Japan and Europe. This game would really offer a grand scale to TW, and present scores of diverse factions, either letting you conquer them as the Mongols, or resist and compete with some of the smaller factions.
    I would love a game like that so much I think I might play it forever.

But I strongly suspect the next full game will be Rome 2. And that will make me happy too!
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

<code>ninja</code> Clan Nikodil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    WW2!!
    Oh, yes! Would require heavy changes to the engine, but done right it could be very interesting.

Kyokushin warrior Member Ultras DVSC's Avatar

Libya Total War! And some valuable bonus for those who can eliminate Gaddafi in the shortest amount of time!

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

I expect we'll get an expansion pack first, with naval battles being so important there are a few options.

• Hideyoshis attempt to conquer Korea.
    • Mongol Invasion
    • Gempei

The last one will be less likely, naval warfare wasn't too much. Though it will be nice to see old samurai wars too without spears and gunpowder.
    The second one could be interesting. The second invasion also failed because the Japanese executed some naval raids. What if the typhoon didn't hit the invasion force?
    The first one however is most likely. The Korean admiral Yi Sun-sin put up quite an interesting fight with his turtle ships and there's quite some war on land too. The player would have to think a bit about logistics. When marketed and made right, it could attract some Korean customers (active gaming community).
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu View Post
    The first one however is most likely. The Korean admiral Yi Sun-sin put up quite an interesting fight with his turtle ships and there's quite some war on land too. The player would have to think a bit about logistics. When marketed and made right, it could attract some Korean customers (active gaming community).
    This has been talked quite a bit about over at other forums, and some people think that it might be offensive to Koreans, since their history with Japan is what it is...
    Though I would very much like to see this sort of campaign, from both perspectives. A good idea regarding that campaign would be that Japanese would have to have port connection coming from Japan itself to Korea and then keep roads clear of raiders in order to receive reinforcements when going deeper. This could simulate the fact that one of the factors why Japanese invasion failed was because Koreans held key locations.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarky View Post
    This has been talked quite a bit about over at other forums, and some people think that it might be offensive to Koreans, since their history with Japan is what it is...
    That is true, yet I also think that many Europeans can be offended by NTW. Or the Japanese by STW MI by suggesting the Mongols ever managed to get past the beach. And turn the table around: The French by finally losing it, the Mongols about failing and also the Japanese about Korea.

The Koreans also have much reason to be proud and they do Yi Sun-sin

Though I would very much like to see this sort of campaign, from both perspectives.
    Yes.

A good idea regarding that campaign would be that Japanese would have to have port connection coming from Japan itself to Korea and then keep roads clear of raiders in order to receive reinforcements when going deeper. This could simulate the fact that one of the factors why Japanese invasion failed was because Koreans held key locations.
    Yes, the logistic part should be key in that game. I feel the Japanese player should also actively do something in Japan and not just 'await' reinforcements to come out of nothing (that shouldn't be huge like the current TWS2 campaign though).
    Ja mata

TosaInu

With naval battles and logistics the korean invasion is most likely to be the expansion, yes. And it has the potential, if marketed correctly to sell in Korea as TosaInu says.

Next game is very much likely RTW2.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

The propblem is, that the TW cycles have, in general, simply covered too much of known human history, Medieval covered an immense expanse of time as did Rome. I believe the future of the franchise should lie with the more limited scope of Shogun and Napoleon, otherwise we are going to run thin on time periods. Of course fantasy could always provide an interesting premise.
    If medieval is done again, which I hope it is (medieval 2 was awful), perhaps the focus could be on The War of The Roses of The Hundred Years War.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by bopa the Magyar View Post
    If medieval is done again, which I hope it is (medieval 2 was awful), perhaps the focus could be on The War of The Roses of The Hundred Years War.
    I hope they do Rome 2 before Medieval 3, but when they do Medieval 3 they definitely should pick a smaller time frame. Medieval 2 had great potential but it was ruined by many things, too large time frame among them.
    I'm very intrigued to see how Rome-era naval battles would play out, as well as turtle ships in the expected Korea expansion.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarky View Post
    I hope they do Rome 2 before Medieval 3, but when they do Medieval 3 they definitely should pick a smaller time frame. Medieval 2 had great potential but it was ruined by many things, too large time frame among them.
    I'm very intrigued to see how Rome-era naval battles would play out, as well as turtle ships in the expected Korea expansion.
    I agree,its kinda strange really,Medieval 2,thank god the expanisons were made.

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it is obvious that R2TW is next.
    but I believe it would be similar to EB II someway
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

STW and MTW were 2D.

RTW onwards is 3D.

M2TW was a remake of the 2D MTW. TWS2 is a remake of the 2D STW. While there are vast differences between the first 3D game and the upcoming one, I think a remake of any (old) 3D game is not likely to happen soon. The next title, after the xpack, will likely be something completely new. I agree that it might be too early for the real exotic ones like Total war: Hittites, but there's enough that will ring a bell with anyone.

Maybe the next step will include some early airwarfare; the naval battles we have today are also one that didn't fit in say STW. CA may very well pick up that challenge. So WW1? By the time it's going to be released it will be 100 years ago that it started.

More conservative titles would be located in China. China rings a bell with everyone: Kung Fu movies, Great Wall, Chinese food, rising economy, 0.01% customers is still 130,000 sold copies.

It will be anything but a remake, all titles are 3D now.

I agree about smaller timeframes, I'ld like monthly or two weekly turns in TWS2.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

STW and MTW were 2D.

RTW onwards is 3D.

M2TW was a remake of the 2D MTW. TWS2 is a remake of the 2D STW. While there are vast differences between the first 3D game and the upcoming one, I think a remake of any (old) 3D game is not likely to happen soon. The next title, after the xpack, will likely be something completely new. I agree that it might be too early for the real exotic ones like Total war: Hittites, but there's enough that will ring a bell with anyone.

Maybe the next step will include some early airwarfare; the naval battles we have today are also one that didn't fit in say STW. CA may very well pick up that challenge. So WW1? By the time it's going to be released it will be 100 years ago that it started.

More conservative titles would be located in China. China rings a bell with everyone: Kung Fu movies, Great Wall, Chinese food, rising economy, 0.01% customers is still 130,000 sold pirated copies.

I agree about smaller timeframes, I'ld like monthly or two weekly turns in TWS2.
    We are such a thrifty people :D
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Blog Entries

STW and MTW were 2D.

RTW onwards is 3D.

More conservative titles would be located in China. China rings a bell with everyone: Kung Fu movies, Great Wall, Chinese food, rising economy, 0.01% customers is still 130,000 sold copies.

Well, to get airplanes in this game would be some hardcore job to get done, im sure CA has some real fear to even think about this challenge.
    Each TW game has always some clustered standing involved, which is possible with groundunits, but a lot harder with airunits.
    This said, if we try to think ahead, they could just bring in the aireffect, as example - a bomb attack somewhere, but this would already move far far away from the basic idea of TW.

Im also quite unsure about heavy artillery and to reflect WW1, it would have very little momentum, at least if they want some small realism involved.

I personal dont expect any Game that will be in an age after NTW. What I lately thought of was some Kind of Inka war, from the amount of units there could be some good momentum. If its not Rome, than maybe a Alexander the Great TW? maybe Xerxes time :D

My guess is Rome, it has a very high momentum and everyone like Rom, the history of it.

It's going to be a big challenge, I agree with that. (Between you and me: I'm not looking forward to that kind of stuff; even NTW is too modern to my taste).

Greeks and Xerxes is also a contender, Alexander was an RTW xpack so I doubt it will be (all) about him again. Inkas would work too, as well as some African setting.

Yes, I love Rome too. I'm speculating about what will be next, not what I hope will be next. The first thought was China, but when I look at the elements being added, I'm thinking CA will add some airunits. STW-M2TW landbattles, ETW-TWS2 + naval battles, so + airbattles may be next.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    They have to appeal to the mass market.

Shogun works because every kid and his dog has talked about samurai and ninjas, even if they know nothing about the history. Rome works because the market knows of it.

China? Not so much.
    Well, for me back 11 years ago, Shogun Total War was a revolution. A game more fascinating than none of the games I'd seen before.

But most people back than didn't take notice of the, it had its fans and it still has, but it didn't sold in large numbers.
    I think this was mostly because nobody really cared back than about a strategy game based in medieval Japan (In fact, many european/american people may associate ninjas with China or even broader, East Asia, for instance)

Now, Total War has become a brand. With a broad fanbase.(Do you read this or do you read this?)
    A good China TW could definitely sell, but after S2TW, I would prefer Rome 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultras DVSC View Post
    Libya Total War! And some valuable bonus for those who can eliminate Gaddafi in the shortest amount of time!
    How about a Iraq Total War?
    Imagine all the lovely factions:
    - Sunni Al Qaida
    - Sunni Baath Party / Saddam Loyalists
    - Shi'ite Islamists
    - Iranian Revolutionary Guard
    - Turkish Army
    - 2 different Kurdish factions
    - U.S. Army/Airforce/Marine Corps
    - British Army

- And don't forget Poland!
    Last edited by Liberator; 03-12-2011 at 02:09.
    Better dead than a Coward - Gurkha motto

Question Future Titles?

I’ve just finished playing Rome: Total War for the gazillianth time and it really did make me think about future titles to the franchise.

I have owned every Total War Title in the franchise except original Medieval Total war and Napoleon (although I have played it), and I must say that the guys at creative assembly are brilliant at what they do. But I, and I imagine many others, would love to know what’s on the drawing boards for the developers.

This is why I decided I’d post this list of my most wanted eras on a few forums and see what thoughts they may provoke.

Eras They Have To Make

Rome 2 – Rome was an amazing title and the era was just as rich with history as the game was rich with new and innovative ideas. They have to go back to this title for so many reasons, the game basically invented the new breed of total war games that we know today, and I’d love to see the roman legions in awesome new graphics. The other factions of that era I think could have been a bit better represented and id like to see that in any remake, maybe even involving different periods of classic European history, e.g. Alexander through Romulus Augustus and the fall of Rome. I think a better emphasis could be put on the Greek cities also, maybe actually portraying the city states as individual factions, and then having them unify under one banner at a later date. I also think that the historic battles should be a little less Rome centred, for example I’d love to see the now clichéd battle of Thermopylae or Alexander’s battles through India, siege of Troy (I’m sure there are many other epic battles, from many other factions from the period known to classical historians). I would also love to see, in this or any other future title, to customise, even build, cities and defences (castles/forts/entrenchments depending on the era) perhaps based on build points depending on population.

China – China is just about the only area of the world that total war hasn’t yet touched, and with a dynastic history that lasted over 3000 years (with more dynasties being present from 25CE-1644CE) it would be foolish of them not to touch on this period of world history. They could also incorporate Genghis Khan and his Mongol horde which came around the 12th centaury.

Post Napoleon – WW1 – I think it is eventually inevitable that Creative Assembly and the Total War team have to show that they can continue adapting and innovating, the jump from medieval to empire was just as big as a jump from napoleon to a WW1 title would be, the only challenging think would be tank and aircraft warfare, which although making the game somewhat more interesting may make it a little easier. Possibly air battles should be fought separately for example bombing runs on enemy lines, or maybe as an ability like barrage in Napoleon.

WW2/Modern – This would make an amazing title, and with all the rage for modern military tech in games at the moment Total war could capitalise on this. Other game companies have managed to make similar games such as Tom Clancy’s: Endwar and I think a total war would make a more personal and freeform experience, compared to Endwar’s command points and capture locations. Modern ship battles would be an interesting experience in a total war. I think any modern total war game should be more political based, i.e. you don’t just make an alliance with someone then position your armies outside their capital and then just destroy it in real life, so you shouldn’t in game, the campaign AI needs to be smarter, and conquest should be more pact and treaty based, than just rolling your tanks in an hoping they don’t nuke you on any modern title.

Titles I want Them to Make

Star Wars Total War – The market is there, and I’m sure Lucas arts would issue the rights, but SEGA wouldn’t be too happy, plus I’m not sure a Sci-Fi title is what Total War want on their portfolio, the guys like their earth history.

Lord of The Rings Total War – A more plausible alternative title, I’m sure that they could go some way to securing the rights to make one, the market is most definitely there, and the LOTR universe was largely based on medieval British history (minus the orks and elves) The battles would look amazing and far surpass any LOTR RTS that has come before. However the big problem would be, once again, whether Total War want a fictional title on their resume, to which I think the answer is no.

Default Re: Future Titles?

The community overwhelmingly want melee combat, so only LOTR/China/Rome remains. LOTR already has a RTS franchise, so I doubt they would get the license.

Anyway, who cares - Shogun is the original and best timeframe
    O4B / Masked

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

R2TW is the next logical step so that will happen.

I want an M3TW or an E2TW. I will not buy any TW that goes fantasy, I want them to stay at least somewhat historical because that's the value of TW games.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I feel that a time frame of the 1860-1911 timeframe could be a fantastic idea. so many ideologies, technologies and culturak advances to be put in game. It's the perfect era for the what-if style of Total War, what fi Austria beat Prussie, what if Britain and France had gone to war over Egypt?

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Rome 2 was the obvious choice the last time and the time before that! So dont be so sure rome 2 is in the works... Who knows what they bring next im sure it will be a surprise to most as hardly anyone expected shogun2 this time round. All is good with me as long as the game plays well and stays away more recent conflicts such as ww1. I would even be happy with a fantasy game :D

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

I had a feeling STW2 was coming, so it wasn't unexpected for me to see them to do a remake of the game which started it all and really got their name rolling. I have a feeling RTW2 is coming next because of the high demand for it, so lets see if my gut feelings bat a home run for the 2nd time.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Put Shoggy 1, Med 1, and VI on Good Old Games, patched for newer OSes and graphics cards.

Minimal amount of work, guaranteed revenue forever. Naturally, they won't do it...
    I believe there are licensing issues that prevent this, I'd certainly like the original medieval on GOG.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast