Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So Whats Next?

Default Re: So Whats Next?

Rome 2 has been the highest in all fan polls, CA organised or otherwise, since the pre-release days of Empire. Another option CA has put forward in the polls especially after making Empire (hence introduce artillery) is WWI. This wasn't very well received in terms of popularity although it has supperters.

CA is bound to do a Rome 2 for certain due to the huge demand and the huge market of history buffs and enthusiasts for the period and it would probably take a new engine to "do justice to it" etc. Making S2 wigth an existing engine makes sense although it was a bit of a surprise - but i guess its also part of good strategic marketing not to be too predictable and maintain an element of surprise. S2 was always 3rd or thereabouts in terms of popularity in polls and it has history with CA so makes sense for a change of pace after the gigantism of empire in terms of concept.

My money is on Rome 2 for next.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

God, anything but Rome2. Boooooooring. Something new, please!

Shogvn 3

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Daveybaby View Post
    God, anything but Rome2. Boooooooring. Something new, please!
    And what would that new be? A lot of people seem to be interested in China, but I doubt it would be a smart choice given how it would be similar to Shogun 2.
    There aren't that many settings that can be used and Rome would be a refreshing change of pace to both Empire (still too soon for another gunpowder based game) and Shogun.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

There's plenty of non-gunpowder settings that are untouched as yet. Some of them are in antiquity and others in the dark/early middle ages.

Some such could be: the Greco-Persian wars/invasions; the Pelloponesean War; Islamic expansion in Egypt, Middle East and Persia in the 6th/7th century (although unlikely due to marketing reasons in the western world).

But yes, Rome probably tops the bill from a popularity and feasibility perspectives.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zarky View Post
    And what would that new be? A lot of people seem to be interested in China, but I doubt it would be a smart choice given how it would be similar to Shogun 2.
    There aren't that many settings that can be used and Rome would be a refreshing change of pace to both Empire (still too soon for another gunpowder based game) and Shogun.
    Anything at all. China, india, fantasy, cats vs dogs, anything. Just something new. If all we're going to get from now on is the same 4 games repeated ad nauseum then S2 may be the last TW game i ever buy.

I just dont see the point in doing rome again. What do you think would CA do differently between R1 and R2 (other than higher polygon models which become completely pointless when actually playing because nobody directs an army while zooming in on the general's nasal hairs) that would make the game worth bothering with?

I mean, R1 still works just fine on modern systems (not something you could say for S1 or M1), the campaign gameplay hasnt changed much since then (it changed massively since S1 and M1), the only really new mechanic since R1 would be naval battles (not really a big feature of that era AFAIK, theyre certainly not going to be that big of a deal compared to ETW's ones). So what's stopping you from playing R1?

And what exactly would you want/expect from R2 other than a lower framerate? I'm not just being an arse here, i actually want to know, because IMO rome was the weakest TW game so far, and i'm willing to be convinced that there's something that could be done to make a sequel worth buying, but nobody has yet said *why* R2 would be better than R1. Convince me.
    Last edited by Daveybaby; 03-16-2011 at 14:23.

New Member Member Jasper The Builder's Avatar

Hopefully something soon, as I won't be buying this game.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

OK Jasper, we get the picture
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Daveybaby View Post
    I mean, R1 still works just fine on modern systems (not something you could say for S1 or M1), the campaign gameplay hasnt changed much since then (it changed massively since S1 and M1), the only really new mechanic since R1 would be naval battles (not really a big feature of that era AFAIK, theyre certainly not going to be that big of a deal compared to ETW's ones). So what's stopping you from playing R1?

And what exactly would you want/expect from R2 other than a lower framerate? I'm not just being an arse here, i actually want to know, because IMO rome was the weakest TW game so far, and i'm willing to be convinced that there's something that could be done to make a sequel worth buying, but nobody has yet said *why* R2 would be better than R1. Convince me.
    Why I want to see R2 isn't because there is only 1 new mechanic (though I'm a naval enthusiast since ETW), I want to see R2 because every other mechanic finally works properly.
    Why exactly do you think Rome is the weakest TW so far? If it's any reason aside from not liking that era, it already has been or will be fixed by the time the next title comes out.
    And my final argument still is, there is only limited number of settings you can use and if you zoom too much there won't be any difference between factions. Rome didn't have that problem, neither will Rome 2.
    Fantasy is an interesting option, but there is a risk that it totally drops the ball and therefore hurting the developers AND the players.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Why I want to see R2 isn't because there is only 1 new mechanic (though I'm a naval enthusiast since ETW), I want to see R2 because every other mechanic finally works properly.
    Why exactly do you think Rome is the weakest TW so far?
    Heh, fair enough. I've been thinking everyone wanted R2 cos they loved R1 so much, but i guess wanting a version of rome that isnt crap is a pretty good aim. :-)

While we're at it, i wouldnt mind having the Shogun2 campaign and battle AIs retrofitted to M2TW.
    Last edited by Gregoshi; 03-18-2011 at 20:55. Reason: Profanity

Why exactly do you think Rome is the weakest TW so far?
    Combat pace is too fast, most melee is over before you can even bring around your cavalry.

No Rock-paper-scissors balance, or balance of any kind. Light cavalry beats everything except elite hoplites.

Main campaign is annoying, as unrest grows with city size, you spend much time sacking and massacring your own cities to get rid of the extra population.

Too much fantasy stuff, including an entire fantasy faction; the Egyptians.

I'd love to see a good Rome: Total War, though, I love the time period.
    Last edited by DisruptorX; 03-18-2011 at 19:06.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by DisruptorX View Post
    Combat pace is too fast, most melee is over before you can even bring around your cavalry.

No Rock-paper-scissors balance, or balance of any kind. Light cavalry beats everything except elite hoplites.

Main campaign is annoying, as unrest grows with city size, you spend much time sacking and massacring your own cities to get rid of the extra population.

Too much fantasy stuff, including an entire fantasy faction; the Egyptians.
    Heh, I meant to post almost exactly this, Plus:
    Constant rebel stacks spawning for no reason.
    Fancy campaign map which promised so much but actually made the game worse because the AI couldnt handle it.
    The AI utterly unable to mount any kind of challenge whatsoever, either strategically or tactically.

I know some of the other games since have had similar issues, but RTW felt like a massive step backwards in gameplay for the sake of graphics after STW and MTW.

I think M2TW was the largest dissapointment - ROme was only a let down because it followed my favorite iteration - MTW1

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Benihana View Post
    I think M2TW was the largest dissapointment - ROme was only a let down because it followed my favorite iteration - MTW1
    I loved MTW 2, but it did get very tiring looking at those same spearmen models for the majority of the game.

As for what's next, I am hoping for the Imjin War being the expansion, because I wish to play as Ming China. Playing a more gun based army in general would be great fun, though. I was very impressed that they put in fire-by-rank, as I was expecting guns to be extremely situational like they are in MTW 1 and 2.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Uhhh... this game has been out for, what, a week? R U guys bored with it already? Sad. Very sad.
    ========================================
    If it's a fair fight, then you didn't plan it properly. - Nick Lappos

Necessity makes even the timid brave. - Sallust

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtius Maximus View Post
    Uhhh... this game has been out for, what, a week? R U guys bored with it already? Sad. Very sad.
    I'd say ,China Total War(DUe to its complex history)

And India Total War(This land has always had empires and kingdoms)

Amercian Civl War Total War(It would be interesting to know what you could do..)

I like SHogun 2 though.

Maybe a Rome 2 with 100% historical accuracy(No mods please!)And more factions,new units,and bulit in the Shogun 2/NTW format.

CONQUEST TOTAL WAR
    Separate United Provinces Campaign
    1.Dutch Revolt (United Provinces, Spain, France, England, Holy Roman Empire)
    2.Thirty Years War
    3.Dutch Grand Campaign (1600-1650 AD)

GRAND CAMPAIGN
    1.Long Campaign (1550-1650 AD)
    2.Short Campaign (1550-1600 AD)

MAJOR FACTIONS
    PLAYABLE
    1.KINGDOM OF ENGLAND 2.FRANCE 3.SPAIN 4.PORTUGAL 5.OTTOMAN EMPIRE 6.POLAND-LITHUANIA 7.RUSSIA 8.HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE 9.MUGHAL EMPIRE
    NON-PLAYABLE
    MINOR FACTIONS
    1.DENMARK-NORWAY 2.SWEDEN 3.SCOTLAND 4.REPUBLIC OF VENICE 5.GENOA 6.PAPAL STATES 7.DUCHY OF PRUSSIA 8.LIOVONIA 9.GEORGIA 10.CRIMEAN KHANATE 11.KNIGHTS OF ST.JOHN 12.MOROCCO 13.PERSIA 14.GUJARAT SULTANATE 15.DECCAN CONFEDERACY 16.VIJAYNAGAR 17.KINGDOM OF AHOM(ASSAM)18.KINGDOM OF MANIPUR 19. MOG PIRATES(BURMA) 20.MAYANS 21.CARIB-TRIBES 22. INCA EMPIRE 23.TUPINAMBA 24.MAPUCHE

EMERGENT FACTIONS
    1. SAXONY 2.BOHEMIA 3.BRUNSWICK-LUNEBURG 4.SAVOY 5.BAVARIA 6.SWISS CONFEDERATION 7.BIJAPUR SULTANATE 8.BARO BHUMIYA (Bengal) 9.RAJPUT CONFEDERACY 10.UNITED PROVINCES

VICTORIA TOTAL WAR

Separate British Campaign
    1.Indian Campaign (1848-1850)
    Great Britain, Punjab, Afghanistan, Mughal Empire,Princely States
    2.Crimean Campaign (1853-1856)
    Great Britain, France, Russia, Ottoman Empire, Kingdom of Italy, Bulgarian Legion
    3. Opium Campaign (1856-1860)
    Great Britain, France, Qing Empire, Vietnam, Black Flag Army
    4. Grand Campaign (1860-1870)

Grand Campaign (1860-1870)

Playable Factions
    1.France 2.Russia 3.Austria 4.Prussia 5.Kingdom Of Italy
    Non-Playable
    Spain, Ottoman Empire, Qing Empire, Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium, Greece, Saxony, Bavaria, Wurttemberg, Hesse-Kassel, Kingdom Of Two Sicilies, Papal States, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Dagestan, Morocco, Persia, Afghanistan, Kingdom Of Burma, Siam, Vietnam, Korea, Aceh Sultanate, Sulu Sultanate, Sultanate of Brunei, Japan, Hanover

Emergent
    Ireland, Serbia, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Egypt, Hungary, Georgia, Cambodia, Johor Sultanate

Amercian Civil total war.

Honestly, I'm excited about the prospect of Medieval 3 and Rome 2 alike. I'm playing the hell out of Shogun 2, and I'd take either of those two games using the current (or slightly improved) S2 mechanics and engine. Throw in the special agent videos of S2 as well, please! One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that, in my opinion, seige battles are finally starting to feel right in S2. The combination of garrison troops, capturable defensive structures that can shoot arrows on their own, walls that function well as defensive cover--I hope they keep improving this part of the game for the next ones!

Rome 2 why does everyone want it?

I mean,Shogun 2 is the new business.Not Rome 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shogunate View Post
    Rome 2 why does everyone want it?

I mean,Shogun 2 is the new business.Not Rome 2.
    Because

1) like it or not, the Roman empire is much better known and much more popular than Japan and the Sengoku Jidai period.
    2) this thread is about what is next, not what is now.
    This space intentionally left blank

That is unfair.
    like it or not, the Roman empire is much better known and much more popular than Japan and the Sengoku Jidai period

Why rome,why not carthage ,why not other factions?

Japan and Sengoku Jidhai is much better,and that was the only moment in history where it was truly dangerous.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Total War: Back to the Future

Reality is altered! Doc Brown's torn a hole in the space-time continuum with his recent jump into the past, causing realities, past, present and future to collide in an battle the likes of which the world may never see again! Set in a warped version of our world, all your favorite time periods from Total War games past have been thrown into the arena to do battle.

A time storm has warped the continents into masses now unrecognizable. In their place are terrain and cities completely unlike before, and occupying them are the greatest civilization time has ever seen. Rome, Medieval Europe and the Middle East, Sengoku Japan, the Successors of Alexander, Tribes of the Russian Steppes and Revolutionary France with Napoleon at its head have all been hurled into this new world, bound only by their confusion and mistrust for one another! And lurking in the mists of time.. yet more challengers are ready to appear at any moment, the time stream is becoming more unstable with each passing year!

Its a total war experience like no other. As the greatest military minds of the last two thousand years now find themselves at odds.. the only question shall be: who's side are you on? Now is the time. Let Total War begin.
    Last edited by Monk; 04-21-2011 at 17:55.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I don't think my laptop's power supply can give me 1.21 Gigawatts.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I still think Middle Earth: Total War could be fantastic, or some other fictional fantasy license. RuneWars, maybe? Or World of Warcraft? Or Conan the Barbarian? It would be a blast to play with the Total War engine and mechanics in service of a loosely Medieval fantasy world that didn't have to worry about the concept of historical accuracy. I'm not suggesting making it into a roleplaying game by any means--just replace the Medieval or Shogun armies and campaign with a recognizable fantasy setting. Keep the concept of magic to a minimum so that it has no greater affect on the game than the current artillery units and special abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Total War: Back to the Future

Reality is altered! Doc Brown's torn a hole in the space-time continuum with his recent jump into the past, causing realities, past, present and future to collide in an battle the likes of which the world may never see again! Set in a warped version of our world, all your favorite time periods from Total War games past have been thrown into the arena to do battle.

A time storm has warped the continents into masses now unrecognizable. In their place are terrain and cities completely unlike before, and occupying them are the greatest civilization time has ever seen. Rome, Medieval Europe and the Middle East, Sengoku Japan, the Successors of Alexander, Tribes of the Russian Steppes and Revolutionary France with Napoleon at its head have all been hurled into this new world, bound only by their confusion and mistrust for one another! And lurking in the mists of time.. yet more challengers are ready to appear at any moment, the time stream is becoming more unstable with each passing year!

Its a total war experience like no other. As the greatest military minds of the last two thousand years now find themselves at odds.. the only question shall be: who's side are you on? Now is the time. Let Total War begin.

More factions,great leaders of history.
    Hey thats actually a really good idea!

You know I had this idea,that when you play multiplayer battles,you could lets say ,go to the MP list.Find battle.go in and choose your faction,but not just any faction ,But lets Medieval total war 2 troops fight against Shogun 2 troops,or NTW troops vs ETW.

Yes,Middle earth ,lord of the rings ,its perfect for total war.I just wish they did one on the American civil war.

It would be a blast to play with the Total War engine and mechanics in service of a loosely Medieval fantasy world that didn't have to worry about the concept of historical accuracy.
    Nah.I'm a fan of historical accuracy.then it would like rome all over again.No,I'm terribly sorry,But I must disagree with you,all of this had been tried in rome total war

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I too would like to see a Medieval 3 with Shogun 2-esque like sieges. Being a fan of Medieval 2, a third would be a plus in my book. Medieval up to par with Shogun 2 with other yet to be seen features a la Shogun 2 would be such fun!
    Silence is beautiful

Personally I think M:TW3 would work the best. Sure there are a lot of factions in S:TW2, but they're not half as distinct as Europe in Medieval times. Europe had 4 major religions and a much greater unit roster to choose from.

Would love to see a TW which covers the American Civil War. The amount of area to conquer would be quite large. Only downside, aside from that CA is not great with gunpowder units, is that there are only two factions. But there would be a lot of unit veriaty and techs to explore.

A next R:TW is probably on the agenda, though.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast